Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by MrPopo Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:57 pm

The "Saw" weapon is an instant death weapon. The intent is for it to cause instant death on a target whose strength is lower than the user's. Due to a bug, they flipped the comparison sign, so it only works on targets whose strength is GREATER than the user's. Guess what sorts of stats the final boss has.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:14 pm

MrPopo wrote:The "Saw" weapon is an instant death weapon. The intent is for it to cause instant death on a target whose strength is lower than the user's. Due to a bug, they flipped the comparison sign, so it only works on targets whose strength is GREATER than the user's. Guess what sorts of stats the final boss has.

Haha, that's hilarious. Wish I'd known that back in the day. :)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:20 pm

Yeah, Popo told me about that....five minutes AFTER I finally beat the boss.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:10 pm

But that's part of his charm.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:52 pm

Pretty sure I read about the saw way back when in Nintendo Power's "Classified Information." A good trick indeed.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:27 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)

5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)

I beat Donkey Kong Country on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System this evening!

It took me a little while to actually want to buy Donkey Kong Country. At first, I was put off by the 3D sprites as it looked a bit off putting for me. I was never blown away initially by the graphics and it took a long time of praise for me to get interested in it. Even then, I wanted to play the Donkey Kong 'series', so I got Donkey Kong Classics on the NES first. Finally, after so many years of waiting and putting off, I finally decided to buy Donkey Kong Country and give this heralded classic a shot of my own.

One thing that is a classic and without a doubt the best feature of the game is the music. Donkey Kong Country's music is some of the best on the console and just an absolute delight to listen to. I have heard some of the tracks before, but the entire soundtrack is absolutely fabulous and worth playing just to hear it for yourself. To the game itself, I would say it plays fairly well. Donkey or Diddy never felt out of my control and the jumping is very tight. You always feel like you are in complete control of the character and that is normal very tight. Also, I must say that I love Kranky Kong as he is probably my favorite character. I love his quips and I relate to him more and more as the years go by.

I have learned over the years that Rare programmers are just mean. Capcom is known for being hard, but at least they are fair. I don't think Rare is fair at all. The first half of the game is fairly doable and not too bad. The second half is quite brutal with stages going on forever, infrequent save points and have to redo bosses over and over again after continuing. Enemies are placed in areas just to be mean and they take every opportunity to screw you over. And for me, the graphics hurt more than they helped. It was hard sometimes on where to go, the end of platforms and the hitboxes of me and my enemies.

Overall, Donkey Kong Country is tight controlling game with some of the best music on the system. The water level music alone makes this game worth owning. It plays well and it has such a nice flow to it that you don't find in most platform games of that era. Be prepared for some brutal platforming and frustrating level design in the end. But, much like most of Rare games, it is painful, frustrating and annoying with some good controls and some awesome music!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:40 pm

1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
5. Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
6. Zenge (iOS)

Bye-Bye BoxBoy! is another excellent game in an excellent series. As with BoxBoy! and BoxBoxBoy!, HAL has crafted a delightful puzzle-platformer with tremendous character. This time Qbby can use a variety of “gimmick” boxes, such as bomb boxes and rocket boxes to work his way through each of the games many worlds. (These are a good addition to the series, but they do not add quite as much depth to the puzzles as the ability to create two sets of boxes added to BoxBoxBoy!.). As a veteran of the series who insisted upon completing every challenge the two previous games could throw at me, the difficulty did not really pick up until I completed the main campaign. The bonus worlds, however, were a delightful challenge, and I definitely earned my special Qbby princess costume when I put the game down.

Monument Valley 2, like its predecessor, is a fantastic work of art. The game is absolutely gorgeous, to the point of mesmerizing, and it is an aesthetic triumph. (Screenshots from the game are now the wallpapers on my phone and tablet.). That said...the M.C. Escher inspired puzzles are not the least bit challenging, and the gameplay leaves something to be desired. (The expansion to the first game at least offered some challenge.). It is just so pretty, however, that I forgive its gameplay for being so shallow.

Zenge is a sliding picture puzzle game with some cool mechanics. It is fun while it last, but it only last 1 1/2 hours. It is free, and I really can’t say anything bad about it at that price!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 pm

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC

Now that your party is full of seasoned adventurers, you decide to seek your fortune in the wider world. Your initial thought is to take up the quest of the missing princess. However, midway through your journey you are waylaid by assaliants who knock you out, steal your stuff, and imbue you with five glowing blue marks on your arm. Shortly thereafter you discover these marks can be used to compell you to act against your will; you discover this when you are made to attempt to assassinate the king of the city you are in. So begins your quest; to undo these sigils so that you can get your life back.

CotAB does everything right in terms of a sequel. It takes everything that was good about the previous game and adds to it. The gear reset isn't so bad as long as you are packing a mage or two, and you quickly will replenish your stash. The more important thing is that you get access to dual classing your humans; this is going to be critical for taking your party through the rest of the game, as dual classing is awesome. You can have a high HP mage who attacks three times every two turns with a big sword before firing off deadly spells. The only downside is that unless you equip some armor that blocks casting your dual classed mage will simply guard during quick fight mode. Also, there's the whole level reset and lost access to fighter skills until you've surpassed your old level, but that ends up not being too bad since you'll get a truckload of exp early to boost you up.

Rather than mostly confining you to one city with a few jaunts to neighboring areas, this game is much more distributed. There are now many towns, though most of them aren't explorable in first person; merely being a waystation on the road and source of information, though the important ones are explorable (as they tend to have some sort of dungeon related to your quest). Initially you aren't sure where to look in terms of getting yourself free of the bonds that afflict you, but some standard RPG detective work will put you on the right path.

The graphics have taken a noticeable improvement, and the portraits aren't so amateurish. The dialog isn't anything to write home about, but it certainly gets the job done and isn't too far off from what you'd expect from a reasonably talented DM. The bestiary is much increased, and the combat requires a lot more attention from you. Getting off spells early to stagger enemy spellcasters is crucial, and positioning is more important thanks to the improved system of attacks of opportunity. Form that defensive wall!

There's not a whole lot else to say; if you liked Pool you'll like Curse, and probably better.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:50 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
6. Zenge (iOS)

Bye-Bye BoxBoy! is another excellent game in an excellent series. As with BoxBoy! and BoxBoxBoy!, HAL has crafted a delightful puzzle-platformer with tremendous character. This time Qbby can use a variety of “gimmick” boxes, such as bomb boxes and rocket boxes to work his way through each of the games many worlds. (These are a good addition to the series, but they do not add quite as much depth to the puzzles as the ability to create two sets of boxes added to BoxBoxBoy!.). As a veteran of the series who insisted upon completing every challenge the two previous games could throw at me, the difficulty did not really pick up until I completed the main campaign. The bonus worlds, however, were a delightful challenge, and I definitely earned my special Qbby princess costume when I put the game down.

Monument Valley 2, like its predecessor, is a fantastic work of art. The game is absolutely gorgeous, to the point of mesmerizing, and it is an aesthetic triumph. (Screenshots from the game are now the wallpapers on my phone and tablet.). That said...the M.C. Escher inspired puzzles are not the least bit challenging, and the gameplay leaves something to be desired. (The expansion to the first game at least offered some challenge.). It is just so pretty, however, that I forgive its gameplay for being so shallow.

Zenge is a sliding picture puzzle game with some cool mechanics. It is fun while it last, but it only last 1 1/2 hours. It is free, and I really can’t say anything bad about it at that price!

Hvae you played Gorogoa yet? It seems like something that'd be right up your alley based on the stuff you do play. I really enjoyed it when I played it on Switch at the end of last year.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:45 am

alienjesus wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
6. Zenge (iOS)

Hvae you played Gorogoa yet? It seems like something that'd be right up your alley based on the stuff you do play. I really enjoyed it when I played it on Switch at the end of last year.

I have! It is one of the last games I beat in 2017, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.
Return to General Gaming