July (6 Games Beaten)
78. Broforce - PlayStation 4 - July 4
79. Just Cause 2 - PlayStation 3 - July 4
80. Barack Fu: The Adventures of Dirty Barry - Switch - July 5
81. Organ Trail - PlayStation 4 - July 5
82. Red Dead Revolver - Xbox - July 7
83. Omega Quintet - PlayStation 4 - July 13

Omega Quintet is another love-it-or-hate-it Compile Heart JRPG that, as anyone who's familiar with Compile Heart's games in the past decade or so can tell you, plays exactly like every other JRPG Compile Heart has made. I, personally, think that's a fantastic thing. It also means, however, that you didn't like one of Idea Factory's and Compile Heart's other recent JRPGs, you probably won't like this one, either, since it's basically the same game with different characters.

So the story of Omega Quintet is pretty familiar for Idea Factory fans. There's this world-threatening evil phenomenon that's spawning seven or eight different monsters each of which have approximately half a dozen palette swaps and destroying human civilization, and only a small group of scantily-clad young girls possess the ability to fight this evil. These "Verse Maidens" have the ability to weaponize their voices...or something...which allows them to slay these monsters and sing the portals spawning them out of existence. Yep, it's exactly as stupid as it sounds, but for the specific type of weeb that loves Idea Factory's shenanigans (read: me), it's gloriously stupid. Leading this group of ladies is their "manager" and the main playable protagonist, Takt. I say playable, but that's only technically true; he's "your" character and who you run around as in your home base, but he isn't usable in dungeons, and he's only usable in battle in a support role, adding an occasional weak bonus attack or taking some of the damage of an enemy attack for your party characters.

The gameplay is your pretty standard modern turn based JRPG. You pick a character to be the "leader" of the group who becomes the character you see while running around, and you explore dungeons to find items, plot flags, and bosses. There are no random encounters instead opting for Idea Factory's recent norm of having contact with monsters in the dungeon start a battle. When you get in the battle, the combat is pretty standard. Rather than having a "your turn/enemy turn" format, the turns are based on each individual character's stats and actions. You get a certain number of action points each turn, and the more of those you use, the longer it will be until your next turn. If you just use one action and then defend, your character's next turn will come a lot sooner than if you used all four of your hypothetical action points to attack. There are some other nuances - using "Harmonize" to have all of your characters attack repeatedly one after another in a giga-combo of death - but that's the basic. You have four basic types of attacks. First if your regular attack that doesn't use any energy. Then you have magic attacks which use special energy and have particular elemental affinities. Third are your "mic" attacks which also use special energy but are based on the type of weapon you have equipped rather than a specific element. Fourth are a kind of special or super attack. These are technically still mic attacks, but in addition to using a large amount of special energy, they also use "Voltage" which can be charged up to 5 points by dealing and taking damage. These aren't attacks you'll use often because of the voltage and energy requirement, but they deal devastating damage when you do use them.

When I mentioned the mic attacks, I mentioned that they were based on what type of weapon you're using. There are six (but really five) types of weapons. The type that I don't really count is the sword because only Takt can use that weapon type, and that's also the only weapon type that Takt can use. The other five types, however, can be used by any of the five girls and can be changed at any time though each weapon has an affinity stat with each girl that can be leveled up by using that weapon type and determines how many action points they get. These five weapon types are the battleaxe, the spear, the sniper rifle, the brass knuckles on steroids, and the fan. Each of these weapons have varying levels of effect based on distance between the character and the enemy.

Your battles are broken down into 8 "levels" with regards to field positions. There are five rows on which enemies can be, and your characters are on three rows. In general, you'll want your longer ranged characters like those with sniper rifles or spears on the back rows, but that's not always the most advantageous place as battles get more complex. Suppose that your enemies are all on the fifth row of the enemy plane causing a serious drop in damage and accuracy for short range characters even if they're on the front row. That would be too much distance to have your sniper on your back row, so in that case, you'd want to move them up front even though that opens them up to more damage. On lower difficulties, this isn't as much of a concern, but it will make or break a fight on higher difficulties. You can tell a certain weapon or attack's ideal range by the color of the enemy field when you have the attack selected and are choosing a target; green indicates the ideal range, blue indicates a good effective range, yellow indicates a sub-optimal range, and red indicates that it's a seriously out of range attack. Even in the red ranges, your attacks will still do damage, but they'll suffer big penalties to accuracy and damage upwards of 25%. Likewise, if your attack is in the green range, it will enjoy a boon to accuracy and damage upwards of 25%.

My biggest problem with the game is the character development. They're almost all ass holes. Seriously, like they're all total jerks to each other. They'll have moments now and then of being cute or sweet, but for like 90% of the game, they're dicks. I'm totally cool with having one or two characters with generally rude personalities, but it's pretty much the entire cast of the game. The only one who's mean a minority of the time is Otoha, and that's mostly because everyone's always being mean to her so she's the target more than the one doing the targeting. It just kind of put a damper on what would otherwise have been a cute harem titty anime game. >_< The game DOES, however, feature a separate set of hit points for your character and your character's clothes, and when those outfit hitpoints reach zero, then you've got a cute anime girl fighting in her underwear. I love this game. :') There's also a music video choreography minigame of sorts, but it didn't seem to have much effect on the core game, so I never really messed with it.

Omega Quintet is a pretty standard Idea Factory/Compile Heart JRPG. Have you played Megadimension Neptunia VII? Then you've pretty much played Omega Quintet. There are a couple of little gimmick differences along with the character and setting differences, but in terms of mechanics and actual gameplay, they're pretty much exactly the same. Idea Factory doesn't really push the envelope far, and its games are pretty niche, but if you're like me and dig that niche, then you already know that this is a great game. My one big complaint is the ending. There's a normal ending and a true ending, and the normal ending is...not really an ending. It's basically "After the final battle, nothing changed, so let's keep killing monsters to protect the city!" That's it. No resolution whatsoever. Other than THAT, though, I had fun. I'm probably being a little more generous with this score than I should be, and I did start to feel a little bit of game fatigue towards the end, but all in all, I really enjoyed Omega Quintet and the few little unique elements it had. I'd recommend it for fans of titty anime games.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21. Deadbolt (Steam)
22. Legend of Grimrock 2 (Steam)
23. The Witness (PS4)
24. Uurnog (PC)
25. Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch)
26. Hyrule Warriors (Wii U)
27. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
28. Magicka 2 (PS4)*
29. Tales of Phantasia (PSP)
30. BOXBOXBOY! (3DS)
31. Blossom Tales (Switch)
32. Wolfenstein: The Old Blood (Steam)
33. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn (PS4)

34. Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius: Forever With Me (PSP)

I LOVE Parodius a LOT. It's one of the first games I ever imported for my SNES after seeing Let's Plays of it like 9 years ago. When I went to Japan back in 2013 I was so excited to have found the Parodius Portable collection on PSP so I'd have all of them in one place (mind you the Arcade versions and not the SFC/Saturn versions I'm more familiar with)! But it took me until now (in traditional me-fashion :lol: ) to finally get around to messing around with that version. I took an hour and played through Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius this morning, which apparently has a subtitle for ports not the SFC version :P .

It's still same old Parodius (parody of Gradius) in all its glory and then some. It's a damn solid shooting game that's like Gradius but with a more fun theme and a more fair difficulty/design. I still think this is an awesome game just like I used to, so this review will focus mostly around differences I noticed between this "original" of sorts and the SFC port I'm more familiar with.

First of all, something I also noticed in the arcade version of Gokujou Parodius on this collection, that the song in the first stage is totally different. Past that you obviously have better music quality, but also some just brand new/changed content. There's a decent portion of just general visual improvements/flair added compared to the SFC version, as to be expected, as well as some minor graphical changes to certain bosses. Some bosses also have attacks they didn't have previously (like the giant girl at the end of stage 2 having a large bullet after-effect to her hair-flip attack). As well as the boss-rush in stage-7 no longer being an assortment of random bosses, but it's a series of bosses with almost identical attack patterns based off of the game Shinme! Taisen Pazurudama (some Konami puzzle game I'd never heard of), where previously there was just one boss in the SFC version based on it (who is in this version, but he's a totally different boss fight) as the boss of level 6. The last big change is that the boss actually at the end of stage 6 is the third in the kitty-cat vehicle bosses from the previous two games (pirate ship and then submarine) as Kitty Cat Subway Train! He's a tough cookie too! Xp

Edit: I nearly forgot the mention! The Lethal Enforcers level that proceeds the Kitty Cat Subway Train actually has the two Lethal Enforcers' guns shooting at you while you fly though it! It makes a hard level WAY harder, I'll tell ya that much for free :lol:

It's pretty nice emulation, but some weird slowdown is still present when the screen gets really crazy. It's really accelerated slowdown as well. You'll be doing fine and then BOOM super slow and then BOOM back up to normal speed. It makes the game harder if anything though XP

Verdict: Highly Recommended. If you love Parodius and don't mind using a PSP, this is a great way to have the original 5 game's original versions all in one portable package~. It's not the PSN store in any region, though, so a physical UMD is unfortunately the only way to go. It's be really awesome if Paro Wars was in here too to round out the whole series, but you can't have everything I suppose :P
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
23. Arcade Archives: Ninja-Kid (Switch eShop)
24. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
25. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom (Switch eShop)
26. Front Line (Atari 2600)
27. Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
29. Exerion (Famicom)
30. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes (Switch eShop)
31. Arcade Archives: Double Dragon (Switch eShop)
32. ACA NeoGeo: Ninja Combat (Switch eShop)
33. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Wizard Fire (Switch eShop)
34. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Game Boy)
35. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
36. Grand Master (Famicom)
Following the runaway success of Zelda and Ys came a flood of Japanese ARPGs. Most, unsurprisingly, remained in their native land. One such obscurity was known as Grand Master. Developed by Soft Machine (who?) and developed by Varie (what?) the game is a true lone wolf. No ports, sequels, or remakes. The original Famicom cartridge is rather expensive (for Famicom standards, I paid like $30). Though those who choose to emulate will discover that a rather competent English patch is available. That said, the game is perfectly playable without said patch, though non-Japanese speakers would be missing out on the story.
Yes, Grand Master is a very story-driven title, with the narrative unfolding via a series of delightfully illustrated anime cutscenes, not unlike those of Ninja Gaiden. The tale details the exploits of Rody, a bodyguard to a royal family, who is tasked with defeating the evil demonic Dante and rescuing a princess. Oh, and Rody's sister has been placed under some sinister spell and must be nurtured back to health. Their are some minor characters that float in and out as well. It's all pretty generic stuff, but the frequent cutscenes look gorgeous and never overstay their welcome.

This is a "stage-based" ARPG, vaguely similar to HAL's Alcahest, released two years after Grand Master. The gimmick here is that the initial five stages can be completed in any order. Once Rody has bested these environments, the Evil Tower of Doom™ rises from the depths and the final confrontation commences. In conjunction with the aforementioned nonlinearity, the game attempts the "multiple endings" thing but does so poorly. Any road traveled besides the one "correct" path will invariably lead to a bad ending. One that emerges not after the final boss is defeated, but instead pops up halfway through the final dungeon -- "lol you messed up, Game Over!" Though the game does hint at where to go and when, it's still a total bummer.
The five core stages are pretty fun. The environments are well-designed, grid-based (like Zelda), and worth exploring thoroughly. Each area is rife with enemies, weapon and armor upgrades, and insta-heal potions. There are some additional gimmicks too, including both one-way and two-way warps, waterfalls, conveyor belts, spiked sections, and pitfalls. Stages are locked once completed, so it's essential that "missable" upgrades get picked up. The graphical presentation is solid, with each area appearing distinct and memorable. As a semi-late Famicom release, Grand Master boasts some nice chunky sprite work; at times the visuals come close to those of A Link to the Past. As an additional bonus, Rody himself is dressed for whatever occasion presents himself. For instance, in the ice cave he's donned with a winter parka! The accompanying soundtrack is competent enough, if not particularly memorable, with the most striking piece being the pseudo-Egyptian theme that plays throughout the Pyramid segment.
Generally speaking, these first five stages each take 10-20 minutes to complete. Difficulty is skewed in a strange direction, however, due to the unnecessary leveling system. Since these sections can be tackled in any order, they were crafted with the same static difficulty in mind. Which means that whatever stage is selected first is going to be the hardest. Due to the enemy respawns, power-leveling comes rather effortlessly, though it is time-consuming. I found it easy enough to max out Rody's HP and MP in the first stage, which made the remaining an absolute cakewalk. Well, except for that final boss tower, which is way too long and confusing, filled to the brim with lengthy boring ass walkways and inane glitchy "puzzles." Strangely enough, leveling up doesn't seem to effect offensive or defensive prowess in any meaningful way, instead more HP and MP is simply lobbed onto Rody's total.

Combat works well enough. Rody begins with a basic sword, but can then switch to any acquired weapon at will. There's a long-range morning star that can also be used to cross pitfalls, a throwing axe, and a magical rod. Magic isn't its "own thing" but is instead inextricably tied to weaponry. Tossing an axe deducts one magic point from Rody's total, while using the eight-way magical rod attack consumes an enormous chunk. The morning star is sufficient for about 90% of the game, due to its massive attack range, while all bosses (including the final one) are utterly helpless in the face of the rod attack.
I'm on the fence about this one. It's a weird amalgamation of elements that feel finely-tuned and cohesive, and those that are just superfluous trash. It's a short little ditty of a game, one designed to be taken down during a single rainy afternoon, but the Darm Tower wannabe final dungeon seemingly slows time to a halt. It's a tale of high highs and low lows, and it's a shame that Soft Machine never had another go at the ARPG genre.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
23. Arcade Archives: Ninja-Kid (Switch eShop)
24. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
25. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom (Switch eShop)
26. Front Line (Atari 2600)
27. Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
29. Exerion (Famicom)
30. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes (Switch eShop)
31. Arcade Archives: Double Dragon (Switch eShop)
32. ACA NeoGeo: Ninja Combat (Switch eShop)
33. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Wizard Fire (Switch eShop)
34. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Game Boy)
35. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
36. Grand Master (Famicom)
Following the runaway success of Zelda and Ys came a flood of Japanese ARPGs. Most, unsurprisingly, remained in their native land. One such obscurity was known as Grand Master. Developed by Soft Machine (who?) and developed by Varie (what?) the game is a true lone wolf. No ports, sequels, or remakes. The original Famicom cartridge is rather expensive (for Famicom standards, I paid like $30). Though those who choose to emulate will discover that a rather competent English patch is available. That said, the game is perfectly playable without said patch, though non-Japanese speakers would be missing out on the story.
Yes, Grand Master is a very story-driven title, with the narrative unfolding via a series of delightfully illustrated anime cutscenes, not unlike those of Ninja Gaiden. The tale details the exploits of Rody, a bodyguard to a royal family, who is tasked with defeating the evil demonic Dante and rescuing a princess. Oh, and Rody's sister has been placed under some sinister spell and must be nurtured back to health. Their are some minor characters that float in and out as well. It's all pretty generic stuff, but the frequent cutscenes look gorgeous and never overstay their welcome.

This is a "stage-based" ARPG, vaguely similar to HAL's Alcahest, released two years after Grand Master. The gimmick here is that the initial five stages can be completed in any order. Once Rody has bested these environments, the Evil Tower of Doom™ rises from the depths and the final confrontation commences. In conjunction with the aforementioned nonlinearity, the game attempts the "multiple endings" thing but does so poorly. Any road traveled besides the one "correct" path will invariably lead to a bad ending. One that emerges not after the final boss is defeated, but instead pops up halfway through the final dungeon -- "lol you messed up, Game Over!" Though the game does hint at where to go and when, it's still a total bummer.
The five core stages are pretty fun. The environments are well-designed, grid-based (like Zelda), and worth exploring thoroughly. Each area is rife with enemies, weapon and armor upgrades, and insta-heal potions. There are some additional gimmicks too, including both one-way and two-way warps, waterfalls, conveyor belts, spiked sections, and pitfalls. Stages are locked once completed, so it's essential that "missable" upgrades get picked up. The graphical presentation is solid, with each area appearing distinct and memorable. As a semi-late Famicom release, Grand Master boasts some nice chunky sprite work; at times the visuals come close to those of A Link to the Past. As an additional bonus, Rody himself is dressed for whatever occasion presents himself. For instance, in the ice cave he's donned with a winter parka! The accompanying soundtrack is competent enough, if not particularly memorable, with the most striking piece being the pseudo-Egyptian theme that plays throughout the Pyramid segment.
Generally speaking, these first five stages each take 10-20 minutes to complete. Difficulty is skewed in a strange direction, however, due to the unnecessary leveling system. Since these sections can be tackled in any order, they were crafted with the same static difficulty in mind. Which means that whatever stage is selected first is going to be the hardest. Due to the enemy respawns, power-leveling comes rather effortlessly, though it is time-consuming. I found it easy enough to max out Rody's HP and MP in the first stage, which made the remaining an absolute cakewalk. Well, except for that final boss tower, which is way too long and confusing, filled to the brim with lengthy boring ass walkways and inane glitchy "puzzles." Strangely enough, leveling up doesn't seem to effect offensive or defensive prowess in any meaningful way, instead more HP and MP is simply lobbed onto Rody's total.

Combat works well enough. Rody begins with a basic sword, but can then switch to any acquired weapon at will. There's a long-range morning star that can also be used to cross pitfalls, a throwing axe, and a magical rod. Magic isn't its "own thing" but is instead inextricably tied to weaponry. Tossing an axe deducts one magic point from Rody's total, while using the eight-way magical rod attack consumes an enormous chunk. The morning star is sufficient for about 90% of the game, due to its massive attack range, while all bosses (including the final one) are utterly helpless in the face of the rod attack.
I'm on the fence about this one. It's a weird amalgamation of elements that feel finely-tuned and cohesive, and those that are just superfluous trash. It's a short little ditty of a game, one designed to be taken down during a single rainy afternoon, but the Darm Tower wannabe final dungeon seemingly slows time to a halt. It's a tale of high highs and low lows, and it's a shame that Soft Machine never had another go at the ARPG genre.

Awesome review, Bone! I’ve never heard of that game before, and I’ll have to try it out sometime. :wink:
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2018
The first 50:
Darkwing Duck - NES (PS4)
DuckTales - NES (PS4)
DuckTales 2 - NES (PS4)
Talespin - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES (PS4)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
The Heart of Dark - PS1 (Vita)
Justice - PS1 (Vita)
Caligo - PC
Tomb Raider (2013) - X1
Nephise Begins - PC
Diablo III: The Darkening of Tristam - PC
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - X1
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES
Forza Horizon 3 - X1/ PC
Elbub - PC
Tekken 4 -PS2
Injustice 2 -PS4
Apollo 11 VR - PSVR
Star Wars Battlefront II -PS4
Unearthing Mars - PSVR
Jenny of the Prairie - C64
Part Time UFO - iOS
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite - PS4
War of the Monsters -PS2
Far Cry 5 - PS4
Uncharted: Lost Legacy - PS4
Soul Calibur 2 - GCN
God of War (2018) - PS4 *new*
Orcs and Elves - NDS
Tekken 7 - PS4
House of the Dead 4 Special - PS3
S.A.R. (Search and Rescue) - PS3
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR - PSVR
Time Crisis: Razing Storm - PS3
Time Crisis IV - PS3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - PS4
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou - 360
Ketsui Kizuna Shigokutachi Extra - PS3
Bad Dudes - Arcade (Wii)
Crude Buster - Arcade (Wii)
Wizard Fire - Arcade (Wii)
Heavy Barrel - Arcade (Wii)
The Bouncer - PS2
Thor: God of Thunder - NDS
Destiny 2: Warmind - PS4
King Oddball - PS4
High Hell - PC
Postal Redux - PC

Super Night Riders - PC
Slap City - PC
Ultraflow - iOS *new*
Grim Dawn - PC *new*

Total: 54

Previously: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

Ultraflow is a fun puzzle game that uses touch controls well. A worthwhile diversion.

I try to play a Diablo-style game or two every year, and so I was glad to finally play through Grim Dawn. It offers more customization than I really felt I needed (I ended up racking up a lot of cash for selling a ton of items), but the basic gameplay is fun and I had to be a little creative/careful with some of the enemies in the last act. Overall I liked it almost as much as I liked The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing: Final Cut, but not as much as I liked Torchwood 2.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 50
1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
5. Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
6. Zenge (iOS)
7. Master of Darkness (Game Gear/3DS)
8. Wonder Boy (SMS)
9. Full Throttle Remastered (iOS)
10. Adventure Island (NES)
11. Adventure Island II (NES)
12. Adventure Island (GB)
13. Super Adventure Island (SNES)
14. New Adventure Island (TG16)
15. Adventure Island III (NES)
16. The Legend of the Ghost Lion (NES)
17. Part Time UFO (iOS)
18. Adventure Island II: Aliens in Paradise (GB)
19. Adventure Island IV (NES)
20. Super Adventure Island II (SNES)
21. Adventure Island: The Beginning (WII)
22. Quell Memento (3DS)
23. Wonder Boy in Monster Land (ARCADE)
24. Saiyuuki World (FAMICOM)
25. Whomp ‘Em (NES)
26. Bikkuriman World (TG16)
27. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (TG16)
28. Go Series: Picdun (DS)
29. The Keep (3DS)
30. Dooors (3DS)
31. Ninja Gaiden (ARCADE)
32. Advance Guardian Heroes (GBA)
33. TMNT (GBA)
34. Double Dragon Advance (GBA)
35. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
36. Double Dragon II (ARCADE)
37. Kung Fu Master (GB)
38. Cube Escape: The Lake (iOS)
39. Cube Escape: Seasons (iOS)
40. Cube Escape: Arles (iOS)
41 . Cube Escape: Harvey’s Box (iOS)
42. Cube Escape: Case 23 (iOS)
43. Cube Escape: The Mill (iOS)
44. Rusty Lake Hotel (iOS)
45. Cube Escape: Birthday (iOS)
46. Cube Escape: The Theatre (iOS)
47. Rusty Lake Roots (iOS)
48. Cube Escape: The Cave (iOS)
49. Rusty Lake Paradise (iOS)
50. Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (ARCADE)

51. Knightmare Tower (iOS)

More vacation gaming!

Knightmare Tower (iOS) Is pretty much a perfect iOS game. In it, you play as a knight who, to rescue ten princesses, must fly to the top of an impossibly tall tower. You start by launching yourself off a rocket, and you gain speed by defeating monsters as you fly up the tower. Air friction slows you down, and if you don’t keep up your speed, you are engulfed by rapidly-rising lava. Also, the monsters attack you, and you may also be defeated if you lose all of your life. (The controls are incredibly simple, and it is a bit like Downwell...but in reverse...and fun.) You earn gold on each run that you can use to upgrade your character permanently, and rescuing each of the ten princesses yields a new type of power up. There isn’t much too too it - once you are fully upgraded, you can beat the game in three and a half minutes - but what’s there is pretty great and polished to a shine. (It will also take you quite a few runs before you earn enough to buy all of the upgrades.) I enjoyed it tremendously, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a solid, addictive game that is much more fun than it deserves to be.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 84
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
45. Gundam Breaker 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5
47. Corpse Killer - Sega CD 32X - April 9
48. Corpse Killer - Saturn - April 11*
49. Area 51 - Saturn - April 16*
50. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - Sega CD - April 17
51. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - PlayStation 4 - April 28*

May (6 Games Beaten)
52. Detention - PlayStation 4 - May
53. Guacamelee - Wii U - May 6
54. EDGE - Wii U - May 7
55. RUSH - Wii U - May 9
56. Pokemon Snap - Nintendo 64 - May 27
57. Doom VFR - PS VR - May 27

June (20 Games Beaten)
58. Jurassic Pinball - Switch - June 8
59. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn - Switch - June 9
60. Lost Sphear - Switch - June 11
61. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - Wii - June 12
62. Medal of Honor: Vanguard - Wii - June 14
63. Pokemon Quest - Switch - June 15
64. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 3DS - June 17
65. Art of Balance - Wii U - June 17
66. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch - June 18
67. DmC Devil May Cry - PlayStation 4 - June 19
68. DmC Devil May Cry: Vergil's Downfall - PlayStation 4 - June 19
69. Assassin's Creed Rogue - PlayStation 3 - June 20
70. Assassin's Creed Unity - Xbox One - June 21
71. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China - Xbox One - June 22
72. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India - Xbox One - June 23
73. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia - Xbox One - June 24
74. New Gundam Breaker - PlayStation 4 - June 24
75. Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard - PlayStation 3 - June 25
76. Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Xbox One - June 29
77. Ride to Hell: Retribution - Xbox 360 - June 30

July (7 Games Beaten)
78. Broforce - PlayStation 4 - July 4
79. Just Cause 2 - PlayStation 3 - July 4
80. Barack Fu: The Adventures of Dirty Barry - Switch - July 5
81. Organ Trail - PlayStation 4 - July 5
82. Red Dead Revolver - Xbox - July 7
84. Super Mario Sunshine - Gamecube - July 16

84. Super Mario Sunshine - Gamecube - July 16

Super Mario Sunshine is, for me, for the Mario IP what Majora's Mask is for Zelda. It's that one game in the series that it seems like most people love but that I just detest. I've got a couple of friends who also didn't enjoy Sunshine, but the general consensus seems to be that this game is fantastic, and I just don't see it.

My most immediate issue with Super Mario Sunshine is that it just feels awkward. Like, maybe it shouldn't, but so many things about this game make me just uncomfortable. Mario's short sleeves. Peach in a short sleeve dress. The fact that Peach, Toadsworth, Bowser, and Bowser Jr all have fully voice acted dialogue. Like, maybe I'm just a crotchety old man who's stuck in his ways, but that stuff just made my skin crawl. The game's mechanics themselves and the setting aren't bad, but the whole thing just felt a little off, and I think that mostly stems from FLUDD. It was a cool gimmick for a while, but it started to feel like it took the emphasis off of the platforming somewhat to focus on that gimmick.

When I think of a Mario game, I think of a platformer that has interesting power-ups that, while extremely helpful, are all completely unnecessary to complete the level. Sure, some level specific gimmicks are great, but that's a level built around a gimmick; the game itself remains pure platforming. Sunshine seemed to replace some of the platforming with the FLUDD gimmick, and nothing highlights that better in my opinion than the complete lack of power-ups. Sure, you can swap between a hover, rocket, and boost nozzle for FLUDD, but those didn't even come close to feeling like actual power-ups. A lot of the levels also felt more like the focus was "squirt this thing with water until this one thing happens" rather than "do this platforming." There are some totally straight up platforming levels, and I loved those even though they got really tough, but most of the game just felt like it had lost its identity.

The game does, at least, look absolutely stunning. It's obvious that they were showing off the Gamecube's hardware prowess with Sunshine because this game looks better than some PS3 and 360 games I've played if you take into account the difference in resolution. The presentation is bright and color, aspects that are core to Mario's identity, and the soundtrack is absolutely fantastic. It's just a shame that the game mechanics fell short of the audio and visual performances. Well, the voice acting was also a major negative mark for me because was just creepy and uncomfortable, but that's much more subjective an assessment for me.

I really tried to like Super Mario Sunshine. I played it years ago and hated it, so I let some time pass before trying it again because I really WANTED to like it. I wanted to say "Wow, I was crazy years ago! This game is great!" But it's not. It's definitely not a bad game, but with a pedigree like Super Mario, this isn't up to par. The gimmick takes emphasis away from the platforming, Mario's controls feel less responsive and tight than both past and previous titles, and the bizarre choice to have every major character minus Mario himself fully voice acted with dialogue just comes off as awkward. I think it's a game that every dedicated Nintendo gamer has an obligation to play at least once, but I'd be lying if I said I enjoyed it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Super Mario Sunshine is, for me, for the Mario IP what Majora's Mask is for Zelda. It's that one game in the series that it seems like most people love but that I just detest. I've got a couple of friends who also didn't enjoy Sunshine, but the general consensus seems to be that this game is fantastic, and I just don't see it.

Nah, people have always hated those games, along with Wind Waker. It's just that over time, people like me who bitch about most of the other games in those series have worn down Nintendo fans who will basically support anything in deference to the brand. There are people who really like those three games--I happen to be one of them--but it's a relatively vocal minority, and always has been.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:My most immediate issue with Super Mario Sunshine is that it just feels awkward. Like, maybe it shouldn't, but so many things about this game make me just uncomfortable. Mario's short sleeves. Peach in a short sleeve dress. The fact that Peach, Toadsworth, Bowser, and Bowser Jr all have fully voice acted dialogue. Like, maybe I'm just a crotchety old man who's stuck in his ways, but that stuff just made my skin crawl.

That does seem like kind of an odd criticism. The voices made so little impact on me, I don't even remember them. Aren't there characters other than Mario voiced in Galaxy, though? Mario 64 opens the game with voices for Mario and Peach--. (In the English version, anyway.)

ElkinFencer10 wrote:The game's mechanics themselves and the setting aren't bad, but the whole thing just felt a little off, and I think that mostly stems from FLUDD. It was a cool gimmick for a while, but it started to feel like it took the emphasis off of the platforming somewhat to focus on that gimmick.

I find Mario games to be too boring without gimmicks like FLUDD, personally. I've never cared for the Mario brand of platforming (it never feels good to me). So having FLUDD to gloss over my typical issues makes stages actually feel fun to me. Not to mention the real variety of gameplay it affords the whole game.

ElkinFencer10 wrote:I really tried to like Super Mario Sunshine. I played it years ago and hated it, so I let some time pass before trying it again because I really WANTED to like it. I wanted to say "Wow, I was crazy years ago! This game is great!" But it's not.

Not really a surprise, but oh well. I guess you're just a normal person, Elkin.
elricorico
32-bit

Post by elricorico »

1. Captain Toad Treasure Tracker (WiiU)
2. Minecraft (Xbox360)
3. Phantasy Star (SMS)

4. Theatrhythm Final Fantasy Curtain Call (3DS)

I've been playing this a half hour at a time for a few weeks. I'm a fan of rhythm games and I have a lot of nostalgia for the music of Final Fantasy (at least the first 10 games or so). Seems like a match made in heaven. You pick a team of four characters from the series and just start playing through songs to score points. Some songs are structured as battles, some are structured as travel, and a few play over a background of scenes from the original game. I feel that overall this could work as a phone or tablet game just about as well as it works on the 3DS.

I must say that I enjoy a lot about this game: there is a vast selection of music to choose from, a lot of characters to unlock, collectables to gather and quests of varying difficulties to play through. I have one glaring dislike, and that is the art style. The overly simple looking characters and enemies are really not my cup of tea. There could be so many better styles to choose from that I could have enjoyed, but what they did choose just plain annoyed me.

After enough playing you reach a score threshold which leads you to a "final boss" type stage. Beating that unlocks a special character and rolls the games credits. There isn't really a story here, but the game really doesn't need it.

This is a fun game, and I keep going back to play a stage or three as there are still plenty of unlockable and collectables. The music brings back fond memories and the gameplay is good enough to get me past the lame art style.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
*6. Pikmin (GCN)*
*7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)*
8. Shining Force II (GEN)
*9. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (PS1)*
*10. Mafia (XBOX)*
11. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GCN)
12. ChuChu Rocket! (SDC)
*13. Super Metroid (SNES)*
14. Final Fantasy II (NES)
15. Devil May Cry (PS2)
16. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (GEN)
17. Secret of Evermore (SNES)
18. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (PS2)
19. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GCN)
*20. Paper Mario (N64)*
21. Grandia II (SDC)

22. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PS2)

I beat Ghostbusters: The Video Game on the Sony Playstation 2 this evening!

A very good friend of mine is a huge fan of the Ghostbusters movies. He has seen them countless times, owns all the video games and even owns a Ghostbusters Pinball machine. Several years ago, he got the PS2 version of the game that came out in 2008. Well, a few years went by, he eventually got a Wii and the Wii version of the game as well. With no need to own the PS2 version of the game, he offered to sell it to me and so I bought. The game then sat on my shelf for several more years until I finally decided to play it this year.

Personally, I enjoyed the Ghostbusters movie, but I have only seen them a few times. The games were terrible and I didn't have much of a fandom for them. So, I didn't have much expectations going into the game though I did hear that the game is basically the third movie. With that in mind, the voice acting is really good. Winston, I think, puts in the best performance compared to the others as Peter just sounds tired. Ray and Egon get most of the lines, which makes sense as they wrote the entire game. The story is good, but it retreads old ground way too often. The first half of the game is going through areas from the first two movies. It's great fighting the Marshmallow Man, but it has been done. The combat feels right as it is the first Ghostbusters game to really nail using a Proton Pack.

However, the combat gets really old, especially in the late game when you are swarmed with enemies. Your pack always overheats and it is very hard to find the enemy you want when it is too crowded. The mini-game of smashing the ghost is fun at first, but that also gets old. However, that is nothing compared to the glitches and bugs throughout the entire game. At least 10 times, the game would randomly freeze and I would have to reset. This happened during cutscenes and action scenes and end of chapters when I got to redo the entire chapter. Your friends have some help, but they are mostly useless.

Overall, for an eight hour game, Ghostbusters The Video Game is about two hours too long. The last part of the game becomes too much for the combat and the amount of collecting and backtracking really just pads the experience. I know that we would have never gotten a movie, but I wish they did. This feels like a too long of a movie and a padded game. It's not bad, but it does fall apart too much at the end.