Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by REPO Man Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:52 pm

Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue for PC. It's a free Metroidvania released (briefly) in Japan (there's a fan translation that translates the story) to promote the 3DS remake of SMT: Strange Journey.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:00 pm

1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)

I was reorganizing my 3DS eShop games and decided to play around with Zombie Incident a bit. It is a hop ‘n bop exploratory platformer inspired by MSX games (i.e., bright, decidedly 8-bit graphics, chip tunes, and no scrolling). I paid $2 for it, and since I beat it in one sitting (and on my second attempt) that’s about what it’s worth. It was pretty fun while it lasted, but it is incredibly simple. Your character can only move left, move right, and jump. (There is a wall jump, but it feels a little glitchy...just like old MSX games!) Also, there are only five enemy types, excluding palette-swaps, and the only difference between them is that some of them move up-and-down, as opposed to left-and-right. Finally, the only difference between stronger enemies and weaker ones is how many times you have to stomp on them to defeat them. As a result, the games gets more annoying as you proceed. Thankfully, it is so short that it never wears out its welcome, and exploring the map is compelling until the end. Accordingly, if you already own it and are looking for a distraction, it is worth a play through. I probably wouldn’t recommend picking it up, however.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:39 pm

My man. I dig that game too, but have yet to sink my teeth into it. Had no idea it was so short, that's great news!
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:40 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)

I beat Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64 this afternoon!

Like most people my own age, Goldeneye 007 on the N64 was an important part of my life. I would go to friend's houses and play that game and even played it against people in my college dorm. After the success of Goldeneye, I kind of fell off when it came to video games. Eventually, I came back home and I began looking into Goldeneye. I eventually picked up its successor, The World Is Not Enough, but it was not developed by Rare. So, I saw that Rare made Perfect Dark after Goldeneye and I had to track the game down for myself. Eventually, I secured a copy several years ago and have been playing it every now and then ever since.

The great aspect about Perfect Dark is that it plays exactly like Goldeneye. The controls are a bit tighter and your gun has a better chance of hitting the enemy which makes the game run so much more smoothly. The experience of going through each level is not as memorable as the previous game, but it's more polished and much easier to do. I really like the character of Joanna Dark as she has some spunk to her, sounds great and changes costumes compared to the situation. She is feisty yet incredibly suave. The weapons are great and incredibly varied. Some of the weapons even have different modes of fire, so each one feels very unique and very fun to handle. The gadgets are there, but sometimes they just get in the way and slow the game down some.

However, the game REALLY slows down during certain action sequences. You get more than 5 enemies shooting machine guns at you and you are suddenly in bullet time. Besides that, it still has the Rare trademark glitches and problems. I'd do a mission perfectly and it wouldn't finish. Do it exactly the same again and it would end. However, the worst part is probably the story in the game. The first half is very spy oriented and very interesting. The second half involves an alien named Elvis and other aliens that are similar to the ones from the Halo franchise. It lost me there and I wondered what it had to do with the original part of the game.

Overall, the nitpicks don't stop Perfect Dark from being an excellent game. If you are Goldeneye fan, then Perfect Dark is a must play and sits high above its contemporaries as a great N64 game. Nostalgia has Goldeneye being the favorite game, but I can see where Perfect Dark might be the better game in terms of actual gameplay.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:46 pm

Markies wrote:I beat Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64 this afternoon!

Great review Markies! This is another one that always seems to be just out of reach in my backlog. Does anyone know how the remastered version on the Xbox 360 fairs? Does it compare favorably to and/or exceed the quality of the original?

The List So Far:
1. To the Moon [PC/Steam]
2. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. 3 [SNES]
3. The Goonies [Famicom] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
4. Disney's Kim Possible: Revenge of Monkey Fist [GBA] [Together Retro - 01/2018]

5. The Addams Family [SNES] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
Image Image

The Addams Family was one of the earliest 'modern reboot' films that I can recall in my memory, so much so that the movie even predates the term 'modern reboot'. I'm sure there were other earlier 'rebooted' franchises (I mean how many times have the classic Universal monsters been rebooted?), but the amount of hoopla surrounding this film was considerable, and that's probably what makes it stand out in my mind. Anyone remember MC Hammer's timeless classic The Addams Family Groove? No? Well then thank your lucky stars, because it sucks. The output of the marketing blitz surrounding The Addams Family movie wasn't all bad though, and The Addams Family game released for SNES is indeed … not half bad. In fact I'm willing to go on record to say it's "fully decent". How's that for a box quote?

Image Image

At its core The Addams Family is a fairly good Mario clone, possibly even one of the better second-string Mario clones I've played on the SNES. From the onset, it's fairly clear that the developers actually put some effort into this game rather than regurgitating some half-baked licensed turd for a quick buck. The Addams Family is a game that wears its Mario inspiration proudly and it actually does so fairly well. From the cutesy character models, to the bouncy well executed music, to the clever level designs, it's a game that instantly feels familiar. As Gomez, your goal is to rescue the various members of the Addams Family who have somehow been taken captive and are being held at various locations throughout the labyrinthine Addams Family manor. Each 'level' branches out from a central starting hub room, though there are several branches of the house that are interconnected either directly or through hidden shortcuts. The level design is a real highlight of the game. The music is also very well done, and the digitized version of the Addams Family theme is every bit as kooky and catchy as one might expect.

Image Image

There are some aspects of The Addams Family game which are altogether ooky though. Despite the fact that it tries really hard to feel like a Mario game, it never quite gets there especially in terms of control (and really if you're trying to feel like a Mario game this seems like that should be priority #1). One of the first things I noticed is that forward momentum is tricky to manage. It's a very 'drifty' feeling game. Couple this with the fact that edge detection can be hit-or-miss and you have an artificial sense of difficulty which could have been managed if only for more finely tuned controls. And The Addams Family isn't just artificially difficult; it's a full-on ball buster in certain areas. It's a game that takes great delight in trolling players through off-screen enemy and trap placements. This often requires some highly precise platforming, which the game struggles to facilitate due to the aforementioned control issues. I also hate to say it, but the graphics are just sort of … meh. They're entirely passable, just not super impressive. Graphically I'd say it feels on the level of NES 1.5 if that makes any sense.

When all is said and done, The Addams Family is a fairly good game. It's certainly challenging and often in ways that feel not-quite-fair, but much like the Mario games it seeks to emulate, The Addams Family has that hook that keeps you coming back for more. Recommended for diehard fans of side-scrolling platformers, and Addams Family junkies (assuming that they exist). Now just try to get that theme song out of your head. <snap, snap>
Last edited by nullPointer on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:07 pm

nullPointer wrote:
Markies wrote:I beat Perfect Dark on the Nintendo 64 this afternoon!

Great review Markies! This is another one that always seems to be just out of reach in my backlog. Does anyone know how the remastered version on the Xbox 360 fairs? Does it compare favorably to and/or exceed the quality of the original?

The remaster is amazing! Dual analog control scheme, 1080p/60FPS. Definitely the best way to play it now. Sadly Goldeneye did have a build running similarly and you can find videos of it online, but I guess Nintendo and Microsoft couldn't come to any agreements about a release.

I played the heck out of both back in the day, but I'm a bigger Perfect Dark fan in the end. It carried over the fan favorites Temple and Complex/Stack, along with the crazier PD weapons, customization, and addition of bots. Man that game sucked up so much time it was amazing. I probably like Goldeneye's campaign more than PD's though.
Omerta
Next-Gen

by Omerta Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:10 pm

Hammered out some Castlevania: Circle of the Moon earlier in the month. This was my only game for a long time with with my launch GBA. I hadn't played it since then and, like many others, can attest to the fact that it's 100x funner on a back lit screen and immensely easier.

I had way more trouble with Dracula this time around. Once I figured out how to item crash the screen-covering creature summons, I got it in about two tries. This beast still holds up great today and I'll probably go back to finish the gauntlet.

Also plowed through some Aladdin on SNES for TR. Spent countless hours on that one as a first grader. It was just like riding a bicycle and got my groove back quickly. It's still a great classic game.

And last night I beat Gunstar Heroes for the first time ever. Rented it several times as a kid and got whipped trying to compete with my brother for items. Once I figured out the laser / homing ammo combo, it was pretty much easy mode. Simply became a matter of dodging attacks with my thumb laid firmly on the fire button. Lots of character to that one, and I'll definitely play it again in the future.
"Farewell, good hunter.
May you find your worth
in the waking world."
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:06 pm

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)

* = replay

ImageImage
ImageImage

Replayed the bootleg Thunder Force III again, haha. I've always had a soft spot for Spirits actually, I remember picking it up years ago before I knew of the Thunder Force connection. But immediately upon playing it I realized it was some weird renamed port. There are differences though, no level select at the beginning, one of Thunder Force II's iconic levels is in here, and there's a few other different levels. The bosses are all hilariously easy, but the hit detection, slow down, and flickering can be problematic sometimes. It's still easy to get through on your first try like III as well though. When you have a shield, claw, and homing, you're good to go.

I still actually really enjoy the OST for what it is. Technosoft were masters of the Genesis, but this little Seika port isn't too bad and still a solid SNES shmup in my book and recommended for Thunder Force fans to give a fair shot.

Thunder Spirits (SNES) Music - Stage 06
Thunder Spirits (SNES) Music - Stage 07
Thunder Spirits (SNES) Music - Stage 04
Thunder Spirits (SNES) Music - Boss Battle Boss 6
Thunder Spirits (SNES) Music - Boss Battle King Fish

ImageImage
ImageImage
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:47 pm

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)

Growing up, I quickly developed a distaste for licensed platformers. The great majority I encountered were sub-mediocre, simple cash-ins attempting to ride the coattails of whatever film, movie, or cartoon show was hot. Even "good" developers like Konami dropped some stinkers (you know what I'm thinking of). Then there was the way publications like Nintendo Power rubbed these games in our faces. Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny appear on magazine covers while juggernauts like Ogre Battle end up buried in the pages of "Epic Center" -- unacceptable!

Of course the "all licensed games are bad" stereotype is just that: a stereotype. A great many of these games are undeniably well-crafted. For example, Capcom's Disney's Aladdin for the SNES (later ported to the GBA). Note that the Virgin and SIMS developed games for computers and Sega systems are completely different beasts altogether.
Based on the 1992 film of the same name (ya don't say!), the game chronicles the journey of street urchin and wannabe prince Aladdin as he attempts the court the love of Princess Jasmine and defeat the evil Jafar. Oh yeah, and there's a genie too. And a monkey. The game's a "hop and bop" type of platformer, though Aladdin is also equipped with a projectile weapon (apples) that can stun enemies for a spell. Said produce is mostly effective against smaller foes and in the game's earliest stages. Later levels are full of pitfalls, so it's easier to just get into a rhythm of hopping over or on everything. When I finished the game I had a cache of 99 apples.

Every environment featured in the movie has been meticulously recrafted for the game. Aladdin begins in his desert hometown and traverses through caverns and temples, before facing Jafar in the Sultan's palace. Of course, sticking closely to a movie typically don't provide a developer with quite enough to work with, so some areas need to be invented. Here, Aladdin makes a detour into the genie's lamp: a series of trippy platforming challenges rife with bizarre comical sprite work.

This is a beautiful game. Every stage is adorned with massive hand-drawn(?) backgrounds -- many of which foreshadow things to come. Sprites are huge and animation frames are high. Aladdin runs, slides, leaps, swings, glides. There's a touch of Prince of Persia and The Lost Vikings in this control scheme, as our eponymous hero can swing from hooks, grab ledges, and glide through the air with the aid of a swath of cloth obtained early on. For comic relief there's an AI-controlled Abu toddling behind Aladdin at all times, triumphantly munching on apples at level's end.

As a break from the platforming, there are two magic carpet ride segments. The first (the cave escape) is a bit controversial -- this is the only spot in the game where the control falters a bit and some memorization is required to successfully avoid the insta-death lava wave and rock wall hazards. And before we had "dating simulators" in the West we were instead treated to the "A Whole New World" Aladdin/Jasmine date scene: a tranquil sort of a "bonus stage" with an enemy tally of zero.
Ultimately, the game's just fun to play. It's indubitably smooth and fluid and locks right down into that addictive platforming groove almost immediately. Aladdin's hour-long playtime is an asset rather than a detriment -- there's no putzing around here; just a succinct linear journey from initial conflict to resolution.

Interspersed between most stages are cutscenes. These are lifted straight from the film, naturally, and while the graphical stills look fantastic, the choppy halted text leaves something to be desired. The soundtrack is excellent -- of course Capcom had the benefit of using Disney's original score. Each tune from the film is recreated in glorious chiptune, with some original work thrown into the mix as well.

One possible point of contention: the game is very, very easy. Life refills are numerous, and post-stage bonuses provide frequent one-ups, permanent health upgrades, and additional (unneeded) continues. Boilerplate enemies provide virtually zero challenge, and there's a distinct absence of boss battles. And with the "grab every ledge" mechanic, seeing Aladdin fall victim to a pitfall is a rare sight indeed. Personally, I welcome the low difficulty, as it meshes well with the overall film/game aesthetic. Artificially pumping up the challenge leads to goofy clunkers like Westwood Studios' adaptation of The Lion King.

For those seeking an addition challenge, there is a "collectathon" involving a series of hard-to-reach red gems scattered around each stage. It's not particularly fun, and it's something I've always ignored, but if you're eager to see an extra five seconds tacked onto the game's ending cutscene then go for it.

Not only is Aladdin one of the best licensed titles of the retro era, it's also one of the stronger platformers of any variety. Capcom and Disney truly forged a special bond back in the days of yore (*sniffle*) -- this is one of the best things to emerge from that relationship.
Last edited by BoneSnapDeez on Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:11 pm

And to think that the disney/Capcom relationship ended in Disney's hide and sneak on the gamecube
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to General Gaming