Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Agreed. Totally lackluster game. I don't like it.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I hope you enjoy Dragons Trap Prfsnl, it's one of my favourites in the series, and my favourite game for Master System too.

That said, the remake is probably the best way to play it - it's mostly the same (even the physics) but you can put on nicer music and graphics if you like, and the only changes they made removed some of the more cumbersome elements of the original and streamlined them.

I think play the original and then at some point later try the remake, as it's easier to appreciate coming at it from that perspective I think.

Also, I don't know if you're planning to play on original hardware or emulate it, but if you get the option to play with the FM soundtrack, then I'd pass. I think in this case the PSG version is superior.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

alienjesus wrote:I hope you enjoy Dragons Trap Prfsnl, it's one of my favourites in the series, and my favourite game for Master System too.

That said, the remake is probably the best way to play it - it's mostly the same (even the physics) but you can put on nicer music and graphics if you like, and the only changes they made removed some of the more cumbersome elements of the original and streamlined them.

I think play the original and then at some point later try the remake, as it's easier to appreciate coming at it from that perspective I think.

Also, I don't know if you're planning to play on original hardware or emulate it, but if you get the option to play with the FM soundtrack, then I'd pass. I think in this case the PSG version is superior.

Thanks for the tips. I have a copy of the game for my SMS - and I could play that on my Retron 5 (or on original hardware) - but I also have the game for the Wii Virtual Console. That is probably the version I’ll play, and I would like to give the remake a shot sometime too. Unfortunately, however, I don’t have a system new enough to play it...
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1. Tyranny (PC)
2. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)
3. SUPERHOT (PC)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)*
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
6. Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)
7. Nine Parchments (Switch)
8. X-com: UFO Defense (PC)
9. Chocobo Racing (PS1)
10. Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak (GBA)
11. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)
12. Dragon Quest (3DS)
13. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below (PS4)
14. Dragon Quest II (3DS)
15. Kirby Star Allies (Switch)
16. Hearthstone Dungeon Run (PC)
17. My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS)
18. Tales of Legendia (PS2)

19. Retro City Rampage (3DS)

I've always been pretty interested in this game. A retro-styled GTA-style game full of both GTA and NES-era pop culture parody seemed like something right up my alley. I got it in one of the Humble Nindie Bundles ages ago, and I finally had time to sit down and play through it this weekend. It took me a little over 5 hours to get through, and it's actually pretty good at capturing a lot of the good (and the bad) of GTA titles in MANY ways.

It's a top-down action game that's also a sandbox game. You can get different weapons you can switch between, you can jump and stomp people (which is actually more overpowered than you'd think, for several reasons), and there are mission nodes and activity nodes around the city you can go play to progress the story or just fuck about respectively. I personally found the missions far more entertaining than the activities, and that mostly has to do with how the game controls.

The activities are so hard that they're not very fun largely because of the game's mechanics. Maybe it's just because I'm playing it on a 3DS that has no second joystick (effectively), but the game really feels like it was meant to be played like a twin-stick. The game has this weird auto-targeting system with its gunplay that makes running around and shooting stuff really awkward, as there is no strafe button but instead once you look at an enemy and start firing, you character will automatically start strafing. It's certainly better than nothing, but it's hardly ideal, and makes the already quite difficult challenges FAR less enjoyable just because of how frustrating they are to play. Your character also moves very slow but very fast. Walking across the city can take ages, but the screen is zoomed in so far, that when you do get some speed it is very difficult to actually control where or how you're moving at all. This can make any stage that requires speed to race around (in a car or in the pegasus-boots-inspired power-up shoes) a lot more frustrating than they need to be with how much the police focus on just running you over rather than shooting you.

On that note, like a lot of the GTA games, for all the fun, parody-filled levels, there are a handful of absolutely infuriating ones as well as with ones where the parody is SO on the nose that it becomes grating or irritating. The levels based on old games are really hit or miss. The Jackal-/Metal Gear (the NES one)-inspired level is really good fun and near the start of the game, but the "Sweat Bomber" level near the end is absolutely infuriating and is where I lost most of the lives I lost in the game. I also lost a TON in the Smash TV-inspired section (which goes on WAY too long), but that was mostly due to how annoying the controls are. That level is where I discovered just how good the stomp is (a dedicated ground-pound, not just jumping and landing, even though jumping and landing does do a little damage) just because it uses no ammo but is also very powerful.

The story and parody are silly nonsense, and it doesn't take itself seriously at all. From starting the game as a henchman for a Joker-like character, to stealing a Bill & Ted-style time machine and getting trapped in the future to help a Doc Brown-like character fix your time machine is all silly nonsense. The only thing that really hinders reveling in the parody is, again, just how frustrating so many of the missions can be. The Rad Racer-inspired final stage against the Dr. Robotnick-inspired arch nemesis of Doc Brown absolutely drove me mad.

Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended. There isn't NO fun to be had on this game, but on 3DS, it's a decent enough time-waster. That said, there are so many other really good games that are far less frustrating on the eShop that it's difficult for me to just come out and outright recommend a game that frustrated me so much with how it plays. If you've already got it, you'll probably get some enjoyment out of it, but if you're only just getting into eshop titles and want something with a far more definite fun-factor, I'd recommend BOXBOY! any day of the week.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 51
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
45. Gundam Breaker 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5
47. Corpse Killer - Sega CD 32X - April 9
48. Corpse Killer - Saturn - April 11*
49. Area 51 - Saturn - April 16*
50. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - Sega CD - April 17
51. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - PlayStation 4 - April 28*

51. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - PlayStation 4 - April 28

This is literally my new all-time favorite game. Over the course of three weeks, I sank over 430 hours into this game and added it to the VERY short list of games for which I've gotten every trophy/achievement. This game is (almost) literally everything I could possibly want in a video game - turn based strategy, giant space robots, huge explosions, gargantuan lasers...the only thing keeping it from being a LITERALLY perfect game for me is scantily clad anime girls.

SD Gundam G Generation Genesis is basically what would happen if you had a Fire Emblem/Gundam crossover. The mobile suits themselves are done in an SD (super deformed) style, but it's not so severely SD that it stops looking like actual Gundam mobile suits; they just looks a little shorter and fatter than normal. If you include the DLC - all of which can be acquired for around $15 although you'll need a Singaporean PSN account - there are over 500 mobile suits in the game, and it spans the first 100 years of the Universal Century, all the way from Mobile Suit Gundam to Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn plus Hathaway's Flash DLC. There are dozens of warships to choose from, over a dozen SFS sleds, and hundreds of pilots you can scout to serve on your teams (plus the ability to make your own custom pilots) along with dozens of modifications that you can produce and add to your warships and mobile suits to improve their performance.

For people like me who are still getting into Gundam lore and have only really seen the One Year War (although I did finish watching Zeta Gundam the day after I finished this game), the game's retelling of the stories is a great way to get interested in the series and games I haven't experienced yet. You do get some major plot point spoilers this way, but it only hits the major plot points, so there's still a TON of material that you won't see here. The fact that you get to experience (or, if you've seen a lot of Gundam, re-experience) so many parts of the Universal Century gives the game some fantastic depth and appeal.

The visuals are great, but the real star of the show is the music. It's music from the various games and series, naturally, but it's so freaking great. Gundam has some incredible (and, in certain series, thoroughly and excessively 1980s) music, and that music is preserved gloriously in this game. The voice acting - all the original Japanese - is also top notch. This really is the Gundam fan's Gundam game, and it thankfully got an English version in Southeast Asia for PlayStation 4 and PlayStation Vita (if only Bandai loved us Americans) although the latter is pricey - the average price at the time of writing seems to be about $85. It's also been ported to Switch, although that version has yet to receive a Chinese or English release.

SD Gundam G Generation Genesis is perfection. Pure, unadulterated perfection. Okay, so it's not LITERALLY perfect; there are are some translation issues here and there, but that's really the only issue I noticed. It's NEARLY perfect. 99.99999% perfect. Just like Zeon Zum Deikun and Bright Noa. Literally the two most perfect human beings who have ever existed (albeit in a fictional world). The English version can be a little pricey to import - the average price seems to be around $60 right now although it fluctuates a lot - but it's SOOOO worth it. If you like strategy games OR Gundam, you need this game. Either or. It's a perfect game for fans of either. IT'S PERFECT.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Over the course of three weeks, I sank over 430 hours into this game

I... I don't think this is possible. :lol:
marurun

Post by marurun »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Over the course of three weeks, I sank over 430 hours into this game

Unless you're a Time Lord! Elkin is Dr. WTF!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:

Three weeks had 504 hours. It's completely possible; he even gets 3.5 hours of sleep a night at that pace.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

I mean, it wasn't EXACTLY three weeks - it was like three and a half weeks - but I spent all of my free time playing it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I'm legit astounded. 430 hours might be my annual cumulative game-playing time.