Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by pook99 »

20. Mega man network transmission (gamecube)
21. Aladin(master system)
22. Rastan (master system)
23. Kung fu kid(master system)
24. Alex Kidd in Shinobi world (master system)
25. GI Joe (nes)
26. Sonic Chaos (master system)
27. Double Dragon(nes)
28. Dick Tracy (genesis)
29. Mega man 2(nes)
30. Final Fight (snes)

I went on a bit of a master system kick, I am of the opinion that master system as a whole is a trash system with mostly trash games. I will randomnly have a day when I decide to try a bunch of games trying to find one that is decent and generally when I am done with that day my opinion of the master system being trash remains intact. This time was no different. The games I completed were mostly boring, mundane, and a complete slog to play through. The one exception to this was Kung-fu Kid.

Kung-fu Kid plays a lot like King fu on NES, the core of the game is the same, you walk, enemies rush you and you kick them away as you progress towards a boss. Just about everything about this game is done better than Kung Fu though. There are more levels, the levels are longer, the level design is more creative and includes secrets, the bosses are more distinct and fun to fight, it is more challenging, and you even get a limited use projectile weapon.

As a big fan of Kung fu, this game was a pleasant surprise and fans of Kung fu should definitely check it out. The only flaw in the game is an exploit I discovered on the last level which makes the game a breeze if you choose to use it. There can only be 3 enemies on screen at once, if you jump over enemies they will turn to follow you, so if you jump over enemies and get 3 of them behind you, then you can just walk to the end of the level and not have to fight anyone except those 3 enemies and the final boss. I was on my last life when I arrived at the last stage and used this cheese tactic to make it to the end, luckily the last boss was pretty easy.

28. Dick Tracy(genesis): What a mixed bag, this game was one of the best and worst games I have played in a long time.

The vast majority of the levels are side scrolling shooters, it feels very similar to rolling thunder or codename: viper if you have played either of them. There is a twist though, enemies come in the background and shoot at you from there. You can fire in the background by pressing the C button and free aiming with a tommy gun. It is a unique twist to the tride and true shooter formula, and it is a huge rush having enemies coming at you from literally everywhere as you try and shoot them and doge their fire. These levels are golden and some of the most fun and unique I have ever played.

There are also car levels scattered throughout, these levels have you standing on the outside of the passenger window and shooting at thugs in cars as they drive by trying to shoot you, you can hop over bullets or duck behind the car to avoid high bullets all while having to shoot cars in front of you, behind you, and in the background. These levels are as fun as the side scrolling levels and really keep your adrenaline pumping as your life is low and you know the end of the level is approaching.

Each of the 6 worlds ends with a boss fight. These levels have one of Tracy''s many villains running around the background of the stages shooting at you while other thugs attack to take you down. Each boss has unique attacks and are a ton of fun to fight.

If the game consisted of just those 3 types of levels Dick Tracy would be one of my new favorite games. Unfortunately there is a 3rd type of level which is atrociously boring and amazingly hard. Randomnly sprinkled throughout the game are levels where, for one obtuse reason or another, Tracy can't use his gun, and is forced to punch his way through the levels. The only way to beat most of these levels is to completely memorize the level, and cheese the A.I., this is done by slowly creeping forward, luring enemies back, punching them in the crotch, and repeating. These levels are atrocious and really bring down the game, they are also considerably harder than the shooting levels, but for all the wrong reasons.

I did enjoy my time with Dick Tracy, but I am unsure if I will ever revisit the game, the vast majority of the game is so incredibly well done that I question how other games never tried to use the same mechanic, but the punching levels are so horrific that I don't know that the joy of the rest of the game is worth suffering through those again.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

1) Legendary Axe II (TG16) (6.0) (1/1) (2.5 hours)
2) The Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse (SNES) (7.5) (1/3) (1.5 hours)
3) Tiny Toon Adventures: Buster Busts Loose! (SNES) (6.5) (1/3) (2.5 hours)
4) The Adventures of Batman & Robin (SNES) (7.0) (1/4) (2.5 hours)
5) The Great Circus Mystery Starring Mickey & Minney (7.5) (1/6) (1.5 hours)
6) Phantom 2040 (SNES) (7.0) (1/9) (9 hours?)
7) Batman: Return of the Joker (NES) (8.0) (1/10) (0.5 hours)
8) Super Street Fighter II: The New Challengers (SNES) (8.0) (1/15) (0.5 hours)
9) F-Zero (SNES) (7.5) (1/16) (1 hour)
10) Star Fox (SNES) (7.0) (1/17) (1 hour)
11) Marvel Super Heroes in War of the Gems (SNES) (8.0) (1/17) (1 hour)
12) Saturday Night Slam Masters (SNES) (7.0) (1/20) (1 hour)
13) Shinobi (GG) (7.0) (1/22) (2 hours)
14) Iconoclasts (PC) (9.0) (1/27) (11 hours)

Yeah, Iconoclasts turned out quite well. Good on Mr. Sandberg to get this puppy out after seven years.

For folks that might not know, Joakim Sandberg is the sole creator of this game. He's worked on other games for WayForward before, like Contra 4 and Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, as an animator. He's got some serious skills, because the game is gorgeous.

Really, the nuts and bolts gameplay (ohoho, see what I did there) consist of using your various weapons and wrench to progress through areas, somewhat Metroidvania-style. The game feels more akin to something like Monster World, though, in that while there is some poking around for treasures, you're not constantly mining for upgrades like Metroid or sitting there leveling up and getting new equipment all the time like Castlevania. Many rooms present puzzles, not unlike Zelda's dungeons, just presented within a 2D platformer context. Figuring out where to go, and how to get there, is where the fun is.

And again, man, does this game look good. Combat feels excellent as well, with some really slick bosses that require a lot more than just blasting away. Make no mistake, there is blasting, but you also have to suss out weak points, making them often puzzles as well.

The treasures you do unearth are used to craft upgrades, but they're not terribly necessary. Somewhat useful, but not necessary to beat the game. Depending on your point of view, this could be a good or bad thing.

I really don't want to get into the story, no sense in spoiling things. I think the way things are presented is done extremely well, unraveling the mysteries of this world a bit at a time. I do have some quibbles with some ambiguity with a particular character, and a big quibble with just how dark the game gets. The game sports a bouncy art style, sure, but there's some seriously messed up stuff. There's also a bit of an anti-religion element to the game (which, in context, makes sense, and seriously, look at the game's name!), but strangely it didn't turn out too overbearing.

Overall, this might be one of the best puzzle platformers to come out in recent memory. It ascends to the heights of Owlboy's presentation, but also happens to be a lot more fun to play. Highly recommended.
Last edited by Sarge on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I’ve had my eye on that one- thanks for the review!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

dsheinem wrote:I’ve had my eye on that one- thanks for the review!

Oooooh, same! Definitely going on my list now! :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

Thanks for the review of iconoclasts, it looks like a game I would enjoy but probably wont buy it until its on sale due to huge backlog.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Ducktales: Remastered (360)
2. Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One)
3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram (Xbox One)

My wife and I co-oped the anniversary event which is effectively a remake of the sixteen levels from the first Diablo, pixelated graphics and all. The event is only available in January, so time is running out if you're interested. We made fresh characters just to play through the first Diablo campaign fresh. It was a good time.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

noiseredux wrote:3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram (Xbox One)

My wife and I co-oped the anniversary event which is effectively a remake of the sixteen levels from the first Diablo, pixelated graphics and all. The event is only available in January, so time is running out if you're interested. We made fresh characters just to play through the first Diablo campaign fresh. It was a good time.

Oh, shit. i didn't know they were taking this away. I never finished regular Diablo 1 and I thought this would be a good chance to try to play through that story again but through the eyes of a game I adore (Diablo 3). About how long does it take to play through?
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2018

Darkwing Duck - NES (PS4)
DuckTales - NES (PS4)
DuckTales 2 - NES (PS4)
Talespin - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES (PS4)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
The Heart of Dark - PS1 (Vita)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
Caligo - PC
Tomb Raider (2013) - X1*new*

Total: 11

I had tried to play this years ago on PC and hit some glitches that made it unpassable after a couple of hours. I wanted to give it another go (and soon the sequel, which I hear is better).

It was ok. There are moments of brilliance, but too much of it feels like a watered-down Uncharted game. Compared to that series (with the possible exception of the first game), in Tomb Raider the shooting feels worse, the platforming more by-the-numbers, and the puzzles are more intrusive to the flow of gameplay. The story was pretty shit, too, in comparison.

That said, there are moments - especially in the last 1/3 or so, where the game really hits its stride and manages to impress as its own thing. I think you spend way too long leveling Lara up to the point where her stuff actually becomes fun to use in various ways...but once you get there the game finally finds a lot of fluidity, it offers a more consistent challenge, and the story comes into clearer focus as something that is at least kind of interesting.

I fear it sounds like I am slagging on this game - and I am not, really...in fact I quite liked it and the time I spent with it enough that I want to play the sequel sooner rather than later. I just think, at this point at least, it feels like a so-so version of its superior influences.

Previously: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
Last edited by dsheinem on Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 12
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24

12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24

When I played the first Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers game the other day, I wasn't as impressed with the game as I'd hoped or expected to be, so I really wasn't sure what to expect going into the sequel. Is it going to be more of the same? More of mostly the same but more polished? A redirection? The last option would be ideal in my opinion, and while that wasn't the case, it did at least do what Duck Tales 2 did; it took the gameplay and formula from the first game and just made it better.

ImageImage

In terms of visuals and sound, the everything is pretty much identical to the first game. Same music, same sprites, same animations for the most part. It seem that there's less noticeable flicker on the sprites in this game which was a nice improvement, but by and large, the look is the same. The feel is where some improvements begin to be noticeable. Everything from jumping to throwing projectiles at enemies feels just a bit tighter and more refined. That may be placebo effect - it's a sequel, so I expect it to be better - but regardless of the reason, I did feel as if I had some better control in this game, leading to an overall more enjoyable experience.

ImageImage

I also found the level design to be markedly improved here. While the levels are still significantly shorter, more straightforward, and more numerous than those in Duck Tales, there did seem to be a bit more depth and thought put into the levels in Rescue Rangers 2 than in the first game; some vertical movement thrown in to spice up the otherwise left-to-right level design as well as having levels broken into a few different screens to keep things somewhat interesting. The boss battles felt as if a lot more care had been put into their development as well. Instead of having a red ball just magically there for you to throw at bosses, you had to dodge boss attacks until one ended up providing you with a projectile to pick up and throw. The boss attack patters felt a bit easier to dodge than in the first game, but because you had to wait for a weapon to throw, it gave the bosses a feel of being a challenge rather than just "hard."

ImageImage

Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 definitely features a range of subtle improvements over the first game while maintaining the look, sound, and overall feel of its predecessor. These improvements, however, definitely mark it as a much superior game to the first Rescue Rangers. I still wasn't enthralled with the game overall - give me either Duck Tales game, please - but this was a welcome step in the right direction and much more enjoyable experience for me than the previous game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram (Xbox One)

Oh, shit. i didn't know they were taking this away. I never finished regular Diablo 1 and I thought this would be a good chance to try to play through that story again but through the eyes of a game I adore (Diablo 3). About how long does it take to play through?

We played leisurely and hit some of the side quest stuff and banged it out in like 3 hrs or so.

We did kind of rush the last quarter of levels too though.