30. The Last of Us: Left Behind - PS4
31. Prey: Mooncrash - PC
32. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4
33. Resident Evil 7 - PC
34. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero - PC
35. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War III - PC
36. Overwhelm - PC
37. Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation - PC

Ashes is an RTS that was built as a gameplay successor to Supreme Commander. Like SupCom it involves large battles that you can zoom out all the way on and a streaming economy. However, the scale isn't quite as large and the tech tree isn't as deep. Your forces come in three tiers; frigates, cruisers, and then your superheavy dreadnaughts which serve as the anchorpieces of your army. The game also does the economy slightly differently. In SupCom you got mass through building extractors on nodes that were distributed throughout the map, and got energy by building power generators in your base. You had the option of making more mass at the cost of a lot of energy through late game structures. In Ashes you instead have a series of control points to capture. Some of these points will have nodes on them, and when you've captured a point you get resources from those nodes. Then if you build extractors on the nodes you gain more resources. Not all points have nodes, but are still important to capture because you only gain resources from points that are connected to your base along the network. This also means that points that serve as a single linkage between groups are points you can capture to cut off your opponent's supply. There is a third resource that is generated by a structure you can build which is used for all your upgrades; increasing your supply cap, your damage and health, and some miscellaneous ones.

The major innovation this game brings to combat is the army system. If you have a group you can click a button and now the selected units will form into a single unit called an army. The most powerful unit becomes the army leader and everything will then maneuver around it as appropriate to engage in the optimal actions. This severely reduces the amount of micro you need to engage in, which is very welcome. It really helps keep the support units in line, as they will stay in the back where they belong, rather than racing forward because they have nothing to do as part of your attack move.

Unfortunately, the story is incredibly weak. One of the concepts isn't explored in any real way, and the game really wants about twice as much dialog to get across what it wants. It's a real shame, because C&C and StarCraft both do an excellent job of having a narrative to why you're engaging in army battles, whereas this game just puts in a tiny bit of window dressing as to what the specific objective of this one battle is, rather than in the overall context of the world. It's unfortunate, because there is an interesting idea here.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by Xeogred »

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
14. Super Turrican* (SNES)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2* (SNES)
16. Super Turrican 2* (SNES)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
18. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
19. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 2: DualShock* [Claire A/Leon B] (PSX)
21. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
22. Resident Evil HD* (PS4) [PLATINUM]
23. Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares* (PS4)
24. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition* (PS4) [Vergil]
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
26. Nioh (PS4)
27. Super Mario Bros 3Mix (NES Romhack)
28. Yakuza 6 (PS4)
29. Metroid: Rogue Dawn (NES Romhack)
30. Front Mission: Gun Hazard (SNES)
31. Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB)
32. The Guardian Legend (NES)
33. Brain Lord (SNES)
34. Assault Suits Valken (SNES)
35. Black Mesa (PC) [May2018]
36. Super Metroid Randomizer [C5708009]
37. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC)
38. Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Arcade)
39. Captain Commando (Arcade)
40. Fallout: New Vegas* (PC)
41. The Punisher (Arcade)
42. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Arcade)
43. TMNT: Turtles in Time (Arcade)
44. Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder (Arcade)
45. Golden Axe (Arcade)
46. Undercover Cops (Arcade)
47. X-Men (Arcade)
48. Double Dragon (Arcade)
49. Final Fight* (Arcade)
50. Battletoads* (Arcade)
51. Mega Man ZX Advent (DS)
52. TMNT III: The Manhattan Project* (NES)
53. Mega Man Zero* (DS) [MMZC]
54. Mega Man Zero 2* (DS) [MMZC]
55. Mega Man Zero 3* (DS) [MMZC]
56. Mega Man Zero 4* (DS) [MMZC]
57. Shadow Hearts (PS2)

* = replay

26h 42m 02s

+ Awesome main characters across the board and they really grow as you journey through the game.
+ Unique 1900's gothic nightmare-ish setting with some steampunk on the side every once and awhile. Think... Vampire Hunter D or Hellsing, something strange along those lines. First half of the game takes place in Asia, then the second is in Europe.
+ Gorgeous pre-rendered backdrops which were sadly starting to get tossed out during the PS2's era. Visually this game holds up tremendously.
+ A+ OST, courtesy of Yasunori Mitsuda, Yoshitaka Hirota, and Masaharu Iwata.
+ Solid difficulty and interesting battle mechanics with the timing based Judgment Ring system.
+ 26 hours for probably 90% of the content that I accomplished is very doable and awesome, nothing obscenely long here.

- FAQ/Guide is highly required. Nearly 40% or so of the game is deep hidden content, entire story/character arcs, best weapons/equipment, transformations for the main character, one of the best optional dungeons, etc. Some of the main dungeons were also very hellish in their design with repetitive maze gimmicks or even obtusely random teleporting from one place to another, these dungeons would have been a headache without a guide. Nothing unusual for JRPG's but it seemed a bit severe here with how a ton of the content is obtusely hidden away.
- Judgement Ring gets tiresome outside of battles, for some key items, a weird Lottery Ticket system across key NPC's, and other weird things.
- There's a strange Sanity system here (SP points, third to HP/MP) along with a graveyard that builds up with the more monsters you kill, both of these you have to constantly keep in check. SP restores after each battle but it is something you have to watch out for and monitor. While never a huge issue, I'm not the biggest fan of gimmicks like this stuff.

Overall, highly recommended for JRPG fans. Now I need to check out Koudelka and Shadow Hearts: Covenant sometime and I'm very excited for both. Maybe I'll consider the third Shadow Hearts game someday, though it always sounds like a huge downgrade according to fans and looks like it really loses the gothic grit the others have.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Still chuckle at the fact that MIDWAY served as publisher there.

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
23. Arcade Archives: Ninja-Kid (Switch eShop)
24. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
25. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom (Switch eShop)
26. Front Line (Atari 2600)
27. Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
29. Exerion (Famicom)
30. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes (Switch eShop)
31. Arcade Archives: Double Dragon (Switch eShop)
32. ACA NeoGeo: Ninja Combat (Switch eShop)
33. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Wizard Fire (Switch eShop)
34. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Game Boy)
35. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy)

Released in late 1995, Virtual Boy Wario Land is the second installment of Wario's own personal series. The game that's literally called Wario Land II is the third, naturally. Though competition was incredibly stiff, Virtual Boy Wario Land is generally regarded as one of the best, if not the best, game available on Nintendo's ill-fated "handheld."

The core elements from the original Game Boy Wario Land are retained for this sequel. Wario still has his power-up hats; though slightly modified they still grant the expected dash, flight, and fire-spewing capabilities. There's an additional way to combine hat powers, though this element is a bit muddled. The collectathon is back again, but mercifully scaled down. Exactly one treasure exists per stage, and they aren't incredibly difficult to locate. Coin-collecting is emphasized and some terrible post-stage minigames can be used to increase Wario's horde.
The fundamental structure of the game is interesting. It reminds me of Bio Senshi Dan. Or, to use a non-hipster reference, picture Metroid but with a series of huge non-linear discrete levels instead of one large open world. Wario's quest is centered around exploring a series of underground caves, a clever way to utilize the Virtual Boy's omnipresent blackness, reclaiming his treasure from the dastardly "Mask-Guys." Strictly speaking, this is a fun game. Controls are flawless and each stage feels tailor-made to accommodate Wario's girth and momentum. The sluggishness that characterized Wario's first outing is gone, replaced by the speedy clip reminiscent of a certain plumber. Speaking of that mustachioed hero, Kazumi Totaka of 6 Golden Coins fame provides the soundtrack here. It's quite upbeat and chipper, similar to his previous output, while keeping time with Wario's inherent sneakiness.
What's most impressive about the game is how it utilizes the undeniably clunky Virtual Boy. The visual presentation exceeds expectations. Sprites are large, but never seem to clutter the screen, and move smoothly. There's a great layering effect applied to every object, bringing the mid-90s "3D" experience to the player. An additional "gimmick" allows Wario to jump from foreground to background. It's a cool mechanic, slyly adding space to each stage by using what would otherwise be a static backdrop image. Said mechanic also pops up during boss battles, as several have to be chased from background to foreground, or struck within the void in between. And while the Virtual Boy red & back color scheme is garish and tough on the eyes, it actually works within the context of this particular game, a dim light shining into an otherwise dark chasm.

This is a fine experience, better than I anticipated, and should silence anyone who dismisses the Virtual Boy as an outright failure. It's a shame it was never ported or officially emulated after its original release. If Nintendo had to the sense to bring Game & Watch classics to the DS, why not do the same with Virtual Boy and the 3DS? Some games are just begging for a wider audience, this is one.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 79
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
45. Gundam Breaker 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5
47. Corpse Killer - Sega CD 32X - April 9
48. Corpse Killer - Saturn - April 11*
49. Area 51 - Saturn - April 16*
50. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - Sega CD - April 17
51. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - PlayStation 4 - April 28*

May (6 Games Beaten)
52. Detention - PlayStation 4 - May
53. Guacamelee - Wii U - May 6
54. EDGE - Wii U - May 7
55. RUSH - Wii U - May 9
56. Pokemon Snap - Nintendo 64 - May 27
57. Doom VFR - PS VR - May 27

June (20 Games Beaten)
58. Jurassic Pinball - Switch - June 8
59. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn - Switch - June 9
60. Lost Sphear - Switch - June 11
61. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - Wii - June 12
62. Medal of Honor: Vanguard - Wii - June 14
63. Pokemon Quest - Switch - June 15
64. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 3DS - June 17
65. Art of Balance - Wii U - June 17
66. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch - June 18
67. DmC Devil May Cry - PlayStation 4 - June 19
68. DmC Devil May Cry: Vergil's Downfall - PlayStation 4 - June 19
69. Assassin's Creed Rogue - PlayStation 3 - June 20
70. Assassin's Creed Unity - Xbox One - June 21
71. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China - Xbox One - June 22
72. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India - Xbox One - June 23
73. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia - Xbox One - June 24
74. New Gundam Breaker - PlayStation 4 - June 24
75. Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard - PlayStation 3 - June 25
76. Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Xbox One - June 29
77. Ride to Hell: Retribution - Xbox 360 - June 30

July (2 Games Beaten)
78. Broforce - PlayStation 4 - July 4
79. Just Cause 2 - PlayStation 3 - July 4

Although I never played the first Just Cause game, I watched a friend of mine from high school play Just Cause 3 a few years ago and thought it looked fantastic. I picked up Just Cause 2 on a whim a while back because it was cheap, and while I have Just Cause 3, I figured it would be better to play this one first so I don't go from 3 to 2 and end up disappointed (god help me, I guess, if I ever end up playing the first one). While there's naturally not as much wanton destruction in this game as I saw my buddy create in the third installment - they are, after all, different console generations - there's still a GLORIOUS amount of carnage and havoc to wreak in Just Cause 2.

The game's story follows the same protagonist from the first Just Cause, Rico Rodriguez, as he travels to the fictional southeast Asian island nation of Panau to overthrow an anti-American dictator. He does this by destroying various government installations, thus creating "chaos," and riling up and empowering the three rebel factions on the island. These factions are the ultranationalist Ular Boys, the communist Reapers, and the mafia Roaches. You pick one of these factions to side with in the final battle, but you'll be working with all three factions during the rest of the game.

Visually, the game looks good for the PlayStation 3. It doesn't push the hardware as hard as The Last of Us or Uncharted 3, but it's still a lovely game graphically. The music is good and fits the feel, but the start of the audio design is the sound effects. Dear god, the explosions sound SO satisfying. Just find a tank or minigun and destroy everything in sight. I could put William Sherman to shame with the destruction I left in my wake. Unfortunately, the voice acting doesn't always match the explosions; the acting is really hit or miss here. Some of the characters are totally fine, but some of the characters - especially the random NPCs - are just bad. Like, not 90s cringe bad, but "this is obviously a white guy trying too hard to sound Asian and it just comes off as kinda racist" bad. Also, while I definitely sided with the communist faction (workers of the world, unite!), the voice actress for the leader made me want to stab myself in the ears with an ice pick with every line. It was terrible.

Just Cause 2 is an absolute must-play for PS3/360 gamer fans of open world murder simulators because it's not just a murder simulator - it's a full blown American-backed terrorism simulator. Yeah, Grand Theft Auto may have hookers and murder and its share of explosions, but Just Cause 2 has quality explosions, not just quantity (although it definitely has the quantity, too). The voice acting is kind of meh, but the story is pretty good, the gameplay is obscenely addicting. You'll be exploring the map, see a previously undiscovered military base, and immediately say "WELL, I GUESS I BETTER GO KILL EVERYONE WITHIN 5 KILOMETERS." Seriously, this game is dirt cheap, and it's a bloody good time (literally).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Dear Elkin,

I have a question - how do you decide what to play next? I mean thank goodness you're finally out of your Assassin's Creed binge, but when you play a seemingly random title I'm just curious - is it something that you are just in the mood for? Do you pick a title out of a virtual hat? Considering you buy roughly 300 games a month, I'd think you'd get struck with choice paralysis when actually deciding what to play.

Sincerely,

Sleepless In New England
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Jungle Book (SNES)(Platformer)
2. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (SNES)(Light Gun Shooter)
3. Might and Magic VI (PC)(RPG)
4. Revenant (PC)(RPG)
5. Neo Turf Masters (NGPC)(Sports)
6. Fatal Fury: First Contact (NGPC)(Fighter)
7. Pac-Man (NGPC)(Action)

8. Golden Axe (Genesis)(Hack and Slash)
9. Blood and Bacon (PC)(FPS)
10. Gain Ground (Genesis)(Strategy)

11. Flicky (Genesis)(Platformer)
12. Zombie Shooter 2 (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
13. Phantasmagoria (PC)(Point and Click)
14. SNK vs. Capcom: Card Fighter's Clash - Capcom Version (NGPC)(Card Game)
15. Toonstruck (PC)(Point and Click)
16. Riven (PC)(Point and Click)
17. Dragon Wars (PC)(RPG)
18. Dungeon Hack (PC)(RPG)
19. SNK vs. Capcom: The Match of the Millennium (NGPC)(Fighter)
20. Portal 2 (PC)(Puzzle FPS)
21. Goat Simulator: Waste of Space (PC)(Action)
22. Goat Simulator: Payday (PC)(Action)
23. Goat Simulator: MMO Simulator (PC)(Action)

24. Goat Simulator: GoatZ (PC)(Action)
25. Goat Simulator (PC)(Action)
26. Streets of Rage 2 (Genesis)(Beat 'Em Up)
27. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (PC)(Action Platformer)

28. Deadlight (PC)(Platformer)
28. Antichamber (PC)(Puzzle FPS)
29. S.C.A.R.S. (N64)(Racing)
30. Anvil of Dawn (PC)(RPG)

Anvil of Dawn is a mid-90s WRPG that falls into the tile-based dungeon crawler category. In fact, it was one of the last of the tile-based dungeon crawlers during that style's heyday, as free movement and action RPG styles would soon come in vogue thanks to the likes of the Elder Scrolls series, Diablo, Ultima Underworld, and more. That said, as a swan song for a style that would only see a return in the current retro-inspired renaissance we're seeing now, Anvil of Dawn was an awesome way to go out. There's full voice acting, gorgeous real-time combat, pre-rendered cutscenes in a few places, a dark if simplistic storyline, and even a pre-rendered 3D landscape that makes a nice contrast to the various dungeons, even if it's all done on rails.

Anvil of Dawn also succeeds in giving the player some great tools; the in-game map is incredibly useful and shows almost everything you could want to know (with the ability to add notes and a mini-map available when navigating the dungeon), the inventory system is easy to navigate and doesn't hinder the player, and while the magic system's introduction is a little complicated, it quickly becomes simple to use, with all spells readily accessible. Movement is seamless, with the ability to dart in and out of combat a breeze. Your character has a health bar, as well as a portrait to show visual queues for your current status, and you can find the total amount of health and spell points by clicking the bar if you want more precise information. To add to it, leveling is simplistic: just participate in combat or cast spells, and eventually you'll get better in a style or magic element of your choice. It doesn't even half to be in what you use, so you can walk around with a spear, level, and increase your ability to use axes instead if you so desire.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of complexity to the game. At the start, you pick which of the five adventurers you want to play, but since you can choose to set your stats however you want, this doesn't have a huge affect on gameplay. There are a couple of moments in the game where the choice changes a puzzle based on your gender, and you will find a couple of characters in the world being tortured or brutally murdered depending on who you pick, but otherwise it doesn't influence anything beyond your portrait and voice actor. The story is also incredibly simple: Evil has gotten powerful and is taking over the World, so you have to stop it for Good. This means you have to create a box to hold the Evil's power source and then destroy it. In fact, the big Evil is only known as the Warlord; he doesn't even get a name.

This simplicity also extends to the game itself. There are four weapon classes, but really, only one is useful. Use swords and put points in Slashing until you master it, because all of the best weapons are swords. Magic went up so slowly that I only raised my healing spell, and even if it hadn't, I probably still wouldn't have used it because spell points regenerated so slowly that I didn't feel it was worth trying out. I only used two spells for the game, one of which is required for puzzles. This may come down to taste and stats though, as I always favor tanks for melee and build characters accordingly.

While the game is simple, it doesn't always explain things well. You can breeze through a lot of dungeons and completely miss the items you need. I was thorough, but I'm sure there are still some chests I missed, and I couldn't guess if there are other pieces of gear I missed. Since I had the strength, I just kept nearly everything I thought I would need later, which proved to be enough. There is a journal, but I didn't find it quite as intuitive to use as I needed. Also, the main quest to build a box is given as a series of riddles; that wasn't helpful.

I feel like I'm complaining a lot, but I don't want to make anyone think I didn't enjoy myself. I did, immensely. At this point I've spent a fair amount of time with this genre, so there are a lot of things that I find quite important, and having a vague storyline is pretty par for the course. The tactics that I've developed over time in games like Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Hack work well here, so I often breezed through combat, but that came from experience. Anvil of Dawn was fun, pretty, and satisfying. I liked it a lot, and I recommend it to other fans of this style of WRPG.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

noiseredux wrote:Dear Elkin,

I have a question - how do you decide what to play next? I mean thank goodness you're finally out of your Assassin's Creed binge, but when you play a seemingly random title I'm just curious - is it something that you are just in the mood for? Do you pick a title out of a virtual hat? Considering you buy roughly 300 games a month, I'd think you'd get struck with choice paralysis when actually deciding what to play.

Sincerely,

Sleepless In New England

Hey now, I've cut back significantly with my game buying this year! But yeah, it's pretty much whatever I'm in the mood for at any given time. It may be three titty anime games in a row, or it may be three games from three totally different genres. It just depends on what I'm feeling at that particular moment.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 80
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

April (7 Games Beaten)
45. Gundam Breaker 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
46. Night Trap - PlayStation 4 - April 5
47. Corpse Killer - Sega CD 32X - April 9
48. Corpse Killer - Saturn - April 11*
49. Area 51 - Saturn - April 16*
50. Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers - Sega CD - April 17
51. SD Gundam G Generation Genesis - PlayStation 4 - April 28*

May (6 Games Beaten)
52. Detention - PlayStation 4 - May
53. Guacamelee - Wii U - May 6
54. EDGE - Wii U - May 7
55. RUSH - Wii U - May 9
56. Pokemon Snap - Nintendo 64 - May 27
57. Doom VFR - PS VR - May 27

June (20 Games Beaten)
58. Jurassic Pinball - Switch - June 8
59. Shaq Fu: A Legend Reborn - Switch - June 9
60. Lost Sphear - Switch - June 11
61. Medal of Honor Heroes 2 - Wii - June 12
62. Medal of Honor: Vanguard - Wii - June 14
63. Pokemon Quest - Switch - June 15
64. Persona Q: Shadow of the Labyrinth - 3DS - June 17
65. Art of Balance - Wii U - June 17
66. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch - June 18
67. DmC Devil May Cry - PlayStation 4 - June 19
68. DmC Devil May Cry: Vergil's Downfall - PlayStation 4 - June 19
69. Assassin's Creed Rogue - PlayStation 3 - June 20
70. Assassin's Creed Unity - Xbox One - June 21
71. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China - Xbox One - June 22
72. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: India - Xbox One - June 23
73. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: Russia - Xbox One - June 24
74. New Gundam Breaker - PlayStation 4 - June 24
75. Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard - PlayStation 3 - June 25
76. Assassin's Creed Syndicate - Xbox One - June 29
77. Ride to Hell: Retribution - Xbox 360 - June 30

July (3 Games Beaten)
78. Broforce - PlayStation 4 - July 4
80. Barack Fu: The Adventures of Dirty Barry - Switch - July 5

80. Barack Fu: The Adventures of Dirty Barry - Switch - July 5

Game of the year 2018 right here, guys. I had been curious about the "free game" included with Shaq Fu that the cover advertised, but I didn't think much of it after I finished the game. Let me tell you a story about how greatly I underestimated that little inconspicuous part of the cover. I usually lie in bed scrolling through Twitter or Facebook at night, and one night, I evidently fell asleep while scrolling through Twitter. I woke up around 3 or 4 in the morning, and thought "Man, what a crazy dream I had. I dreamt that they added Barack Obama DLC to Shaq Fu. Weird." So I got up to make a sandwich like I always do when I wake up in the middle of the night, and that "dream" keeps nagging at me, so I decide to grab my Switch and just check. Just in case. Lo and behold, it wasn't a drunken fever dream but a glorious reality! I'd apparently read a tweet about Barack Fu right as I fell asleep, so upon waking, I thought it had been a dream. I've never been so happy to be wrong.

If you've played the base Shaq Fu game, then you know how Barack Fu plays. It's not long - only about an hour or so - but you play as Barack Obama going to the "Paris Fashion Weak" to find American rapper and eternal pain in the ass of thinking people everywhere "Con-Ye" and force him to shut the hell up. Along the way, you're forced to fight a veritable army of stereotypical Frenchmen wielding baguettes, absurdly dressed models, and even a sub-boss parody of Marine La Pen, Emmanuel Macron's fascist opponent in the 2017 French presidential election. Throughout all of this, Obama drops the most amazing puns and one-liners I think I've ever heard in a video game.

In terms of gameplay, while it may play just like Shaq Fu, it's a bit tougher with harder enemies, longer sections between checkpoints, and less forgiving health drops. That's not to say that it's brutally difficult - I only died once in my playthrough, and I suck at games - but it's a good challenge that I found IMMENSELY satisfying. While it doesn't have as many power-ups as Shaq Fu (being, like, 20% of the length), it does have one totally amazing power-up - "Dirty Barry Mode." With this power-up, Obama dons a pair of aviators, pulls out two Uzis, and mows down hordes of enemies. It's...simply beautiful.

Visually, it's obviously identical to Shaq Fu, and while it doesn't have Obama versions of the hella catchy songs the base game has about Shaq, the voice acting is fantastic. It's obviously not the actual Barack Obama voicing the character, but the guy they got to do it sounds JUST like him. All of the speech quirks and mannerisms are there, too, from the frequent pauses to the "Uhhs." It's perfect. I don't know who voiced Obama's character, but whoever it is did a fantastic job.

The game's strongest aspect, as was the case with the base Shaq Fu game, is the writing. It's comedic genius. It's not as excessively meta as Shaq Fu was which I personally find to be a good thing, but the puns and humor are no less brilliant. The story is ridiculous and outlandish in all the right ways, and the dialogue is fantastic. It pokes fun at President Obama's less popular features as well as his endearing ones, and while it's pretty obvious that the developers were Obama supporters, the game is silly and absurd enough that even those who vehemently opposed the 44th president should be able to get full enjoyment from the writing.

Barack Fu: The Adventures of Dirty Barry is pure brilliance as far as humor goes. It looks and plays just like Shaq Fu, but that's not a bad thing by any stretch of the imagination. It's currently only available to those who purchased a retail version of the game which, while kind of screwing over digital folks, is a big plus in my book because screw digital downloads. Physical games for life, yo. It's only an hour or so long, but it's an hour that could give any stand up or sketch comedy routine a run for its money. I cannot recommend this highly enough, and this is ABSOLUTELY a reason to go buy a physical copy of Shaq Fu right now. I struggled really hard with whether to give this a four or a five, and I was tempted to break my no-half-points rule. In the end, the only thing keeping this game from getting full marks from me is that it's just so short at only two levels. This is too brilliant to be this brief, and it really does deserve its down full length game. Hopefully that will come sometime in the future.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

“well, it looks like you’re between Barack and a hard place.” :lol:

Great review, Elkin. I have my fingers crossed for a pun-heavy Barack Obama action movie. Maybe he could team up with Gerald Ford or something.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Games Beaten 2018
1. Letter Quest Remastered Switch eShop
2. Batman NES
3. Little Nemo: The Dream Master NES
4. Mickey's Wild Adventure PS1
5. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. 3DS
6. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy 3DS
7. Nier Automata PS4
8. Legacy of the Wizard NES
9. The Legend of Zelda (starring Zelda) NES
10. Tobu Tobu Girl Game Boy
11. Rhyme Rider Kerorican WSC
12. Sonic Advance 3 GBA
13. Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap PS4
14. Super Adventure Island SNES
15. Dynamite Cop DC
16. Pokkén Tournament Wii U
17. Mega Man 7 PS4
18. Rhythm Tengoku GBA *NEW*
19. Portal 2 360 *NEW*

Rhythm Tengoku

Rhythm Tengoku is the first game in Nintendo’s quirky rhythm game franchise, better known as Rhythm Heaven in the US and Rhythm Paradise in Europe. As you might guess from the title, this entry in the series never left it’s home country of Japan. Whilst the west was introduced to the series on DS, this original entry was a GBA game. However, it arrived quite late in the GBA lifespan, after the DS was available, so localising it was probably not worth the effort.

ImageImage

Rhythm Tengoku is a rhythm game made by the WarioWare devs, and it shows. The game features a whole bunch of zany and quirky rhythm mini-games, and you’ll be tasked with helping a bunny bounce along whales to the moon, shooting ghosts with a bow and arrow, plucking stray whiskers from turnips with tweezers and more. Whilst the scenarios are crazy, the games are really simple to pick up and play – most games simply require you to tap the A button with the right timing, although a couple also use the b button and d-pad.

ImageImage

Rhythm Tengoku is also a game that can often be played with your eyes shut, as most of the button cues are done via the games audio, with the visuals often deliberately trying to distract you. The combination of this factor and the easy controls mean that it’s generally a pretty easy game to play without knowing Japanese, which is nice. The toughest mini game is early on where marching instructions are shouted out in Japanese, but you can pick it up pretty easily overall. I do suspect we’re missing out on some funny dialogue in the tutorial sections, but luckily enough there’s a fan translation out there so you can play that if you want.

ImageImage

Of the game in the series, the mini game selection here is probably the weakest batch – it’s still solid, but they tend to be both shorter and less intricate that later games, likely due to the cartridge limitations. Speaking of which, the elephant in the room here is the GBA’s audio quality – luckily, this game’s music holds up really well despite the GBAs limitations, and it was never something I thought was to the games detriment.

Overall, Rhythm Tengoku is a fun experience. If you’ve played all the other ones, you should definitely pick up the game and see how the series started, but if you’re new to the franchise, the DS, Wii or 3DS entries are likely better places to start.

Recommended listening:
Obviously being a rhythm game, this game is full of great music, but here's one I really like. This is from a rhythm game where you're a very tall girl who joins a tap dancing troupe made entirely of monkeys. Your biggest fan is a giraffe. Rhythm Tengoku is kinda weird.

Click the image below to listen!

Portal 2

Portal 2 is a game I’ve played before, years and years ago. I beat it even. But the thing is, I only played the (admittedly excellent) multiplayer mode, and had never sat down and played through the story mode. So, seeing as I was challenged to beat the game by NoiseRedux over in my challenge thread, I decided it was time to sit down and play through it at last.

Portal 2 in many ways is more of the same since the first game. There’s more of a focus on story and building the lore than previously and the game is also a bit longer now it’s being put out as a full retail release. You wake up at the start of the game in the same test facility as before, only you get more of a glimpse at the back end of the facility. You are awoken by a module droid-thing called Wheatley, who warns you that you need to try and leave as things are going wrong at the facility. Wheatley is very stupid, so your journey with him is always quite fun. It’s not long though before GLaDoS is reawakened and your mission changes to ‘take out GLaDoS’. There’s lots of twists and turns throughout the plot, but the game is still funny throughout. I did feel like the character of Cave Johnson got old fast though.

Mechanically, you can still create two portals which link together, but the focus on this time, rather than increasing complexity using existing mechanics, is the introduction of new level gimmicks. Early on these take the forms of obstacles such as hard light walls and bridges that can be repositioned with portals, or lasers that need to be pointed at switched. In the latter half of the game, the focus is on gels which can be used to paint surfaces – blue gel makes you bounce into the air, orange gel lets you run faster, and white gel can be used to turn a wall into a surface that a portal can be applied to.

These new mechanics are fun, but I feel the game has much more minimal ways to utilise the portals – many of the puzzle areas only have a few surfaces that portals can be applied to, and it feels less flexible than the first game. The environments can be really big too, and in particular the areas between puzzle rooms often end up feeling like pixel hunts to search for the one white wall 3 miles away that you can shoot a portal onto.

Overall, despite my feelings that Portal 2 is a less well rounded game than the first, it’s still a great game and massively enjoyable. It really is a must play title, just, you know, play the first one first.

Recommended listening:
Portal 2 has a soundtrack that's more atmospheric than catchy, which isn't to say that it's not good, just that I don't particularly remember any of it that well after finishing the game. There is one very obviously catchy song in the game though, which I've linked below - but be warned, it does contain some spoilers!

Click the image below below to listen!