Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by marurun »

Space Channel 5 is also something you're gonna wanna play on a CRT. The timings on that game are pretty tight, and any lag is going to kill it.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

marurun wrote:Space Channel 5 is also something you're gonna wanna play on a CRT. The timings on that game are pretty tight, and any lag is going to kill it.

This is truth. Space channel 5 is unforgiving, and it just takes a little time to get used to. When I first played I was the absolute worst at it and never beat the first level. Now I can easily get to the asteroid stage and from there.... it is a challenge!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:
marurun wrote:Space Channel 5 is also something you're gonna wanna play on a CRT. The timings on that game are pretty tight, and any lag is going to kill it.

This is truth. Space channel 5 is unforgiving, and it just takes a little time to get used to. When I first played I was the absolute worst at it and never beat the first level. Now I can easily get to the asteroid stage and from there.... it is a challenge!

Trust me, my 28 Inch Sony Trinitron did not help me in Space Channel 5. :lol:

The tight timing was throwing me off. I felt like I was hitting it when the game was not registering that I was hitting it. Also, I am terribly at memorizing...anything. So, since the game is basically Simon or Memory, I was even worse at it.

I gave it a shot, but it was not for me.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

Yeah, I first played Space Channel 5 on a CRT, and was not good at it at all. I eventually beat it on that same CRT TV, but I had to really train my rhythm to effectively play SP5, and Samba de Amigo. I'm really not sure if I was actually as rhythmic before playing rhythm games--or maybe it just took 12 years or so to really gain my rhythm.

Anyway, I've loved Space Channel 5 ever since I first played it, and Space Channel 5 Part 2 is one of the greatest games ever; It is almost perfect. I will say, that I played the Japanese Dreamcast version of the first game, something like a year ago, and it was chock full of slowdown, and dropped frames, so that caused a lot of input issues. I've beaten the US DC and PS2 versions 100% before, and I believe I still at least came close to hitting 100% viewership this last time, but I honestly don't remember if the slowdown was a thing in the US DC version, and I never actually went back to it to check it out.

While I'm a little sad you didn't get into Space Channel 5, Markies, I would still highly recommend tracking down Space Channel 5 Part 2. The first game is great as a historical piece, but the sequel is so tremendously better, and no one should go without playing it.

Also, I sank a ton of time into Hydro Thunder, and loved it. Not quite at first, though. It really requires learning the techniques that are not taught at all by the game, but honing the skills necessary to complete the higher difficulty tracks is really rewarding.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21-40

41. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Expansion Pass DLC (Switch)
42. Battle Block Theater (Xbox 360) *
43. Magicka (Steam) *
44. La-Mulana 2 (Steam)
45. Yooka-Laylee (Steam)
46. Snipper-Clips: Cut it Out Together! (Switch)

47. Magicka: Dungeons and Gargoyles (Steam)

I had not one but TWO gaming friends over as a bit of a surprise last night, and since they're my friends who both like playing Magicka 2, we tried out Magicka 1 at the insistence of my friend I attempted to play it with last time. This review is going to act like more of an addendum to my other Magicka review, because the game still has all the mechanical and crashing problems that it's always had.

The thing I thought most worth mentioning about this DLC was that when I tried it before solo, it was basically impossible. However with two other people (only one of which really knew what she was doing, mind you), absolutely PLOWED through this thing in less than an hour before the game could even crash on us once. We only ever got one game over even! I don't know why I didn't see it before, but Magicka 1 is very much a game with the Borderlands 2 problem. The game is really REALLY heavily designed around the assumption that you will always be playing co-op. As a result, there are some bosses that are effectively impossible to beat solo because they assume that the player will have another player to kite their attention while another player smashes them in the face. Otherwise the boss has virtually no downtime and is a far, FAR more difficult fight to get through. Granted, Magicka is still a buggy mess, so the more players you have online make it that many more times likely to crash in the middle of the stage while you're playing it because the netcode also sucks.

Verdict: (still) Hesitantly Recommended.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC
21. Battletech - PC
22. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part I - PC
23. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part II - PC
24. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch
25. Pillars of Eternity II - PC
26. Dragon Ball FighterZ - PS4
27. Detroit: Become Human - PC4
28. Call of Duty: United Offensive - PC
29. The Last of Us - PS4
30. The Last of Us: Left Behind - PS4
31. Prey: Mooncrash - PC
32. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4
33. Resident Evil 7 - PC
34. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero - PC
35. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War III - PC
36. Overwhelm - PC
37. Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation - PC
38. Hard Reset Redux - PC
39. Nier: Automata - PS4
40. Darksiders - PC
41. The Banner Saga 3 - PC
42. Guacamelee! 2 - PC
43. Spider-Man - PS4
44. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC

Shadow of the Tomb Raider wraps up the story of Lara Croft that has been told in the reboot, and ends with her emotionally healthy and with no dangling threads. So they're free to either let it end or create more games, as she still wants to go explore shit. Unfortunately, the game doesn't quite live up to Rise of the Tomb Raider, which I feel is the best of the trilogy.

Shadow sees us with a seasoned Lara who has spent a lot of time trying to defeat the plans of Trinity, the secret society that showed up with its fingers in the previous games. Here they take the forefront, as the leader's plans are what drives the main plot of trying to stop an apocalypse that may or may not actually be a thing; the game straddles the line between prophetic coincidence and actual supernatural stuff, like the previous two games. The story has some points that stick out a bit in my mind as I think about it, but all those points are because I took the time to read through the descriptions of the collectables. The main story, if you just do it, doesn't have this issue (though it still has the elements that also exist in the descriptions that gets my mind thinking). It does the job of getting you to go from place to place and handle the fact that you're not going to thwart things before the climax, and there's a great scene later in the game where Lara gets pissed; I think it outdoes the scene in the first game where she gets the grenade launcher.

This game dials back on the Metroidvania progression elements from the first two. They decide to not have another contrived "oh shit, you lost all your gear AGAIN" thing. You start off basically as traversal capable as you were in the previous game, minus the rope ascender. There are a handful of abilities you will gain through the story. You need a shotgun to get through certain barriers, the rope ascender to break down certain reinforced rope pull barriers, a better knife to cut through certain barriers, and you gain some cleats that let you climb under overhangs. The latter is particularly egregious in terms of that you get it during a story mission, and then overhangs don't show up until after that story mission. So it doesn't actually gate anything; a missed opportunity. The three barrier types only prevent you from going into a treasure room; they don't gate access to crypts or challenge tombs. So you can mostly clear out an area when you first enter it, and there's no hub that you criss cross through like Rise had.

The main addition to the game is that there are three areas that have towns in them. Two of them are small with an attached tomb or two, and one is large with several attached adventure areas. The towns allow for commerce and side quests. The side quests in the large town also show some design flaws; you have to get near to a quest giver for you to know they are a quest giver, this might require you to be in the right outfit (as part of the story you will have multiple outfits which are used as disguises), and the city is large enough and criss cross enough that you will likely miss a few of these without a guide. Personally, I don't think it really added much to the game; I play Tomb Raider for the whole wilderness exploration thing.

The traversal is still fun, and there's some good challenge tombs in place, so the main gameplay loop is fun. But I think Rise was still the best of the three.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
14. Super Turrican* (SNES)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2* (SNES)
16. Super Turrican 2* (SNES)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
18. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
19. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 2: DualShock* [Claire A/Leon B] (PSX)
21. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
22. Resident Evil HD* (PS4) [PLATINUM]
23. Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares* (PS4)
24. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition* (PS4) [Vergil]
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
26. Nioh (PS4)
27. Super Mario Bros 3Mix (NES Romhack)
28. Yakuza 6 (PS4)
29. Metroid: Rogue Dawn (NES Romhack)
30. Front Mission: Gun Hazard (SNES)
31. Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB)
32. The Guardian Legend (NES)
33. Brain Lord (SNES)
34. Assault Suits Valken (SNES)
35. Black Mesa (PC) [May2018]
36. Super Metroid Randomizer [C5708009]
37. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC)
38. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Arcade)
39. Captain Commando (Arcade)
40. Fallout: New Vegas* (PC)
41. The Punisher (Arcade)
42. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
43. TMNT: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
44. Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder (Arcade)
45. Golden Axe (Arcade)
46. Undercover Cops (Arcade)
47. X-Men (Arcade)
48. Double Dragon (Arcade)
49. Final Fight* (Arcade)
50. Battletoads* (Arcade)
51. Mega Man ZX Advent (DS)
52. TMNT III: The Manhattan Project* (NES)
53. Mega Man Zero* (DS) [MMZC]
54. Mega Man Zero 2* (DS) [MMZC]
55. Mega Man Zero 3* (DS) [MMZC]
56. Mega Man Zero 4* (DS) [MMZC]
57. Shadow Hearts (PS2)
58. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time* (3DS)
59. Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders (PC)
60. Doom 2: Hellbound (PC) [12hr][Complex|HMP]
61. Doom 2: Sawdust (PC) [50m][UV]
62. Mega Man X* (PS4) [MMXLC]
63. Mega Man X2* (PS4) [MMXLC]
63. Mega Man X3* (PS4) [MMXLC]
64. Mega Man X4* (PS4) [MMXLC]
65. Doom 2: Back to Saturn X EP1 (PC) [7hr][Complex|UV]
66. Mega Man X5* (PS4) [MMXLC]
67. Mega Man X6* (PS4) [MMXLC]
68. Doom 2: Back to Saturn X EP2 (PC) [7h30m][Complex|HMP]
69. Doom 2: Plutonia 2 (PC) [8h23m][UV]
70. Doom 2: Lunatic (PC) [45m][UV]
71. Doom 2: Japanese Community Project (PC) [5h57m][Complex|HMP]
72. Resident Evil 3* (PSX)
73. Dragon Quest V (DS)
74. Koudelka (PSX)
75. Doom (PSX)
76. Final Doom (PSX)

* = replay

Knocked out Final Doom (PSX), only took 5h25min.

Bit of a novelty compared to the first one for PSX. Here, you only got 30 maps when the first is Ultimate Doom + Doom 2 with a mix of 54 main maps and several secret, so this is like half the content. Also the Master Levels take up 13 of the 30 here and I won't say those maps sucked, but I quickly realized all of them were designed with co-op purely in mind. Every single hallway/room is mirrored for two different parallel sides to each area of the maps basically. Probably had the idea that each player would take separate paths, but when they're basically the exact same it's kind of lame playing solo. TNT takes up 11 maps and it was missing some of my favorites. Then there's only 6 maps from Plutonia... fittingly for the end but most of the maps were early ones, Onslaught being the finale which just felt... awkward. Also the Doom PSX/64 versions have some pretty cool minimal atmospheric tunes, but for whatever reason Final Doom PSX goes even more minimal to the point of boredom, good thing I had some streams up on the side while playing through this, guess I could have blasted my own music anyways.

Weird final map huh? Just doesn't feel right. The flow of maps was discombobulated a bit to say the least. And listen closely, maybe you'll hear an instrument or two?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIge3BES9Sc

Okay if you want more PSX Doom, maybe it was cool at the time, but nothing too special with how cut up the TNT/Plutonia content is.
MrHealthy
Next-Gen

Post by MrHealthy »

February
1. Metal Slug 3 (Vita)

March
2. My Name is Mayo (PS4) Replay
3. The Walking Dead (Vita) Replay

April
4. Killzone Mercenary (Vita)
5. Rivals of Aether (PC)

May
6. Metroid Samus Returns (3DS)
7. Pokemon White (DS) Replay
8. Mirrors Edge Catalyst (PC)
9. Consortium (PC)
10. Mass Effect 3: Citadel (PC)
11. Mass Effect 3: Omega (PC)
12. Mass Effect 3: Leviathan (PC)

June
13. Need for Speed: The Run (PC)
14. Tomb Raider 2013 (PC)
15. CounterSpy (PS4) Replay
16. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4)
17. Call of Duty World War 2 (PS4)
18. inFamous Second Son (PS4)

July
19. inFamous First Light (PS4)
20. Journey (PS4) Replay
21. Titan Souls (PS4 / Vita)
22. The Unfinished Swan (PS4) Replay
23. Deliriant (PS4)
24. The Order: 1886 (PS4)
25. LittleBigPlanet: Metal Gear Solid Level Kit (PS3)
26. LittleBigPlanet: Pirates of the Caribbean Level Kit (PS3)
27. Dragon Age Origins: The Golems of Amgarrak (PS3)
28. Dragon Age Origins: Witch Hunt (PS3)
29. Shütshimi (Vita)

August
30. God of War (PS4)
31. Super Stardust Ultra (PS4)
32. Fat Princess Adventures (PS4)
33. Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds (Vita) Replay
34. Reverie (Vita)
35. A King's Tale: Final Fantasy XV (PS4)

September
36. Blasting Agent: Ultimate Edition (Vita) NEW
37. Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut (PS3) Replay NEW
38. King Oddball (Vita) NEW
39. Toybox Turbos (PS3) NEW
40. Critter Crunch (PS3) Replay NEW

I have mostly been playing multiplayer battlefield but I have been plugging away at some games for my trophy hunting habits.

Blasting Agent was a fun little run and gun, worth the cheap cost of admission. Figuring out how to beat the game with the melee only karate agent on a second play through was a great way to mix up the game.

Q.U.B.E I originally played on PC but since it was free with plus I decided to do a run through for the trophies, but man was this game not designed for console, or at the very least I have difficulty with narrow fields of view nowadays. The time trial mode is also glitched for me preventing me from getting the last trophy, which sucks but its time to move on. GEt it on PC if it interests you, skip the console version.

King Oddball is bad. The physics are just so inconsistent, I would do the same toss several times and would get 3+ different results. Just made it more frustrating then fun, but it was something I was just playing while I cooked, or watched some shows so I got through it eventually. Would not recommend though.

I love top down racers, so Toybox Turbos was a no brain-er when it was on sale recently. Was great fun, I blasted through it across 2 sessions. It does not do anything new really with the genre, but its well polished. You get exactly what you would expect, if you like top down racers its worth a look.

Critter Crunch is the kind of action puzzle game I always look back on fondly. I consider it a hidden gem of the PS3 generation. It is also available on PC/Mac if that's your jam, runs well on both. Plays similar to Magical Drop, but with a fun cartoon, nature show aesthetic. It has a great ammount of content, 46 adventure levels offering standard gameplay, 55 challenge levels with specific goals to complete, 100 puzzle levels where you have limited moves to clear a board or all critters, as well as an endless survival mode. I was hoping to mop up the last few trophies I need to 100% this, but challenge 53 is just a bit beyond my abilities, so like Q.U.B.E this will remain 1 trophy shy of 100%. Absolutely recommended, if I were to make a list of my 100 favourite games, this would be somewhere in the top 50 most likely.

As for what I am playing now, picked up Battlefield 1 recently, not liking the multiplayer in this one, but the single player war stories is fun. I also started Furmins on my Vita. Hard to believe that this game was made by Housemarque.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Games Beaten January thru August:
January:

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSi ware)

February:

Roundabout (PS4)
Pocket Fighter (PSX)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Batman Arkham VR(PSVR)

March:

Gundam Versus (PS4)

April:

Batman: The Enemy Within (PS4)
Megaman 9 (PS4)
Megaman 10 (PS4)

May:

The Legend of Zelda: BotW (Switch)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS4)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA/WiiU)

June:

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Switch)
Megaman (Switch)
Megaman 2 (Switch)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS4)
Ikaruga (Switch)
Batman: Tell Tale Series (Switch)
Gunbird (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
Caladrius Blaze (PS4)

July:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (PS3)
Street Fighter (PS4)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (PS4)
Megaman X (PS4)
Megaman X4 (PS4)
Super Mario World (SNES Classic)

August:

Mario Kart Wii (Wii)
Megaman X2 (PS4)

September:

SNK Gals Fighter (NGPC)
SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy (Switch)
Super Mario Bros (NES Switch Online)
Super Mario Bros 3 (NES Switch Online)

This was actually my first time beating the NES version of Super Mario Bros. Previously, I'd only beaten it on the Super Mario All-Stars collection. I beat it the first evening that NES was available on the Switch Online service - and I was completely hammered. My favorite moment in beating this game isn't even the playing of it (though that was super fun, too) but when Partridge asked me on the Slack channel "How did you get through the World 8-4 Maze drunk?"

To which I replied "There was a maze?"

I also, this evening, beat Super Mario Bros 3. Pretty fantastic game and it plays like a dream on the Switch. I alternated between the joy con and pro controller but the lack of true D-pad on the joy con made it hard to play with accuracy. Sober this time. Of course, the moment I see Bowser at the end all I can think of are all of the Bowsette memes but that's a post for a different forum.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Saw Bowsette for the first time last night...... Dunno what to think. Certainly not as sexy as Waluigi.