Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by marurun »

Coryoon was built on a really well-programmed engine, so much so that Hudson used that same engine for the first Air Zonk title. The music driver is particularly good, though it does suck up a lot of system CPU time. And yet the gameplay and graphical effects are fast and furious despite the music driver's overhead.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 38
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (3 Games Beaten)
36. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
37. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
38. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18

Bit.Trip Beat is the first game in the Bit.Trip series. Originally released on Nintendo's WiiWare service, the success of the game and the series it spawned saw ports to multiple platforms. What makes Bit.Trip Beat so awesome is that its extreme simplicity is complemented by extreme addictivity.

Beat essentially plays like someone said "What if we took Pong and made it a rhythm game?" You play as a paddle on the left side of the screen and have to bounce dots back as they come from the right side. Simple, yeah? There's only three levels, but each one is a marked increase in difficulty. You end up with dots that come back to you until you hit them multiple times, dots that burst into multiple dots, and even legit boss encounters. In addition to all of that, the dots fall in rhythm with the music so that every time you hit one back, the sound effect adds to the melody. It's a very simple concept, but it's a lot deeper than you first think.

The game has a very Atari 2600 aesthetic, but the visuals just serve a purpose; the star of the show here is the music. The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. I can't speak for the controls on other platforms, but tilting the Wiimote up and down to move your paddle feels so fluid and natural. The Wii really was the perfect platform for this game. I've played around with it on Vita a little bit, and while tilting the Vita up and down certainly works, it feels a lot more natural on the Wii. Whether it actually does perform better on the Wii or it's just my console bias speaking, I can't say, but it's a great game regardless.

Bit.Trip Beat is an inconspicuous little game that ended up garnering a cult following and fairly prolific series, and once you play it, it's not at all hard to see why. It takes the simple Pong formula, adds rhythm game mechanics, and turns it into something wholly new and addicting. It may not have the flashiest graphics, compelling story, or intricate gameplay, but it's fun, it's addicting, and it's got a killer soundtrack. I have zero problem recommending this game especially given how easily available it is.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

marurun wrote:Coryoon was built on a really well-programmed engine, so much so that Hudson used that same engine for the first Air Zonk title. The music driver is particularly good, though it does suck up a lot of system CPU time. And yet the gameplay and graphical effects are fast and furious despite the music driver's overhead.

Oh, I didn't know they reused that engine. I haven't messed with Air Zonk yet. Very cool to know!
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:38. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18

Super cool game. Beat the hell out of me though; so, nice work getting through it. I love Commander Video - my wife made me a Commander Video coffee mug a few years ago - and I really should revisit it. If only I could play it with an Atari paddle controller...
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:

Super cool game. Beat the hell out of me though; so, nice work getting through it. I love Commander Video - my wife made me a Commander Video coffee mug a few years ago - and I really should revisit it. If only I could play it with an Atari paddle controller...

Dude, I kept thinking that exact same thing about the paddle. I got through the first level no problem, and while it was tough, I got through the second level on my first try, but the endboss in the last level took me a few tries.

REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Borderlands 2 for PS4 on Normal as Axton. Also beat the DLC expansions.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:

Dude, I kept thinking that exact same thing about the paddle. I got through the first level no problem, and while it was tough, I got through the second level on my first try, but the endboss in the last level took me a few tries.

Have you played the Bit.Trip Runner games? Those are what made me fall in love with the series. They are so, so good.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

ElkinFencer10 wrote:

Have you played the Bit.Trip Runner games? Those are what made me fall in love with the series. They are so, so good.

The bit.trip runner games put all runner games to shame, they are absolutely amazing and completely addicting. I am so stoked for runner 3 on switch. I never played any other game in the bit.trip series, but your review makes me interested in investigating them.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Runner 2 was the first one I played, and that's what got me hooked on the series.

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 39
* denotes a replay

March (4 Games Beaten)
39. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18

Bit.Trip Core took the "really simple but surprisingly deep" gameplay style of Bit.Trip Beat and replicated it with a radically different style of play. Core also carries with it from Beat the phenomenal soundtrack and gameplay intricately and inherently tied to rhythm and music.

Whereas Beat was Pong-cross-Guitar Hero, Core is harder to describe. The closest analogy I can think of would be an old tower defense-ish game (think Missile Command), but that's honestly not all that accurate, either. You control a....thing....in the middle of screen, and you can shoot in one of four directions; straight up, straight down, straight left, or straight right. The rhythm aspect here is that you have time your shots to hit the pixels right as they cross one of those four lines of fire. It starts off easy, but as you eventually get pixels coming at you constantly from every direction, it can get really confusing to keep straight what direction you need to shoot when. Difficulty aside, though, it's an EXTREMELY fun game and, in my opinion, more addicting than the first one.

As was the case with Bit.Trip Beat, Bit.Trip Core has three levels - each much more difficult than the last - and a boss at the end of each level. I actually found Core to be a bit easier than Beat, but that might be because Core's controls use the Wiimote's D-pad rather than the gyroscope, and I have pretty shaky hands, making motion controls a bit imprecise for me even though I love them. Regardless of whether Core is a little tougher or Beat is a little tougher, what's certain is that Core is pretty much the perfect sequel. It took what made Beat fantastic and unique and applied that formula to a radically different gameplay style.

Bit.Trip Core is a truly excellent follow up to Bit.Trip Beat, and while they're so different that it's hard to say whether or not it surpasses its predecessor, it's certainly a superb follow-up. It keeps the fantastic music and emphasis on rhythm and timing while having the actual gameplay rooted in a totally different format. This is how a series should progress in my opinion - taking a concept and expanding it rather than just doing the same thing but bigger and prettier each time.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 40
* denotes a replay

March (5 Games Beaten)
40. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18

40. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18

Bit.Trip Void is the third game in the Bit.Trip series, and while it still very much keeps a lot of the style from Beat and Core, its reliance on rhythm is less than in its predecessors, and its visuals are less colorful. If you've played the first two games in the Bit.Trip series and - like me - love the soundtrack, don't worry about that; the music in Void fits right in with the two preceding games.

Whereas Beat was like an evolved Pong, and Core was like an mutated tower defense, Void is sort of like a hybrid of Pac-man and Ikaruga. You play as a pixelated black circle (the "void" I assume), and the object of the game is to collect as many of the black dots that fly on screen as possible while avoiding the white dots. Every time you ingest a black dot, your circle grows larger and moves more slowly. You move with the Nunchuk control stick, and pressing A on the Wiimote returns your circle to the original size and speed. As was the case with Beat and Core, there are three levels with a boss at the end of each, and while this is probably the most of fun of the first three Bit.Trip games in my opinion, I also found it to be the most difficult towards the end of the last level.

While Void is certainly not a monochrome game, since the player is all black and the dots with which you interact are either all black or all white, the game feels a lot less colorful than Beat or Core because the only thing that really has any real color is the background. The music fits right in with the other two games, but the visuals are definitely less interesting. Fortunately the gameplay is more than good enough to make up for the rather more muted visual presentation matching the addictivity of the first two Bit.Trip games perfectly.

Bit.Trip Void is definitely a bit of a departure from Bit.Trip Beat and Bit.Trip Core, but the style and sound of the game is nevertheless very much in line with the first two in the series. It's a bit less rhythm-dependent than Beat or Core, but that's not to say that the music isn't on par with those two; it absolutely is. I found Void to be the most fun of the three I've played so far, personally, but I also found it to be the most challenging at the end of the third level. In contrast, however, I found it to be the easiest in the first two levels. There's a noticeable difficulty spike from level 2 (Ego) to level 3 (Superego), and if I were to make any solid complaint with the game, that would probably be it. It's still, however, ABSOLUTELY a must-play.