Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:58 pm

I'd like to continue, yeah, but I first have to grab parts II and 4.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:11 pm

I think 4 was my fav but it's been many years.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:44 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'd like to continue, yeah, but I first have to grab parts II and 4.

I LOVE the Wario Land games. Wario Land (Virtual Boy) is in the same mold as SML3: Wario Land (Gameboy), but a vast improvement in all respects. I highly recommend it. Wario Land 2 (Gameboy) and Wario Land 3 (Gameboy Color) are exceptional puzzle platformers, and Wario is actually completely invincible in Wario Land 3 (I.e., it is all puzzle). I like them both, but Wario Land 3 is just so unique. Wario Land 4 (Gameboy Advance) and Wario Land: Shake It! (Wii) also play similarly. They are collectathon puzzle platformers with a strange “play the level backwards and get to the exit as fast as you can” mechanic. I was a bit lukewarm on Wario Land 4 after the brilliant Wario Land 3, but in addition to being gorgeous, Wario Land: Shake It! is one of my favorite games on any platform in any genre. I really can’t recommend it enough.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:44 pm

Now that you describe 3, I think that was the best one. It had the bullhorn hat right?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:58 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'd like to continue, yeah, but I first have to grab parts II and 4.

I LOVE the Wario Land games. Wario Land (Virtual Boy) is in the same mold as SML3: Wario Land (Gameboy), but a vast improvement in all respects. I highly recommend it. Wario Land 2 (Gameboy) and Wario Land 3 (Gameboy Color) are exceptional puzzle platformers, and Wario is actually completely invincible in Wario Land 3 (I.e., it is all puzzle). I like them both, but Wario Land 3 is just so unique. Wario Land 4 (Gameboy Advance) and Wario Land: Shake It! (Wii) also play similarly. They are collectathon puzzle platformers with a strange “play the level backwards and get to the exit as fast as you can” mechanic. I was a bit lukewarm on Wario Land 4 after the brilliant Wario Land 3, but in addition to being gorgeous, Wario Land: Shake It! is one of my favorite games on any platform in any genre. I really can’t recommend it enough.

Wario: Master of Disguise on the DS is also kiiiinda a Wario Land game. I love all the games (although I'm the weirdo who likes the third game the least), but given how you basically need to keep the stylus in your hand to draw Wario's disguises onto him, I can definitely see why some people hate how it controls and just don't like it. The Wario Land games are all excellent though. I love them all <3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:44 am

I've always been pretty torn on Wario Land as a series - the slow pace and exploration never quite gelled with me, and whilst I think the puzzle stages in the middle of the series are quite interesting, I don't like the way you're constantly punished for getting something wrong by being sent back to the start of entire sections (for example, there are many, many sections where you will have to get to the bottom of an area but enemies turn you into a spring or balloon forcing you to float or bounce back to the top).

My feelings on the series are:

Wario Land - Meh
VB Wario Land - This one is ok
Wario Land 2 - I hate this one
Wario Land 3 - pretty decent
Wario Land 4 - meh
Wario Land: The Shake Dimension - phenomenal
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

by dunpeal2064 Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:06 am

My experience with the Wario Land games stretches out over quite some time, so I can't really judge them fairly, which is partly why I kinda want to replay them now, but here's where they fall for me currently"

Wario Land: Played this as a straight sequel to SML2 as a kid, didn't really know what it was, ended up loving it. I revisited it maybe 4 years ago, and still enjoyed it, but the series clearly grew from here

Wario Land 2: Also played this a ton as a kid, and liked it way more than the first game. I played a few levels of it a few years back, but got distracted, so its hard to say what I'd think of it now, but it was my go-to back in the day

Wario Land 3: I couldn't really get into this one. Maybe it was the inability to lose? I dunno, it just didn't stick with me, I need to revisit it, as I haven't tried it since I was a kid. Maybe I was just burnt out on them.

Wario Land 4: I played this for the first time last year, and it was fantastic. I can't imagine any of the other games passing it up, just a super fun, goofy, beautiful game.

Wario Land Shake-It: I also had a lot of fun with this. Its not quite on 4's level for me, but its pretty high up there

VB Wario Land: Just finished this, thought it was rather solid, had a great time with it.

As it stands now, I'd rank em 4>Shake>2>VB>3=1, or something close to that. But like I said, I need to play them closer together to properly compare them.
marurun

by marurun Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:42 am

The only Wario Land game I have played is 4, and despite some frustrating moments, I found the game, overall, to be fantastic. Also, I'm pretty sure lots of drugs were involved in its creation.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:59 pm

I like most of the Wario games, honestly. The first even has its charms. If you want something like it, though, but improved in almost every way, play the Virtual Boy game. That one was the first game I tracked down on obtaining the system.

Wario Land 3 ends up being fascinating, mostly because it takes the form of an exploratory platformer. You get new abilities, revisit areas, and so on. I think it lasts just a touch too long, but is still fantastic.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

by MrHealthy Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:56 pm

February
1. Metal Slug 3 (Vita)

March
2. My Name is Mayo (PS4) Replay
3. The Walking Dead (Vita) Replay

April
4. Killzone Mercenary (Vita)
5. Rivals of Aether (PC)