Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21-40

41. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Expansion Pass DLC (Switch)
42. Battle Block Theater (Xbox 360) *
43. Magicka (Steam) *
44. La-Mulana 2 (Steam)
45. Yooka-Laylee (Steam)
46. Snipper-Clips: Cut it Out Together! (Switch)
47. Magicka: Dungeons and Gargoyles (Steam)
48. Hearthstone: The Boomsday Project (PC)
49. Timespinner (PS4)
50. Hollow Knight (PC)
51. Wuppo (PC)
52. Super Mario Party (Switch)
53. Party Hard (Steam)
54. The Final Station (Steam)
55. GARAGE: Bad Trip (Steam)
56. Mr Shifty (Steam)

57. LISA (Steam)

I had heard this game was a pretty heavy game with a weird whimsy to how it handles things, and that's pretty close to the truth. LISA is like if Mad Max were a JRPG with an Earthbound-like whimsy to it. It's a really fun, albeit a little unconventional, JRPG that I enjoyed a lot ^w^. I beat it twice. Once on normal mode with the "Joyful" ending, and then again on Pain Mode. The first time through took me about 13 hours, and the 2nd took me about 7 hours.

Pain mode can be activated (a bit too easily, imo) by picking a choice at the beginning of the game, but it's not exactly hard mode. It just adds a couple extra (and not very hard) mini-bosses as well as making each save point only usable once. It adds an interesting level of planning to the game as well as challenge of just "don't die, lol", but it honestly doesn't change the overall game enough to realllly warrant it for most people, and the 1-use save points make it too hard to make it really recommendable to ever do on your first playthrough.

The story of LISA has you in the shoes of Brad, a man living in the post-apocalyptic land of Olathe after some catastrophe has led to the disappearance of all women and a society of only men dreading their eventual extinction. Fates change when Brad happens upon an infant lying in a field, and upon bringing it back to his camp of friends discovers that it is indeed a baby girl. Brad decides to raise the child as his own adopted daughter, as his friends help keep her a secret living in a cave below their tent. Years pass as she grows into adolescence in total secret. Then one day, Brad returns to see that his friends have been murdered and the girl has been stolen away, and Brad sets off on a mission of revenge to get her back. This is an extreme simplification of these events, but LISA's story takes a series of turns that get the story to a pretty dark place. I'm not quite sure I'd compare it to Undertale (not just because Undertale came out nearly a year later), as the path of the story is linear and doesn't have that level of choice-making, but by the end of the game you will certainly begin to question whether Brad is/has been doing the right thing. I'm leaving it really vague as to not to spoil, but I personally really enjoyed the story and how it deals with themes of 'what it really means to sacrifice for someone else' as well as 'when justice becomes injustice.' I do feel it's worth specifying very clearly, though, that LISA deals implicitly and/or explicitly with themes of violence, emotional/sexual abuse, and sexual violence, so if those aren't the kinds of things you can handle, playing through LISA is probably not a good choice for you.

The gameplay is fairly standard JRPG, but not that typical in some ways. The game has very few areas where you could actually grind for EXP. Most enemies you fight are single-battle enemies or mini-bosses who die when you beat them, so you can't re-fight them. There are some fields of snakes or trash men at certain points, as well as a wrestling ring you can get to later that you can use to grind for EXP, but they're the exception rather than the rule. Random battles are not something LISA has many of.

There are a TON, like 25, playable party members, all with fairly varying styles of how they play. Brad, for instance, is one of few characters who can use combos of the WASD keys to both do 5 regular attacks, or chain them together to activate one of his special moves (a very tiny bit like Sabin in FF6, but your D-pad inputs do damage as well in addition to the moves taking from a mana pool). There are a few more standard spell-users, a couple more combo-users, but you also have characters who need TP (which is basically a "rage" mechanic) where they get MP by both taking damage and dealing damage with their normal attacks. Out of the 25, there are some team compositions that are better than others, of course, but there are very few party members who are straight-up awful. Members who are very powerful often aren't very flexible, and vice-versa. And those who are fairly powerful and flexible strategically are often addicts and that's something else entirely.

Brad is a recovering drug addict from the drug Joy (and if you don't take any or give any to other party members, you get a secret ending on normal mode). Several party members come already addicted to Joy, and if they don't take it they go through withdrawal. Taking a Joy gets you the Joyful status effect which makes all your hits crits for like 1-5 turns (which can be very powerful on a character like Brad who effectively can get 4-5 standard attacks + a special move off all in one round). Being in withdrawal basically sets your attack power to 0 as well as tanking your speed, defense, and max HP, so it REALLY sucks. Your special attack doesn't decrease though, so you can still do special moves to hurt stuff, but it's nothing like not being in withdrawal. You can either get out of withdrawal by taking Joy, of which you cannot buy and have a very limited supply of the stuff you can find (there is a hard limit in the game of the stuff, so you NEED to conserve), or go through however many turns of combat (usually around 10, but it could be way less or even more than that) and it will eventually go away until it comes back again sometime while you're wandering the overworld. Addiction adds a whole new level to how you strategize the boss fights, but the game is very beatable without it if you find a team that works for you. (I personally really liked using Nern, Fly, and then either Jack or Carp).

One of the last things I'll mention is that there are SO many party members (all but 3 of which are optional and need to be hunted down, and most of them aren't too hard to find) is that there are some things that will permanently kill party members. Mostly it's story choices or optional bosses, but how because them permanantly dying IS a thing that can happen, that's why something like Pain Mode with limited saves would be so ill advised on your first runthrough. Because EXP grinding isn't easy to do to grind up a new character, losing a team-mate REALLY sucks if you aren't expecting it, so save-scumming is something that is basically mandatory to conserve your sanity XD

Verdict: Highly Recommended. LISA is a fantastic JRPG that is pretty far off the beaten path as far as a typical narrative or mechanics go. I even didn't mind immediately replaying through a fairly long game because the character variety is so great and the world is just so cool. This is a great game totally worth picking up if you want something to make you think a bit but not too far from the mechanics you're familiar with in a JRPG.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
*6. Pikmin (GCN)*
*7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)*
8. Shining Force II (GEN)
*9. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (PS1)*
*10. Mafia (XBOX)*
11. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GCN)
12. ChuChu Rocket! (SDC)
*13. Super Metroid (SNES)*
14. Final Fantasy II (NES)
15. Devil May Cry (PS2)
16. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (GEN)
17. Secret of Evermore (SNES)
18. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (PS2)
19. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GCN)
*20. Paper Mario (N64)*
21. Grandia II (SDC)
22. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PS2)
23. Bomberman Hero (N64)
24. OutRun (GEN)
25. Dragon Warrior IV (NES)
26. Super Monkey Ball (GCN)
27. Mischief Makers (N64)
28. Dragon Valor (PS1)
*29. Beyond Good & Evil (XBX)*
30. Tokyo Xtreme Racer (SDC)
31. Black (PS2)
*32. Street Fighter II (SNES)*
33. Koudelka (PS1)

34. Bad News Baseball (NES)

I beat Bad News Baseball for the Nintendo Entertainment System this afternoon!

I actually did not grow up as a nerd. With older brothers, I actually grew up around sports being everywhere in our house. I was never any good and I always stuck to video games. But, my brothers would buy and play sports video games. Since those were sometimes the only things around the house, I kind of grew up playing them. Because of that, I have a rather huge nostalgia for NES sports titles. They were a perfect blend of action and sim like depth. Last year, my nostalgia hit me rather hard and I went looking for some undiscovered Baseball games. I stumbled upon Bad News Baseball and after a surprisingly long search, I finally found it and eventually played.

Baseball on the NES has two different styles. There is the behind the pitcher view, ala Bases Loaded, that adds a third dimension to the game. Otherwise, you have the above the plate view, like in RBI Baseball. I much prefer the RBI view as it is easier to see the ball coming across the plate and makes the game much less complex. Bad News Baseball takes this view and like the good NES baseball games runs with it. The game is not very different from many other games in the genre. It doesn't have special abilities or an in depth roster to make it stand out. Bad News Baseball just plays extremely well and probably the most enjoyable NES baseball game to play. I would say it also adds a good amount of realism to the game. The pitches have Hit Points as a way to gauge their strength. As they throw more pitches, they got more tired and they need rest between games which is a very good touch of authenticity. Also, the hitting is rather realistic as well. You will hit a lot of lazy pop flys or outs directly at fielder's position. But, as the pitcher tires and your players come up another time, you begin to hit it harder for more homeruns. I never scored over ten runs as most of my scores were in the 7-4 territory. RBI Baseball was very easy in that way while Bad News Baseball made every game more exciting.

Overall, I absolutely loved my experience with Bad News Baseball. I haven't even explored the other part of the game where the rosters are completely new and I would get to play as females. With Bunny Umpires that shout their calls, I would say this is one of the better NES baseball games out there. Not a ton of depth or variety, but just a blast to play.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

* indicates a repeat

1-20

21-40

43. Magicka (Steam) *
44. La-Mulana 2 (Steam)
45. Yooka-Laylee (Steam)
49. Timespinner (PS4)
50. Hollow Knight (PC)
51. Wuppo (PC)
53. Party Hard (Steam)
56. Mr Shifty (Steam)
57. LISA (Steam)

58. LISA: The Joyful (Steam)

Even after playing through the main game twice, I was SO psyched to keep getting more I hopped right into the DLC sequel. The sequel is quite different in structure, storytelling nuances, and even gameplay mechanics, I thought it was a fantastic follow-up that does a good job of giving a conclusion to the story-line set up in the first game. It's worth noting that this game is a fair bit shorter than the first, taking me only 3-ish hours, so if you're someone who evaluates games by a pure cost/price ratio, the DLC may feel like a rip-off at $5 compared to the main game's $10. I certainly thought the game was worth the cost because the gameplay is good fun and the story is very well done. If the main game were $15 and the DLC were $10, I'd have some more reservations, but the whole package for $15 I think is a perfectly fair deal for an indie game.

ANYWAY, the plot of The Joyful (the previous game having the original subtitle "The Painful") follows the young girl from the first game, Buddy, now that she is on her own. In order to make sure no one ever messes with her again, she sets off on a quest in the Eastern part of Olathe (so no revisiting old areas) to murder everyone on "The List," a giant wall between East and West Olathe with the names of the most powerful warlords on it. However, despite Buddy's quest being explicitly focused on violence where Brad's was implicitly focused on it, Buddy's quest has a much different dynamic because her quest's goal is so different in goal, and because of who she is. Both stories are commentaries on the cycle of abuse, and Buddy's is used to comment upon Brad just as hers is used to comment upon his.

The first big mechanical change, which isn't really emphasized, is that while Joy is still a mechanic, Buddy isn't an addict from the start and there is no narrative consequence for taking it. This was likely done because, due to Buddy's big secret that she's the only girl in the world, she can't trust anyone for pretty obvious reasons. Buddy is on her own for basically the entire story, which makes the way she has to fight a lot harder, so the auto-crits that Joy gives you are really valuable to not die all the time. This said, I played through it assuming taking Joy would change the ending so I didn't take any, and I thought the game was really fantastically challenging in how I had to manage health resources and single-use weapon items. Although if you want something a lot less challenging, Joy is kind of a must-use thing.

Buddy being on her own is made more interesting in battle because of the new gameplay mechanics introduced to how she does her best attacks. For starters, she uses TP, not MP like Brad does, so she needs to deal and take damage to use her special attacks. From the start, Buddy can use a skill to inflict bleed effects by doing a small mini-game a bit like Elite Beat Agents by pressing the action button again as the circle closing in hits the middle circle. It takes a lot of timing to get down, but getting good at it is really important because you NEED to inflict as much damage as possible. Where the first game does a good job to showing the player how important status effects like stun, fall, poison, and others can be, Buddy's quest really forces the player to use bleed, poison, fluster, and Buddy's other statuses she can inflict to get any possible edge she can on her opponents. I really loved how much more engaging these mechanical shifts made the combat in this game, and I really didn't mind the lack of other party members as a result of it.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. It's an evolution from the first in more ways than one, but it pulls it off brilliantly. Really the only bad thing I can say about it is that it's a bit too short because I just kept wanting more game to play when it was all done XD . If you like LISA, you will likely really enjoy LISA: The Joyful as well.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

290. Bubsy: the woolies strike back

This is a game that nobody asked for. Although Bubsy was an extremely hyped game when it came out in the 90's both the original bubsy and its sequel were mediocre at best. Then Bubsy tried to move into 3d and was the star of a game that is literally in the running for worst game ever made. After that, Bubsy faded away, never to be heard from again, but for some reason someone thought that bringing him back would be a good idea.

Bubsy: the woolies strike back, returns him to his 2d roots. It is not a bad game, but there is also nothing here that would inspire you to play it over the dozens of phenomenal 2d platformers currently out. I would say this game is one of the most average game I have ever played in my life.

The graphics are good enough, the controls are responsive, the sound is annoying because bubsy is constantly throwing out unfunny one-liners, I actually turned the sound off and just listened to podcasts during my playthrough of it. It is extremely easy, and outside of learning a boss pattern I don't think I ever died. The game is broken up into 3 different areas, each area has a few stages and ends in a boss battle. The levels themselves are mind-numbingly easy and can be rushed through in no time at all. There are collectables, each level has 5 keys that open a vault full of yarn as well as several hundred balls of yarn littered through the stages. Perhaps trying to collect every ball of yarn would make the levels slightly more interesting and challenging but there is no reward to do so and as such I had absolutely no motivation to collect any of them.

The boss battles are pretty long and drawn out, none of them are hard but I did die a few times on the 2nd boss learning his patterns. The whole game can be completed in a little over an hour and once you beat it there is not much else to do other than go back and collect yarn balls. I don't think the short length is a bad thing, if the game was much longer I would have gotten even more bored than I was and I would not have finished it.

If you have a kid this game is probably not the worst thing in the world as long as you wait for a sale(I paid 5 dollars for it), but unless you are the one guy who really was into Bubsy as a kid there is no reason to pick this game up.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
23. Arcade Archives: Ninja-Kid (Switch eShop)
24. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
25. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom (Switch eShop)
26. Front Line (Atari 2600)
27. Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
29. Exerion (Famicom)
30. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes (Switch eShop)
31. Arcade Archives: Double Dragon (Switch eShop)
32. ACA NeoGeo: Ninja Combat (Switch eShop)
33. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Wizard Fire (Switch eShop)
34. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Game Boy)
35. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
36. Grand Master (Famicom)
37. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Sly Spy (Switch eShop)
38. ACA NeoGeo: Top Hunter Roddy & Cathy (Switch eShop)
39. ACA NeoGeo: Shock Troopers (Switch eShop)
40. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
41. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
42. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES)
43. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
44. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
45. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
46. - 52. Metal Slug Anthology (PSP)
53. Gorf (Atari 2600)
54. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
55. Mario Bros. (NES)
56. Balloon Kid (Game Boy)
57. Esper Dream (Famicom Disk System)
58. Arcade Archives: Traverse USA (Switch eShop)

Just some quick thoughts.

Esper Dream is an old Konami ARPG. I'm probably the only person in North America who has beaten this three times. My daughter got hooked on it, somehow, so I decided to do a full playthrough. The game's kinda interesting. There's a "dream world" setting reminiscent of Super Mario Bros. 2, and the main playable character uses a projectile weapon throughout. The soundtrack is beautiful, though visuals are tend to be clunky and utilitarian. It does fall into the classic RPG pitfalls. It's a grindy and repetitive game, and the frequent load times and disk-flips really slow things down. It's neat from a historical perspective, but I'd only recommend this to weirdos like myself.

Traverse USA was a pleasant surprise. I expected a brutally hard old-school racer where I'd immediately be slammed with a Game Over for not finishing in the top three or whatever. Instead, this is like an early scenic "driving" game where you only lose by running out of gas. Pretty fun and charming overall, glad to see obscurities like this dropping in the Arcade Archives series.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Games Beaten January thru September:
January:

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSi ware)

February:

Roundabout (PS4)
Pocket Fighter (PSX)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Batman Arkham VR(PSVR)

March:

Gundam Versus (PS4)

April:

Batman: The Enemy Within (PS4)
Megaman 9 (PS4)
Megaman 10 (PS4)

May:

The Legend of Zelda: BotW (Switch)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS4)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA/WiiU)

June:

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Switch)
Megaman (Switch)
Megaman 2 (Switch)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS4)
Ikaruga (Switch)
Batman: Tell Tale Series (Switch)
Gunbird (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
Caladrius Blaze (PS4)

July:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (PS3)
Street Fighter (PS4)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (PS4)
Megaman X (PS4)
Megaman X4 (PS4)
Super Mario World (SNES Classic)

August:

Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Megaman X2 (PS4)

September:

SNK Gals Fighter (NGPC)
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy (Switch)
Super Mario Bros (NES Switch Online)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES Switch Online)

October:

Super Mario Bros 2 (NES Classic)
Splatoon 2 Octo Expansion (Switch)
Banner Saga Part 1 (Switch)
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (Switch)

Look at Flake taking a break from Nintendo 1st party!

Okay, Banner Saga is great. It has this incredible mix of gameplay. Equal parts Final Fantasy Tactics, Oregon Trail, and dating sim. The game's first installment clearly shows its Kickstarter / Mobile+PC roots . The various UIs overlayed on different gameplay sections feel incomplete and not at all optimized for a home console. It's easy to overlook it when you sit back and admire the beautiful animation during battle. I've been told the animations are rotoscoped from footage of people actually doing the movements. When someone takes a blow to their shield, their whole body pitches back to absorb it. If someone is using a heavy long sword, they actually take time to wind up and swing. Another thing that I appreciate is the gravity of your decisions - by the end of the game, I was running out of food and actively looking for opportunities to get people to leave my caravan. I was given plenty such opportunities but there was always an underlying suggestion that these decisions won't be forgotten in part 2...

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon is a neat little bonus to a Kickstarter I backed how many years ago now? I remember it releasing to great fanfare when it first launched but it took me awhile to get into it. It's a lot of fun and a true love song to one of my favorite (even though I suck at it) games, Castlevania 3. I don't think it's quite as good as many of the enthusiastic reviews made it out to be - the level design is either too easy or too hard and later levels require too much trial-and-error memorization. The themes of Castlevania 3 are still there and the quality of life improvements are undeniable. From what I gather, this game is a prequel to the upcoming Bloodstained proper and if that is the case, it's truly great marketing.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Ducktales: Remastered
2. Grand Theft Auto V
3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram
4. Final Fantasy Type-0
5. The King Of Fighters: Neowave
6. Guardian Heroes
7. Puyo Puyo Tetris
8. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
9. Gunstar Heroes
10. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
11. Ultimate NES Remix

Okay, when I say I 'beat' NES Remix, I mean the 50 actual Remix levels. I obviously had to beat a bunch of other random levels to unlock all those as well. Anyway, it's a fun little mini-game collection for nostalgics and has lots of replayability in the 3-star system. After watching the credits roll I handed the cart over to my wife to dig into.

EDIT:

Ultimate NES Remix
2014, Nintendo

I'll be honest, I probably would have never played Ultimate NES Remix had it not been bundled with my New 2DS XL that I just recently picked up. I scored a really good deal on a refurbished bundle from Gamestop of all places that included a couple of games and this happened to be one of them. But I must say I'm glad I had a reason to pop this one in as it proved to be a solid good time, turning classic NES games into a bit of a collection of bite-sized challenges.

But let me backtrack for a moment. Although I hadn't really played any 3DS games lately, I have had a long relationship with little DS handheld family over the years. See, back in 2007 I got a DS Lite which I managed to purchase with the proceeds from a yard sale of old junk. It was meaningful for me because it was the first video game system I had owned in like four years after taking some kind of hiatus from gaming in college. Truth be told, I let Animal Crossing on Gamecube sort of dominate my life for one winter and decided that maybe I should play games less. Weird, right?

My DS acquisition started innocent enough. I picked up a New York Times Crosswords game, and some other 'brain game.' But then... I remembered things like Castlevania and Mario and after that all bets were off. And over the years picked up another DS ("phat") for my wife, and then a 3DS for myself and then a 3DS XL and gave the 3DS to her. But then at some point I hadn't really used my XL in a while so I got rid of it and just figured I could borrow her 3DS when I needed to. But lately I had been itching to play some old DS and 3DS games. While the Switch is totally my console of choice these days, I don't like to take it out of the house. It's portable... but just portable enough to use around the house. I'm too afraid of damaging it to really take it anywhere.

So I started researching 3DS models and found out one very important fact: the "New" 3DS models can play SNES games on the eShop. Sold! I promptly ordered a New 2DS XL as it seems to be the slimmest and lightest fo the 3DS models. And here we are.

So anyway, I've been playing NES Remix, which if you don't know is a collection of mini-games based on old NES games. You get a star rating (one to three) based on performance and then use those stars to unlock the 50 actual Remix levels which I consider the 'base game.' The remix levels are where shit gets interesting. You'll have to do things like play a level of Donkey Kong using Link, who cannot jump, or make it through a level of Super Mario Bros. where all the platforms become invisible. Other Remix challenges turn an eye to more modern gaming cliches such as the endless runner. It's all pretty interesting stuff.

The neat thing is that NES Remix also offers you a way to sample old NES games and just kind of get your beak wet. For instance you'll kind of go through various pieces of the original Legend Of Zelda which makes it feel like a brief Greatest Hits compilation.

I also made some various observations on some of these old NES games as viewed through the current version of me in 2018:

Balloon Fight - is actually a lot more fun than I recall. I think I like it more than Joust.

Donkey Kong - that last stage is a pain in the ass if the little flame things don't cooperate.

Donkey Jr. - I don't think I like it.

Excitebike - is actually a lot more nuanced than I remembered. But I don't think I like it as much as I did when I was a kid.

Mario Bros. - I still don't enjoy this game. I never did really.

Super Mario Bros. - still gets really hard towards the end. All those Hammer Brothers!

The Legend Of Zelda - still rules.

Dr. Mario - I've always loved this game, but Puyo Puyo has fucked me up. I keep expecting the hanging half of the pill to fall, but it doesn't and it totally throws my game off. Damn.

Kid Icarus - still feels as awkward as I remember. Great music, though.

Metroid - this game is still as difficult as I remember. Great music, though.

Kirby's Adventure - is fun. I played through this a couple years back so don't have much to say at the moment.

Punch-Out! - wow, the muscle memory! I guess I've played this a lot over the years!

Super Mario Bros. 2 - absolutely rules. I love this game so so much. I've said it before but it's my favorite of the NES trilogy.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - I still have mad respect for. But eh, I think I enjoyed it way more as a kid. I wrote about the full game again recently.

Zelda II - is fantastic. Maybe I just love a black-sheep game in a series, but I still love this game a lot. I may have had the most fun with these levels and Super Mario Bros. 2.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
14. Super Turrican* (SNES)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2* (SNES)
16. Super Turrican 2* (SNES)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
18. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
19. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 2: DualShock* [Claire A/Leon B] (PSX)
21. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
22. Resident Evil HD* (PS4) [PLATINUM]
23. Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares* (PS4)
24. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition* (PS4) [Vergil]
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
26. Nioh (PS4)
27. Super Mario Bros 3Mix (NES Romhack)
28. Yakuza 6 (PS4)
29. Metroid: Rogue Dawn (NES Romhack)
30. Front Mission: Gun Hazard (SNES)
31. Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB)
32. The Guardian Legend (NES)
33. Brain Lord (SNES)
34. Assault Suits Valken (SNES)
35. Black Mesa (PC) [May2018]
36. Super Metroid Randomizer [C5708009]
37. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC)
38. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Arcade)
39. Captain Commando (Arcade)
40. Fallout: New Vegas* (PC)
41. The Punisher (Arcade)
42. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
43. TMNT: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
44. Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder (Arcade)
45. Golden Axe (Arcade)
46. Undercover Cops (Arcade)
47. X-Men (Arcade)
48. Double Dragon (Arcade)
49. Final Fight* (Arcade)
50. Battletoads* (Arcade)
51. Mega Man ZX Advent (DS)
52. TMNT III: The Manhattan Project* (NES)
53. Mega Man Zero* (DS) [MMZC]
54. Mega Man Zero 2* (DS) [MMZC]
55. Mega Man Zero 3* (DS) [MMZC]
56. Mega Man Zero 4* (DS) [MMZC]
57. Shadow Hearts (PS2)
58. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time* (3DS)
59. Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders (PC)
60. Doom 2: Hellbound (PC) [12hr][Complex|HMP]
61. Doom 2: Sawdust (PC) [50m][UV]
62. Mega Man X* (PS4) [MMXLC]
63. Mega Man X2* (PS4) [MMXLC]
63. Mega Man X3* (PS4) [MMXLC]
64. Mega Man X4* (PS4) [MMXLC]
65. Doom 2: Back to Saturn X EP1 (PC) [7hr][Complex|UV]
66. Mega Man X5* (PS4) [MMXLC]
67. Mega Man X6* (PS4) [MMXLC]
68. Doom 2: Back to Saturn X EP2 (PC) [7h30m][Complex|HMP]
69. Doom 2: Plutonia 2 (PC) [8h23m][UV]
70. Doom 2: Lunatic (PC) [45m][UV]
71. Doom 2: Japanese Community Project (PC) [5h57m][Complex|HMP]
72. Resident Evil 3* (PSX)
73. Dragon Quest V (DS)
74. Koudelka (PSX)
75. Doom (PSX)
76. Final Doom (PSX)
77. Super Ghouls'n Ghosts* (SNES)
78. super Castlevania IV* (SNES)
79. Ninja Gaiden (NES)
80. Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (NES)
81. Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom (NES)
82. Mega Man 11 (PS4)
83. Super Mario All-Stars* (SNES)
84. Silent Hill 2* (Xbox)
85. Silent Hill 3* (PS2)
86. Silent Hill 4* (Xbox)
87. Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)

* = replay

Easy to say Yakuza 2 is just as good as Zero in my book and I might even like it the most in ways. In Zero I think there's no denying Majima steals the show a bit and I loved his side of the story, but with 2 here we get that same level of quality all around Kiryu. The 6 engine is also refined and this Kiwami package is loaded with a bunch of extras and good changes, like the 6 food exp system being back which I also enjoyed, compared to the series' previous exp systems.

The hype around Ryoji Goda more than delivered, this guy is easily the best rival antagonist in the series to me.

Even though I played the two Kiwami versions first, I always hear the same thing about the original releases too... Yakuza 1 / Kiwami is a solid game that set the blueprints down for the series to follow, but the step up with 2 is hard to put into words. It is better in every single area by a large margin and especially in the story/writing department. Also, Sayama is the best female character in the franchise to me and I'd like to talk about more of that in major spoilers below.

Before that though, yeah this is simply peak Yakuza, this and Zero are my favorites by a huge leap. Kiwami 1 can be beaten fairly quickly so even if you don't enjoy that one too much, you definitely want to get around to Kiwami 2.

Major Ending Spoilers:
It didn't take long to fall for Sayama myself, easily the best female character in the series. But due to how this series often treats women and side characters, I was fully prepared for her to die at some point and pleasantry shocked... she lives! But then it gets weird, because the writer for 1-2 left the team and she is no longer in the series. I guess this is for the best, easy to assume her and Kiyru had too many crazy complications to relax and live a simple life together, so it still seems like a solid ending. I'm glad she made it out alive.

I googled around and heard that her original VA was hard to work with. And apparently she's replaced in Kiwami 2 with Aya Hisakawa, but that works for me since Aya is one of my favorites in anime. I guess a combination of the original VA maybe being problematic, the original writer/novelist leaving the team, and them maybe wanting Kiryu to be single for shenanigans is reason why she vanishes from the series. Pretty weird I guess.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

* indicates a repeat

1-20

21-40

43. Magicka (Steam) *
44. La-Mulana 2 (Steam)
45. Yooka-Laylee (Steam)
49. Timespinner (PS4)
50. Hollow Knight (PC)
51. Wuppo (PC)
53. Party Hard (Steam)
56. Mr Shifty (Steam)
57. LISA (Steam)
58. LISA: The Joyful (Steam)

59. Divide by Sheep (Steam)

And so ends my playthrough of the five games I got in the TinyBuild bundle. This one is a mobile puzzle game that got ported to Steam (as is so common these days), but it plays perfectly fine with a mouse. It made for a great thing to occupy my mind with while I was catching up on some podcasts ^w^ . It's got like 150 levels that took me like 6 or so hours to get through trying my damdest to get 3 stars on every mission (which I sadly could not XP), but I had a lot of fun~ It's also worth noting that the game basically has no text in it, and all the tutorials and cutscenes are communicated only through progressions of pictures, so while the theme is a bit dark, ability to read shouldn't stop someone from being able to enjoy it :)

The premise of Divide by Sheep is that Death is lonely and wants friends, so he goes up to the upper world to kill(?) sheep, wolves, and pigs to get him some fluffy animal friends to play with. Using some sheep, wolf, and pig ferrymen, you need to guide the correct number of each respective animal in the correct order to pass each stage, and fulfilling one of the missions will earn you a star (do all 3 to get 3 stars). You also occasionally need to kill a certain amount of animals to fill up Death's own ferry with souls, or feed a certain amount of any animal to a giant monster, and this makes for a total of 5 types of mission goals for each level. The theme is certainly macabre, but the art style is very cutesy and it has a nice sense of humor to it. There's even a set of lasers that sheep can go through to get cut in half (and take up twice as much space as they used to), but if you get two halves on the ferry, they'll tape the sheep back together with a big bit of duct tape around his midsection XD

There are a certain number of islands in a 3 x 3 pattern that you can hop the animals between, but they can only go to adjacent islands, not all 9 islands are always present, and not every island is the same size. If you have 4 sheep on a 6-square island going to an adjacent 3-square island, one of those sheep is gonna die. You also have mechanics like how pigs always push off sheep of an island they're going to (even if space is otherwise free) and how wolves will eat sheep and pigs that they land with but then be unable to move again themselves. It's quite a complex puzzle game that I enjoyed quite a lot ^w^

Verdict: Recommended. It's a well designed puzzle game that gives quite a good amount of content for the $5 price tag. The only thing I'd say is that you're probably better off getting it on mobile unless you can get it for crazy cheap on Steam and you're okay playing it on a mouse. The levels are short enough that they're perfect to play during small breaks or if you just wanna kill time. A good little mobile game, but nothing that's setting the world on fire with ingenuity.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

291. Little Samson (nes)
292. Castlevania Bloodlines (genesis)
293. Adventure of Heroes
294. Jewel Master (genesis)
295. Stay Dead: evolution
296. Usagi Yojimbo: way of the ronin
297. Osteya (android)
298. Aborigenus
299. Aliens vs. Predator (mame)
300. Gargoyles Quest 2 (nes)

291. Little Samson: Most people know of this game now due to it being one of the rarest and most expensive nes games out there. It is a platformer where you get to play as 4 characters each with different abilities. Little samson shoots fireballs and can scale walls, the dragon can jump high, hover in mid air, has an arcing fireball, and a charge shot, the giant has tons of health, does massive damage, and can walk on spikes unharmed, while the mouse, who is generally completely useless, can walk through small spaces, drop bombs, and stick to walls.

You can switch characters at will and each character has their own life bar, but only samsons refills when he dies so you have to carefully manage the health of the rest of the team. Control is very fluid, level design is solid, and it is a pretty tough game but certainly not to the level of stuff like battletoads or ghosts n goblins. It is definitely worth playing on emulator but no game is worth the obscene price tag that it goes for.

292. Castlevania Bloodlines: In my head I always call this game the most over rated castlevania game and generally don't have fond memories of it the way I do the other games in the series. I haven't played it in about 2 years and went in with a more fresh pair of eyes, and I enjoyed it more than I have in the past.

I think my main problems with the game are 2 fold, and they are both going to seem petty for fans of the game but here they are:

1) password system + limited continues: I hate games that do this, it basically means you just have to replay levels to conserve lives and continues which just drags the experience out.

2) The final level is among the worst in the entire series, it is just one stupid design choice after the other. The room where you are split into 3 parts is dumb and disorientating, I hate upside down levels which is the next room after that, the battle with death is hands down the worst in the series and is way too long and monotonous, the battle with the girl after death is equally boring and just comes down to you walking back and forth whipping her. I did enjoy the battle with dracula at the end but this last level is just so unfun that it sours the game for me.

After replaying it I will admit I gave this game some undue hate, it actually is pretty good, but anyone who claims it is anywhere near as good as castlevania 4 is out of there minds.

293: adventure of heroes(steam): mundane platformer that took me about an hour to beat, not the worst game I ever played but not worth your time at all.

294: Jewel Master (genesis): This was a game that I have been meaning to play for a long time. I played it for a minute in my funcoland days and always wanted to get back to it and give it another chance because it seemed cool and I'm glad I did.

It is a sidescrolling platformer where your main character gets 4 different ring types(one for each element) and can combine these ring types for a variety of different offensive, defensive, and movement abilities. It is very well done, easy to use, and it was a lot of fun getting different ring types and experimenting to see what new abilities were unlocked.

The game is pretty short, there are 5 levels, each with a hidden permanent health upgrade that you need to find. You only get one life and 3 continues and your health does not refill between stages which is pretty crappy. The game is on the easy side though, with the only real challenge being the stage 4 and 5 bosses, both of which are pains, especially the final boss.

Its not the most remarakable game but it is fun and the rings are implemented well, definitely worth a playthrough.

295: Stay Dead: evolution(steam) terrible, terrible, FMV fighting game. Basically it is a one on one fighting game with pre shot fight scenes that use real actors. You don't have any control over your fighter other than to hit the correct arrow keys at the appropriate time and watch the action unfold in front of you. The game is basically one big quick time event that you could finish in about 20 minutes and the fight scenes are not cool to watch at all. I don't know how this game found its way into my steam library, I'm guessing it came in a bundle, but it should be avoided at all costs.

296: Usagi Yojimbo: Very basic brawler where you play as Usagi Yojimbo, the samurai bunny made popular by the TMNT series. It is a final fight style game but is about as basic as possible. You get 2 attack buttons, that can be combined into a variety of different comboes, a block button that you will never use, and a jump button that produces one basic jump attack that does basically 0 damage.

The game is ludicrously easy and the combos you perform don't make any difference, so you basically just go around hitting x,x for like an hour until the game ends. There are far better beat em ups out there so don't bother wasting your time with this one.

297. Osteya: (android) Fun little platformer with about 60 levels. You traverse through caverns jumping around, avoiding spikes, killing enemies with your tiny whip, and collecting treasure that does nothing. It is the perfect portable game because you can pick it up, play a few levels, and easily put it down since the levels are very short. It is free, fun to play, and has nice responsive controls.

299. Aliens vs Predator (arcade): I never played this game but I heard tons of great things about it, I'm glad I finally played it. You pretty much can never go wrong with a Capcom beat em up, and this game has everything you would want in an arcade beat em up.

300. Gargoyes Quest 2: In the age of the internet there are tons of games that are considered "underrated" or hidden gems, but I think that title is more true for the gargoyles quest series than any game or franchise. There are 3 games in the series, gargoyles quest on the original game boy, the nes sequel, and demons crest for the snes. Demons crest gets a lot of hype and fanfare on the internet nowadays but very few people talk about its nes predecessor. The series is a spin off of the ghosts n goblins franchise that has you playing as red gargoyle, firebrand.

GQ2 is an side scrolling platformer that has you exploring an overworld between levels, visiting towns, talking to people to figure out where to go next, and acquiring several different upgrades. This is not a cryptic game and if you take the time to talk to townspeople you will never get lost. Movement on the overhead map is fast and there are no random encounters, you do run into enemies you could fight to get vials, which can be traded for extra lives, but that is not really worth it. As you progress around the map you meet various people who upgrade your character in a variety of ways such as added jump height, more health, new projectiles, and added hover length. These constant upgrades keep the gameplay fresh and always make you want to talk to all the people you meet.

The platforming in these games is just a ton of fun. You can breath fire(and other projectiles), cling to walls, and you have a jump button. Pressing the jump button mid air allows you to float and move horizontally in either direction. At the start of the game your hovering abilities are pretty weak but as you progress you can hover for longer and longer until you eventually can hover forever. You also get some cool weapons such as a tornado attack that creates platforms, and a bubble that creates points on spiked walls that you can cling to in order to progress further.

These unique abilities allow for some very creative level design with a lot of vertical and horizontal movement that really sets this game apart from other platformers. The levels are all very fun to play and end in a boss fight, the bosses are meh and range from stupidly easy to bordering on the cheap side. The overall difficulty of the game is about right, you will die a few times here and there but it is always fair. My only complaint about the game is the continue system

You get a password at random towns, when you lose all your lives you go back to the last password guy you visited. The good news is that you keep all the items you acquired and any bosses you killed stay dead but sometimes you will have an unneccessarily long hike to get back to the point where you last died. Although I did not have to continue much it was frustrating when it happened and could have been rectified by placing more password people in the game or just letting you start back at the beginning of the section you died it.

GQ2 is a unique and very fun game that nobody ever talks about but is definitely worth a playthrough, especially now since its horror theme fits so nicely into halloween.