25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25

32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26

The second of the three Army Men games to appear on the Game Boy Advance, Operation Green takes a step back from the protagonist Sergeant Hawk that most of the more recent games used and takes the series back to its roots with a run-of-the-mill looking Green soldier as the protagonist. Whereas Army Men Advance was rather awkward and just felt completely out of place, Operation Green remedies that by returning to the look and feel of the early Army Men games. While some may say that's not exactly a good thing, it was a return to form that I was thrilled to see.

ImageImage

After the downright bizarre visual style of Army Men Advance, it's a breath of fresh air to see Operation Green feature the series standard sub-par visuals. Normally I would say something like that sarcastically, but I mean that in complete seriousness. The Army Men series never impressed with its visuals, but I've grown a bit attached to them, and Operation Green's look fits with the norm. ln a lot of ways, this feels like the first Army Men game on Game Boy Advance just because of how out of place Army Men Advance felt. This is far more of a natural progression of the Game Boy Color games' designs and gameplay than Advance was.

ImageImage

The sound design is, for the most part, the same "meh" quality as the rest of the handheld games in the series, but the music is delightfully and surprisingly not the same three measures looped endlessly. It's not particularly good, but it's at least far less maddening than that in Army Men or Army Men 2. The game's mechanics and overall level design, however, are what really stand out. This is hands down the best of the handheld games that I've played. I enjoyed Army Men 2 a decent bit, but I legitimately had a good time with most of Operation Green rather than just enjoying it in comparison to the rest of the series. It could easily stand on its own as a mediocre shooter for the system.

ImageImage

The story of the game is, unfortunately, pretty bland even for an Army Men game, and it has a lot in common with Army Men: Air Combat for Game Boy Color with regards to the plot. Each mission is, for the most part, its own separate thing, and while various missions may tie in together as being part of different "operations," they all feel pretty isolated and disjointed. The game's other flaw is some of the details of the level design. Overall, the levels and environments feel varied and interesting, but about halfway through the game, the levels start to get really long. The last quarter or so of the game has levels that are legitimate labyrinths. In general, this might not be too bad, but when a game over sends you back to the start of a level that could potentially take you 20 or 30 minutes depending on how quickly you find your way, it gets frustrating. Thankfully the game is fairly generous with health pickups (not that that helps once you start encountering enemies equipped with flamethrowers), but the previous games' general approach of 30 short levels rather than 12 long levels fits the game better in my opinion.

ImageImage

Army Men: Operation Green is without a doubt the best of the handheld Army Men games that I've played thus far. While that might not necessarily say much, it is a legitimately enjoyable game even if not a particularly stand-out one compared to some of the other offerings on the GBA. The levels are a bit too lengthy for my taste, and the story is kind of pants, but the gameplay is fun, and the variety of level environments make for some really great battle settings. For fans of the Army Men series (assuming I'm not the only one in the world), this is a must play. For collectors of the Game Boy Advance, this is a worthwhile game to give a shot. If you're a casual fan of 2D shooters (not shmups), then it's worth a go, but if you don't fall into one of those three categories, as is typically the case for Army Men games, there's not really a lot here to offer.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by dsheinem »

Jesus, man. How many of these are you going to subject yourself to?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

dsheinem wrote:Jesus, man. How many of these are you going to subject yourself to?

Well, Army Men: Turf War for Game Boy Advance is the last of the handheld ones that I haven't played yet, so I'm at least going to play through that one. I want to play through every console games (and, at least for the fifth gen consoles, every version) eventually, but I think I'm going to need to take a break from Army Men after Turf War.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:NGPC

*swoon*

Yeah, it's still my favorite portable. I have more games I need to finally wrap up for it too. But there are some great options to just sit down and play, that I keep finding myself going back to it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
5. Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
6. Zenge (iOS)
7. Master of Darkness (Game Gear/3DS)
8. Wonder Boy (SMS)
9. Adventure Island (NES)
10. Full Throttle Remastered (iOS)

Another year, another classic LucasArts adventure game...I may try to get through all of them at some point...

Full Throttle Remastered is a classic LucasArts adventure game that was recently remastered and re-released by Double Fine. The game looks great, and it plays wonderfully with touch controls, which are perfect for the point-and-click adventure genre. It also starts out incredibly strong. So strong, in fact, that I briefly thought it might have been better than a Day of the Tentacle. Some I’ll-conceived “action” segments in the back half really drag it down, however, and I have a hard time saying it surpasses my favorite very games in the genre. It does rank among them, and the remaster is clearly a labor of love. Accordingly, I have no trouble recommending it to anyone who likes adventure games (and is unashamed of consulting a walkthrough to get through the games horrendous demolition derby sequence).
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Ack wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:NGPC

*swoon*

Yeah, it's still my favorite portable. I have more games I need to finally wrap up for it too. But there are some great options to just sit down and play, that I keep finding myself going back to it.

Ahhhh! Even just seeing people talk about the NGPC makes me wanna replay through Card Fighters Clash 2 again <3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC

Well, this was a disappointment. Dark Queen of Krynn wraps up the Gold Box games (aside from the game maker toolkit that came a year later) and while it provides the highest production values, it ends up being an utter slog and completely not fun. Much of it comes from the fact that high level AD&D sucks in video game form. But another aspect is that the narrative and quest design are both at their lowest points of the series, in my opinion.

DQoK starts off by telling you that evil is afoot somewhere else and you need to go stop it. It takes about three dungeons for an actual plot to emerge, and in the meantime you've gone through three large dungeons. They've finally upped the size of maps, so you have some pretty interesting level design, but the actual dungeons are a slog. The first one is a return of Auruk draconians, but in large packs. So that's always fun (NOT). The second map is underwater, which would be a neat concept at a much lower level and with smaller mobs and smaller packs. As it stands, you get one or two useful fighters and you better have switched out your mage spells to lightning to get any work done. This is also the point where the quest design starts to annoy. You see, the map is huge, and you can explore a ton of it, and eventually reach what seems to be a goal. But if you didn't explore a particular part of a much earlier part of the map, you can't get through this goal. This will be a common theme; you need to obsessively search every square of every map in order to progress in this game. The third dungeon has some decent dungeon puzzles, and at the end you finally get a vague hint of a quest; namely, that you need to go to an oracle to get the actual quest. And the oracle dungeon is even worse than the underwater dungeon in terms of requiring you to be obsessive. There's a few points where you need to look at a square to get one of the oracle messages, and there really isn't an indication you'd need to. It doesn't help that the previous games taught you that you don't need to use search like you did in Pool of Radiance, as important stuff gets revealed with or without it and it causes more time to pass (which means higher encounter rates). Once you get the oracle messages you finally get your quest hooks.

But here's the thing; the narrative still remains fairly vague outside of the fact that the evil goddess (the titular Dark Queen) wants to manifest in the world. You go to an occupied town and it's never clear if the town was always full of bad guys, and they're just following different bad guys now, or if it used to be good. There are a bunch of easy to miss triggers in this map as well, as sections are blocked off until you trigger something and there isn't an obvious reason why the sections open up. That then sends you to another area, which is a total pain to navigate. And the game springs a helper on you who you can tell to point you at a destination. But if you want to change you need to Look again, and the game never tells you that. And his directions are about as good as a first generation GPS, complete with you sometimes ignoring it enough to get it to recalculate properly. There was one neat area where you don't engage in combat at all; it's basically another puzzle dungeon, but the mechanics made it take much longer than it should have; again, it wasn't helped by the fact that you again need to go to an area you've already explored because you finally tripped the right trigger.

It all culminates in a pair of dungeons that are long and have tons of nasty fights in them. The draconians have all been upgraded, mostly with more magic resistance (I hope you have high level magic users) and their death explosions are much more deadly. Given that ranged attacks are utter bollocks, this makes for really tedious fights. And it's another sign that high level AD&D is best suited for a good DM. Enemy magic users always start fights buffed to the gills, so that maybe one spell in your book can hit them, and it's never an AOE spell. And half of them have fire shield, which deals double the damage back to a melee attacker that the attacker does, before the attacker's damage triggers. It's all a giant fuck you to the player.

All of these events feel really divorced from the first two games as well. The end sequence does seem to tie in with the established characters of the novel series, so I guess there's a final payoff for fans of the series. But for a newcomer like me, it was just a weak ending. Especially since the final sequence is: fight a really cool looking boss (seriously, props to them for creating it), randomly run around a large map until you hit the necessary triggers, when you do fight four fights back to back with no recovery in between, then go to a victory sequence that gets crashed by a ton of dragons (hope you saved). I'm so glad it's all over, because this game is clearly designed as a kick in the balls.

On the plus side, the game really pushes the engine to its limits. The graphics are quite detailed, though the forest walls have some major visibility problems of not really indicating that there is a wall or an opening in a given panel (not helped by the fact that some walls you can step through in that terrain). The sound effects are probably the best of all the series, and they made some more interface tweaks that makes the whole thing feel more modern. It's just a shame that this was used on a high level campaign rather than something fresh.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

13. Tomb Raider (reboot) | Xbox 360 | 2013 | 7/10

Tomb Raider 2013 attempts to outdo Uncharted at its own game, and does so occasionally. Spectacularly amazing graphics make this AAA showboat float, with visceral combat and ofttimes inspired platforming. The experience is weighed down by a lame plot with pathetic attempts at pathos, terrible QTE segments, and lackluster difficulty in general, especially the brain dead environment puzzles being disingenuous to the series' legacy. It's easy to look past that stuff when you're exploring absolutely gorgeous environments, or just viciously blowing dudes' faces off. (Seriously, this game has a near-comical fascination with death, it probably holds the world's record for the most skeletons in one video game.) Purely as a blockbuster thrill ride, Tomb Raider 2013 does a good job of letting Lara take revenge on Nathan's long time cribbing.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
isiolia
Next-Gen

Post by isiolia »

1. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers (PC)
2. Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice (PC)
3. Thor: God of Thunder (DS)

4. Deep Space Waifu (PC)
5. Killer Instinct (XB1)
6. Titanfall 2 (PC)

I haven't really been playing all that much, for one reason or another. Anyway...

Deep Space Waifu was every bit as lackluster as a game as expected...and the actual draw of (easily uncensored) nekkid anime chicks is less compelling than you'd think due to the general mediocrity of the art. As Elkin mentioned when we played it earlier, I mean, it's still a little entertaining, and quite cheap...but hard to really recommend.

Killer Instinct I finally picked up due to the Definitive Edition bundling in most of the available characters. I'm not a big fan of breaking up fighters into DLC, even if it kinda-sorta makes sense versus full releases for roster additions.
First, the Definitive Edition actually includes solid ports of both arcade games, which seem to be pretty much perfect. Not that I actually put that much time into the arcade version back in the day, but, I do fondly remember the machine being in the food court. So, mostly, I associate it with ice cream and pathetic attempts to not lose the first match. It's the first time that the full experience has come home.

The new game also does a great job of picking up where the old games left off. Content is a little fragmented as it's split between seasons...and the "current" Shadow Lords content would be a nifty kinda revival of the Soul Calibur campaign mode if it were not mired in microtransaction garbage. Still, the core fighting game is very much Killer Instict with a modern retooling to live up to how I remember it, if not how it actually was. :lol:

Titanfall 2 was one I hadn't gotten around to back when it came out, despite all the praise. I figured I'd get to it when it went down in price...and at $5 it was finally time. It certainly is a solid campaign, even if it is only around 6 hours or so. It's got some neat level designs and mechanics - some of the same ones that Dishonored 2 used, though the two games aren't really directly comparable. Each chapter ends up being fairly unique, and the game ends before it really gets repetitive. An easy recommendation for wall-running FPS and mech fans alike.