Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by Gunstar Green Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:54 pm

Just beat the final boss in Dead Cells in time to end 2018. It's quite the ride. Anyone who's a fan of Castlevania, Rogue Legacy or rogue-lites in general should take a look.

If you're not into challenging games or rogue-lites however I'm not sure this one will change any minds. It has the strengths and weaknesses of other rogue-lite titles though you don't ever tend to feel powerless nor does the game ever throw more than you can handle at you. Dying always felt like it was my own stupid fault. The way the game encourages experimentation and also makes several builds viable and entertaining is also commendable. It's a gorgeous game too, and one of those action games that gets the game-feel so spectacularly right that it's an absolute joy to play regardless of whether or not you're winning or losing.

The Metroidvania aspect of this game is marketed pretty hard, but I'd warn people who are looking for one to maybe give it a pass since the level-based structure only really makes it a Metroidvania in theory. It's sort of a Metroidvania without the ability to backtrack.

Anyway I'll definitely be revisiting this one for a while to unlock things, just because it's so fun to control.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:26 am

Congrats! Great game that I still haven't beaten.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:26 am

2018 summary time:

Number of games beaten: 60
Number of newly beaten: 57
Number of replays: 3
Number of Physical games beaten: 53
Number of digital games beaten: 7
Number of modern games beaten: 17*
Number of retro games beaten: 43*
Number of console games beaten: 38**
Number of portable games beaten: 22**
*Modern games defined as a console from the current generation, including Wii U
**Switch games determined by whether I primarily played them docked or not

Number of games beaten by console:
NES: 4
SNES: 3
Nintendo 64: 2
Gamecube: 1
Wii: 0
WiiWare: 3
Wii U: 3
Wii U eShop:1
Wii U Virtual Console: 1
Switch: 4
Game Boy: 5
GBC: 1
GBA: 4
DS: 2
3DS: 5
Virtual Boy: 1
Master System: 1
Mega Drive: 3
Saturn: 2
Dreamcast: 1
Game Gear: 1
PS1: 2
PS2: 0
PS3: 1
PSN (PS3): 1
PS4: 5
PSP: 0
PSVita: 0
Xbox: 1
Xbox 360: 1
Wonderswan Color: 1
3DO: 0
Neo Geo Pocket Color: 0
PC Engine: 0
PC: 0

Genre breakdown:
Action Adventure: 8
Adventure: 1
Beat-em-up: 4
Fighting: 2
Flight combat: 1
Other: 2
Party: 1
Platformer: 17
Puzzle: 5
Racing: 2
Rhythm: 4
RPG: 3
Run & Gun: 2
Shmup: 5
Strategy: 2
Survival Horror: 1

Top 10 of the year to follow!
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Jan 01, 2019 8:57 am

Top 10 games beaten this year:

This year was a bit of a weak year in terms of games I beat - a lot of 3/5 games on my backloggery. Luckily though, I did beat enough good games to make a respectable top 10 list, so here we go:

Honourable mentions:

Koudelka - I enjoy my time with this game, but it's definitely flawed. It narrowly missed the top 10.

Overcooked 2 - I enjoyed playing through this one with my fiancee, but it is just more of the same from the first. Another one just outside the top 10.

Super Mario Party - This is the best Mario Party game in some time, and I had a great time with it. I didn't beat it yet though, so it misses out on this list.

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - This would have been my number 1 pick for the year, only I technically didn't finish this yet either. Maybe it'll be in 2019's list?

Number 10
Jet Set Radio Future
There's things I like about this game compared to the original, and things that I dont. However, the arcadey gameplay and style of the game are great either way.

Number 9
Silhouette Mirage
I love me some Treasure, and whilst this game doesn't seem to be amongst their best regarded titles, I really enjoyed my time with it. It's quirky and has that typical variety 'everything but the kitchen sink' approach of Treasure's that I appreciate

Number 8
Fire Emblem: Fuuin No Tsurugi
I love me some Fire Emblem, and in particular I'm very fond of the GBA entries in the series. This one is a bit rougher around the edges than it's sequel, but I really enjoyed playing through it anyway.

Number 7
Ranger X
Ranger X feels like a lost Treasure game, and I love me some Treasure. There's a lot to take in as you get to grips with the game, but once it clicks it's a ton of fun.

Number 6
Metroid Samus Returns
Metroid Samus Returns was a game I put off buying for quite a while - I didn't like the 2.5D art style, and I wasn't sure it would live up to quality of previous 2d metroid titles. Luckily it proved me very wrong though, and I blasted through the game in short order. It's not the best in the franchise by any means, but it's a solid return to form.

Number 5
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
If you've been following my posts before, you'll know I'm both a big fan of the Master System, and of the Wonder Boy games. Dragon's Trap was the best entry in the series, and the best game on SMS, but this new remake is the best way to play it for sure - it looks better, sounds better and plays slightly better too. A must play in my eyes.

Number 4
The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past [Randomiser]
Generally, I don't include games I've beaten before in my top 10 for the year (Ghost Trick isn't on this list, for example). However, I'm making an exception here, because playing through this game with this mod completely changes the experience in a way that I actually think improves the game overall. If you have never played the game this way, give it a go, it's fantastic.

Number 3
Mario & Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
This game shouldn't be as good as it is, but somehow it manages to be better than anyone would have anticipated it. Not only does it manage to make the Rabbids somewhat likeable, it also manages to present a high quality, simple to understand but addictive to master strategy experience that is a must-own on Switch.

Number 2
Dragon Quest Builders
I played through Dragon Warrior a few years back and found the grind to be tedious and came away not feeling too positive about my time with it. Yet, within 10 minutes of starting DQ Builders, I was feeling nostalgic towards it. The building and exploration in this game is super addictive too, and I can't wait for the sequel to arrive next year. Any title that takes two games I didn't like much (Minecraft and Dragon Warrior) and combines them into one of my favourite games of the year is doing something right.

Number 1
Nier Automata
Nier Automata is a game that has more ambition than budget, and yet it's one that is addictive, charming and interesting to experience. The 3 seperate stories are full of twists, and the music is amazing. I had a great time with Nier Automata, and it's undoubtedly my choice for game of the year out of the 60 I played.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:24 am

All the games I've beaten in 2018:

* Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue for PC (Metroidvania).

* Sonic Mania for PS4 as Tails (Platformer).

* Bad Dream 1-5 for PC (Point-and-Click Adventure).

* Diet Go Go for Arcade via Raspberry Pi running Retropie (Arcade Platformer). It's like Bubble Bobble.

* Uncharted: Drake's Fortune on Easy for PS4 (Adventure).

* Shantae: Risky's Revenge on Normal for PS4 (Metroidvania).

* Shantae and the Pirate's Curse with 100% for PS4 (Metroidvania).

* Shantae: Half-Genie Hero with 100% (main game mode) on PS4 (Metroidvania).

* Ren and Stimpy in Stimpy's Invention for Genesis via Raspberry Pi running Retropie (Platformer). But seriously fuck John Krisfaluci. Sick putrid bastard.

* Borderlands 2 as Axton on Normal for PS4 (FPS/RPG).

* Tyrian for PC via OpenTyrian for Raspberry Pi running Retropie (Shmup).

* Mafia 3 for PS4 (Open-World Adventure).

* inFAMOUS: Second Son with Good Karma and 0% DUP Control for PS4 (Open-World Adventure).

* Sonic Time Twisted as Sonic for PC (Platformer/Fangame).

That's only 14 games. :(

EDIT: WAIT! One of those entries is 5 games, so... it's 18 games. :) I can do better. I just know I can.
Last edited by REPO Man on Tue Jan 01, 2019 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Alright, I wasn't able to finish Octopath before the year was out, so here's my stats for the year:

Games Beaten

Platform breakdown
32X - 1
3DS - 1
N64 - 1
PC - 43
PS4 - 9
Switch - 5

Genre breakdown
Action Adventure - 5
Adventure - 2
Fighting - 2
FPS - 3
Platformer - 8
Puzzle - 1
RPG - 20
RTS - 3
Shmup - 1
Simulation - 1
Sports - 2
Strategy - 6
Survival Horror - 2
TPS - 4

This year, like last year, was impacted by my move. I was living out of a suitcase with just my Surface 3 up until mid April, so my options were whatever I could play on that or my 3DS (and I only had a couple 3DS games on me). After I moved in to my new place it was another few months until I had all my consoles hooked up, so I was just on PC and PS4. So this year was particularly lopsided towards the PC (moreso than previous years), as well as particularly lopsided to RPGs, as those months on the surface was me grinding through old CRPGs. I also picked up WoW again, so there went a good chunk of my time. I probably could have knocked out another 5 or so games if I hadn't, but it's been nice reconnecting with some of my old friends from the Vanilla days.

Well, times to work on finishing Octopath for my first game of the year.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:06 pm

That was a great write up AJ! I enjoyed reading through the games that interested me!

I will also steal your idea and post the Top 10 Games That I Beat In 2018:

10. Kid Icarus (NES)
9. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
8. Final Fantasy II (NES)
7. Shattered Union (XBOX)
6. Dragon Valor (PS1)
5. Koudelka (PS1)
4. Bad News Baseball (NES)
3. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (PS2)
2. Shining Force II (GEN)
1. Dragon Warrior IV (NES)
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:35 pm

Guess I'll do a breakdown too :) I keep track of a lot of this stuff anyway so not too difficult ha.
All the games I ended up beating:
1/2: Heart’s Medicine - Time to Heal (Steam)
1/5: Dariusburst: Chronicle Saviours (PS4)
1/5: Skullgirls 2nd Encore (PS4)
1/15: Caladrius Blaze (PS4)
1/16: Cat Quest (PS4)
1/21: Doki Doki Literature Club (Steam)
1/30: One Way Heroics (Steam)
2/19: 12 Labours of Hercules (Steam)
3/29: Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga (3DS)
4/12: Frost (Steam)
4/13: Ys Origin (Vita)
4/17: D4: Dark Dreams Don’t Die (Steam)
4/30: Hatsune Miku Project Diva 2nd (PSP)
5/12: Monument Valley (Android)
5/27: Atelier Escha & Lodgy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (PS3)
5/29: Steins;Gate 0 (Vita)
6/6: Pokémon Rumble (WiiWare)
6/7: Pu-Li-Ru-La (Arcade)
6/9: Nurse Love Addiction (Vita)
6/14: Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita)
6/15: Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles (Switch)
6/29: Persona 4: Dancing All Night (Vita)
7/14: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls (Vita)
8/2: Dog’s Life (PS2)
8/8: 102 Dalmatians: Puppies to the Rescue (PS1)
8/16: Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
8/21: Delicious - Emily’s New Beginning (Steam)
8/29: Cu-On-Pa (SNES)
9/25: We Love Katamari (PS2)
10/27: Blue Reflection (PS4)
11/6: Death Mark (Vita)
11/19: Muv-Luv Extra (Vita)·
11/25: Muv-Luv Unlimited (Vita)
12/14: Muv-Luv Alternative (Vita)
12/15: Endless Ocean (Wii)
12/28: Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea (PS3)

Total Games Beaten

Platform Breakdown
3DS: 1
Android: 1
Arcade: 1*
PS1: 1
PS2: 2
PS3: 1
PS4: 6
PSP: 1
SNES: 1
PC: 7
Switch: 1
Vita: 11
Wii: 2

*Emulated, not a real arcade unfortunately ha.

Genre Breakdown
Action: 3
Action Adventure: 4
Adventure: 2
Fighting: 1
Music: 2
Puzzle: 2
RPG: 8
SHMUP: 2
Strategy: 4
Visual Novel: 8

Not really too much to say about that but I didn't put a lot of time into retro games last year. College was really rough so I decided to focus mostly on games that were easier to play without worrying about whether the game was new or old (which also explains the heavy amount of visual novels). It might end up being a similar case this year, but thankfully it should be my final year of college before I get that shiny degree :) Looking forward to that.

And I don't really feel like doing a thoughts on these right now, but here are my top 10 games I played in 2018:
10. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair (Vita)
9. Endless Ocean (Wii)
8. Muv-Luv Alternative (Vita) (although probably any of the three Muv-Luv games could go here...)
7. Blue Reflection (PS4)
6. Death Mark (Vita)
5. Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles (Switch)
4. Ys Origin (Vita)

3. Cat Quest (PS4)
2. Steins;Gate 0 (Vita)
1. Atelier Escha & Lodgy or Atelier Shallie (I don't think I can put one over the other...)

Probably not the most exciting top 10, but I don't feel like I've played too many games last year that super blew me away. These 10 are probably most of them ha. Hopefully next year will be a little better with that (and just better in general).
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Tue Jan 01, 2019 5:51 pm

Here are the 50 games I beat in 2018 (asterisks indicate replays, and top ten--in no particular order past Madoola no Tsubasa, and Contra: Hard Corps--in bold):
  1. Jumping Flash! (E) (PS1)
  2. Jumping Flash! 2: Aloha Danshaku no Ooyawari no Maki (PS1)
  3. Tiny Toon Adventures (J) (SNES)
  4. Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (PC)
  5. Alundra (PS1)
  6. Madoola no Tsubasa (NES)
  7. Dragon Slayer IV: Dra-slay Family (NES)
  8. Cool Cool Toon (DC)
  9. Rockman X4 (SAT)*
  10. Contra: Hard Corps (GEN)
  11. Arcus (SCD)
  12. Arcus II (SCD)
  13. Killer 7 (GCN)
  14. Garou: Mark of the Wolves (DC)
  15. Choukou Senki Kikaiou (DC)
  16. Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken (DC)
  17. Jojo no Kimyou na Bouken: Mirai he no Isan (DC)
  18. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (J) (NES)
  19. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Manhattan Project (J) (NES)
  20. Final Fantasy II (J) (NES)
  21. Final Fantasy VI (J) (SNES)
  22. Dragon Quest VI (SNES)
  23. Sonic the Hedgehog 3 (GEN)*
  24. Streets of Rage (GEN)
  25. Sonic & Knuckles (GEN)*
  26. Kaze no Klonoa 2: Sekai ga Nozonda Wasuremono (PS2)
  27. Kaze no Densetsu Xanadu (PCECD)
  28. Ninja Spirit (PCE)
  29. Silhouette Mirage (J) (SAT)
  30. Legendary Axe (PCE)
  31. Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (PS3)
  32. Legendary Axe II (PCE)
  33. Sol Bianca (PCECD)
  34. Arcus III (SCD)
  35. Ikaruga (DC)
  36. Yu Yu Hakusho: Makyou Touitsusen (GEN)
  37. Dynamite Headdy (J) (GEN)
  38. Deep Fear (J) (SAT)
  39. Enemy Zero (J) (SAT)
  40. D no Shokutaku 2 (DC)
  41. Vampire Chronicle (DC)
  42. Pop’n Music 2 (DC)
  43. Blue Stinger (J) (DC)
  44. Hikari no 4 Senshi: Final Fantasy Gaiden (NDS)
  45. Emerald Dragon (PCECD)
  46. Chrono Cross (J) (PS1)*
  47. Gunhed (PCE)
  48. Cho Jikuu Yousai Macross: Ai Oboeteimasuka (SAT)
  49. Popoitto Hebereke (SAT)
  50. Magical Drop 2 (SAT)

Graphical breakdown:
untitled.jpg
untitled.jpg (61.69 KiB) Viewed 4619 times

Kind of a disappointing year, both in numbers, and in how much I actually enjoyed any of the games I played over the course of this past year. The top ten was kind of a struggle to figure out, after Madoola no Tsubasa and Contra: Hard Corps. There weren't necessarily a lot of bad games that I played, just not that many that really stood out from the pack, in retrospect. I enjoyed much of what I played well enough, but there were some pretty big disappointments along the way too. (*cough*KILLER7*cough*)

Perhaps the biggest tragedy of last year was in replaying Chrono Cross. I still really enjoy the game; The production values (art, graphics, sound, music), combat system, and overall game feel are still as terrific as ever. One of the main reasons I ever really pushed Chrono Cross as a recommended play, in the past, was based on my memories of the story, and ultimately, those memories were a bit off the mark. The world building done in Chrono Cross is tremendous, and the first half of disc 1 sets a great stage for an immense story to unfurl, but the second half of disc 1 is a bit more tedious, honestly. Immersion into the world takes a bit of a back seat, and story beats are a bit more sporadic.

Disc 2 picks things back up greatly, and is around the point in the game that I remember the story going from about a 9 to an 11. My mind was not completely blown the way it was when I was in high school, playing this game. It's still interesting, but I guess once Maxwell's equations, and wave equations become a regular part of one's life, the mind ceases to be blown by a somewhat clumsy description of general relativity. I wish I could remember exactly what part of Chronopolis activated all those dopamine receptors for me, back then, but I have a feeling it might have had something to do with the Records of Fate. Who knows. Anyway, that's not really where my problems with Chrono Cross arise. The big thing is that the end of Disc 2 kind of takes a big dump on itself by allowing characters too much exposition on the big picture ideals in the narrative (an all too common problem in Japanese pop-fiction). The orphanage is still pretty great, although it feels a little underdeveloped, and I don't know if I ever really realized that it's technically optional. Also The Grandolion (Masamune) side quest feels like the whole Viper Mansion cast just completely messed up the worlds they each come from, and make assumptions that events in one world were duplicated in the other (a pretty dubious assumption). The worst part is the "true" ending, though, where Kid just pulls an Emerald Dragon, and starts word vomiting all of the different philosophical threads to the plot into a fairly incoherent, and insultingly trivial reduction of the 50 hours I spent with the game, into some heavy handed drivel.

So imagine an Olympic luge run for a second: Like, all right, the first few turns were great, and then some time was lost on the next few turns, but the big turn is at the end, so just getting out of that one well would put the run into podium contention, but instead the pilot goes flying over the edge, and out of the track, in the middle of the last turn. That's Chrono Cross' story.

I want to reiterate that I don't think it's a bad game for that. It's still a great game, for all of the other things that it does really well, but I hate to recommend JRPGs where one would need to put his brain on auto-pilot during the narrative portions, and unfortunately, for a section of it, that's something of a requirement for Chrono Cross. It's not that the story might seem convoluted, though. There's legitimate care given to most of the details of events, and characters. My issue is simply that all the narrative motifs (of which there are many) aren't harmoniously resolved, and end up in a fruit punch of asinine JRPG ranting.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:12 pm

Going to be lazy and copy my post from Talking Time. :P

Time for some fun with stats!

I beat 140 games this year. Yeah, that sounds nuts, I know. But of those games, 26% were NES, 18% were arcade, and 16% were SNES. There were also a lot of other systems involved as well: I beat stuff on 2600, Saturn, 3DS, C64, Dreamcast, DS, Turbo Duo/TG-16, Game Boy, GBC, GBA, Genesis, Game Gear, MSX, Neo Geo, Neo Geo Pocket Color, Switch, PC, PS1, PS2, PS4, and Sega CD.

In a complete change from my 2016, 96 of the games I beat were actually unique beats for me this year. There was a lot of exploration of various games I'd never play thanks to both Together Retro, and Hardcore Retro Gaming's Club Retro.

Of the games I played, only 10% were "new" games. In other words, something that released within the last ten years. Everything else was older. I spent a total of 489 hours on these games, give or take, with an almost even split between time spent on old vs. new. Again, that owes to almost all the retro stuff being much, much shorter. Heck, I padded those numbers significantly while I was running the beat-'em-up month here.

Anyway, a fun year, even though I didn't discover any amazing retro gems this year. My top retro titles were Faselei!, Top Gear, Top Gear 2, King's Field: The Ancient City, and Orcs & Elves. None of them were my favorite this year. I did replay quite a few classics, though, that are between 9 and 10. I do have to give a special shoutout to King's Field IV, though; it took a while to figure out, but legitimately grew on me by the end. I'm interested in checking out the rest.

All the best "new to me" titles this year were modern. The 9+ rated titles for me this year were Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon, Iconoclasts, The Messenger, Octopath Traveler, and Hollow Knight. Huh, look at that. They're all retro-styled. Imagine that!
Return to General Gaming