Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by Ack Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:39 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Ack wrote:Fourck yeah, Partridge! You have the Ack bloody seal of approval.

yeah that was legit. And of course I'd have to die right before Mars. Of course I would.

It's ok, noise. There are trains on Mars anyway.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 pm

that's true.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:48 pm

noiseredux wrote:
Ack wrote:Fourck yeah, Partridge! You have the Ack bloody seal of approval.

yeah that was legit. And of course I'd have to die right before Mars. Of course I would.

You died on Mars. And I totally called it, too, once Partridge claimed that you had managed to survive the entire game.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:50 pm

and I was set to retire in three more weeks!

I'm getting too old for this shit...
Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:22 pm

noiseredux wrote:and I was set to retire in three more weeks!

I'm getting too old for this shit...

At least Chris Rock is your son in law.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:51 pm

1) Legendary Axe II (TG16) (6.0) (1/1) (2.5 hours)
2) The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES) (7.5) (1/3) (1.5 hours)
3) Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! (SNES) (6.5) (1/3) (2.5 hours)
4) The Adventures of Batman & Robin (SNES) (7.0) (1/4) (2.5 hours)
5) The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minney (7.5) (1/6) (1.5 hours)
6) Phantom 2040 (SNES) (7.0) (1/9) (9 hours?)
7) Batman: Return of the Joker (NES) (8.0) (1/10) (0.5 hours)
8) Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (SNES) (8.0) (1/15) (0.5 hours)
9) F-Zero (SNES) (7.5) (1/16) (1 hour)
10) Star Fox (SNES) (7.0) (1/17) (1 hour)
11) Marvel Super Heroes in War of the Gems (SNES) (8.0) (1/17) (1 hour)
12) Saturday Night Slam Masters (SNES) (7.0) (1/20) (1 hour)
13) Shinobi (GG) (7.0) (1/22) (2 hours)
14) Iconoclasts (PC) (9.0) (1/27) (11 hours)
15) Final Fight 3 (SNES) (8.0) (2/3) (1.25 hours)
16) Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (PSX) (7.0) (2/6) (0.4 hours)
17) Sol Divide (PSX) (6.5) (2/9) (0.65 hours)
18) Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES) (7.0) (2/10) (12 hours)
19) Donkey Kong Country 3 (SNES) (7.5) (2/12) (~5.5 hours)
20) Legend of the Mystical Ninja (SNES) (6.5) (2/12) (~2.5 hours)
21) Picross S (NS) (8.5) (2/12) (~20 hours)

Knocked out two SNES games I had going tonight: Donkey Kong Country 3 and Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

For the first, I thought it was fun, although that stupid stage with the shield-holding guys can take a hike. Blargh. I enjoyed it otherwise, although I still think the first game is superior. (Actually, I think the second may be, too, but not by a whole lot.) I'd say I'd give it a 7.5.

As for Mystical Ninja, I was liking it far more, but those last areas are garbage. They start trying to throw things at you that the engine really isn't ideal for. The game has some of the worst hit detection I've ever seen; Goemon (aka Kid Ying) has a pretty massive hitbox, and it's really egregious in the overhead stages. Even "flying" enemies can pop you, because the game doesn't really take height into consideration. So you basically just take a hit if you're lined up with them.

There's lots to do in the game, of course, and I'm sure that's part of the appeal. My advice is get as much money as you can and buy as many items as possible; you've got to have something to make up for the cheese. I'd say... 6.5, but could have been better.

EDIT: Last puzzle of regular Picross mode done in Picross S, and they give a congrats message; I'm totally counting that as "beaten". All 150 puzzles, started with hints early but went back to do them with no hints, and continued from there without them. Some of those puzzles can be a bit diabolical; often times, there's only one move forward, and it's not always readily apparent unless you stare at it for quite a while. And there were a few spots where (horror of horrors!) I actually just said screw it and guessed a block based on what I could see so far. Sometimes, right... and sometimes I'd just have to start over. :(

My only real gripe is that unlike some of the neat multi-puzzle large murals, you just get the 150, and they're repeated for Mega Picross. :(
Last edited by Sarge on Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:29 pm

1. Ducktales: Remastered (360)
2. Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One)
3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram (Xbox One)
4. Final Fantasy Type-0 (Xbox One)

wow. What a fucking mess. I liked it a lot but it's a total mess.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:44 pm

noiseredux wrote:1. Ducktales: Remastered (360)
2. Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One)
3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram (Xbox One)
4. Final Fantasy Type-0 (Xbox One)

wow. What a fucking mess. I liked it a lot but it's a total mess.

congrats!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:15 am

Thanks man. I had a good time but feels good to be done with it!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:51 am

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC

Pools of Darkness is the culmination of the SSI quadrology, and frankly, it's a mixed bag. I personally think the main problem is the fundamental limitations of the AD&D ruleset that forced the developers to just toss numbers and resistances at you to form a challenge, as otherwise you run roughshod over everything. But it goes too far and now you have the opposite problem; every fight is a real slog and the end game sequence relies on you getting lucky in terms of turn order, monster composition, and who makes what saves on each side.

The first thing you'll notice is we are now in glorious VGA. While the leap from CGA to EGA was dramatic, the leap from EGA to VGA is no less stunning. Everything takes on a more natural look, and the resolution is a big higher, so the text and graphics aren't so jagged and pixelated. They've also added soundcard support for everything. In addition to opening title music there are also musical moments for particularly dramatic scenes. Still nothing for general gameplay, but I feel like that has to be an aesthetic choice at this point. More noticable is that all of the PC Speaker sound effects have been replaced with digitized sound. While it was a bit jarring at first (I have a bit of fondness for old PC Speaker effects in RPGs) I soon found myself enjoying it, especially the little death scream.

The game starts with you returning to Phlan, the city where everything began. Shortly after you arrive and you are told the place is peaceful and doesn't need adventurers things go completely to hell. The city is literally lifted out of the ground, along with nearly every other town around the Moonsea. Apparently, Bane is pissed at you for foiling all his plots and this time he's sending the greatest of his lieutenants to take over the area. Thus begins your quest.

The game is sort of a best-of presentation of all the other games. You have back the overworld exploration of Pools, though now it's fully zoomed out so you have a better idea of where you're going. You have the more non-linear quest of Curse, though the geography encourages you to do things in an escalating order. And you have the deeper dungeon design of Secrets, though they resisted the temptation to have giant sprawling areas. Instead you get to see them use all the tricks they learned to create a bunch of small areas and some neat dungeons that feel much more natural than previous entries. And adding to that is a fairly substantial number of optional side quests that give you access to more side story and goodies, as well as the satisfaction of helping people in need.

You might remember my musings on the power curve. Here it's all out of whack. For starters, the level cap is now 40, and you'll get close to it by the end. However, after the first few levels after SotSB it's all empty levels (outside your magic users, who still get extra spell slots every level). Your fighting types' last meaningful level was either 13 or 15, and your cleric's last meaningful level was 18ish. Thiefs never had a meaningful level. So really, only your magic users care about levels to get a few exxtra spell casts. Breaking from tradition, you get to keep all the gear you brought with you from SotSB, and it definitely helps. However, the game's unique structure means it only matters for half the game.

See, the basic setup is that you need to dive into three dungeons in the overworld, and at the end of each of them you pass through one of the titular pools and make your way into a private realm of one of Bane's minions. In the process, all your magical gear will get destroyed (though you do have the opportunity to store it ahead of time so you don't lose it). This means your magic users pull extra duty, as starting off they are the bulk of your offense. While you usually can gear up in mid-range gear pretty quickly, you will notice the fact that your AC is worse by about 10 points compared to what it was beforehand. On top of this, these realms are objectively harder than the preceding dungeon. This is where the game's difficulty starts to take a nasty turn. The first one isn't so bad; it's short and the enemies are pedestrian at this point. The next two are longer, and the enemies are a pain in the ass. One realm is nothing but casters who are highly resistant to magic. The other realm is a bunch of giant blobs that are immune to most magic, resist physical, and can poison or stone your characters (both instant death). And these realms have their own overworld components, with at least one area required before you can do the final "castle" of each one. That said, the last of the three is an amazing concept; the realm is the body of a sleeping god, so you get to dive into his ear, brain, and heart. And if you thought you get rewarded for all of this by getting to use your pimp gear for the end, guess again. Yup, another private realm (though it's short).

The game also tosses in a ton of references to the previous three games. You'll run into a bunch of old companions, and there's numerous callbacks. It really is intended to be a wrap up of everything, and that's why it's a shame that it falls flat in terms of combat. The actual exploration and story are both quite good, and I enjoyed the dungeon design. But high level AD&D sucks. This game would have been amazing if it was a level 6-12 campaign.

Ah well, I'm glad I finished. Now on to the two Savage Frontier games, which bring us back to a 1-6 and 6-12 set of games, so I'm back in the zone of the fun part of AD&D rules. I'm going to try making a big bet on myself and going for the sextuple magic user dual class; I still haven't decided if I go rangers or fighters for my base. If I do fighters I can get my 3/2 attacks and dual in Gateway, but I won't get my fighter abilities back until Treasures. If I do rangers then I have to wait until Treasures to do the first dual. Rangers do have the benefit of being able to cast in armor.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Return to General Gaming