Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by Sarge »

Yeah, I still need to dive into Soma Bringer. I think the only reason I haven't is that I'm not sure I've got the latest revision of the translation. In fact, I think I'm going to check that now.

Two games finished tonight: Youkai Club and Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!. The former is a decent enough platformer with very mild RPG elements for the Famicom. The hit detection is a little sketchy with the platforming, but it's certainly not unplayable. I decided to give it a 6/10. The latter needs no introduction, and I was just curious to see if I still had it, after getting owned on the NES Classic a few weeks ago. I took him down on the first try, which is the first time I've ever pulled that off, and I almost managed to not get knocked down the whole fight, to boot, seeing me fall about thirty seconds into Round 3. Nerves were really getting to me at that point; this was definitely one of my cleanest runs.

Y'all, CRTs and actual hardware make all the difference, as if you didn't already know that. :)

EDIT: And now Jackal. Was going to see how far I could get without dying, and then quit. I got halfway through the last stage. :roll: Finished it off. Grade A material. Both it and MPO are 9/10 material.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Exhuminator wrote:For what it's worth, Monolith Soft's Soma Bringer has a lot in common with Xenoblade Blade, although it proceeded XC by two years. Monolith Soft definitely used ideas from Soma Bringer to build upon. But I think Soma Bringer is the better game. Unfortunately SB never received an official localization so hardly anyone's bothered to play it.

I've tried to pick it up before on your recommendation, but it's the ONE game I've had get lost in transit from Japan and I just haven't tried again since QwQ
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

Max Payne (Playstation 4) - 13/05/2018
Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore (Playstation 2) - 15/05/2018
Raging Justice (Xbox One) - 19/05/2018
What if Streets of Rage and Killer Instinct had a baby Nintendo 64 cartridge you asked?

Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC) - 24/05/2018
Instant classic, 8bit castlevania at it's purest.
Gameplay and Sound surpassed only by the amazing artstyle and the singularity of each character, amazing job IGA!
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

I just beat the blood boss (first level of the second map); how many more stages do I have?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
lordb0rb4
32-bit

Post by lordb0rb4 »

MrPopo wrote:I just beat the blood boss (first level of the second map); how many more stages do I have?

I think there's another map, the top of the castle and that's it!
EDIT: Oh, and make sure you start a new game after beating the main mode ; >
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Thanks for the tip.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I've tried to pick it up before on your recommendation, but it's the ONE game I've had get lost in transit from Japan and I just haven't tried again since

Sucks that it was lost (or stolen?). If you put Secret of Mana, Diablo, and Xenoblade Chronicles in a blender, the resulting delicious concoction would be Soma Bringer. Sure the initial area is kind of ho-hum, but it just keeps picking up steam from there getting better and better. Also playing SB via local co-op is a blast.

-

I didn't know Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon had been released already. :shock: Oh dear W:TotFL may have to take a night off.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Yep, I plan on giving it a go tonight. Don't have my Switch code yet, but they're giving temporary Steam codes to those affected, so I'll get to play regardless.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Exhuminator wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:I've tried to pick it up before on your recommendation, but it's the ONE game I've had get lost in transit from Japan and I just haven't tried again since

Sucks that it was lost (or stolen?). If you put Secret of Mana, Diablo, and Xenoblade Chronicles in a blender, the resulting delicious concoction would be Soma Bringer. Sure the initial area is kind of ho-hum, but it just keeps picking up steam from there getting better and better. Also playing SB via local co-op is a blast.

They gave me a refund, no questions asked, so it all turned out okay. I just never ended up attempting to buy it again Xp
I also have no friends to play with, but that hasn't stopped me from enjoying that kind of game before, so I think I'll be fine. I'll have to put it back on my watch-for list :3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:Yep, I plan on giving it a go tonight. Don't have my Switch code yet, but they're giving temporary Steam codes to those affected, so I'll get to play regardless.

Yeah I got the Steam version too. That should tell you how much I want to play this. :|

PartridgeSenpai wrote:I'll have to put it back on my watch-for list.

It's worth playing solo for the OST alone, but still a fun game regardless. A trailer. English patch.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.