Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Flake

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by Flake Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:43 pm

January

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)

I can't really express how much I liked this game. I've never had the opportunity to play a nice, kindly Batman along side a nigh Sociopath Bruce Wayne. But now I have and my life is better that.

What I didn't like was how often the game crashed or how you cannot replay any segments without watching a scene in its entirety. I didn't like the dipping frame rate or how much of the game wasn't on disc. I was able to get past that though - being able to have Bruce Wayne beat a company CEO nearly to death in public or have Batman hit on anything in a skirt made all the difference.

Also my first PSN platinum!
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:17 pm

If you are a Guardians of the Galaxy fan you should play that Telltale game too. So good.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:25 pm

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)

* = replay

Volume is low at work so hours are getting a little cut, more time for games!

I just casually beat DKC again in 2:15 at 74%, haha.

Still a Thunder Spirits defender... but yes, when you play it back to back with TFIII it's clear which is superior. TFIII is a beast, though I still like IV the most.

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:26 am

Xeogred wrote:10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)

It's worth owning a Saturn for Thunder Force Gold Pack 2. Thunder Force AC makes it very easy to completely forget about Thunder Spirits' existence. I routinely forget that Thunder Spirits is a thing that happened to people.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:43 am

Only nitpick I have with that version is that the music doesn't loop properly, instead it fades out quickly and starts over after every loop.

Edit: Actually it only seems to happen with TF3 and not TF AC for some reason, but the latter has only mono sound.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:20 am

pierrot wrote:
Xeogred wrote:10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)

It's worth owning a Saturn for Thunder Force Gold Pack 2. Thunder Force AC makes it very easy to completely forget about Thunder Spirits' existence. I routinely forget that Thunder Spirits is a thing that happened to people.

I've played it. The lack of lag on the Saturn versions is actually pretty weird and makes IV harder. :lol:
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:34 pm

The List So Far:
1. To the Moon [PC/Steam]
2. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. 3 [SNES]
3. The Goonies [Famicom] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
4. Disney's Kim Possible: Revenge of Monkey Fist [GBA] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
5. The Addams Family [SNES] [Together Retro - 01/2018]

6. The Adventures of Batman & Robin [SNES] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
Image Image

The first thing I need to make clear is that I'm completely biased in my views regarding Batman: The Animated Series. For me this version of Batman remains the definitive onscreen version of the character and that includes cinematic adaptations. The Animated Series gave Batman fans something to hold onto during those years when the quality of the Batman franchise was taking a nose dive in theaters (thanks a lot, Schumacher!). The next thing I should make clear is that I'm also pretty biased regarding The Adventures of Batman & Robin game released for SNES in 1994. It's a game I associate with a pivotal time in my life. I had moved into my first apartment, was barely scraping by, and I was still playing 8/16-bit games when most of the world had decisively moved on to Playstation and N64. I bought The Adventures of Batman & Robin for a mere pittance (less than $5 IIRC), and was delighted by its quality and attention to detail. I spent a bunch of time with this game, to the point where I was attempting no damage runs of the entire game. Needless to say I have a lot of nostalgia attached to this one, though I'd not played it in years. So it was not without some trepidation that I donned the tights and took to the streets of Gotham City once again. Would the game hold up after all these years? Was my nostalgia misplaced?

Image Image

Well, I'm happy to say that the game still mostly holds up. The first thing you'll notice is that the graphics are a beautiful 16-bit conversion of The Animated Series. The bold iconic style of animation is well depicted here both in terms of backgrounds and characters. Speaking of characters, the Batman cast is also well represented with regards to both the legendary rogue's gallery and supporting cast. It's probably worth mentioning that Robin only makes a couple of minor appearances in the game, and never as a playable character. So in that regard the title is a bit misleading; really these are The Adventures of Batman & … Okay Just Batman. I need to make special mention of the music though, because while it's all music from the TV show, it's phenomenally well done here. Prepare to be humming the Batman theme for days after playing this game. In terms of gameplay it's a game that deftly splits the difference between side scrolling platformer and single plane beat em' up. The in-game fighting feels good, sometimes bordering on a little stiff, but always very solid. The move set carries a certain satisfying weight and reciprocal impact. Nearly every enemy in this game is very pattern based. From the bosses to the foot soldiers once you identify their patterns you can almost walk right through the entire game.

Image Image

The platforming is perhaps not quite as well executed as the fighting aspects but it's certainly serviceable. Your jumps can feel a bit weak and lack dynamism when compared against the solid feel of your fighting moves. The wall jumping is well executed though and always fun to pull off. Where things falter a bit is during segments that require you to use the grappling hook in similar fashion to Bionic Commando. Once you get the knack for this, it's not too bad, but it can definitely feel frustrating until you do. Another aspect where the game falters is during the single driving level, in which you're tasked with chasing Two-Face in the Batmobile. I'm not the biggest fan of overhead driving games in the first place (though there are some exceptions), but here the driving just feels incredibly stiff. You can drive in a straight line or you can drive diagonally, but there's no smooth transition in between. It just feels very herky jerky. Driving the Batmobile should feel exhilarating! But here it feels like the developers were just checking off a box that said "game must include Batmobile driving segment". It's a moment of incongruity in an otherwise very solid game.

So hopefully I managed to keep my thoughts here fairly objective. The Adventures of Batman and Robin is still one of my favorite games on SNES though I think it qualifies more as a 'hidden gem' than 'one of the all-time greats'. Still if you're a retro-gaming Batman fan I would say that this one is highly worth your time. It remains one of the best old-school Batman games out there.
Last edited by nullPointer on Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
PresidentLeever
128-bit

by PresidentLeever Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:50 pm

^I remember hating the maze level but the game is something of an audiovisual treat and mostly plays well.

TF IV even had some built in slowdown on MD, I've tried overclocking it before and couldn't get rid of some of it.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Literally the newest game I've played in years (save for Dragon Quest 7 on 3DS), which I bought weeks after its release. The deluxe edition was $40 marked down from $80.

And may I just say holy SHIT! Hoping Wolfenstein 3 is even better, if that's even possible!
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:43 pm

1) Legendary Axe II (TG16) (6.0) (1/1) (2.5 hours)
2) The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES) (7.5) (1/3) (1.5 hours)
3) Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! (SNES) (6.5) (1/3) (2.5 hours)
4) The Adventures of Batman & Robin (SNES) (7.0) (1/4) (2.5 hours)
5) The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minney (7.5) (1/6) (1.5 hours)
6) Phantom 2040 (SNES) (7.0) (1/9) (9 hours?)
7) Batman: Return of the Joker (NES) (8.0) (1/10) (0.5 hours)
8) Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (SNES) (8.0) (1/15) (0.5 hours)
9) F-Zero (SNES) (7.5) (1/16) (1 hour)
10) Star Fox (SNES) (7.0) (1/17) (1 hour)
11) Marvel Super Heroes in War of the Gems (SNES) (8.0) (1/17) (1 hour)

Feeling lazy right now, may update with some verbiage a bit later. :roll:
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Return to General Gaming