Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Injustice 2's Ultimate Edition finally went on sale on the PSN for a reasonable price (about $30), and as has been the case with the more recent MK releases, I am more interested in this game for the add on characters (Hellboy and TMNT!) than the DC roster of dark, brooding, and grumpy super heroes who I don't care about. I played through the story, but I skipped all the cut scenes after the first few.

did you play as the Turtles? I have been interested in Injustice 2 (liked the first a lot), but got way more interested when TMNT were announced.

Just a little. Initial thoughts: Totally Rad!
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

55. Miles and Kilo

Miles and Kilo was a fantastic suprise, and has everything you would want from a retro game.

The game starts out with miles and his dog, kilo, crash landing on an island filled with creepy bad guys. Each bad guy steals a part to their plane and they go on a quest to recover their lost parts, put the plane back together and get off this island.

The game is divided into 5 worlds, each world has 7 levels, the last of which is a boss fight, the worlds are standard fare and range from the usual platform levels such as ice, fire, jungle, desert, etc. The graphics and sound in this game are great, the graphics are done in an 8 bit style, but the game definitely looks brigther, more colorful, and more detailed than anything that you would see on the nes.

Gameplay is broken down into 2 basic segments. Standard platforming levels and endless runner levels. Both levels are extremely fun to play and offer a wide variety of challenges. Control in this game is spot on and it has a great difficulyt curve. The first few levels are very easy and the game slowly ramps up until the end which is difficult, without being frustrating. Expect to die, but you will learn from your deaths and do better with each attempt. Boss battles are done in a runner style that also has you dodging attacks and trying to find the right moment to smack the boss. The bosses are all really fun to fight and each present their own unique challenges.

The levels are short, most of them can be completed in 20-40 seconds but that is assuming you are not dying and you run through them. I finished the game in 100 minutes, your mileage may vary but it likely wont take you too much longer for your initial run. The game also presents time attack mode and ranked levels which you can replay for achievements if you are into that sort of thing.

This is one of the most charming games I have played in a long time, everything in this game is just so cute, especially kilo, and kept a huge smile on my face throughout the whole adventure. If you are looking for a fun retro themed game with a nice challenge and addiciting gameplay this is definitely a worthy purchase
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC

Death Knights of Krynn picks up a year after the first game, with the appearance of a villain that was mentioned as the potential bigger bad at the end of Champions of Krynn. And then, at the end of this game, they tell you who the big bad of the next game is going to be. So this was very clearly planned out to be a trilogy from the start. The basic plot is that Lord Soth is raising knights to be Death Knights, which are complete assholes of an enemy. Very high magic resistance (which means they can randomly blank spells), the ability to frighten a party member and an inherent Delayed Blast Fireball they can cast as part of their overall turn. You need to stop him, following a few clues along the way to figure out how to end him permanently.

While Champions of Krynn was almost completely linear, Death Knights gives you some freedom of movement, in that there are several unnecessary side areas you can do for experience and presumably treasure, and you can apparently do some areas out of order. The actual main story beats are still completely linear, though. Go to town A, do quest, go to town B, do quest, etc. As a result of these two items, the narrative isn't as strong. It's the general issue of a tight plot vs. an open plot; you need to account some way for players doing things differently than you expected.

In terms of power curve, at the end you'll have access to level 8 magic user spells and a couple casts of Delayed Blast Fireball. This is about the top end of what is still fun D&D, and we'll see how things go with Dark Queen. Like the previous game, this game has a lot of enemies that are a pain to fight. In this case, instead of draconians you are beset by hordes of undead that resist edged weapons, require magic weapons to hit, are immune to fire, and can't be turned by your cleric. If I had been planning ahead I would have kept some magical blunt weapons for my fighters. Still, at least it mostly just makes the fights longer than they should be. And the Death Knights ended up being used a little less than the Auruk draconians from the first game. The last fight is a definite doozy, and requires a Haste spell and you getting lucky with turn order and resistances to land a Delayed Blast Fireball or two on the enemies to whittle them down before they wipe you.

On to the last Gold Box game I own!
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 30
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (14 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24

Having finished the Game Boy Color Army Men games (except for the spin-off, Portal Runner), I decided to move on to the Game Boy Advance games beginning with Army Men Advance. I've got a lot of mixed feelings about this game. On the one hand, it's probably the best of the handheld games I've played thus far from an objective point of view. On the other hand, it's probably the entry most likely to upset fans of the series. It's a mixed bag, for sure.

ImageImage

The basics of the story is that in order to foil a Tan plan to take over both the plastic world and the human world, you must allow yourself to be captured by the Tan and then break out of a prison camp in their base. You can play as either Sergeant Hawk or Vikki Grimm, but the levels are exactly the same; the difference is little more than a costume. Throughout the course of the game, you end up having to rescue a few of Sarge's commandos, fight aliens, and kill a mole. Not like a spy, like a literal yard rodent. It's...weird. I'm not sure I'd say it's bad, per se, but it's definitely weird​.

ImageImage

Mechanically, it's definitely the best of the five handheld Army Men games that I've played. Movement is fluid, aiming to attack is never difficult, and I never got stuck on invisible corners of objects. I almost never experienced any slowdown, and the difficulty was pretty fairly balanced. Unfortunately, the aesthetic of the game is just...odd. It doesn't look or feel like an Army Men game. The series has never been known or realistic or mature visuals, but this game just feels overly juvenile and cartoon-y. Character sprites are big, the faces are just goofy, and that mole...that mole looks like something out of one of these low-budget-looking (but bizarrely fairly well funded) cartoons that Cartoon Network is putting out these days. It's not what folks who are used to fighting villains like Major Mylar, General Plastro, and Dr. Madd would expect. Again, it's not bad, for this to be the look of the first Game Boy Advance game in the series doesn't make the best first impression.

ImageImage

The game spans 12 levels - 11 plus a final boss - and there's a good variety of locales across those levels to keep things from getting stale. The music is almost non-existent. There's no background music during the levels, and the only sound effects are gunshots, Tan death screams, and the occasional explosion. It's disappointing that the earliest of the Game Boy Color games had a decent array of digitized voice lines, but the earliest of the Game Boy Advance games can't even be bothered with background music.

ImageImage

Army Men Advance is very much a mixed bag. Folks unfamiliar with the Army Men series or neutral to it would probably think this was a decent albeit mediocre game. Serious fans of the series, however, will likely think it feels odd and out of place. It's fun for a casual playthrough, but it doesn't capture the feel or style of the PC or PS1/N64 Army Men games at all, and that style far more than the gameplay is what attracts me to the Army Men series. It's not that expensive last I checked, so pick it up if you're a fan of the system or the series, but as with the other handheld entries, don't bother if you're not.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1. Tyranny (PC)
2. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)
3. SUPERHOT (PC)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)*
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
6. Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)
7. Nine Parchments (Switch)
8. X-com: UFO Defense (PC)
9. Chocobo Racing (PS1)
10. Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak (GBA)

11. Pony Island (Steam)

Pony Island is a neat little game. It's party interactive adventure game, part simple action game, and part puzzle game. It all comes together to tell a very odd story about a haunted arcade machine that's really not like anything else I've played. It's short, at only a couple hours, but it's just right at that length. It's certainly not Journey or Brothers, but it goes on sale on Steam often enough that you can easily get it for a buck fifty like I did and not feel like you've wasted your money.

Verdict: Recommended. It's a neat little game that you can get for pretty cheap. It's not for everyone, but it's short enough and often cheap enough that it's an easy thing to recommend just to try out.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2018

Darkwing Duck - NES (PS4)
DuckTales - NES (PS4)
DuckTales 2 - NES (PS4)
Talespin - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES (PS4)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
The Heart of Dark - PS1 (Vita)
Justice - PS1 (Vita)
Caligo - PC
Tomb Raider (2013) - X1
Nephise Begins - PC
Diablo III: The Darkening of Tristam - PC
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - X1
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES
Forza Horizon 3 - X1/ PC
Elbub - PC
Tekken 4 -PS2
Injustice 2 -PS4 *new*
Apollo 11 VR - PSVR
Star Wars Battlefront II -PS4 *new*

Total: 21

Previously: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

I played through Star Wars Battlefront II's campaign and...it's fine. It isn't bad, isn't great, but features a lot of fun Star Wars fan-service and some really pretty graphics. The world of Star Wars has never looked better in video games, and if you like ship-to-ship combat there's a very healthy amount of it here. In fact, it is fair to say that one of the game's strengths is its ability to function as a space dogfight game, a third person brawler, and a first person shooter all at different points across the campaign...and to do each one pretty damn well.

The meat of this game is supposed to be the multiplayer, so I may at least give the additional modes a shot at some point in the near future. I know that the game got some bad press about its in-game economy, but FWIW it was possible to enjoy the campaign without ever knowing said economy exists. As someone who typically plays FPS just for the campaign, I feel I can that this one is decent enough for fans of the series (or of Star Wars more generally) to want to pick up at some point.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 31
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (15 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25

31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25

With the exception of Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors, the Gundam spin-offs of the Dynasty Warriors series are probably my favorite musou-style games. Granted, this was only the second one I've played, but it has lasers and giant robots, and aside from scantily-clad anime women, those are pretty much the two most important criteria with regards to whether or not I'll like a game. Despite my love of the concept and my fairly newly found love of Gundam, I had some mixed feelings about Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3. It was a fantastic concept, but some of the execution left a bit to be desired. Fortunately, Koei fixed pretty much every single complaint I had when they made Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn, and result is what I consider to be the greatest musou game not on a Nintendo platform.

Visually, Reborn is a good step up from 3. If you're familiar with visuals over the range of the PS3's lifespan, then you'll probably know what I mean when I say that 3 looked like a relatively early PS3 game whereas Reborn looks like a late PS3 game and what a difference that can make. The pre-rendered cutscenes, anime cutscenes, and actual gameplay all look fantastic. The sound design is even better than the visuals. All of the dialogue is voiced in Japanese, but the music is absolutely amazing. Play it through a soundbar and speaker system, and you're in for an amazing experience.

The game has two primary modes, Official and Ultimate. Official Mode takes you through EXTREMELY abridged retellings of the stories of Mobile Suit Gundam, Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack, Unicorn Gundam, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, and Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny. This is the mode in which I spent most of my time. Ultimate Mode plays a bit like Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3's bizarre "pilots from all over time and space" story and is framed in a combat simulator rather than real events. There are a massive 189 missions in this Ultimate game type, so there's definitely no shortage of content here. While I preferred playing through the Official storylines more than the Ultimate mode, I do have one complaint with it: the storytelling. Having seen the three compilation movies of the original Gundam series, I followed along with the events of that series' campaign no problem. I haven't seen the other five, though, and while knowledge of the characters and context let me follow along fairly well with Zeta Gundam and Char's Counterattack, I was completely lost in Unicorn Gundam, SEED, and SEED Destiny. Basically it's abridged SO much that if you've seen the series the campaign is based on, you'll follow along no problem, but if you haven't, absolutely nothing will make sense. On the one hand, that's kind of obnoxious for relative Gundam newcomers like me, but on the other hand, it didn't really spoil much of anything since I had no idea what the hell was going on anyway.

Hands down the best of the Gundam musou games, Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn is almost everything you could want out of the genre. Your attacks are much more substantial than in the previous game, making your mobile suit really feel like the massive weapon it is, and the difficulty is scaled back so that Hard still offers a fair challenge but Normal is a relatively relaxed "blow shit up" experience more than a harrowing gauntlet of survival. Unfortunately the game is only available digitally in North America, but I imported a European copy of the game fairly inexpensively - something like $20 or $30 if memory serves? - and the PS3 is region free, so that's an extremely accessible option for collectors like me. No matter how you play it, though, if you're a fan of Gundam and/or the Dynasty Warriors series, this is definitely a must-play.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Jungle Book (SNES)(Platformer)
2. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (SNES)(Light Gun Shooter)
3. Might and Magic VI (PC)(RPG)
4. Revenant (PC)(RPG)
5. Neo Turf Masters (NGPC)(Sports)
6. Fatal Fury: First Contact (NGPC)(Fighter)
7. Pac-Man (NGPC)(Action)

I often play on my NGPC in spare moments, such as rebooting my computer or installing updates. I just knocked out some games I was playing over the weekend, so I figured I would share my thoughts.

Neo Turf Masters

Neo Turf Masters on the NGPC is a port of the arcade classic, but this time done with anime-esque visuals similar to what can be found in Pocket Tennis Color. You pick one of six characters, and if you are just itching the play a round of golf, one of three courses. You can also play through a tournament involving all three courses if you prefer the long game. I've never been big into golf games, but I found Neo Turf Masters easy to control, forthcoming with important information about the relative strength of clubs, and often easy to understand on a basic level.

Unfortunately, because NTM is easy to get into, SNK put in other factors to ramp up the challenge, and these cause the game to suffer in my opinion. Course design is blatantly wicked at times, such as one that requires you bank a shot off a stone pillar to reach the green. Also, while the game gives you an idea of how powerful each club is, wind is a factor. The game will tell you how strong the wind is, yet it never seems consistent; a 1m wind might well blow your shot off course while a 5m wind seems to have almost no effect. And then there are the trees, which I cannot make heads or tails of about when your ball will strike one. I've arched balls high into the air to then see them struck by trees, while low shots pass completely unfettered through them. At one point during my playthrough, I even managed to repeatedly bounce a ball off the same tree despite my attempts to slice around it and the game not giving me any indication I was actually hitting the tree. I figured it out when my shots started going at 90 degree angles from where I was directing them.

For these reasons, I ended up not liking Neo Turf Masters nearly as much as Pocket Tennis Color. I realize this isn't really a fair comparison since they're different sports, but as I mentioned earlier, I lack the experience with golf games to make a comparison there and am instead focusing on the NGPC's sports offerings.

Fatal Fury: First Contact

The NGPC has a surprisingly strong set of fighting games for a handheld, and Fatal Fury: First Contact keeps up with the rest of the pack. First, the visuals continue the general vibe of the various SNK fighters available, which keeps things appealing throughout. More importantly, FF:FC manages to boil Fatal Fury down to 2 buttons effectively, and the handheld's joystick is still a thrill to use. It controls like a dream, and to top it off, FF:FC is also hands down one of the easier SNK fighters to pick up and play. Higher difficulties require more prep, but coming from something like Street Fighter can still get you results on easier difficulties. But while SNK has a lot of accessibility here, there's still a touch of the old magic in a secret boss that can only be fought if you finish a specific number of opponents off with specific supers in the game. It doesn't change anything beyond unlocking said secret character, but it's a nice introductory touch to SNK's usual utterly ridiculous boss battles.

Do I have any complaints about the game? Well, not really, though there's not nearly as much content here as the likes of Match of the Millennium. Yet I also feel that's a bit disingenuous, because MotM is one of the best handheld fighting games I've ever played, and it stands out in a field of generally great fighters on the NGPC. Fatal Fury: First Contact is yet another great title in this field, so I don't really want to criticize it. It's worth looking into.

Pac-Man

I realize it's strange to consider this "beaten," as it's one of those games that tries to go on infinitely. I did play through multiple rounds, earned a high score, and saw the various animations of Pac-Man and the ghosts which come between specific levels. The NGPC version is a faithful port, and if you're a big Pac-Man fan, this is not a bad game to grab. It offers two modes: one which zooms in to allow better detail but only a limited view, and one that shows the entire maze you are navigating. I prefer having the entire maze so I can keep an eye on the ghosts, but the zoomed-in view can be a nice touch for people who have mastered the game since it obscures the ghosts' location until they're pretty much on top of you.

One small complaint I have is that direction control can be a little wonky with the 8-way joystick, but that's only small and would have been alleviated if I had picked up the game on launch; the NGPC Pac-Man came with a small object to put on the joystick which limited it to 4 directions, thus fixing this issue. I think it was pretty smart to do this for the port, and if I had one, I doubt I would have even mentioned this being a complaint. There are also no options or anything of the like, but it's pretty much a straight port from the arcade, so I'm not surprised at all.

Now for the real question: which release is this a port of? I'm not sure. From looking around, the fruit used to designate levels is different in this release than it was in the arcade original, so it must be from one of the later revamps to adjust the arcade game's difficulty. Still, it's Pac-Man, and it's a far better experience than, say, the Atari 2600 release.

Also, I know I listed it as an action game, but in truth, I've never been quite sure what genre these maze games fall into.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Ack wrote:Now for the real question: which release is this a port of? I'm not sure. From looking around, the fruit used to designate levels is different in this release than it was in the arcade original, so it must be from one of the later revamps to adjust the arcade game's difficulty.

this drove me nuts some years ago, and I tried to do some research on it. As best I could find, the NGPC game isn't really a port of any version, but seems to be its own unique version. It seemed to me that the ghosts didn't actually follow set paths, but instead reacted to your movement more akin to Ms. Pac-Man, actually.
Ack

Post by Ack »

noiseredux wrote:
Ack wrote:Now for the real question: which release is this a port of? I'm not sure. From looking around, the fruit used to designate levels is different in this release than it was in the arcade original, so it must be from one of the later revamps to adjust the arcade game's difficulty.

this drove me nuts some years ago, and I tried to do some research on it. As best I could find, the NGPC game isn't really a port of any version, but seems to be its own unique version. It seemed to me that the ghosts didn't actually follow set paths, but instead reacted to your movement more akin to Ms. Pac-Man, actually.

I wondered about that, because I had noticed small behaviors that did make me start thinking of them in Ms. Pac-Man terms. I guess I hadn't realized I was doing it until you mentioned it just now.