Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:55. Ecco the Dolphin (Genesis)

NEVER AGAIN...

Pretty much all that needs to be said.

I know, right?! I really, really enjoyed some parts of it, and I think the art and sound direction is spectacular. These are, tragically, overshadowed by a few areas of extremely poor game design.

Does anyone know if the sequel is any better? If so, I may give that a shot.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Gunstar Green wrote:I used the Legacy Collection as an excuse to finally beat Mega Man X7. It was less of an ordeal than I was expecting given how awful I am at all forms of 3D platforming, though it was still pretty bad. 3D games sure have come a long way since this mess (not that it was considered good at any point in history). X8 is the only other game in the series I haven't completed, I've always gotten bored of it.

That said, X7 at least felt like they were trying, they just didn't have the experience or any good ideas for bringing Mega Man X to the third dimension. It's not the cynical cash grab romhack that is X6 and I didn't feel utterly miserable after finishing it so it's still better than that game in my eyes. I'm glad I didn't play it back when it was new because the disappointment would have hit pretty hard. I'll likely never touch it again for the rest of my life but it feels nice to have finally finished one of the black sheeps of one of my favorite game franchises.

On the bright side the 3D X games look pretty nice in HD on the legacy collection and I'll be giving X8 another shake soon.

Couldn't stomach more of X7 after the intro stage.

X8 I beat back in the day, didn't love it then. Got bored pretty much instantly giving it another shot this time around with the collection. Maybe I'll play it again later.

Deep down in your heart you know the truth...
X6 RULES

I got the platinum for X1-X4, then all the trophies for X5-X6. But I don't care about trophies enough to suffer through X7-X8...
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:55. Ecco the Dolphin (Genesis)

NEVER AGAIN...

Pretty much all that needs to be said.

I know, right?! I really, really enjoyed some parts of it, and I think the art and sound direction is spectacular. These are, tragically, overshadowed by a few areas of extremely poor game design.

Does anyone know if the sequel is any better? If so, I may give that a shot.

I played the sequel just recently for Together Retro. It's better balanced and a lot more fair, but it's still pretty tough and still has some frustrating design elements. Expect a better experience overall, but not anything revelatory - it is very much more of the same.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote:
X6 RULES

No.

It actually makes me angry that it exists. I won't agree with a single opinion about it other than the music is good. It's the rock bottom of the entire Mega Man franchise, the epitome of Capcom showing no care or respect towards it and putting out a product just because they knew people would buy it. It's the only video game I legitimately loathe. It's the only video game I wish never existed. It's the Sonic '06 of Mega Man, not in that it's less playable than Sonic '06, but because it represents the same shitty attitude towards its consumers. My hatred of X6 boarders on the irrational.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

:lol: Damn! Can't bring myself to say I loathe any Mega Man. I don't like 7 at all though. :roll:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

alienjesus wrote:I played the sequel just recently for Together Retro. It's better balanced and a lot more fair, but it's still pretty tough and still has some frustrating design elements. Expect a better experience overall, but not anything revelatory - it is very much more of the same.

Thank you. Good to hear. I may give it a shot sometime.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Xeogred wrote::lol: Damn! Can't bring myself to say I loathe any Mega Man. I don't like 7 at all though. :roll:

I'm meh about 7. That final Wily fight is a beast though.
Flake

Post by Flake »

I can't get enough of MM7s aesthetic. I wish it'd been around for more than 1 game and a spin-off.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Gunstar Green wrote:
Xeogred wrote::lol: Damn! Can't bring myself to say I loathe any Mega Man. I don't like 7 at all though. :roll:

I'm meh about 7. That final Wily fight is a beast though.

+1

I think the Wily fight almost redeems the rest of the game. It is definitely the part I remember the fondest.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

I always get weirded out when people bash Mega Man & Bass. I think that one blows 7 out of the water tenfold. And I'm glad it uses 8's superior sprites. It's also one of the hardest ones to me personally but I've only finished it a few times over. Bass is awesome and controls like an X character, though he's got directional fire his buster is total weak sauce. I played it again last year with Mega Man, maybe I'll go for another run with Bass soon since I'm always craving more Mega Man.

I also remember when it was called Mega Man 9 all over the net back in the day. Everything about the game and the OST exudes a strange comfy nostalgia to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tgTfWwQzTc