3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram
4. Final Fantasy Type-0
5. The King Of Fighters: Neowave
6. Guardian Heroes
7. Puyo Puyo Tetris
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9. Gunstar Heroes
10. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Beat MW just in time to start horror gaming! More on this game later, but I had a great time with it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:33 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21-40

41. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Expansion Pass DLC (Switch)
42. Battle Block Theater (Xbox 360) *
43. Magicka (Steam) *
44. La-Mulana 2 (Steam)
45. Yooka-Laylee (Steam)
46. Snipper-Clips: Cut it Out Together! (Switch)
47. Magicka: Dungeons and Gargoyles (Steam)
48. Hearthstone: The Boomsday Project (PC)
49. Timespinner (PS4)

50. Hollow Knight (PC)

I'd heard Hollow Knight was a great game for a good while now. I bought it in a Steam sale some time ago and was just sorta sitting on it because it hadn't been in the mood to play it. I was really in the mood for some more Metroidvania after Timespinner, so I thought why not play this. 28-ish hours later, I do not regret my decision one bit. Hollow Knight deserves its fantastic reputation, because I haven't played a Metroidvania this good in a VERY long time, if I've ever played one this good. The fact that this came out of Kickstarter from an indie team is just crazy to me with just how much there is here and just how well its done.

Design-wise, Hollow Knight lacks a level-up system, which makes it more like a Metroid, but the combat is all melee except for a couple spells (that have very limited mana) making it more like a Castlevania. The map is also HUGE and very non-linear right about after the 2nd area. It gave me a very Symphony of the Night vibe with just how huge and how maze-like the map can be, and definitely gives that game a run for its money in terms of the sheer size and scale of the map (ignoring the upside-down castle, anyhow). There's tons of enemy variety as well, with some having their appearances limited to only one or two rooms despite having their own unique attack animations and everything, which is no easy feat when your art-style is so close to hand-drawn. This is a game with an incredible amount of content for being an indie game or otherwise, and it nails it.

There isn't an auto-map, but instead there's an NPC in each area you go to (almost always quite close to the start, depending on where and how you happened to bumble into the area) you buy a map from. You hold a key to have The Knight look at the map, which also doesn't pause the game. Even looking at your inventory doesn't pause the game, but you have little reason to pause the game for your inventory anyhow as things like managing the charms you can wear can only be done at a save point. You have a certain amount of charm slots (think BP from Paper Mario) to equip your badges with, and they can provide all sorts of modifiers and boons from having money magnetize to you, to being able to heal quicker, hit harder, hit faster, or even seeing your own position on the mini-map :lol: .

The combat and platforming is super tight and feels great. The boss battles are fantastic, and the checkpoints before them are very forgiving and allow for a quick rematch if you suffer a defeat! You have a couple offensive spells, but you also can hold the spell button to stand still for a while and recover some health. You regain mana by hitting enemies with your melee weapon, though, so a pure-spell run just isn't possible. The main meat of the game is your melee weapon, but you can use it as little or as often as you want to. Especially once you get the dash and double-jump, the platforming and dodging you can do in areas and boss fights just gets nuts. The platforming can get pretty damn hard in the later areas just because of how the platforming mechanics work. In addition to your air-jump and forward-dash, if you slash downwards into spikes or an enemy, you get to do another air-jump and dash. This makes for some optional platforming sections that are fiendishly hard, but none of the mandatory ones are THAT mean (If you're going for the first ending, anyhow :P ).

The presentation is beautiful. Lots of somber, very atmospheric tracks combined with some great dramatic boss fight music. The whole setting is all about a kingdom of bugs, so there are tons of little bug fellows to interact with (but mostly fight). The art style is a beautiful hand-drawn aesthetic (although I dont' think it's literally hand-drawn animated like Cup Head). A very Dark Souls approach to narrative, that being a very gloomy but indirect and fairly indirectly told one, adds all of it up to a very unique experience. I've played a lot of Metroidvanias, and none have felt quite like exploring Hollownest.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. While Timespinner is still my favorite narrative in a Metroidvania, Hollow Knight is the best one mechanically I've ever played. It knocks it out of the park and completely deserves the great praise its been given. There are several endings, some of which requiring MUCH more platforming and boss fighting (think how much more game the second caslte in SOTN adds), so you can still see the end credits even if you don't want a crazy hard game. The game is certainly far from easy, but should give a good challenge to even genre veterans near the end. If you like Metroidvanias, this is one you are doing yourself a tremendous disservice to pass up.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:08 am

Super Mario Land (Game Boy)

I have some major nostalgic glasses for this one. I received it Christmas of 1990. I remember opening it and being so excited. How does it hold up...

Well, I really like the first 2 worlds. The game is different enough that it's a novelty. My rose colored glasses might be present for these 6 levels as these are the areas I played the most as a kid. I usually played in spurts on the go and then just died once I got so far in.

Jump to worlds 3 and 4 (last 6 levels) and the game falls apart in my opinion. The level design takes a dip. There are cheap deaths which normally isn't the case in Mario game. If you die, it is your fault... not due to a hidden falling rock and 2 enemies being placed in one small area. At one point you are battling what looked like jumping regenerating witches to me? The last boss is just crap. I tried working the patterns and attacking it strategically... no go. I beat it by button spamming... from my Mario airplane... yup, the last level is a horizontal shooter akin to TailSpin on NES. I didn't mind these 2 levels in the game (other being a submarine) but it shouldn't have been the final level or boss. Odd design choice there.

I could have sworn I beat this a couple years back, but I didn't remember that last boss or the level design falling apart so bad. Overall, a nice early effort on the GB but don't expect a NES level Mario title.

2018 Games Beaten:
1. Halo: Combat Evolved (oXbox - on original hardware)
2. Kameo: Elements of Power (360)
3. Halo 2 (oXbox game, played upscaled on 360)
4. Dead Rising 2 (360)
5. Halo 3 (360)
6. DOOM (360 XBLM)
7. Halo: Combat Evolved* (oXbox game, played upscaled on 360)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy - emulated)

* Second 2018 play through if noted
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:16 am

I absolutely love SML. Nostalgia sure. But I love that game. The music, the weird settings, everything. I prefer it over SML2, which I'm fairly sure is an unpopular opinion.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:23 am

noiseredux wrote:I absolutely love SML. Nostalgia sure. But I love that game. The music, the weird settings, everything. I prefer it over SML2, which I'm fairly sure is an unpopular opinion.

It's not a bad game... but also not as good as I remembered :lol:. The weird factor is something it has going for it for sure... stupid jumping witches though :evil:
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:26 am

Keep in mind that I'm also the weirdo whose favorite game of the NES trilogy is SMB2. :shock:
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Super Mario Bros. 2 is just phenomenal.

I know the whole "dream world" motif was tacked on for the American release, but the game does have this strange otherworldy vibe that I totally adore. The level progression is excellent. Each world feels like it's building to a grand finale. Stages are big and ripe for exploration, but not in the annoying forced "nonlinear" fashion. Add in the exemplary soundtrack and gorgeous chunky pixel art and you have one of the best games on the NES. One of the best game ever, really.

@Jag

I don't quite agree with you about Land's level design..... but I've also been playing the game regularly since launch, so perhaps a tolerance has been built. I do think the game is pretty generous with post-death respawns in the later stages.

Final boss is undeniably weird though. What's up with the sheep noises?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

by Jagosaurus Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:32 pm

noiseredux wrote:Keep in mind that I'm also the weirdo whose favorite game of the NES trilogy is SMB2. :shock:

SMB2 is good. Wait ... the best on the NES!?

@Bonez, good point on mid stage spawn after deaths. I was surprised by this. That dying sheep noise haunted my dreams last night :lol:
Flake

by Flake Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Speaking of Super Mario Bros 2:

Games Beaten January thru September:
January:

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSi ware)

February:

Roundabout (PS4)
Pocket Fighter (PSX)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Batman Arkham VR(PSVR)

March:

Gundam Versus (PS4)

April:

Batman: The Enemy Within (PS4)
Megaman 9 (PS4)
Megaman 10 (PS4)

May:

The Legend of Zelda: BotW (Switch)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS4)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA/WiiU)

June:

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Switch)
Megaman (Switch)
Megaman 2 (Switch)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS4)
Ikaruga (Switch)
Batman: Tell Tale Series (Switch)
Gunbird (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
Caladrius Blaze (PS4)

July:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (PS3)
Street Fighter (PS4)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (PS4)
Megaman X (PS4)
Megaman X4 (PS4)
Super Mario World (SNES Classic)

August:

Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Megaman X2 (PS4)

September:

SNK Gals Fighter (NGPC)
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy (Switch)
Super Mario Bros (NES Switch Online)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES Switch Online)

October:

Super Mario Bros 2 (NES Classic)
Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion (Switch)

Continuing my run through the Mario Bros classics! Just beat the best Mario game on the NES, Super Mario Bros 2. What makes it the best besides being better than everything else? The ability to select characters, for one. Before each level, there is a sense of anticipation. Should I use Mario to be ready for everything? Should I use Toad to move quickly? Luigi could help me find some secret exits! And Princess Toadstool is just sheer fun to use.

It's kind of like Mario 3D World but the choices really do make a difference in the way that you tackle a level. Add to that, the level design that doesn't emphasize solely horizontal gameplay, the variety of enemies, the ability to pick almost anything up, and the fantastic music.

Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion is really fun! It's also really hard. I don't actually like it a whole hell of a lot, tbh but I do like the content it brings like the new weapons, gear, and the Squidlings. The story is fantastic and confirms much of what has been suspected about the world of Splatoon - like it actually being a dark as fuck post apocalyptic landscape. So much love for the devs for allowing you to 'skip' much of the game if you can't beat a given level (and some of them are truly hard). It's what makes the expansion great even if you don't have the patience to grind the levels over and over again. Or - if you are me, and you just suck at Splatoon despite loving it so much.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Oct 03, 2018 11:21 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21-40

41. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Expansion Pass DLC (Switch)
42. Battle Block Theater (Xbox 360) *
43. Magicka (Steam) *
44. La-Mulana 2 (Steam)
45. Yooka-Laylee (Steam)
46. Snipper-Clips: Cut it Out Together! (Switch)
47. Magicka: Dungeons and Gargoyles (Steam)
48. Hearthstone: The Boomsday Project (PC)
49. Timespinner (PS4)
50. Hollow Knight (PC)

51. Wuppo (PC)

Before today, I'd never heard of this game, but I'm glad I have now! I looked at the new Humble Bundle available now and saw it in the > $1 tier, so I thought I'd pick up the average price tier and give this one a shot. I had expected it to be a kind of Metroidvania, but it isn't really. It's an adorable but surprisingly difficult action adventure platformer, that was well worth the price of admission. It took me about 9 hours and I got about 80% on hard mode, which I thought was juuust the right difficulty for me (although easy, normal, hard, and impossible are all unlocked from the start, which is nice :D ).

You play a little blob, of a species called Wums, who lives in the Wumhouse and gets thrown out (literally, from the 4th floor balcony) for being a lazy good-for-nothing who always gets ice cream everywhere. With nowhere else to go, you set out on an adventure to find a new place to call home. Sooner than later you get a head-mounted gum cannon, and that's when the game takes a turn to be the 'action' part of this action adventure platformer.

It is certainly odd playing a 2D game like this that ISN'T a Metroidvania. You never get any movement upgrades, and all progression is done through solving world puzzles to open up new areas via the story or just because you've gotten to a new location. From the moment you're flung from the balcony and your television falls out of your gut (making you far less heavy so you can jump much higher), you are as able to do the platforming as you'll ever be. You never get a dash move. You never get a third jump. You never get a local teleport. You get a bazooka cannon and a rapid-fire water gun fairly quickly, and you can also buy mods for your guns later too, but your general power level never really changes much, and your mobility never changes, period.

The world is big, bright, colorful, and alive though. Walking through Popo City (that's what it's called! He founded his own city of Wums! :P ) or through the amusement park and seeing all the other little blobby members of society waiting in ques (and you'll have to wait behind them for things like going through customs or riding the roller coaster), purchasing items, getting arrested by the police, it's a kind of microcosm of a society that I've never seen in a 2D game like this. Even the train runs on a consistent schedule and if you're late for it you'll have to wait for the next one. I'd have to say at least half of my nine hours playing was just wandering around the world looking for more people to help, looking for more film-reels to bring to a projectionist to play for me to learn the lore, looking for more whacky fun bosses to fight. It's kinda crazy JUST how much of the game's content is optional proportional to what isn't. It's hardly Breath of the Wild in terms of the "alive"-ness of the world, but it's certainly exceptional for a game from such a small team in a genre like this.

The world itself is great fun to explore though. A lack of any destructible or hidden walls means you're always exploring just what you can see, as most secrets lie in doing quests for NPC's that can range from fishing up someone's hat from the bottom of the polluted river to breaking someone's definitely-a-criminal friend out of jail! The platforming is very tight, and I never had a problem with it. The boss battles are also plentiful and always a good challenge (and if they're too hard, there are 4 difficulties at the start. I'd say a veteran to the Metroidvania genre would feel right at home on hard mode though). The most fun part about the boss battles has to be with the weird controls, or at least controls weird for a game in this genre. It may seem odd at first that you move with the left joystick and jump with left-trigger, but once you get your gum-cannon and learn that you use the right joystick to aim and fire it like a twin-stick shooter, the weird jumping button becomes much more clear. Though it seems odd, I never had a problem with how the game controlled (and the buttons are rebindable if you wanted to make them more normal-feeling :D ).

Verdict: Highly Recommended. Considering it's a buck right now and bundled with 2 other great games on Humble Bundle, this is something very easy to recommend. This is a great game full of charm and style and I've never played anything else quite like it. If you want something simple and colorful that the kids can watch if you have a weekend with nothing better to do, then this is something that fits the bill just right ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to General Gaming