Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by REPO Man Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:08 am

Ren and Stimpy in Stimpy's Invention for Genesis. Used to rent this all the time as a kid. Literally blew threw it in about an hour at most. Also WOW, this game was MUCH better as a kid.
ESauced
64-bit

by ESauced Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:48 pm

REPO Man wrote:Ren and Stimpy in Stimpy's Invention for Genesis. Used to rent this all the time as a kid. Literally blew threw it in about an hour at most. Also WOW, this game was MUCH better as a kid.

Haha. Yeah I loved that game as a kid. As an adult...less so. I think the mechanics are pretty cool—all the unique moves that you have—but the execution is awful.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:25 pm

Games Beaten 2018

Darkwing Duck - NES (PS4)
DuckTales - NES (PS4)
DuckTales 2 - NES (PS4)
Talespin - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES (PS4)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
The Heart of Dark - PS1 (Vita)
Justice - PS1 (Vita)
Caligo - PC
Tomb Raider (2013) - X1
Nephise Begins - PC
Diablo III: The Darkening of Tristam - PC
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - X1
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES
Forza Horizon 3 - X1/ PC
Elbub - PC
Tekken 4 -PS2
Injustice 2 -PS4
Apollo 11 VR - PSVR
Star Wars Battlefront II -PS4
Unearthing Mars - PSVR
Jenny of the Prairie - C64
Part Time UFO - - iOS
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite - PS4
War of the Monsters -PS2 *new*

Total: 26

Previously: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

This is a fantastic little game that is probably amongst the best “be a giant monster” games that I’ve played. It feels like an evolution of something like SNK’s “King of the Monsters” and does a lot of what that game does only better, in 3D, with stylish/servicable graphics. I’d love to see how well it works for vs play at some point...and apparently there’s a dodgeball mode that can be unlocked! :shock:
BST|Writing|Music
"I hope in the upcoming months you'll find parties which conform to your expectations."
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 am

dsheinem wrote:War of the Monsters -PS2 *new*

Dude. I LOVE this game. I spent literally hundreds of hours in middle school and high school playing this game with one of my friends in the mountains while listening to Linkin Park's first two studio albums on repeat. No fighting game as memories as fond for me as this one.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

by marurun Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:04 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:while listening to Linkin Park's first two studio albums on repeat

I am so sorry to hear about this dark time in your life. I hope you have managed to recover and finally embrace daylight again.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:05 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
dsheinem wrote:War of the Monsters -PS2 *new*

Dude. I LOVE this game. I spent literally hundreds of hours in middle school and high school playing this game with one of my friends in the mountains while listening to Linkin Park's first two studio albums on repeat. No fighting game as memories as fond for me as this one.

Awesome! I played through the campaign as Togera. Good choice?
BST|Writing|Music
"I hope in the upcoming months you'll find parties which conform to your expectations."
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:12 pm

dsheinem wrote:Awesome! I played through the campaign as Togera. Good choice?

Yeah man, he's my second favorite. My favorite is Ultra-V, although Magmo is a close #3 to Togera.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:54 am

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC

From the makers of FTL comes a strategy puzzle game that is just as addictive, if not moreso, than FTL. The basic premise of the game is that a horde of alien locusts called the Vek have invaded Earth and overrun it. In desperation, they take a page from Terminator to send back one elite pilot to try and do a better job in the next timeline. This is where things pick up. You need to lead your squad of three mechs to fight back against the Vek and destroy their hive before they breed sufficient numbers to overwhelm humanity.

You start the game with access to one squad, which is an all rounder squad. As you progress you unlock more squads, each specialized in a different form of combat. Just like FTL and its different ships, playing different squads requires you to approach things in a different way, and it helps keep things fresh. You also have the option of picking a random squad (with it either being vaguely balanced or completely random) or creating a custom squad. You'll need to do all of these if you want to hunt the achievements and unlock all the squads (including the secret squad for getting every achievement).

The basic gameplay is that you drop onto a small grid map and you need to survive four turns. The Vek will try to either trash your mechs or attack buildings; when destroyed these buildings reduce your power level. When your power reaches zero then the machine that is keeping the Vek in check fails and you get swarmed; game over. Each map also has one or more sub objectives; these give you resources when completed (either extra power or currency to upgrade your squad at the end of an island). The game is divided into four islands, and you can trigger the end game sequence after doing just two of them. Going further gives you more rewards but also makes the enemies harder, so there's a risk reward to it.

Now, the turn-by-turn combat is where this game really gets interesting. When the enemy takes its turn it moves all of its units around and then sets up its attacks. You then are given the opportunity to respond; once you end turn the enemy attacks will go off. You have several options of what to do; the most basic is to kill enemies by dealing enough damage. But this game is heavily based on movement and positioning. If you shove a Vek their attack will stay aimed at the same relative square, which means you can do things like have them attack an empty square, or another Vek. Non-boss walking Vek can't swim, so you can push them into the drink for a free kill. If one unit is pushed into another then both units take damage; same if you push one unit into a structure or mountain. If a unit is standing on top of a hole that more Vek will burrow out of next turn the reinforcement is blocked and the blocking unit takes damage. And finally, there are frequently environmental effects that you can lure enemies into which take effect at the start of the turn. All of this is where the game starts to approach more of a puzzle scenario, rather than a straight combat strategy. You want to think about how you sequence your moves and how you can set things up so that when the enemies take their turn they do as little damage as possible.

Of course, you will fail now and again. If you game over you are given the option to send one of your pilots back in time to try again. This pilot will keep all of their experience, which gives you a leg up on the next run. It's never anything game breaking, as each pilot still has their signature skill available from the start. But it's nice to jump start with an extra point of energy available for your weapon upgrades or some extra movement. You also have the option of bailing out of a timeline early, say, if you realize that you have no way of avoiding having your best pilot killed next turn (if a mech is downed the pilot is killed and AI will take it over next map; AI doesn't get skills).

A run takes between half an hour to an hour, depending on how many islands you do. And it's rare that a run dies super early; generally you'll have at least one island under your belt before you get overwhelmed and lose power to your grid. So the game makes for quick bits of play here and there, and the various squads ad a lot of variety. It's quite addictive, and I still have to do a run with the secret squad tomorrow.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:45 pm

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)

Otenba Becky no Daibouken (hilariously translated as Tomboyish Becky's Large Adventure) is an obscure MSX exclusive, released back in 1983. The developer, MIA, seems to have developed for the MSX exclusively, and apparently ceased production after 1984. Becky is notable for being one of the earliest Japanese games to feature a female protagonist. While I lack the instruction booklet, I've been able to find a plot synopsis online: twelve-year-old Becky sneaks into a mansion and while running about she manages to irritate the malicious space aliens that inhabit it. I hate it when that happens.
The game is a scaffolded "ladder" platformer, but Becky can't jump. She defeats enemies by trapping them in holes she digs along the pathways. Sound familiar? Comparisons to Lode Runner may immediately jump to mind, but in actuality Becky is clearly aping Universal's Space Panic, an unheralded 1980 arcade title that is often credited with being the first of its genre.

Stages are single-screen, with a seemingly random ladder layout presented each time. Unfortunately, no layout is inherently more or less interesting or challenging than another, and all can be viewed within a few play sessions. Only the arrow keys and space bar are used, with the space bar assigned to digging. Becky differs from Space Panic (and Lode Runner, for that matter) when it comes to said digging. While the heroes of the aforementioned classics can dig holes to either side of whereupon they stand, Becky isn't especially bright and instead digs a hole directly below her feet, dropping her to the floor below. This adds an additional element to the gameplay, the element of annoyance. Once an enemy is trapped in a hole (suspended, really) Becky must make her way back up to where the enemy rests and walk over it. If she can't do this within an allotted time frame, the enemy regains composure. Foes that have been trampled by the Beckz drop down and transform into apples. When she's had her fill of produce, the mischievous middle-schooler moves ahead to the next stage.
After a few boards are completed there's no reason to continue playing. There's no "end" in sight as far as I can tell, and while the level counter likely rolls over after 99 every possible stage and enemy configuration is seen well before that happens. Graphics are strictly utilitarian, and the "soundtrack" is a single annoyingly chirpy tune looping endlessly. Enemy sprites look and move like utter garbage. Classic MSX choppiness. To make matters worse, enemy sprites often overlap each other, and oftentimes when I thought I was taking out a single enemy another one popped out from behind it.

With its hidden villains and janky "drop down" mechanic, Otenba Becky no Daibouken is utterly unimpressive. While not a horrendous title by any stretch, it fails to stand out among the burgeoning early-80s platforming scene. As a fan of ancient Japanese obscurities, I managed to get a couple of chuckles out of the Becky experience, but was ultimately left wishing I was playing the game's more illustrious mentor instead.
Flake

by Flake Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:01 am

[quote="Flake"]January:

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSi ware)

February:

Roundabout (PS4)
Pocket Fighter (PSX)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Batman Arkham VR(PSVR)

March:

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn (PS4)

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn has been sitting on my PS3's harddrive, unplayed, for a very long time now. I was initially discouraged by the superficial differences between it and DW Gundam 3 like the shift away from cel shading, the somewhat smaller models to achieve larger on screen character counts, the UI, etc.

What was I thinking? Elkin and I tackled this game in parallel and that provided me with extra motivation to focus on it and I am glad I did. This game is much more akin to Hyrule Warriors than the older style DW games. The difficulty across most levels is lowered, the size of the environments is smaller, and the model count is increased dramatically. The end result is a power fantasy where you ravage thousands of enemies in a minute, constantly unlocking new items and upgrades, and revel in constant explosions. It's a great stress reliever.

The music is, again, not the licensed sound track from the actual shows but it still very good. There is also an ton of content so even though I have 'beat' it, I am not done with it.

Bayonetta (Switch)

Bayonetta for the Switch is a lot of fun. I had previously purchased it on the WiiU but the load times killed the experience for me. On Switch, the game loads quickly (almost seamlessly within levels) and there is next to no slow down. Whereas the WiiU release was a step above the original Xbox360, so to is the Switch version over the WiiU.

As for the game itself, I enjoyed the fuck out of the setting. I also liked how unapologetically sexual and female the protagonist is. It is a great change of pace to have a female lead that is not asking for any fucking help from anyone and I wish that more game designers could achieve this same balance.

Also - thank god Easy mode is a thing on this game. I was able to make it until the last two chapters on Normal but everything went all teacup on me at the end. I am sure high level players can make this game into an artform but I was struggling to get by at some points. It never felt unfair though - another sign of good game design.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Return to General Gaming