Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
ElvinStrawhat

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by ElvinStrawhat »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)

I've always had an affinity for those games released during the initial second and third generation overlap. This is when we began to see games evolve significantly in terms of mechanics and aesthetics, but most still stuck to that classic looping high score chaser design. One such title released during this era (1984) was Konami's Antarctic Adventure. Originally on the MSX, it was soon ported to the ColecoVision (in North America) and Famicom (in Japan). These days, the Famicom port is likely the cheapest and easiest to track down, regardless of what continent you inhabit. As an aside, YouTube comments inform me that every European played this on pirate multicarts back in the day.

The goal is to guide a cute penguin named Penta around the perimeter of Antarctica. Each stage concludes with our feathered friend raising a nation's flag at an ice station. The game ends (well, loops) when the flag of Japan ascends, naturally. The viewpoint presented here is similar to that of Sega's classic Turbo, with the player's vantage point situated behind Penta. It's a race against the clock, and instead of other "drivers" on each course Penta must instead hop over and steer clear of various chasms and dastardly seals.
Controls are solid. The up button is used to gain acceleration, and there's little reason to ever not travel at the top speed. Penta jumps gracefully, and if he's travelling fast enough multiple pitfalls can be cleared with a single bound. Note that Penta isn't your typical video game hero -- falling in a hole does not spell certain doom, but it does certainly slow him down. There are actually a variety of chasms, some merely trip up Penta a bit while others result in some more serious stalling. Then there are the seals -- these really cause issues, occasionally popping out of holes about a millisecond before Penta can clear them. For this reason I recommend going around obstacles whenever possible.

Each stage is littered with items in the forms of flags and fish that leap up from the depths. Most do nothing but divvy out good ol' points, but the flashing flags defy the laws of zoology, allowing Penta to fly for a spell. These are all but required in the final stage on the standard difficulty, and are necessary to clear multiple stages on the game's hardest mode.
Graphics are serviceable. Antarctic Adventure certainly looks like an early Famicom game; in fact it looks about identical to its ColecoVision brethren. A sea of stark white dominates the screen (hey, it is Antarctica) though Konami was kind enough to experiment with varying sky colors. It's as if the sun is setting upon Penta as he traverses the stark landscape. Penta's animated well and strikes an adorable pose upon level completion. The game's main theme is undeniably catchy though also unoriginal -- it's instantly recognizable as being an 8-bit rendition of Émile Waldteufel's The Skater's Waltz.

Ultimately, Antarctic Adventure is a tasty morsel of retro gaming fun. The game's goals and control scheme are immediately clear, even to someone just picking up the cartridge for the first time. The frustration factor can be a bit high at first (again, go around the holes) but after a bit of practice everything felt second nature; and there's no better way to kill an afternoon than with a playthrough of something like Antarctic Adventure. It's great for kids too, if my four-year-old's approval is any evidence. She swears Penta is wearing roller skates. I don't see it.

I remember this game when i was a kid ill play this with my dad and my brothers its so memorable this game thanks for your post :roll: :|

brass knuckle
Last edited by ElvinStrawhat on Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

Kingkongkool wrote:The Mummy Demastered
Double Dragon Advance

I'm curious what you thought of these two! I really like DDA, probably my favorite DD game, and I've had my eye on The Mummy Demastered for a while, certainly looks good.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Mummy Demastered is a solid Metroidvania with some weapons that feel good to use and a death mechanic that gives you a reason to continue after a death rather than reloading a save.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Curious for thoughts on DDA too. I love it, and I agree with HG101 that it is probably the best game in the Double Dragon series and the epitome of belt-scrolling brawlers.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Super double dragon will always hold a special place in my heart, but DDA is pretty badass, definitely a contender for my second favorite double dragon game
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

pook99 wrote:Super double dragon will always hold a special place in my heart, but DDA is pretty badass, definitely a contender for my second favorite double dragon game

Agreed. Really, really solid game. I am running the series right now, and it is definitely a top tier game.
Flake

Post by Flake »

January:

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSi ware)

February:

Roundabout (PS4)
Pocket Fighter (PSX)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Batman Arkham VR(PSVR)

March:

Gundam Versus (PS4)

April:

Batman: The Enemy Within (PS4)
Megaman 9 (PS4)
Megaman 10 (PS4)

May:

The Legend of Zelda: BotW (Switch)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS4)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA/WiiU)

June:

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Switch)
Megaman (Switch)
Megaman 2 (Switch)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS4)
Ikaruga (Switch)
Batman: Tell Tale Series (Switch)
Gunbird (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
Caladrius Blaze (PS4)

July:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (PS3)
Street Fighter (PS4)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (PS4)
Megaman X (PS4)
Megaman X4 (PS4)
Super Mario World (SNES Classic)

August:

Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Megaman X2 (PS4)

September:

SNK Gals Fighter (NGPC)
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy (Switch)

Did a quick run of SNK Gals Fighter on my Retropie to get hype about SNK Heroines. Have you ever played a game that just seemed BETTER than the platform it is on? SNK Gals Fighter is a remarkably good fighting game with fantastic art direction and a lot of obvious love for the fans. Playing it on a large flat screen TV makes it great.

SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy is a game that has gotten such middling reviews that stand is stark contrast with how much fun I had with this game last night. It's got a story so amazingly dumb that it's perfect, fan service everywhere, and a surprising amount of content to unlock. Don't believe the reviews that talk about 'it's a fighting game with only one button'. I don't even understand why I keep seeing that claim. There are dedicated face buttons for punch, kick, throw, and special - each with directional input context. The L stick is used to deploy items (also directional input context). The only wacky things are that there is no crouching (I am super okay with this) and that there is a dedicated 'block' button.

What I really like is that beating the crap out of your opponent isn't enough to win. You have to seal the deal by deploying an ultimate attack after getting your opponent's health to zero. The ultimate attack shares the same stamina pool as normal specials so projectile spam might deplete your opponent's health but also leave you in a position where you have to keep fighting until you regain enough stamina to seal the deal.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

I had SNK Heroines on pre-order for a long time. The reviews started to make me worried, but your review has soothed me. My copy should arrive by Monday. Looking forward to comparing notes. And hey, maybe we can do some sparring again like old times. :D
Ack

Post by Ack »

Flake, pretty much every NGPC fighter feels better than they have any right to for a handheld fighter. Those games deserved more coverage and bigger releases.
Flake

Post by Flake »

noiseredux wrote:I had SNK Heroines on pre-order for a long time. The reviews started to make me worried, but your review has soothed me. My copy should arrive by Monday. Looking forward to comparing notes. And hey, maybe we can do some sparring again like old times. :D

I would like that most of all things! I really do think that the people reviewing it were holding it to the same standards that you would a King of Fighters or Street Fighter release. It's not meant to be EVO bait - it's just a fun, dumb, flashy fighting game. And to be honest, with how much modern high profile fighters have alienated me - I am not willing to dedicate thousands of hours of practice - this is a game I needed.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?