Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:Nice. I adored BoxBoxBoy! It is, IMO, the pinnacle of the series. (Bye-Bye BoxBoy! is also good, but it lacks its predecessor’s complexity.)

I knew if anyone would appreaciate me playing through a 3DS eShop game, it'd be you, Prfsnl :3
Sad to hear that about Bye-Bye BoxBoy though. I'll still probably pick it up eventually though. I love me some BoxBoy <3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 66
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
45. Gundam Breaker 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5
47. Corpse Killer - Sega CD 32X - April 9
48. Corpse Killer - Saturn - April 11*
49. Area 51 - Saturn - April 16*
50. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - Sega CD - April 17
51. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - PlayStation 4 - April 28*

May (6 Games Beaten)
52. Detention - PlayStation 4 - May
53. Guacamelee - Wii U - May 6
54. EDGE - Wii U - May 7
55. RUSH - Wii U - May 9
56. Pokemon Snap - Nintendo 64 - May 27
57. Doom VFR - PS VR - May 27

June (9 Games Beaten)
58. Jurassic Pinball - Switch - June 8
59. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn - Switch - June 9
60. Lost Sphear - Switch - June 11
61. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - Wii - June 12
62. Medal of Honor: Vanguard - Wii - June 14
63. Pokemon Quest - Switch - June 15
64. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 3DS - June 17
65. Art of Balance - Wii U - June 17
66. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch - June 18

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is a Castlevania game in all but the name, and DAMN, does it capture the awesomeness of old school Castlevania well. A lot of the talent behind the early Castlevania games is present here, so it's not surprise that it emulates the feel of those early 8-bit games so well. I got a download code for this from Mr. Popo, so super kudos to him. I figured the game would be fun, but I didn't expect it to be THIS fun.

If you've played any of the NES Castlevania games, then you know how the basic mechanics here work. You go through side scrolling levels with some platforming bits and both ascending and descending stairs to get to an endboss. You've got a special weapon that has limited uses, and you can swap that out for new special weapons that you find in the field. Just like old Castlevania, right? The first major difference is that you have multiple characters between whom you can switch on the fly during gameplay, and each character handles a little different. One is better at platforming, one has a better distance attack, one can fly, one has better magic, etc.

The other big difference between Bloodstained and Castlevania is that this is a much more accessible game. You can play "Veteran" with limited lives and knockback, but there's also a casual mode that gives you infinite lives and doesn't knock your character back when you take damage. Being a punk ass bitch who sucks at video games, I naturally played on casual. I do plan to go back through on veteran now that I have an idea of how each character played and truly "complete" the game, but even the forgiving casual mode is a ton of fun.

Normally I'm pretty critical of pixel art style games these days. It just feels like such a cheap done-to-death way of making games. I never once found myself irritated with it here, though. This game is so GOOD that it never bothered me. Not only does the amazingly fun gameplay keep my mind off of the fact that its pixel art, but it actually works here in a way that most games can't claim; it's an intentional call back to the Castlevania games of the late 80s that this mimics. In addition to that, the art is extremely well done. It looks absolutely beautiful, and the character sprites are fantastic. The music, too, is every bit as amazing as the visuals and will put any retro gamer in nostalgic bliss.

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is an absolutely fantastic resurrection of the 8-bit era Castlevania style and a definitely must-play for fans of the three NES Castlevanias. At only $10, it's not a bad price at all given how high the quality of the game is. One of the big goals is obviously to get people interested in the main Bloodstained game, Ritual of the Night, and in that endeavor, it has DEFINITELY worked on me; that game rocketed up my list of upcoming releases to keep an eye on. With its difficulty setting, it's got the approachability that less skilled players like me (that's the nice of way saying "people who suck at games") like to see as well as the challenge that genre veterans will crave. The only real complaint I have with the game is that it's a bit short in my opinion, and some of the bosses are pretty easy to cheese your way through. Otherwise, though, this is one of the best eShop games I've played yet on Switch.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

^ That was released almost a month ago and you're just getting to it? Casual.

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
23. Arcade Archives: Ninja-Kid (Switch eShop)
24. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
25. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom (Switch eShop)
26. Front Line (Atari 2600)
27. Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)

Super Mario Bros. 3 and Super Mario World get all the attention. Sure, they're literally the two greatest platformers of all time, but ya know what, Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins is up there too. Easily one of the finest Game Boy releases, I'd argue that it may be the third best overall Mario title as well.

6 Golden Coins hit the scene in 1992, about a year and a half after Super Mario World. Much like its handheld predecessor, the original Super Mario Land, Nintendo finely tuned this game specifically for the Game Boy hardware, taking careful consideration of all the system's strengths and limitations. Contrast this to the other big names - Sega, Atari, Tiger - who attempted to fill their beastly bricks with compromised downgraded ports; results were mixed, to say the least.

Once again, the plot of this one is separate from, but tenuously related to, the mainline console titles. Apparently while Mario was away in Sarasa Land battling evil alien forces, his old nemesis Wario swooped into Mario Land (apparently Mario has his own kingdom), took over Mario's castle, and scattered the six key-coins across the landscape. Yeah, it's goofy and rudimentary stuff, but Wario is a great villain. Too comical and charming to truly play the role of "bad guy," Wario would soon star in his own games and transition from antagonist to antihero to outright lovable dude. Everybody likes Wario.
Gameplay is heavily reminiscent of the both Mario 3 and World. Six "worlds" - each consisting of several themed levels - must be completed before Mario can attempt to reclaim his throne. In a twist, the worlds here can be tackled in any order, and no advantages can be gained by exploring specific areas first. This also means that the game was constructed with a specific static difficulty in mind. The final level of each world concludes with a boss battle (bop it three times!) and the acquisition of a golden coin. This nonlinearity, though arguably unnecessary, works to enhance replay value. I know I approach the game a bit differently with each subsequent playthrough.

One place Super Mario World dropped the ball - the cohesiveness of its own worlds (what's the deal with "Chocolate Island" anyway...? It's just kinda brown). 6 Golden Coins remedies this problem, featuring individual stages that are taut and meticulously designed for on-the-go play, clustered into unified thematic worlds. Take the Turtle Zone, for instance. It begins in a seaside area where Mario has the option of staying above or below the waterline, transitions into a subterranean submarine labyrinth, and concludes within the pulsating and spiky belly of a whale. The other Zones are equally as impressive. For those who enjoy the haunted house stages of other Mario installments, but hate the tedious "puzzles," there's a Pumpkin Zone here, complete with spooky gothic architecture and an outdoor cemetery. Rounding out the set are a Space Zone (with mandatory floaty "moon jumping"), a Macro Zone where Mario becomes micro, an ascending Tree Zone that concludes with a battle inside a bird's nest, and a "Mario Zone" which literally takes place inside of a giant Mario statue replete shifting gears, pulleys, and ball bearings. I guess Mario Land needs a Mario statue, after all. Individual stages are fast-paced and bite-sized, with a background auto-save occurring after each one is completed.

There are secrets to be found. Like World, these are handled cleverly. Instead of warp zones and hackneyed "bonus rounds," 6 Golden Coins showcases several stages with hidden exits, these serve as gateways to optional secret levels. To experience the entire game one must find all of these. It isn't an incredibly daunting task. Unfortunately the file select screen doesn't indicate how much of the game world has been explored, as the (seemingly arbitrary) number of stages beaten is displayed rather than a percentage.
The game flows like a "typical" 2D Mario title. There are mushrooms, fire flowers (no more weird bouncy ball), and hearts stand in for 1-ups once again. The spin jump from World is present, though it feels shoehorned into the mix and is a bit awkward to execute (pressing down while jumping). Flying is back, but instead of a leaf or feather Mario can now grab a carrot that grants him bunny ear-wings. It's not proper "flying" per se; instead the power-up grants a sort of extended glide ability. It also arguably breaks the game, as vast stretches of land can be soared over. This brings me to my one possible point of contention. 6 Golden Coins is incredibly easy. Coins no longer grant 1-ups upon a 100-count, but can instead be hoarded and exchanged for massive quantities of extra lives. Stages can be revisited to grab coins and collect items. And an additional item bonus is offered up as every stage concludes, assuming you can ring the easy-to-reach bell that hangs upon the exit sign. I finished my latest and greatest playthrough with a cache of 69 (hehe) lives and I wasn't even tryin'.

Visually, this looks like a bridge between 3 and World. Sprites are nice and big, and plenty of negative space is utilized to make the game playable on an old lightless Game Boy. Enemies are a pleasing mix of old and new foes; humorously the supreme villain of the first Land has now been relegated to a conventional boss. Kazumi Totaka's soundtrack is sweet and chipper, with plenty of nods to the classic NES tunes.

I can't find anything particularly negative to say about this one. It certainly lacks difficulty, and of course can't quite measure up to its home console brethren. But is is, along with Link's Awakening, a "perfect" Game Boy game. Don't skip it. You'll make Wario cry.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

SML2 is a fun time. The physics are still really weird, but the game has a remarkable bit of creativity. I like the bunny ears, too; definitely a fun power-up.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

The level of just how much better Super Mario Land 2 is compared to Super Mario Land one is just phenomenal. It's a really great game, and of the GB titles only gets overshadowed by its sequel. Also, apparently in a super glitched run you eventually cause the game to start rendering its RAM as sprites, which is fascinating, as you literally will navigate through memory and modify it as Mario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5y2SpFWfUo
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, it's a big jump in graphical fidelity, and also plays as well as an NES game (and even implements some SNES stuff). I still hold a soft spot for the first game, however; I like it better than the original SMB in a lot of ways, weirdness be darned.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Games Beaten 2018
1. Letter Quest Remastered Switch eShop
2. Batman NES
3. Little Nemo: The Dream Master NES
4. Mickey's Wild Adventure PS1
5. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. 3DS
6. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy 3DS
7. Nier Automata PS4
8. Legacy of the Wizard NES
9. The Legend of Zelda (starring Zelda) NES
10. Tobu Tobu Girl Game Boy
11. Rhyme Rider Kerorican WSC
12. Sonic Advance 3 GBA
13. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap PS4
14. Super Adventure Island SNES
15. Dynamite Cop DC *NEW*

Dynamite Cop

It’s time for a mini review!

Dynamite Cop is a Dreamcast sequel to the Arcade & Saturn game Die Hard Arcade, which was known as Dynamite Deka in Japan. It is a 3D beat ‘em up, where you can choose one of 3 different characters and one of three different routes through the game to fight through.

Each character has a selection of standard attacks and some unique moves, but the main focus on the game is more about making use of the selection of weapons available across the battlefield. This covers a wide swathe of options, with melee weapons like pipes, chairs and hammers, guns and explosives, and even oddities like frozen tuna and makeshift hairspray flamethrowers available to wield.

Rather than playing like a traditional 2D beat ‘em up where you walk along a continuously scrolling environment taking on enemies, Dynamite Cop instead takes place across a series of small fight arenas with cutscenes in between. These cutscenes feature quick time events where an instruction will flash across the screen – hitting the right button will allow you to keep moving, but failing will cause you to take damage or have to fight additional enemies.

Dynamite Cop is a fun experience, but it’s certainly not a deep one. Even compared to other beat ‘em ups it has a very stripped back feel, and in that way it’s also more of the same when compared to Die Hard Arcade. It’s no mind-blowing experience, but Dynamite Cop is a fun time, and the additional character and multiple routes make this one a bit more replayable than before. Pick it up and give it a go if you find it for a good price, but it’s not a must-own.

Recommend listening:
I can’t lie, I don’t remember the soundtrack of this one very well (I beat it in March… I’m slow at writing these) but here’s a fun track to enjoy anyway:

Click the image below to listen

Last edited by alienjesus on Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Eventually I'll get caught up with these! :oops:

5/27: Atelier Escha & Lodgy: Alchemists of the Dusk Sky (PS3)
There’s not too many series that I consistently enjoy playing, but the Atelier series is definitely one of my favourites. They might not be the most graphically amazing or fully polished of games, but they check all of the right boxes for me. In particular, Atelier Escha & Lodgy is now my favourite game in the series (at least so far).

The game stars two alchemists, Escha & Lodgy, who are assigned various tasks to help out the kingdom that must be completed in a set amount of time. To complete these tasks, they’ll need to manage their time well as they gather for ingredients, defeat monsters, and create various items with alchemy. There are these floating Unexplored Ruins that Escha has always wanted to explore, so creating a blimp that reach them acts as a sort of side goal (and I think is necessary to get the True ending?). Not much else happens in the game’s story other than that until the very end of the game, but I don’t think that’s the main draw for Escha & Lodgy. The main draw I think is the various character interactions between Escha, Lodgy, and the other party members and the alchemy system.

I don’t really want to go into a huge amount of depth into the alchemy system, since it does have a lot of little parts that I’m still not sure how to manipulate well, but two things that have been improved since previous Atelier games (at least since Atelier Meruru since it’s been a while since I’ve played Atelier Ayesha) is (1) the removal of item quality and (2) a new system that replenishes consumables. (1) is just really nice to not have to worry about any more, but (2) is a huge boon. How it works is that Escha and Lodgy each have a limited number of slots to equip various items. Each item takes up a certain number of slots (ranging from 1 to 5), and generally more powerful items take up more space. While you can only take a small number of items with you, if you use all the uses of a certain item, going back to town will replenish everything that you’ve used up! No more spending a huge amount of time just to make a ton of bombs or healing items!

In addition to the alchemy improvements, the battle system has also been improved. Instead of only having a party of three in battles, you can have a party of six with three in the front and three in the back. The backline acts as a sort of reserve, as they can’t do much attacking themselves but can switch with the front line if needed. Party members in the back slowly heal up HP and MP, so it’s useful to switch around party members in a pinch.

Some additional points!
- The music is really great as usual for Gust. There’s even some vocal tracks for a few bosses and cutscenes which I don’t recall other games including. The artist who does the Steins;Gate openings (Itou Kanako) also makes an appearance which I wasn’t expecting.

- The game is definitely not 100% polished in it’s localization. For the most part it’s fine, but I definitely recall some spelling/grammar errors. The most glaring error was a section in which Escha and Lodgy are told that a giant “slug” had appeared in the “slug” ruins, and that they need to deal with the problem. On first glance that seems fine, but keep in mind that there are no slugs in the game. The proper translation should have been “slag”, which is a sort of roboty creature. It’s not game breaking or anything, but it was quite amusing.

- Don’t expect too much of a challenge here, especially if you’ve played previous Atelier games. You’re given plenty of time to complete your tasks (and really only one task per period is required), so really the only way you could fail is if you intentionally tried to. The only portion of the game where I had trouble was the second final boss, which all of the sudden is super difficult compared to everything else. You really need to make sure you’re properly levelled with some good items to beat that one.

So overall Atelier Escha & Lodgy is a great game! Unfortunately, the Atelier series apparently kind of goes downhill from here, but I’m still going to be trying out the others anyway and hope that I enjoy them regardless. I just wish that Gust would take a little bit more time to work on each game since it makes it hard for me to catch up!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 68
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
45. Gundam Breaker 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5
47. Corpse Killer - Sega CD 32X - April 9
48. Corpse Killer - Saturn - April 11*
49. Area 51 - Saturn - April 16*
50. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - Sega CD - April 17
51. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - PlayStation 4 - April 28*

May (6 Games Beaten)
52. Detention - PlayStation 4 - May
53. Guacamelee - Wii U - May 6
54. EDGE - Wii U - May 7
55. RUSH - Wii U - May 9
56. Pokemon Snap - Nintendo 64 - May 27
57. Doom VFR - PS VR - May 27

June (11 Games Beaten)
58. Jurassic Pinball - Switch - June 8
59. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn - Switch - June 9
60. Lost Sphear - Switch - June 11
61. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - Wii - June 12
62. Medal of Honor: Vanguard - Wii - June 14
63. Pokemon Quest - Switch - June 15
64. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 3DS - June 17
65. Art of Balance - Wii U - June 17
67. DmC Devil May Cry - PlayStation 4 - June 19
68. DmC Devil May Cry: Vergil's Downfall - PlayStation 4 - June 19

67. DmC Devil May Cry - PlayStation 4 - June 19
68. DmC Devil May Cry: Vergil's Downfall - PlayStation 4 - June 19

Admitting that you're wrong is hard. Despite that, here I am, about to admit that I was wrong about something. DmC is not a bad game. I've spent years blasting it for making Dante look like an emo bitch - which I still maintain - but the game itself is actually pretty good. It's not great, mind you, and it doesn't hold a candle to the first three Devil May Cry games overall, I gotta give credit where credit is due; Capcom did an okay job with this one and definitely a better job than I had been giving them credit for.

The most important thing to keep in mind about DmC is that it's an alternate universe Devil May Cry; it doesn't tie into the established series in any way except title and character names. The fact that Capcom recently announced Devil May Cry 5 at E3 rather than calling it Devil May Cry 6 sort of reinforces that. Different Dante, different timeline, different tone and style. Dante in this game is a much rougher, more vulgar sort of guy who reminds me a bit of a more serious version of Bender from Futurama. He's crude and a man whore who starts the game totally apathetic to matters that don't concern him directly, but there's a lot of character development for him in this game. His character develops so much, in fact, that he's almost unrecognizable from the Dante at the start of the game. Also his physical design sucks a fat one. Thankfully you have the option of using a model based on the original Devil May Cry's Dante which I used, so aside from a few cut scenes that bizarrely (and jarringly) use the default model no matter what, I didn't have to look at this stupid emo face and his stupid emo haircut.

Aside from Dante's stupid face and stupid haircut, I actually don't mind the characters. Kat and Vergil look fine, and I can dig their personalities (including Dante's) although Vergil got a bit irritating at times. The game's story is fairly straightforward - encounter evil demon boss, remember forgotten childhood, complete short string of events intended to create opening to attack evil demon boss, kill evil demon boss. Pretty standard. There are, of course, some more nuances than that, but that's really the basic of it while avoiding spoilers. Oh, but one hilarious part I can't not mention - they definitely have a news channel in the game based on Fox News, and their Bill O'Reilly lookalike is DEFINITELY a soul devouring demon. That's probably my favorite part of the game to be honest.

While keeping in mind that this is really just an upscaled PS3 game, it looks nice. The fast pace of the combat definitely benefits from the bump to 60 fps that it got when ported to PS4 and Xbox One, and the character models all look good even if they show their 7th gen roots. I didn't encounter any slowdown during my playthrough nor did I find any bugs or crashes, something that's not always a given in games these days. The highlight of the game is definitely the soundtrack. Although it can be a bit hard to appreciate fully with the sounds of gore and carnage, there's a fantastic metal soundtrack that plays when you're fighting. I'm generally a sucker for good metal, but it really fits a game like this where you're killing hordes of demons.

DmC Devil May Cry is definitely the outlier in the Devil May Cry series both in quality and in style, but it's honestly not as bad as I used to think. Yes, whoever was in charge of Dante's character design should be flogged and ridiculed, and yes, the combat gets a bit samey after a while, but I really did a good bit of fun with this game. It's not terribly long - I clocked in around eight hours - but it's got enough meat there to sink your teeth into. It's pretty cheap these days especially if you go for PS3 or 360, and while it's not going to amaze you, it's definitely a fun game.

~~~

Vergil's Downfall is the story DLC for DmC Devil May Cry, and it takes place immediately following the events of the main game. I'm reviewing it separately from the main game because it's set up as a completely separate experience accessible from the main menu rather than in-game. It's standalone in all except actually being able to run independent of having the base game installed. Anyway, this will be brief to avoid spoiling the base game, but you play as Vergil as he comes to grips with the way events unfolded at the end of DmC as well as getting a bit of a peek into his thought process.

Unfortunately given that this is a wholly story driven DLC, the story is...kind of crap. It feels hastily thrown together and is told largely through comic-style frames between levels, a format completely different from the base game. The story is also just kind of hard to follow. It makes sense if you pay attention to the very beginning and the very end, but it feels really separated and haphazard during. Fortunately it's not very long - only a few hours - but you're really not missing anything here. Even if you have the definitive edition that includes this DLC, I'd suggest just skipping it unless you're going for full achievements.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Games Beaten 2018
1. Letter Quest Remastered Switch eShop
2. Batman NES
3. Little Nemo: The Dream Master NES
4. Mickey's Wild Adventure PS1
5. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. 3DS
6. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy 3DS
7. Nier Automata PS4
8. Legacy of the Wizard NES
9. The Legend of Zelda (starring Zelda) NES
10. Tobu Tobu Girl Game Boy
11. Rhyme Rider Kerorican WSC
12. Sonic Advance 3 GBA
13. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap PS4
14. Super Adventure Island SNES
15. Dynamite Cop DC
16. Pokkén Tournament Wii U *NEW*

Pokkén Tournament

Pokkén Tournament is a fighting game for Nintendo Wii U in which you can select from a variety of different pokemon and brawl it out in 1 on 1 battles.

The story of Pokkén, which is utterly forgettable, is that trainers can use some sort of headset to mind link with their pokemon and then fight in real-time as them. There’s also some sort of corrupted Mewtwo called Shadow Mewtwo that is outputting way too much of whatever the type of energy it is that lets people do that, and you have to figure out how to stop this. In the meantime you’re also trying to fight your way through the ranks to get to the top of the heap in the Chroma League, Pokken’s most prestigious tournament.

Basically none of that matters, because what it really means is that you have to do lots of fighting to get to progress. The fighting system in Pokkén is somewhat unique. Battles shift between 2 phases – the field phase, where pokemon can move freely in any direction, and the battle phase, which functions like a traditional fighting game, with the camera shifting to the side and pokemon moving back and forward on a single plane. Dealing a strong hit in either phase will shift pokemon to the other, and some pokemon are better in field phase than battle and vice versa, so managing this system is crucial.

Attacks are somewhat limited – the y button deals projectiles in field mode and weak attacks in battle mode. X is a homing melee attack in field mode – it makes you rush towards the opponent. In battle mode, it’s the strong attack button. Finally, the A button is the special moves button in both modes, although which moves it does vary by pokemon and mode. Different attacks can be utilised with different combinations of the 3 attack buttons and the control stick. You can also jump with B, block with R, deal a counter which has super armour frames with X+A together and grab and throw with Y+B.

As well as those basic attacks, you can bring support pokemon into battle too, which deal specific attacks upon pressing ZR, but require charging over time to use. These aren’t actually too strong, but can be used independently of you own attacks, so they’re good for comboing or breaking guards. Pokemon also have a super meter which, when filled, can be triggered with L+R, making the pokemon stronger and faster whilst it lasts. Pokemon with Mega forms also Mega evolve and that normally comes with a whole new moveset. In super mode, hbitting L+R again will trigger a short range super attack for massive damage, but this ends super mode, meaning it’s normally best to this towards the end of your super guage.

The pokemon playable in Pokken are an interesting selection, although it does unfortunately focus on bipedal pokemon which is a shame, as I think the variety of sizes and shapes in the pokemon series could have made for a very interesting roster. Instead you’ll be using the bipedal Machamp, Garchomp, Charizard, Blaziken, Sceptile, Lucario, Braixen, Gardevoir, Gengar, Weavile and Mewtwo, the smaller Pikachu and Pikachu Libre, a solo quadruped in Suicune, and the most unique fighter of the bunch, Chandelure, the chandelier pokemon, who is who I favoured. Chandelure’s combat is focused around deal damage at range in field mode, whilst inflicted debuffs, before finishing up with his hex move, a mid range throw which deals more damage the more debuffs the opponent has.

Pokken’s combat is fun, but the small movepools of each character can mean that fighting the computer over and over can be tedious – the fun is in how to use your movepool against human opponents. This is an issue, because working through story mode requires fighting dozens upon dozens of computer opponents. In addition, the small roster size in the game means that you’ll often be fighting the same opponents over and over to boot, so there’s a lack of diversity there too. Add in the fact that there’s no special challenges or gimmicks to any match, and the difficulty never differs greatly from start to finish, and the story mode of the game becomes an exercise in tedium.

Pokkén is a fun game, and if you can find someone to play it with, it’s worth playing, even if you’re not that big on the Pokemon franchise. However, as a single player experience it’s just not worth it – it quickly becomes more work than fun. Also, if you want to play it, get the Switch version, as it adds 5 additional characters which helps the roster situation somewhat. One of them is a penguin. This is a well made game, but your mileage on this one will vary depending on how much time you commit to playing with others.

Recommended listening:
Magikarp is a pretty lame pokemon. It flops about uselessly, and is incredibly weak. Look at that screenshot below - if you were to write a music track for a stage themed around this pokemon, what would it be? Something really goofy probably.

It probably wouldn't be your first thought to make some hardcore euro-dance track with a japanese dojo aesthetic, but that's what they went with, and it is awesome

Click the image below to listen