Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:58 pm

alienjesus wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:ah hell yeah gettin some WonderSwan Color up in hurr

Do you have one too? I only got it fairly recently and with a handful of games. Finding affordable games which are playable in English seems tough!

Yeah, and I have the three Final Fantasy games CIB.......... and that's it! I have a small wishlist and hope to get more stuff soon.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:12 pm

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 45
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (1 Game Beaten)
45. Gundam Breaker 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4

Bandai Namco has a bad habit of neglecting us Westerners when it comes to Gundam games. We've gotten several, but it seems like for every Gundam game that we get, there's three that we miss. Fortunately, a lot of games that don't make it out of Asia still end up having English subtitles in Chinese or general Asian releases. One such game is Gundam Breaker 3, and if you can get the Breaker Edition, you get all of the DLC on-disc since the PlayStation Store is locked based on your account's region.

The Gundam Breaker sub-series has a unique premise. Instead of flying giant robots in space fighting some war, you play as some random dude who likes to build Gunpla, the plastic Gundam models. These Gunpla models then interface with some VR-type machine and lets you battle other players' Gunplas. It provides, therefore, a much more light-hearted story than most Gundam games, but what it also allows for is much greater customization. Want the head of a Zaku II, the body of a GM, the arms of a Guntank, the legs of a Rick Dias, and the beam saber and beam rifle of a Zeta Gundam? Go for it. Want to attach seven Mega Particle Cannons to your chest and annihilate everything in your path a golden beam of justice? It's all you, man. Want all of that in a hot pink paintjob with black and electric blue accents? You got it. The customization options are nigh infinite, and you can merge plastic or even other components with your equipment to level it up, strengthening it and keeping it on par with increasingly difficult enemies.

The game's main story follows the Gunpla team of a small Japanese shopping arcade that's being pushed into obscurity by the encroaching monopolization of a massive American retail conglomerate. Your team takes part in Gunpla tournament to try to get the shopping arcade's name out there and bring in more customers to revitalize it. You play through the City Cup, the regional tournament, the Japan national tournament, and eventually even the world tournament. Then some plot stuff that I won't spoil happens. It's a fairly light-hearted story, and it's not exactly an exemplar of compelling storytelling, but it serves the purpose well enough. The game is broken into five chapters with roughly 13 missions in each chapter, but there are also online modes, arena battles, and, if you have the Breaker Edition, a good number of DLC missions to play.

Visually, the game looks absolutely fantastic. I'd love to have the Vita version to play and compare, but it looks glorious on PS4. Set your Gunpla's paint to metallic and high gloss, and it's like you're piloting a solid gold robot. If you're as tacky and gaudy as me, anyway. I guess you could give it normal colors, but what's the fun in that? The absolute highlight of the game in my opinion is the customization options. No two players will likely ever have exactly the same mobile suits, and with the merge feature, any mobile suit setup can be good if you put in the effort to craft it into the role you want. It gives the player total agency over his or her Gunpla, and that's EXACTLY what I've always wanted in a Gundam game - the ability to build whatever crazy ass Gundam I want.​

Gundam Breaker 3 is an absolute gem of a Gundam game, but it's not perfect. The gameplay does get somewhat repetitive, and it's probably best played either with a friend or in short bursts, but it is still absolutely fantastic. It's not exactly cheap - roughly $60 for the Break Edition with English subtitles - but it's well worth it if your'e a fan of Gundam. I can't recommend this highly enough.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:43 pm

MrPopo wrote:I also do not understand why you and Ex rank Gun Hazard above Metal Warriors.

Gun Hazard isn't perfect; For example I dislike double tapping to dash and how you lose momentum after landing from a jump, and the first levels are pretty bland. But there's a lot more to it than the others - the hub map which lets you choose your own path, shopping and mech customization, stat development, better storytelling and sense of progression, cpu allies, etc. The attention to detail is better overall and the aesthetics are great too.

I recommend using a 6-button controller for Ranger X.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 pm

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC

When you hear the name "Bioware", what do you think of? I bet it's RPGs with large amounts of party interaction and lots of critical acclaim. But what you may not have realized is that this was just the backup plan for the studio. Originally, they made mech games. Well, mech game is more appropriate, as they seem to have realized that they bit off more than they could chew as a new studio and then went and made Baldur's Gate instead, figuring it would be easier. As a result, Shattered Steel stands alone among their back catalog.

Shattered Steel came out around the same time as MechWarrior 2: Mercenaries. In it you pilot a bipedal, usually bird shaped mech on a series of missions against alien invaders of human colony worlds. These aliens are weird mixtures of biological and technological elements, and they tend to come in a couple of forms; your insectoid four legged walkers and your birdlike two legged walkers. While the human mechs are animal inspired, the aliens are much more intended to evoke the idea of them being actual animals. The game is a bit of mash up of ideas. From X-Wing it takes the idea of power management and you having a regenerating shield that is intended to take damage, whereas if you let your hull take hits you quickly die (though the game doesn't have subsystem damage like X-Wing). From MechWarrior 2 you have customization based on weight limits and slots. Every mech slots in a reactor (which affects regen rates of weapons) and a shield generator (shield strength), as well as a mount for a primary weapon. Then you have between one and four secondary slots, which is filled with missiles, mortars, and secondary cannons. Generally, the primary weapon has unlimited ammo (but it regenerates based on your reactor) while the secondary weapon is ammo based. The exceptions are that there are a couple of beam secondaries that regenerate shots and there is an ammo based primary (a chaingun). The total weight of all your gear must be under the weight limit of your particular mech type, and your max speed lowers the closer you get to your max equip weight.

One thing the game does that was novel was the ability to do terrain deformation. While you won't really see this til the later portion of the game (when you get sufficiently heavy ordinance), you can make divots in the terrain, and with the nuke a giant hole. This can be used tactically to trap enemies if it weren't easier to just shoot them straight up. It ends up serving as a curiosity more than anything, except in the very last mission where it's almost required to take out the last boss. Another interesting thing about how the game plays is that nearly every non-flying enemy is composed of legs, a body, and a head. For two legged mechs, destroying the legs is a kill, as well as destroying the body. For four legged mechs, destroying a leg doesn't affect them, so you need to kill the body. Destroying the head of either mechs removes all their weapons and leaves them helpless; this can be useful in some missions as living shields, as friendly fire is definitely on. The game does not use a throttle system like MechWarrior; instead you move forward and backwards and turn your legs left and right, then use the mouse to control the tip of your upper half and to torso twist (though you can't do a full 90 degree twist to one side, which makes circling much less effective as a tactic). Another somewhat weird mechanic is that as soon as you complete your mission objectives you can end the mission, even though you might be hip deep in enemies and about to die. It's treated as if you poof away when you quit.

Unfortunately, overall the game shows the inexperience of the studio. Some of the missions have piss poor balance (a base setup mission and the final mission), with some complication coming from the fact that you need to defend units while splash damage is huge, including from enemies dying. So you can do a great job of killing attacking enemies but they crash into the units you have to protect and you lose. There is also one mission very early on which uses triggers which are completely non obvious; the mission objective is to destroy three enemy spawners, but the spawners don't show up until specific initial enemy units are killed. So while you think you're doing a good thing by clearing the base initially (you have to defend it), you end up hurting yourself in the long run by doing so. You instead want to kill one unit, then the spawner it triggers, then come back and do the next unit. And you won't realize this happens. The weapon balance is also pretty wacky from the enemy side. The hitscan lightning weapon will tear your shields a new one, and you generally need to know an enemy with that weapon is there ahead of time until the very late game where you have an Atlas equivalent with giant guns that can kill it before it kills you while you're flat footed. It doesn't help that the lightning enemies are some of the highest armored enemies. Another thing that stands out is that all the energy regeneration mechanics and hit detection is based on your clock speed; if your machine runs too fast then there seems to be a rollover and the net result is you regenerate extremely slowly and you miss with half or more of your shots. You have to set a 486_slow CPU type in Dosbox to get things working right (and GOG does not set that for you). And even then one early game enemy is still a pain to hit (save your missiles for him and get that splash damage going).

I'd say this game is mostly a historical relic, and I wouldn't recommend it if you aren't a major mech fan who wants to be a completionist.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:33 am

I saw someone had beaten Shattered Steel and immediately wondered who had put themselves through pain. Then I saw it was Popo.

I was unaware of the clockspeed issue, which explains the trouble I had with the game. I tried playing it last year and managed to get through that spawner mission, but it definitely turned me off of the title in the process. The level designs just felt so frustrating, and I thought I was missing and getting my butt kicked purely due to balance issues. Shattered Steel does not hold one's hand whatsoever. I had no idea I was supposed to be killing specific enemies to trigger the spawns. That was never explained. And worse yet, when I focused on clearing the base, I managed to kill two of the required enemies and suddenly had two spawners spitting units onto the battlefield. I beat it and quit right then. Good on you for sticking with it, Popo, and figuring out things I never noticed.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Ack

by Ack Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:49 am

1. Jungle Book (SNES)(Platformer)
2. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (SNES)(Light Gun Shooter)
3. Might and Magic VI (PC)(RPG)
4. Revenant (PC)(RPG)
5. Neo Turf Masters (NGPC)(Sports)
6. Fatal Fury: First Contact (NGPC)(Fighter)
7. Pac-Man (NGPC)(Action)

8. Golden Axe (Genesis)(Hack and Slash)
9. Blood and Bacon (PC)(FPS)
10. Gain Ground (Genesis)(Strategy)

11. Flicky (Genesis)(Platformer)
12. Zombie Shooter 2 (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

Sigma Team is a Russian game development group that specializes in two things: shooting aliens and shooting zombies. In the 2000s, they released a handful of games in their Alien Shooter and then Zombie Shooter series, along with a variety of expansions that added things like modes with high score attacks as you take on waves of enemies. But the core of their games generally involved picking a hero, plunging into some kind of facility, and getting better weapons and gear to lay waste to hordes of tougher and tougher opponents.

Now I've played through the Alien Shooters of the 2000s and now the Zombie Shooters, and one thing I have noticed is that over time the games became more ambitious, incorporating more and more RPG mechanics and bigger plots. The tech side also slowly but steadily improved, so while I found myself getting stuck on walls and debris often early on, it happened only twice in Zombie Shooter 2. This game from 2009 is the logical continuation and enhancement of a formula Sigma Team had been building from day 1, and I feel like it managed to successfully shine here far more than in any previous iteration.

I won't lie, there are serious problems with the plot, with the English language and voice acting, and some UI issues that keep this from going above and beyond. Also, it's the video game equivalent of cotton candy: good for a bit until dissolving. But sometimes I want mindless cotton candy, just as I want to reduce a horde of zombies to gibs and blood splatter with a minigun, and once you reach the final levels, there is a ton of that. It's satisfying watching the horde explode into gore, and here Sigma has succeeded in something that they hadn't quite attained in any previous releases.

Add in a couple of extra bonus modes for score challenges which focus on surviving as long as you can, and you have an entertaining piece of a game. Considering I bought this for less than $5 on GOG, I am more than happy with my experience. If you feel the need to go massacre the horses of marauding mutant undead, you could certainly do a lot worse than this.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:57 am

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 46
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (2 Games Beaten)
46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5

46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5

Night Trap is both one of the most recognizable as well as one of the most infamous FMV games of the early 1990s. It was actually originally filmed in 1987 and planned for the Control-Vision, an unreleased game system that used VHS tapes rather than cartridges, but the footage was shelved until 1992 when it was revived for Sega CD. It was ported to 3DO a year later and to MS-DOS, Mac OS, and Sega 32x (still requiring Sega CD) a year after that. In 2017, a 25th Anniversary Edition that no one asked for (or really wanted) was released on Windows and PlayStation 4 with an Xbox One port coming at some point in the future.

The basic premise of Night Trap is that teenagers have started going missing around one particular house, and the SCAT (Sega/Special Control Attack Team) is planning an operation to investigate and bring those responsible to justice. To do this, they take control of the house's suspiciously elaborate camera and trap system and plant one of their own (bizarrely young) agents in with a group of teenagers staying in the house overnight. The player controls the six cameras as well as the traps and must activate the traps at the right time to catch the "Augers" (vampires) and keep the teenagers safe. Missing too many Augers will result in a game over (I think you get a game over at like 20 missed or something like that).

The reason for the game's relative notoriety is not that it's actually all that risque by today's standards but rather that it - along with Mortal Kombat - was the catalyst and major focal point of the Congressional hearings on video game violence spearheaded by Senator Joe Lieberman (CT-D) and Senator Herb Kohl (WI-D). The claim was that the game portrayed extreme violence and promoted sexual aggression against women. If you actually play the game, you'll see that the only "violence" is pretty mild, and the claims that it promotes sexual aggression against women is completely ridiculous (unless, of course, we're implying that pajamas are somehow inherently sexual). Folks today tend to remember the claims that the game was horribly offensive more than anything actually questionable or controversial in the game.

Given that the game uses film from the late 1980s, the video quality is obviously not great, but in my opinion, that's part of what makes it great. It's the most gloriously cheesy 80s thing I've ever played. The hair and outfits are both just dripping with the 80s, and the entire style and premise is the type of experimental "this is probably a bad idea but let's do it anyway" gameplay that games these days just don't attempt anymore. Despite all this, though, the game is actually really fun and addicting. In terms of overall quality, I only have two real complaints. There are times when you have to change the color code to control the traps, and you get the code you need by listening to dialogue between the homeowners' family in the right room at the right time. Unfortunately (as this really breaks my immersion), these code change dialogue clips are significantly lower audio quality than the rest of the recordings. The other issue is that there are major audio bugs usually resulting from pausing the game. Pausing the game several times to pee, get another Coke, answer a text, etc. led to my game's audio and video being a full five or six seconds out of sync by the end of the game. On my attempts where I didn't pause, though, I'd either have less than a second or only a second or two of sync issues by the end. It's not usually a big issue for the actual gameplay, but it's extremely irksome and kills your immersion.

The actual gameplay involves switching between six cameras in six different rooms of the house. There are often different clips with characters in multiple rooms at a single time, so if you really want to see and experience all of the glorious 80s cheese, you'll have to do multiple playthroughs. There are also six endings, so there is a bit of replay value here. You have to switch between the various rooms (this mechanic influenced the vastly inferior Five Nights at Freddy's, I think) and keep an eye out of Augers entering the house. When the Augers walk by a trap, you have to activate it at the right moment to catch them and keep the teenagers safe. There's a color coded bar to help you with your timing; it's green when no one's near the trap, yellow when someone is approaching the trap, and red when you need to activate the trap. There are a few instances when you can catch good guys in the traps accidentally, so you need to be careful with your timing (and, honestly, be willing to put up with a bit of trial and error).

Unfortunately, once you have seen all of the endings and such, there isn't a whole lot of reason to come back to the game. The timing and locations where the Augers appear are all set; the only thing at all random about the game is what color allows control of the traps. There is, however, a wave mode that I haven't personally tried out but seems to give some extra content for those who just can't get enough Night Trap. In addition to that and the main mode, there are some unlockables that you can access by beating the game under various conditions including Scene of the Crime, a prototype that was originally used to pitch the game's concept.

By today's standards, Night Trap is a pretty simple game. At the time, though, it was fairly revolutionary. It's not an amazing game, but it's definitely fun, and I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it and plan to revisit it later one (probably while drunk at a party). The various scenes that play throughout the game and trying to keep an eye out of Augers and time their capture right is a lot more fun than it sounds, and I was actually extremely surprised by how much I enjoyed the game. That said, while it's definitely a good game, I can't say that it's a "great" game. It does tend to get rather told relatively quickly, and there's isn't a whole lot of variety with it. While physical copies are a bit pricey - around $50 for PS4, $60 for Sega CD and CD 32X, and $80 for 3DO - you can get it digitally on PS4 or PC for $15, and I'd definitely say it's worth the $15 asking price.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

by Ack Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:04 am

Nice, dude.
marurun

by marurun Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:34 am

I love how the one girl in the bathroom doesn't notice the obvious person in the shower. The REALLY obvious person in the shower. Who is ostensibly reflected in the mirror she's in front of.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Apr 06, 2018 11:02 am

Elkin, this night trap review may be your best written review. You do a spectacular job of looking at the game and breaking it apart honestly and intuitively. It really is some strange, magical mess that is worth playing and beating. Folks need to check it out for the together retro this month!!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to General Gaming