Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Xeogred wrote:For my money DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Xbox are the best modern Japanese action games. Onimusha 3 also, despite not having the gorgeous pre-rendered backdrops of 1-2, it holds up really well gameplay wise.

It does make a certain degree of sense, given that both DMC and Onimusha were games that came out of attempts to make Resident Evil a more action-based game. First DMC was the offshoot of taking the game a direction they weren't quite happy with for an RE game but still liked, and then I wanna say Onimusha came out of something similar but for DMC, some glitch were you could make Dante swing his sword way faster than you should've been able to.

I wish we'd gotten an Onimusha collection like we did with DMC. Still gotta hunt all of those down on PS2 these days, where you can get all the DMC's on 360 these days super easy QwQ
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

@Elkin

Good job on Rush! That one gets tough, and I still haven’t beaten it yet. Did you get the hidden GlaDos levels?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

alienjesus wrote:I'm an action fan who likes a metal aesthetic and I still thought Devil May Cry was pretty bad. I just don't see what others see in it I guess.

I feel the same way about the game as I feel about God of War. It's an "okay" game overall, but leaves no big lasting impression. Terrible protagonist.

I don't like 3D games much as a general rule, though.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Yeah GoW is very low tier for me. Beat the first two but they were nothing special other than their big AAA budget and visuals. Your weapons swing across the entire screen, boring QTE everywhere, lack of combos, etc. Just doesn't compare to the Japanese action games at all to me.

PartridgeSenpai wrote:
Xeogred wrote:For my money DMC3 and Ninja Gaiden Xbox are the best modern Japanese action games. Onimusha 3 also, despite not having the gorgeous pre-rendered backdrops of 1-2, it holds up really well gameplay wise.

It does make a certain degree of sense, given that both DMC and Onimusha were games that came out of attempts to make Resident Evil a more action-based game. First DMC was the offshoot of taking the game a direction they weren't quite happy with for an RE game but still liked, and then I wanna say Onimusha came out of something similar but for DMC, some glitch were you could make Dante swing his sword way faster than you should've been able to.

I wish we'd gotten an Onimusha collection like we did with DMC. Still gotta hunt all of those down on PS2 these days, where you can get all the DMC's on 360 these days super easy QwQ

Yeah both were born from RE. Onimusha began development on the PSX with some footage available. DMC was originally their blueprint for RE4 and Shinji Mikami and co apparently still wanted some of that old European locations for RE4, so the environments are still amusingly very similar.

Last I heard typical of some companies not caring about their legacy content, the pre-rendered backdrops for Onimusha 1-2 may have been lost and it would have been a challenge for them to convert that from 4:3 to widescreen... however other remasters have done that by this point. And the other big issue is that Onimusha used a lot of Japanese actors' faces for their characters, so there might be some licensing hell there. I'm sure we would have had some collections by now but yeah, seems like there's a lot of complications here. God forbid they could at least reboot it or make a sequel with new characters though, it was one of their biggest selling franchises for years even after the PS2 gen. Onimusha 4 was horrible though so maybe that also left a bad after taste on everyone.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
14. Super Turrican* (SNES)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2* (SNES)
16. Super Turrican 2* (SNES)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
18. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
19. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 2: DualShock* [Claire A/Leon B] (PSX)
21. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
22. Resident Evil HD* (PS4) [PLATINUM]
23. Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares* (PS4)
24. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition* (PS4) [Vergil]
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
26. Nioh (PS4)
27. Super Mario Bros 3Mix (NES Romhack)
28. Yakuza 6 (PS4)
29. Metroid: Rogue Dawn (NES Romhack)
30. Front Mission: Gun Hazard (SNES)
31. Metroid II: Return of Samus (GB)
32. The Guardian Legend (NES)
33. Brain Lord (SNES)

* = replay

Sorry guys, but all I can say is hallelujah this slog is finally over with. It turns out the second dungeon is the only one I really liked. This game has plenty of great ideas and some charm to be found but it's just far too rough around the edges and chalk full of some flat out bad and annoying game design. Also one of the most uneven OST's I've come across in a long time, some tracks are excellent and some will drive you mad. The slow-down is among the worst I've ever seen on the SNES as well and it doesn't matter what you're doing, trying to fight multiple enemies at at time, or use two Jade's at once, or trying to stay alive platforming with wonky controls... prepare for the most insane slowdown you'll ever see anywhere you go. The hit detection is really sloppy too, both in attacking enemies and when you just run into walls and such which can stop you in your tracks... this is especially troublesome during heavy platforming moments. The controls themselves aren't the smoothest either, it's a case of diagonal barely working... but this game doesn't care with its onslaught of annoying platforming parts and pits. Awkward diagonal jumping hoping you make it, without hitting anything that'll stop you in your jump, or praying that the framerate doesn't dip below 5 frames or whatever... yikes!

ImageImage

These two sections were flat out rotten bologna. The caves area is a gimmick where whenever you enter this MASSIVE room with several exits, these giant boulders are completely RANDOMIZED and you can't do a damn thing about them. To add insult to injury, you find a "Great Axe" in this cave with a description that mentions it's so powerful it can crush boulders... but of course not these boulders. So have fun entering and exiting these rooms several times over hoping you get the correct RNG to get to the next door you need to get to, or even backtrack. How is this fun? And I mentioned bad music. Almost had to mute this sucker during this section.

The second image from the final dungeon is just flat out unforgivable. ENORMOUS rooms in the last dungeon that are pitch black. I just so happened to be by a door and enemy in that screenshot, but otherwise you will see NOTHING but yourself in these rooms. You have to aimlessly run into walls until you stop moving to know you hit a wall... then pick any direction, FUN? Earlier in the game, you get a special Jade that is used to light up dark rooms. Doesn't do a damn thing here. Even referencing maps doesn't make this any easier and I almost thought I was completely stuck in one of the larger rooms of this dreaded "Dark Zone". Horrendous idea and like a third or fourth of the entire final dungeon is made up of these sections.

Nothing to say about the story/characters.

Definitely some C-tier level stuff. Don't hate that I finished it but I think I would have dipped out of this if it was longer than it was. I have to imagine it would have taken twice as long if I didn't reference maps or a FAQ... and not really in a fun way. Just way too much trial and error here for my tastes and some lame ideas. I'd give this like an average 5-6/10 or something overall. Worth it for big ARPG fans like myself but prepare to rage throughout the experience.

Guess it's maybe good to get some perspective, I love beating up on Illusion of Gaia which is lower end Quintet for me... but it blows Brain Lord away in my book. If you've played all of Square Soft's and Quintet's ARPG's, then I can maybe recommend this one. Still a tough sell though. A sequel probably would have fixed a lot of issues.
Last edited by Xeogred on Mon May 14, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

This is a Produce game.

The 7th Saga is god tier.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

A legit way to name drop The 7th Saga again... :lol:

Anything else by them worth checking out? Mystic Ark looks promising.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Mystic Ark is like a pseudo-sequel to The 7th Saga. Solid game, but not as awesome as the predecessor.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
26. Nioh (PS4)
28. Yakuza 6 (PS4)
33. Brain Lord (SNES)
34. Assault Suits Valken (SNES)

* = replay

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Fun quick romp following up on Gun Hazard and its same engine. The one thing I like about this (and Metal Warriors) is that you don't take damage from enemies dying, while you do in Gun Hazard haha. Not a huge deal there though since health is always aplenty. But that's not the case with Valken here which was pretty tough in spots, especially some of the bosses. I should have tested out the different control schemes available first, I think one of them locks your aim in place while firing which probably would have been useful during some the airborne dog fights. But overall really fun stuff for sure. Amazing graphics and a great OST. Think it has multiple endings and I got a very bad one, haha. But otherwise looks like I played every level so that's fine with me.

Heard there were a few glitches with the English patches and I did encounter some messed up graphics, also got stuck in one area. But I was using save states thankfully. Otherwise the Aeon Genesis v1.0 release is very good with the script and all the stuff this version has over Cybernator apparently, character portraits, no censorship, and no pausing during in game dialogue at points... but I couldn't exactly read much anyways when I'm focused on blowing things up. :lol:
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
26. Nioh (PS4)
28. Yakuza 6 (PS4)
33. Brain Lord (SNES)
34. Assault Suits Valken (SNES)
35. Black Mesa (PC) [May2018]

* = replay

The unofficial-gone-semi-official remake of Half-Life 1 is virtually complete by this point in 2018, aside from Xen still not being done. On one hand I wasn't a fan of the Xen portion of the original anyways but it would be interesting to see what they can pull off with it in this remaster. Overall, this was a fantastic experience and a nice way to take a trip back through Black Mesa and the original, this feels 110% like an authentic and perfectly faithful re-imagining of the original game to the point that I think I'd rather replay this instead of the actual original going forward. Although it's the Source Engine and brings over a lot of elements from Half-Life 2, a lot of the core mechanics are still more like Half-Life 1 so it's this cool middle ground of some elements between the two games. It's got the physics and breakable objects but your crowbar attacks are still humorously fast and funny, enemy AI doesn't seem quite as advanced as the Combine or anything but it's still very good. I actually thought a lot of the facelift reminded me of FEAR often with the textures and the general environment of the huge urban and scientific base.

I'm a bigger fan of 2 but I really do love how the first game and this perfect remake has this neat Metroid-esque atmosphere with you spending a lot of time in an isolated enormous labyrinth. The platforming is still really fun and something I appreciate, I wish more modern FPS's still had stuff like this (Doom 4 did a good job at it). Overall I highly recommend this, it's incredible.

Took 55 screenshots:
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/765 ... pid=362890