1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
23. Arcade Archives: Ninja-Kid (Switch eShop)
24. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
25. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom (Switch eShop)
26. Front Line (Atari 2600)
27. Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
29. Exerion (Famicom)
30. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes (Switch eShop)
31. Arcade Archives: Double Dragon (Switch eShop)
32. ACA NeoGeo: Ninja Combat (Switch eShop)
33. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Wizard Fire (Switch eShop)
34. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Game Boy)
35. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
36. Grand Master (Famicom)
37. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Sly Spy (Switch eShop)
38. ACA NeoGeo: Top Hunter Roddy & Cathy (Switch eShop)
39. ACA NeoGeo: Shock Troopers (Switch eShop)
40. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
41. Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest (SNES)
42. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble! (SNES)
43. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
44. New Super Mario Bros. (DS)
45. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
46. - 52. Metal Slug Anthology (PSP)
53. Gorf (Atari 2600)
54. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
55. Mario Bros. (NES)
56. Balloon Kid (Game Boy)
57. Esper Dream (Famicom Disk System)
58. Arcade Archives: Traverse USA (Switch eShop)
59. Kouryu Densetsu Villgust (Super Famicom)
60. King Kong (Atari 2600)
61. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
62. Donkey Kong Junior (Atari 2600)
63. Sukeban Deka II: Shoujo Tekkamen Densetsu (Mark III)
64. The Lost Vikings (SNES)

65. Trouble Witches Origin - Episode1 Daughters of Amalgam - (Steam)
I'm not intimately acquainted with the modern shmup scene, but from what I can tell the Trouble Witches "series" basically consists of a single game that's been retooled many times. First came the original doujin (Japanese indie) PC game (developed by a group called Studio SiestA), then an arcade port by Taito. Following this was a remake available on the Xbox Live Arcade store, which has since be delisted -- the perils of a digital gaming future! Now, the only practical way to experience Trouble Witches is to grab it on Steam; this particular variation is known as Trouble Witches Origin - Episode1 Daughters of Amalgam - (yes, with that punctuation and spacing, I'm just gonna call it Trouble Witches Origin). There are multiple modes of play available, though I found the first two perfectly sufficient. Arcade and Story mode are self-explanatory, with the latter simply inserting cutscenes between each level and before boss battles. The "AC" mode is, I believe, based off an older iteration of the game, while the Challenge mode is presumably for people who are actually good at shooters. There's also a nice text-based tutorial which teaches the basics of the game in about thirty seconds or so.

What first attracted me to Trouble Witches was its superficial similarities to Cave's (excellent) Deathsmiles. With original release dates of 2007, both games are horizontal bullet hell shooters starring a posse of young witch girls. Where Cave went for a darker Gothic approach, Trouble Witches is bright, bold, and incredibly silly. The character designs are flat-out ridiculous, in terms of both proportion and choice of attire, but rather pleasing to the eye. I chose to play as Pril, a blonde witch with a big floppy hat. She seems to be something of a "main character" from what I can tell. There are some DLC characters as well, including the eponymous heroine of the old Cotton series. The "story" - should you choose to view the cutscenes - is rather atrocious. The witches themselves are charming, and the (Japanese) voice-acting is superb, but the sheer amount of dialogue is comically absurd and the overall plot largely incoherent.
On to the actual gameplay. Now, I'm no connoisseur of bullet hells, so I can't be entirely sure how this one holds up against its peers in terms of originality and overall quality. I will say this: what I personally experienced was quite compelling and fun. Each playable character differs slightly in terms of weaponry and speed. The witches also have their own familiars -- Pril is teamed up with a cat (who's annoyingly "sassy" in the Story mode) who provides some additional firepower. Pril's wand has autofire capabilities, but there's a catch. Defeated enemies explode into a flurry of money, which will immediately drop off-screen if the attack button continues to be held. Laying off the fire momentarily will instead cause coins to home in on Pril, and collecting said currency is absolutely essential.

Each lengthy stage contains a few shops, held in a floating pumpkin and staffed by a young gal wearing a pumpkin on her head. (If this sounds familiar, it's a clear homage to the TurboGrafx-16 cute-witch shooter Magical Chase -- check that one out if you have a few thousand dollars laying around). I generally dislike shops in my shmups, including this one, as they tend to awkwardly break up streams of frantic action. The special powers that can be obtained are pretty swell, though, including weapon upgrades, screen-clearing meteors, and life/magic increases. Anything purchased in a shop is stored as a "card" which isn't activated automatically but can be stored until a pertinent time. Like virtually all shmups, the objective of Trouble Witches Origin is to shoot (haha) for a high score. This is where the special weapons come into play. Any enemy destroyed by them will yield star coins, which are cashed in for mega-points when a stage concludes. A star coin total is stored separately from overall points, and losing a life will slice off a large percentage of total coins accumulated.

Bombs. Most shmups seem to have them. You can save 'em for the bosses or do what I do: panic fifteen seconds into stage one and commence the bombing. Trouble Witches Origin has no bombs. Instead we have something much cooler, a magical circle. This mystical device can be activated and canceled at will, lasts for a limited amount of time (MP meter), but will regenerate another charge over time. The circle serves a couple of purposes: it slows down time and sucks (most) hostile bullets into the circle's edges. If you capture enemy bullets and then shoot whatever enemy fired them, said bullets will be transformed into coins. But this carries tremendous risk. Run out of MP and the circle suddenly vanishes, which can potentially cause dozens of captured bullets to proceed in a straightforward path. Worse, if a witch captures bullets but fails to defeat the foe that fired them, the bullets will turn into yellow homing missiles. All said, the circle is a brilliant mechanic, a clever way to maximize score, and the regenerating component allows it to be utilized persistently.
Game visuals are mixed. Sprites are clean and cartoony, as the stage backgrounds. Levels are a bit cliché and seemingly elemental based (ice, fire, etc.) but are generally pretty to look at. That is, until the last few stages where the developers apparently ran out of ideas. The game's concluding "temples" are undeniably dull and constructed from rote copy-paste 3D backdrops. Music is merely serviceable, and generally difficult to hear.

Bosses are huge, tough, and impressive, with their grand "introductions" perhaps the highlight of the entire Trouble Witches experience. Most can only be damaged periodically, when a specific weak point is revealed, which can occasionally drag out some fights. The trend is bucked for the final boss confrontation, which is more of an all-out bullet volley. Overall game difficulty is high but "fair" (I played on Normal mode) and the game allows for infinite continues (otherwise you wouldn't be reading this review). Of course, anyone hoping to climb those leaderboards will have to shoot for a 1CC with maximized score via clever magic circle and special weapon use. Normal enemies are typically one-shot-kills, it's the sheer number of on-screen sprites that complicates things.

I went into this one with no real expectations, but ended up enjoying myself. It's quirky, intelligent, with intuitive mechanics. A true sequel has been stuck in developmental hell for years now; hopefully it one day surfaces.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Still catching up to reviews ha...

10/27: Blue Reflection (PS4)
As a big fan of a majority of Gust’s games, it was only a matter of time before I would get to this game. I had heard a lot of good things about this one, so I was very excited to play it. While I think this game would only appeal to a select number of people here, thankfully I was not at all disappointed!

The plot and battle systems are fairly standard for JRPGs. Bad stuff happens, high school girl has to transform into a magical girl and kick the monsters butt in a strange world via easy turn-based battles. When they aren’t dealing with monsters, they have to deal with high school drama and other minor shenanigans. While there isn’t much to the plot and battle system, the meat of the game is the relationships between the main character and her classmates. The main way you power up in Blue Reflection is spending time with your classmates, and the game heavily encourages you spending a lot of time with them and helping them out with minor tasks. In fact, at regular intervals the game will require your character to be at a certain level, which means you must interact with the classmates. If you don’t like anime visual novelly type stuff, you won’t like this one bit. However, I really like this sort of thing and I found that the characters were interesting and fun to talk to. These parts of the game were my favourite, although I certainly had fun with the battles as well (and I didn’t mind that they were simple and easy).

For some other positive things, I also really liked the visuals. The visuals aren’t probably anything special when compared to some more AAA games, but there were certain environments in the game where I consistently slowly wandered around in just to look at some more. As an example, the school hallways have this nice sunlight coming through the windows that looks super good.

The music was another thing that I really enjoyed, which was not surprising to me at all since I normally love Gust’s soundtracks. It’s definitely different from a lot of other game soundtrack I’ve heard, as it mixes a lot of more traditional sounding instruments (mostly piano and string instruments) with heavy electronic sounding bits. Some pieces have almost dubstep vibes to them? It’s really hard for me to describe, but they were still great to listen to.

As far as negative things go, other than the slow nature of a relationship focused game (which is not something I mind but I think a lot of people might not like), the big negative I can think of is that the localization is a little sloppy. There are defiantly a bunch of spelling and grammar issues here. The biggest example of this is translating the X button’s function as “Options” instead of a “Next” (in visual novel sections) or an “Accept” (in menus). I’m not really sure how that happened, but these sorts of small localization issues are all throughout Blue Reflection, and that’s a bit disappointing.

So overall, I really enjoyed Blue Reflection. I’d really recommend it to anyone who’s into more chill JRPGs and doesn’t mind some reading and high school shenanigans.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC
21. Battletech - PC
22. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part I - PC
23. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part II - PC
24. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch
25. Pillars of Eternity II - PC
26. Dragon Ball FighterZ - PS4
27. Detroit: Become Human - PC4
28. Call of Duty: United Offensive - PC
29. The Last of Us - PS4
30. The Last of Us: Left Behind - PS4
31. Prey: Mooncrash - PC
32. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4
33. Resident Evil 7 - PC
34. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero - PC
35. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War III - PC
36. Overwhelm - PC
37. Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation - PC
38. Hard Reset Redux - PC
39. Nier: Automata - PS4
40. Darksiders - PC
41. The Banner Saga 3 - PC
42. Guacamelee! 2 - PC
43. Spider-Man - PS4
44. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC
45. Star Control Origins - PC
46. Valkyria Chronicles 4 - PS4
47. The Messenger - Switch
48. Dragon Quest XI - PS4
49. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - PC
50. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 - PC

51. Legacy of Kain: Defiance - PC
52. Iconoclasts - PC
53. Slain: Back From Hell - PC
54. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - N64
55. Warcraft II - PC
56. Kolibri - 32X

Kolibri is, without a doubt, the finest hummingbird-based shmup on the 32X. It is made by the same people who made the Ecco games, and it definitely shows. The game is full of pretty sprites and backgrounds, imprecise controls, and a lack of awareness of "game balance". Fortunately, the game is infinite lives, and you'll need every one.

The story is apparently that evil comes to Earth, corrupts a bunch of wildlife, and then Earth's spirit give Kolibri the hummingbird the power to shoot shit out of his beak to stop them. You do so by going through about 20 levels of shmupping. Now, that seems like a lot, but this is a very unconventional shmup. There is a major variety of levels; some are Defender-esque, with a free roam where you need to just wipe out everything, some are autoscrollers like a traditional hori shmup (though here the camera might also pan up and down as part of progression), and then some are maze like exploration/puzzle stages, where you need to make your way through a cave and breaking through barriers (which require a pick up item to do so). The variety keeps the game interesting, though many of the latter maze levels are nasty as all hell.

The shooting mechanics are that you can have up to four hits before you die (there's a pick up that gives you hits), and whenever you get hit you lose a level of power for your weapon. Weapons can be up to level three by collecting duplicates, and picking up a different weapon will replace it at the same power level. Unfortunately a couple of the weapons are complete ass, and one of those is a super common drop from enemies, so you can find yourself suddenly saddled with the shit weapon in a bad spot. There's some segments of the game where you just can't make it through without taking hits if you get that weapon. You also have a dash button, which quickly moves you in the direction you're holding. It seems intended to replicate how hummingbirds move in the wild.

Which brings me to the general feel of the game. The developers spent a lot of time making it so that when you move Kolibri around it looks like how real hummingbirds look. This leads to a system where you're almost snapping to grid, though there isn't actually a large grid underlying it. Now, initially this is just a quirky mechanic that makes your movement a bit jerky. But then in the late game you have to do a lot more precise navigation, and that's where it starts to really suck. Kolibri's hitbox is kinda fucked when it comes to detecting collsion with physical objects (bullets are modeled well), and there's a lot of instant death in this game that you'll run into accidentally because of a combination of the shitty hitboxes and the controls. There's also some instant death you'll get caught in because you didn't see it (either it blended in with the background or the camera wasn't caught up to your movements). At least in the long end levels there are checkpoints (which save your health and weapon level at the time you pick them up).

Overall, it's a very unique shmup that is worth getting if you already have a 32X, but definitely don't buy one to play it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

11/6: Death Mark (Vita)
I’m not normally interested in horror games, but I saw someone play though Death Mark in Japanese and it looked really interesting. Nice artwork, interesting story, and lots of visual novel segments… sign me up! At the time I didn’t think it would come over to NA (and especially not on Vita), but thankfully I was proven wrong. Even better, the game was good too!

The game’s premise is simple enough. The main character somehow is cursed with a spooky mark on his arm, and he doesn’t remember much about himself and doesn’t have much on his person other than a business card. He heads to that location and finds himself at a spooky mansion. Inside, there’s a spooky dead body and a talking doll who helps the main character (and anyone else who comes to the mansion) get rid of his spooky mark and the curse with it. Throughout the game, many characters will come by the mansion with their own mark and help out the main character. They visit many different locations and battle against many spooky, angry spirits, all while piecing together the mystery of the curse. The story portion of the game is told like a visual novel, and the gameplay portion of the game is done in an adventure style kind of game, similarish to something like Shadowgate.

Nothing here is particularly innovative or anything like that, but I felt like everything was done really well. Throughout the game I was invested in finding out the cause of the curse, and I hoped that I could figure out how to get everyone out alive. The gameplay segments have a lot of different items to find which are both used to progress, and to defend your characters against a boss spirit at the end of each area. While some of these items are required to find, some of them are not and depending on what you use against the boss, you might get a better or worse conclusion. Unfortunately, I’m not very good at thinking through these sorts of puzzles, but I felt like pretty much everything had a reasonable solution. No weird puzzle logic here, unless you don’t read some of the clues laying around.

I enjoyed almost every aspect of the game and really, I only have minor complaints. For the less minor complaint, I felt like the endings were a little lame and not satisfying for my liking, but the game did have a really tense and exciting climax so that complaint is still fairly minor. For my other complaint, there’s one puzzley bit in the game that I don’t think was translated very well. To be fair, it’s very reliant on kanji in the original Japanese version so it would have been tough to come up with a good solution, but I think if I hadn’t known that fact in advance it would have been very annoying. Thankfully, you can easily get through it with trial and error without losing much time, but it still might be a bit annoying for some. For my last complaint, there are some sections of the game that have some rather unnecessary fan service. I don’t normally mind fan service, but here the fan service feels out of place and tacked on. It doesn’t happen too often, but the game would be better without it.

Overall, I highly recommend Death Mark to visual novel fans, assuming you don’t mind a bit of gameplay or a spooky atmosphere. It’s probably one of my favourite games all year and I’m really glad I got a chance to play it in English.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

2018 Finished and Completed games:

Finished Games:

1. Octopath Traveler (Switch)
- I was good on my way to 100%’ing this game until I realized I was missing a relatively innocuous piece of gear that drops only from some boss’s adds (160 hours in). Since then I’ve restarted the game and I’m already 20 hours+ in my second playthrough.

2. Little Dragons Café (PS4)
- I played this game on my run up to playing the great, long quest, that was Dragon Quest XI. Though I got almost everything, one Trophy still evades me, and there’s also some smaller not Trophy related stuff left to do.

3. Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age (PS4)
- I finished the game on 6x Draconian on my first run through the game (and subsequently Platinumed). It was a long, arduous but highly enjoyable process, now I’m stuck at endgame maxing out characters and accolades, I do not anticipate to be done by the end of the year.

4. Chrono Cross (PS1)
- I’ve owned a copy since 2005, but like a fine aged wine I like to keep PS1 era JRPG’s stored for a rainy day, so I finally played it this year. I’m very close to completing this, I’ve done pretty much everything and have 99 of every item (which was a very long process) and I’m in the middle of my final run, all I need to do is get to the end and save, which I will probably do some time next year.

5. Clock Tower (PS1)
- I already 100% completed this game many years ago, but my save was lost in one of the two PS1 Memory Cards (out of 12) I had go dead from the old days. So I decided to do everything all over again. I was almost done when other games distracted me, if I find the time I may complete this one again before the end of the year.

6. Thimbleweed Park (PC)
- The only adventure game I got to play for the whole year (not counting Detective Pikachu), which is a pity, I enjoyed the gameplay but find the story very lacking. I don’t consider the game ‘complete’ not that there’s much to complete in most adventure games anyway, but because GOG didn’t have achievements for it when I played it (still doesn't) and also because I didn’t bother getting the top score in all of the Arcade mini-games.

7. Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
- I already mentioned finishing this game and though I also 100%’ed this game on the XBLA DX version, I want to do it again with the original. I’m not sure if I’ll be done by the end of the year though, since I want to build a perfect Chao for the races (not that is necessary) and I’m not sure how possible that is without access to the Black Market and Sonic Adventure 2. I’ll try to do everything else by the end of the year though.

8. Ni No Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom (PS4)
- Yet another JRPG for the year. I got the Platinum, but more Trophies were added after that and there’s more DLC to come. Won’t go back to this until all the DLC for it is out, probably next year if I can fit it in.

9. Final Fantasy XV - Comrades (PS4)
- Though technically DLC for another game, Comrades is about to receive a standalone release in a few days and be separated from FFXV forever (at least on console) so I think it deserves its own separate entry. I finished both the original story path and the extra they added in an update while getting all the Trophies, my character is far from being perfect and there's more content coming for the game (maybe even past the 12th now that is separated from the main game).

Completed Games:

1. Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
- This was only recently completed due to the New Hint Arts and costumes Nintendo stagger released all the way until late November. I was done with the main game way early in the year and with the Luigi Balloon stuff sometime in the summer.

2. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
- Not much to say about this game. Is a simple adventure game for kids and ‘completing’ it consisted of getting all the Pika Prompts which was easy enough to do with the Amiibo.

3. Ever Oasis (3DS)
- This was a looong project that started all the way back in 2016, and one of my best uses of a daily scheduled grind. As far as I know, I’m also the only person in the world who bothered to complete this game legitimately. Which gives me some hope for the future of humanity.

4. Final Fantasy VIII (PS1)
- This was a long time coming and this last playthrough was started back in 2016. Finally after a ton of grinding and CR2032’s spend on the PocketStation, I can call this one complete. Is the first and only PS1 Final Fantasy that’s complete to my standards, though I started a VII run all the way back in 2013, I still haven’t completed it.

5. Dino Crisis (PS1)
- I finally went back to this game and got every ending and unlockable, plus completed Operation: Wipeout. It was satisfying going back and completing this one and I also doing it on the back of my save file that I made all the way back in 1999.

6. Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine (PC)
- This game felt like a lost Tomb Raider game from the series heyday back in the PS1 era, yet unique enough to be its own thing. I’m glad I finally got to play it. In fact I liked it so much I’m aiming to get the N64 version too since it seems to be different enough to make it worth playing again. Completing the game was also extra fun since I love finding secrets in these sorts of games.

7. ZombiU (Wii U)
- Though I finished the game last year, it wasn't until early this year that I completed it. Which mostly entailed killing Zombies for ammo over and over again (so I could max proficiency with all weapons) and be very careful not to die, which wasn't that hard though they were a few moments I came close to wasting 20 hours worth of work.

8. Duke Nukem 3D (PS1)
- I completed this in late spring, I just forgot to add it with the other games when I originally made the list. Well I had an FPS itch and I had to scratch it, this game, or rather this port of one of the best FPS's of its era and arguably of all time, didn't really get the job done...

I haven't played any of the other contemporary ports of Duke Nukem 3D, but I can say beyond the shadow of a doubt, that they are better than the PS1 port.

The frame rate is absurdly dreadful, we're not talking the difference between NTSC and PAL here, we're talking trying hard and failing to stay at a constant 15fps, the first boss was a stutter screen averaging between 1-3 fps, making the battle extra frustrating, and the were other moments like that throughout the game.

I had three fundamental reasons for playing this port.

1. I already mentioned this, wanted to play an old school FPS and I thought this port would do the job.

2. I found the game very challenging back in the day, and gave up in one of the early levels. Now I know why (terrible fps), but I'm not one to be bested by any game I play, so I was really motivated into going back and beating it.

3. This port has some unique levels exclusive to this version of the game. Though in recent years modders have faithfully recreated the levels for the PC version.

Of course just finishing it wouldn't be enough, I had to kill all the enemies and find all the secrets also, on the highest difficulty, because of course I do! The terrible frame rate made this quite a task, fortunately the PS1 version, did you the favor of letting you save whenever you wanted just like the PC (even had its own version of a Quicksave) but because of that, I often had to save scum after every kill like a noob, but there was no alternative with so many hitscan enemies and that terrible frame rate, at least not one that would have retained my sanity. I also had to replay a couple of levels for missing a secret or enemy or two, and in one case had to miss some secrets on purpose because you have to, if you are going to unlock a secret level, and I figured an entire level was more important than some secrets.

All in all, I wouldn't suggest this port to anyone ever, especially these days when you can play the original PC version on a toaster, but the unique levels created here are actually pretty great. Both thematically as they are satirical attempts of contemporary PS1 games like Wipeout and Tomb Raider and as far as their level design goes, they are very challenging and you wouldn't be able to tell they were made by a different team.

But play those on PC, now that they are available.

9. Shadow Man (PC)
- I already talked about my progress with this game in great detail in another topic so I'll keep it short here.

I really enjoyed this game back in the day on the Dreamcast, but since I generally don't like replaying games I have 100%'d before, I was looking for an excuse to replay it. And so came the superior (graphically, game is the same) PC version.

The game initially hit a sweet spot, since it comes from one of my favorite eras of game design, but due to my usual completionist shenanigans I ended up becoming sick of it by the end, since I basically did a complete playthrough from start to finish two times and another partial playthrough on top of that.

Still recommend the game to anyone, especially if you like 'edgy' subject matter, these days go for the PC version and put a texture pack on. The game is pretty cheap on GOG and plays smoothly on Windows 10, though if you have the disc version like I did, you will have problems running it.

Finished: 9
Completed: 9

Total: 18

Honorable Mentions:

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
- Despite finishing the game late last year, I spend most of my time on this game early this year, preparing my character for the, at the time, still upcoming New Game+ mode. I haven't completed it yet and haven't touched Torna at all, so it doesn't normally belong on the list but it deserves a mention given the amount of time I spend on it this year.

Wild Arms 2 (PS1)
- Like Xenoblade Chronicles 2, this is a game I technically finished last year, but I started a second playrthough this year all the way to the middle of Disc 2 in doing a low level Ashley run in my attempt for a perfect playthrough. Though highly unlikely I will complete it this year, it also deserves a mention due to the amount of time I spend on it through this year.

Notes:
I'm not sure if there's enough time to finish and especially complete, anything else in the remaining time of the year, but I guess we'll find out.

Still, I'm glad the finished and completed games turned out even, at least for now.
marurun

Post by marurun »

Question, sir. No obligation to answer, of course. Have you ever beaten a game on regular challenge and not bothered to try for 100% and decided that was just fine?
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Arenegeth
24-bit

Post by Arenegeth »

Yeah, back in the day that was my default form of engagement, I rarely completed games back then. I wanted to sometimes, rarely was I able to pull it off, especially with JRPG's. Heck, back then I wouldn't even finish games sometimes, perish the thought!

It wasn't until 2004-2005 when I had unfettered access to the internet and I could actually research games, that I started going strong with completing games, or maybe I was just hit with onset OCD dementia, or something...

Then of course there was Final Fantasy XI, after spending 9 years on that game, every other game pales in scale. Spending 300 hours completing a JRPG? That's how long it took getting, a part, of a part, of a part of a high end weapon in that game. I also got into achievement hunting around the same time.

So having trained myself in these standards for these past few years, now if I go for normal finish, most games feel easy and boring and ultimately unfulfilling.

Is still happens though, like the 9 cases this year, sure I'm supposed to complete them sometime, but god knows if I ever do for some of them, always get distracted with one game or another, some games get forgotten.

There's also cases like Dragon's Crown this year, that I played a bit and didn't actually finish. I honestly didn't like the game much, but I'm willing to give it another shot in the future.

But yes, I don't think I'm capable of just finishing a game anymore, at least without having a supposed plan of completing it one day, even if that day never comes...

Hmm that's a bit sad, since it limits the amount of different games I play, plus the crazy amount of time I spend on individual games. I think spreading my wings a bit and playing unfamiliar genres next year may be a good idea, since that's a good way to be challenged without going all out completionist.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21-40

41-60
41. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Expansion Pass DLC (Switch)
42. Battle Block Theater (Xbox 360) *
43. Magicka (Steam) *
44. La-Mulana 2 (Steam)
45. Yooka-Laylee (Steam)
46. Snipper-Clips: Cut it Out Together! (Switch)
47. Magicka: Dungeons and Gargoyles (Steam)
48. Hearthstone: The Boomsday Project (PC)
49. Timespinner (PS4)
50. Hollow Knight (PC)
51. Wuppo (PC)
52. Super Mario Party (Switch)
53. Party Hard (Steam)
54. The Final Station (Steam)
55. GARAGE: Bad Trip (Steam)
56. Mr Shifty (Steam)
57. LISA (Steam)
58. LISA: The Joyful (Steam)
59. Divide by Sheep (Steam)
60. The Mummy: Demastered (Switch)

61. Iconoclasts (Steam)
62. Serial Cleaner (Twitch)
63. Silent Hill: Book of Memories (PSVita)
64. Hokuto Ga Gotoku [Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise] (PS4)
65. Pokemon Picross (3DS)
66. 3D Picross: Round 2 (3DS)
67. Vampyr (PS4)
68. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
69. Slime-San (Steam)

70. Donut County (Switch)

I had some time to kill today while I waited for a computer to factory reset, so I decided to pass the time with some Donut County. It turned out the computer took almost exactly as long to reset as it did for me to beat the whole thing, which was about 2 hours. It was also 2 hours that went by a LOT faster on account of having something so entertaining to do X3

Donut County is a port of an iOS game that came out a few months back, but only arrived on Switch last week. It's a simple game where you are a raccoon who operates a donut shop. However, instead of deliver donuts, you deliver just the hole, and you maneuver this hole around each environment, in a very Katamari-ish fashion, to go from a small hole to a much bigger hole as you get bigger and bigger stuff. Sometimes there are puzzles like you'll need to consume a camp fire in order to fill the hole with fire to reach up with flames and burn a tree to make it smaller to swallow up, but even then they're very simple puzzles.

The real star of the game (along with the simple-to enjoy gameplay) is the writing, which is very silly and charming. Particularly funny is the Trashopedia, as the raccoon writes down in it all of the "trash" that he's taken into the hole on that particular level and always gives the most odd-ball descriptions of all sorts of items as viewed from a raccoon's perspective.

Verdict: Recommended. It's probably going to be a bit of a steep asking price at $13 for a 2 hour-ish game, but it's a quality game nonetheless. I can certainly see myself getting more mileage out of this showing it to friends at get-togethers and the like, just because it is so charmingly written as well as easy to play. The Switch port is a good one, and this is a fine way to enjoy Donut County ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
*6. Pikmin (GCN)*
*7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)*
8. Shining Force II (GEN)
*9. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (PS1)*
*10. Mafia (XBOX)*
11. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GCN)
12. ChuChu Rocket! (SDC)
*13. Super Metroid (SNES)*
14. Final Fantasy II (NES)
15. Devil May Cry (PS2)
16. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (GEN)
17. Secret of Evermore (SNES)
18. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (PS2)
19. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GCN)
*20. Paper Mario (N64)*
21. Grandia II (SDC)
22. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PS2)
23. Bomberman Hero (N64)
24. OutRun (GEN)
25. Dragon Warrior IV (NES)
26. Super Monkey Ball (GCN)
27. Mischief Makers (N64)
28. Dragon Valor (PS1)
*29. Beyond Good & Evil (XBX)*
30. Tokyo Xtreme Racer (SDC)
31. Black (PS2)
*32. Street Fighter II (SNES)*
33. Koudelka (PS1)
34. Bad News Baseball (NES)
35. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
36. Shattered Union (XBOX)
37. The Simpsons: Road Rage (PS2)
*38. Cruis'n Exotica (N64)*
39. Kid Icarus (NES)
40. The Lost Vikings (SNES)
41. Capcom Vs. SNK 2 (PS2)
42. Destroy All Humans! (XBOX)
43. Crystalis (NES)

44. U.N. Squadron (SNES)

I beat U.N. Squadron on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System this evening!

One of the genres that I have been getting into recently have been the Shoot'Em Up genre. I go to a Pinball/Arcade every two weeks and I have discovered many shmups that way. The genre is a minefield as the games are incredibly hard and I only like specific ones. Several years ago, I was big into the Screwattack community and I remember them doing a video on the Top 10 Shmups. They ranked U.N. Squadron as the best one and I decided to pick it up. After picking at it for several years and with my desire to get more into the genre, I decided to finally sit down and play U.N. Squadron until I finally beat it.

Spoilers: I do not agree with Screwattack's List.

I always thought Konami made harder video games than Capcom. I felt like Konami games were cheaper in their difficulty while Capcom were at least fair in their difficulty. U.N. Squadron could be one of the hardest video games that Capcom has ever made outside of the Ghosts and Goblins games. I know Shmups are hard, but U.N. Squadron takes it to a whole new level. The best part about Shmups is when you are maxed out and your weapons cover the entire screen. You never get that feeling in U.N. Squadron. Your main weapon is barely above a P-Shooter while the screen is usually filled with enemies and the bosses take hits like sponges. The levels and the boss just go on and on. So, instead of feeling like a badass, you have to play defensive in the game. Avoid the bullets first and then find your spots. The only saving grace are almost completely random power ups that you can find sometimes before bosses. There is a neat little level up system, but it is so expensive and the best ship is by far the best that you just save up to buy that one ship for the entire game. You can also choose your own paths, but the levels are designed with difficulty spikes that it would be impossible if you were to do them out of order.

The game still has that Capcom touch to it. The music is utterly fantastic with the final level having a great theme. The colors are bright, the characters are unique and the bosses are huge. However, this game is only for veteran Shmup players and even then, it will provide a challenge. It is fun to play and has some unique ideas that you do not find in the genre, but to sit down and actually see the ending is tall order for anybody.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And that is it for me in 2018. I am going to take a few days off, play my older game and prepare for 2019. I had my best year ever, gaming progress wise this year. There were a few standout titles, but nothing overtly fantastic.

I will see everybody in 2019!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21-40

41-60
41. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild: Expansion Pass DLC (Switch)
42. Battle Block Theater (Xbox 360) *
43. Magicka (Steam) *
44. La-Mulana 2 (Steam)
45. Yooka-Laylee (Steam)
46. Snipper-Clips: Cut it Out Together! (Switch)
47. Magicka: Dungeons and Gargoyles (Steam)
48. Hearthstone: The Boomsday Project (PC)
49. Timespinner (PS4)
50. Hollow Knight (PC)
51. Wuppo (PC)
52. Super Mario Party (Switch)
53. Party Hard (Steam)
54. The Final Station (Steam)
55. GARAGE: Bad Trip (Steam)
56. Mr Shifty (Steam)
57. LISA (Steam)
58. LISA: The Joyful (Steam)
59. Divide by Sheep (Steam)
60. The Mummy: Demastered (Switch)

61. Iconoclasts (Steam)
62. Serial Cleaner (Twitch)
63. Silent Hill: Book of Memories (PSVita)
64. Hokuto Ga Gotoku [Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise] (PS4)
65. Pokemon Picross (3DS)
66. 3D Picross: Round 2 (3DS)
67. Vampyr (PS4)
68. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Switch)
69. Slime-San (Steam)
70. Donut County (Switch)

71. Marvel's Spider-Man (PS4)

I heard a lot of really good things about this one and was planning to pick it up once it got cheaper, but I got it as an unexpected Xmas present from a friend on the grounds that I would start playing it with them. I went to hang out at their place to start it 3 days ago, and basically played it whenever I was able since then and got the (surprisingly easy) platinum earlier today XD . I expected this game would be good, and damn good it was.

It's Spider-Man, and presentation-wise it is like a celebration of Spider-Man as a franchise. The web-swinging feels AWESOME. The game has a fast-travel system, but I barely ever even used it because swinging around is so intuitive, fast, and fluid. You can unlock all sorts of gadgets to use on enemies, and basically any suit Spidey has ever freaking worn to trot about the city in. The game also basically doesn't use pre-rendered cutscenes, so any suit you're wearing will be what he's wearing during whatever cutscene you happen to be in (which ranges from hilarious to kinda off-putting XD).

The story is pretty damn good. It suffers from a decided lack of pacing that most of these open-world games suffer from in their main narratives, but the acting, cinematography, and pacing of the cutscenes are great. I've been told it follows the story of the rebooted comics to some extent, but I have no context for that from personal experience, so I have to take that at its word XP . Plenty of recognizable baddies from the franchise though, and Peter Parker's quips are as funny as ever. There was more than once where I had to nearly pause the game because a quip hit me so well XD.

The combat is Arkham-y, but it's done really well. Perhaps it's just because I'm not sick of that style of combat like I know some people are, but I always found the combat really fluid and fun. You get level ups from doing map challenges, main and side-quests, as well as just fighting baddies, and you can put skill points you get from those into new moves you can use in combat. The combat has a real emphasis on air-juggling opponents as well as being mobile while also using gadgets to trip-up enemies and keep yourself from getting overwhelmed, and it has a very nice "easy to learn, hard to master" vibe to it. That said, I think it may be a little too hard to learn, given that I was nearly dying quite a bit in the tutorial mission XD.

The game runs great on my normal PS4. The only performance hiccups were some slight framerate stutters during some cutscenes, but during actual gameplay it was always fine, and I can only imagine how well this runs on an a PS4 Pro. It runs as well as a 1st party title with this kind of budget behind it should, and I'm very happy with that.

Verdict: Highly recommended. Watchdogs 2 is still my favorite GTA-style open-world city game, but Spider-Man has thoroughly dethroned Infamous 2 as my favorite super-powers variant of that sub-genre. It is a fantastic return to form for Spider-Man games as well as just a brilliant addition to the already overwhelming PS4 exclusives library, and something anyone with a PS4 should at least consider checking out if they're into open-world types of games ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me