Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by Gunstar Green Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:51 pm

Xeogred wrote:
X6 RULES

No.

It actually makes me angry that it exists. I won't agree with a single opinion about it other than the music is good. It's the rock bottom of the entire Mega Man franchise, the epitome of Capcom showing no care or respect towards it and putting out a product just because they knew people would buy it. It's the only video game I legitimately loathe. It's the only video game I wish never existed. It's the Sonic '06 of Mega Man, not in that it's less playable than Sonic '06, but because it represents the same shitty attitude towards its consumers. My hatred of X6 boarders on the irrational.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:39 pm

:lol: Damn! Can't bring myself to say I loathe any Mega Man. I don't like 7 at all though. :roll:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:51 pm

alienjesus wrote:I played the sequel just recently for Together Retro. It's better balanced and a lot more fair, but it's still pretty tough and still has some frustrating design elements. Expect a better experience overall, but not anything revelatory - it is very much more of the same.

Thank you. Good to hear. I may give it a shot sometime.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:13 pm

Xeogred wrote::lol: Damn! Can't bring myself to say I loathe any Mega Man. I don't like 7 at all though. :roll:

I'm meh about 7. That final Wily fight is a beast though.
Flake

by Flake Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:30 pm

I can't get enough of MM7s aesthetic. I wish it'd been around for more than 1 game and a spin-off.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:50 pm

Gunstar Green wrote:
Xeogred wrote::lol: Damn! Can't bring myself to say I loathe any Mega Man. I don't like 7 at all though. :roll:

I'm meh about 7. That final Wily fight is a beast though.

+1

I think the Wily fight almost redeems the rest of the game. It is definitely the part I remember the fondest.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:00 pm

I always get weirded out when people bash Mega Man & Bass. I think that one blows 7 out of the water tenfold. And I'm glad it uses 8's superior sprites. It's also one of the hardest ones to me personally but I've only finished it a few times over. Bass is awesome and controls like an X character, though he's got directional fire his buster is total weak sauce. I played it again last year with Mega Man, maybe I'll go for another run with Bass soon since I'm always craving more Mega Man.

I also remember when it was called Mega Man 9 all over the net back in the day. Everything about the game and the OST exudes a strange comfy nostalgia to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgTfWwQzTc
Flake

by Flake Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:13 pm

It was definitely the weirdest thing in the world when I was downloading ROMs that I totally had physical copies for *cough* back when I was a kid. At first I thought it was a fan game or a hack.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:11 am

The List So Far:

22. Operation C [GB]
Image Image

Conceptualize with me for a moment if you will. Your dear old mother NESsie used to make a wonderful soup. It was a delicious mix of big tasty set pieces floating in a lively broth and garnished with the utmost in crispy control schemes. She called this soup Contra. Years later you're in the grocery store and you see an instant soup mix. It's called Operation C and on the label it says it says that it's perfect for lovers of Contra. Is it possible that this scaled back version of Contra can ever compare to your dear ol' Mama's masterpiece!? You take it home, pop it in the microwave. and … hey … this ain't half bad at all! Mama NESsie would approve.

Image Image

Putting aside the half-baked parable above, I had my doubts about whether Operation C could effectively carry on the legacy of its console brethren in a portable format. The general folk wisdom here is that Gameboy conversions and sequels generally require concessions to be made in order to make the source material work. Sometimes this means that the controls feel slightly more herky-jerky (Super Mario Land). Sometimes the graphic conversion is not particularly favorable (Donkey Kong Land). And sometimes the gameplay format is completely altered (Blaster Master Boy). So what does this mean for Operation C? Are there concessions here? Well yes; but I was happy to find that they were exceedingly minor. Against all odds the things you love about Contra have made the transition to handheld more or less unscathed! Movement feels immediately familiar and silky smooth. Despite the monochrome display, the graphics look fantastic and recognizably Contra. I always enjoy Contra games that contain a mix of side scrolling and overhead segments and Operation C succeeds with aplomb in this regard.

Image Image

So what kind of concessions are present then? Well if you're looking for much in the way of series progression, you won't necessarily find that here. The homing weapon is a new twist, although for the most part it's more a curiosity than it is a fully functional boom stick (spread gun for lyfe!). Also conspicuously absent are the larger than life set piece bosses we've become accustomed to in Contra titles. The bosses here are fine for what they are. Particularly towards the end of the game they'll keep you on your toes, and several of them have been cleverly implemented, but they all lack the jaw dropping bombast you might see from bosses in the console titles. But ultimately I think that's fine. What you will find here is just an incredibly competent portable version of Contra; nothing more, nothing less. Operation C might skew slightly towards easier difficulty, particularly when compared against the 16 bit (and later) entries in the series, but again I think that's fine. The difficulty is well tuned for a portable title.

Image Image

I was aware that this game had a great reputation, and I was not disappointed in the slightest. Unless are you simply diametrically opposed to the Contra series altogether, I'd recommend this to 8-bit enthusiasts of all stripes. In the same way that Contra and Super-C are some of the best titles for NES, I'd easily say that Operation C is one of the best titles for Gameboy.
Last edited by nullPointer on Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigpunisha

by bigpunisha Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:45 am

Old topic, but I just finished crash bandicoot n sane trilogy tonight after playing it for like a week.. I'm stoked! This game was awesome the whole way thru. :mrgreen:
Return to General Gaming