Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
64-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by pook99 Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:48 am

dsheinem wrote:pook, how have you managed to beat more than a game per day so far this year? I mean, I realize a lot of these games you have played can be super short, but many of them also require a lot of trial and error, route memorizing, etc. in order to be completed without save states, credit-feeding, cheat codes, etc. Are you just using some of these things to play the games through to the credits, or are you beating them all under the default conditions? Either is fine - I am just curious. I don’t think we’ve seen these kinds of numbers from anyone in the 8 years or so we’ve run this thread....

Many of the games on the list are games I have played and beaten so many times that I just blaze through them, stuff like Contra, castlevanias etc are so ingrained in my head that I beat them every time I play them with no cheat codes or save states. Also many of these games are not long, just take yesterday for example, I woke up and played through rescue rangers which is super short and easy, then I played life force, both of these games took me about an hour combined to beat. Life force is tough but its one of those I played so much in my life I know what to expect.

I then played some Nioh, which I am about 11 hours in and far from beating, before playing through Mega Man 3, mega Man 3 is pretty long, took me about 2 hours but I played it straight through, before finally finishing with contra 3, which even though I havent played in a about a year, still managed to beat on my first run with no continues.

All told I played about 4-5 hours of games yesterday, which is about average on vacation days for me.

The exception to this rule is arcade games, arcade games I typically play on MAME and just credit spam to get through, the only time I really use save states is when I am mid game and need to stop for something, then I will save state so I can resume later, but I don't typically save state spam to get through games, not that there is anything wrong with that, I just dont prefer to do it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:13 pm

dsheinem wrote:On TNC - the game is more difficult if you try to employ stealth, I think, because neither the AI nor the levels are well designed for it. The game encourages you in a number of ways to try to be stealthy, but there’s really no reason to do so unless you want to go for stealth achievements or some such. By contrast, there are lots of places in the game where a ton of ammo and health is laying around, and enemies always drop weapons and armor, so I never really felt I had to worry about resource management. I think people who have complained about difficulty likely tried to do what the game steered them towards (stealth)...but there’s no real reason to play it that way.

Damn, that really more or less kills any interest I had in TNC. It sounds like it has all the issues I had with Old Blood but even worse :cry: . I mean for all the over-emphasized stealth and slower, less interesting story bits that Old Blood had, at the very least it had a really kick-ass final boss :?
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jul 27, 2018 2:33 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Damn, that really more or less kills any interest I had in TNC. It sounds like it has all the issues I had with Old Blood but even worse :cry: . I mean for all the over-emphasized stealth and slower, less interesting story bits that Old Blood had, at the very least it had a really kick-ass final boss :?

There's a lot about TNC to like, and I would probably encourage you to try it when it goes on sale at some point, despite my criticisms. If you don't mind a lot of story and trying to ignore the stealth approach, it is a fun romp with some great levels, memorable scenes, etc.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Agreed. Basically, take advantage of the fact you can throw axes at people if they don't notice you as a way to thin out numbers before you hit the big setpiece battles.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:49 pm

MrPopo wrote:Agreed. Basically, take advantage of the fact you can throw axes at people if they don't notice you as a way to thin out numbers before you hit the big setpiece battles.

I will consider it. Old Blood honestly felt like a huge waste of my time and really just made me wanna play New Order or Doom again. I have a sinking feeling that TNC would really just do more of the same for me. If I can ever find it for like sub-$10, I may give it a whirl though.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:24 pm

Games Beaten 2018
The first 50:
Darkwing Duck - NES (PS4)
DuckTales - NES (PS4)
DuckTales 2 - NES (PS4)
Talespin - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES (PS4)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
The Heart of Dark - PS1 (Vita)
Justice - PS1 (Vita)
Caligo - PC
Tomb Raider (2013) - X1
Nephise Begins - PC
Diablo III: The Darkening of Tristam - PC
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - X1
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES
Forza Horizon 3 - X1/ PC
Elbub - PC
Tekken 4 -PS2
Injustice 2 -PS4
Apollo 11 VR - PSVR
Star Wars Battlefront II -PS4
Unearthing Mars - PSVR
Jenny of the Prairie - C64
Part Time UFO - iOS
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite - PS4
War of the Monsters -PS2
Far Cry 5 - PS4
Uncharted: Lost Legacy - PS4
Soul Calibur 2 - GCN
God of War (2018) - PS4
Orcs and Elves - NDS
Tekken 7 - PS4
House of the Dead 4 Special - PS3
S.A.R. (Search and Rescue) - PS3
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR - PSVR
Time Crisis: Razing Storm - PS3
Time Crisis IV - PS3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - PS4
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou - 360
Ketsui Kizuna Shigokutachi Extra - PS3
Bad Dudes - Arcade (Wii)
Crude Buster - Arcade (Wii)
Wizard Fire - Arcade (Wii)
Heavy Barrel - Arcade (Wii)
The Bouncer - PS2
Thor: God of Thunder - NDS
Destiny 2: Warmind - PS4
King Oddball - PS4
High Hell - PC
Postal Redux - PC

Super Night Riders - PC
Slap City - PC
Ultraflow - iOS
Grim Dawn - PC
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - PC
Postal 2 - PC *new*

Total: 56

Previously: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

This was the first time I've played the infamous Postal 2, and the game certainly lives up to its reputation as a title that is full of juvenile humor, deliberately offensive jokes, and kill-em-all violence. And, I loved it. Playing the game was like being transported back to the burgeoning culture of the Something Awful forums circa the late 1990s/early 2000s, which was super-important to me at that time in my life. Because of this, Postal 2 is in a certain way a very perfect expression of what it is gunning for. I will admit to not caring for the shift from a twin stick shooter (Postal 1) to a FPS (Postal 2) at first, but both games are excellent entries in their respective genres. I peed on a lot of things, smoked a lot of drugs, killed a lot of cops, and murdered countless innocents. And I laughed manically the whole time, enjoying the shit out of it. I can't wait to dive into the expansions...
pook99
64-bit

by pook99 Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:17 am

223. Ghouls n ghosts (genesis)
224. Castle of illusion starring Mickey Mouse(genesis)

Castle of illusion is a game that I have never played before and it has been on my list of games to play forever. I've heard nothing but good things about the game and was very excited to finally try it.

I have to say I was incredibly disappointed in this game, the firs thing that grabs me is just how slow the game is. The control is responsive enough but Mickey just slogs through every level, making the game really boring to play.

Level design is pretty trashy as well. It is one of those games that do not know how to do difficulty. It starts off easy enough, probably too easy, but thats okay given that it is a disney game likely aimed at kids. The first few levels I did not die at all, and the only hits I took were when I was jumping over a pit and an enemy that I had no way of knowing was there, just flew into me from offscreen. These little cheap moments are annoying but since the game as a whole is so easy it is more of a nuisance than a hindrance.

The second to last level(the castle level for anyone who has played it) is just a complete mess of trial and error. I made it to this level with about 5 lives and both continues remaining, finished the level with 1 life and 1 continue remaining, it just seems that every step led to another cheap death, the thing is all of these deaths were easy to avoid once you knew they were coming but there was just a lot of replaying the whole level getting over the obstacle, die, and repeat until the level finally ended.

After this mess you go through the easiest swimming level of all time, with the final level being a slog up a clocktower with flying bats everywhere that just made me wish I was playing castlevania. After making your way of up the clocktower you fight 2 more stupidly easy bosses and the game is over.

Overall, this was a huge let down, I honestly did not enjoy any time I spent with this game, and my only consolation is how quickly it was over. I am a huge fan of disney games, rescue rangers, ducktales, darkwing duck, and magical quest are among some of my favorite games as a kid, so i was really expecting to like this game, but I should have expected medioctrity when I turned it on and the Capcom logo did not flash on the screen.
Ack

by Ack Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:19 am

Hey Ds, Postal 2 multiplayer also lets you play as Gary Coleman, and you can snipe with the shotgun. That game is stupidly magical.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:30 pm

Ack wrote:Hey Ds, Postal 2 multiplayer also lets you play as Gary Coleman, and you can snipe with the shotgun. That game is stupidly magical.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?
Ack

by Ack Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:16 pm

Yep. Deathmatch skins in Postal 2 included Postal Guy, Coleman, and the Gimp.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming