Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by noiseredux Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:49 pm

Ah ok. Then we just really went slow I guess haha.
ConsoleHandheldGamer
16-bit

by ConsoleHandheldGamer Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:18 am

1. Mario Kart 7

I bought this on sale and it's the first Mario Kart game I've played since Mario Kart DS. I beat all the cups with just Toad. It's making me consider buying Mario Kart Wii (my brother already has Mario Kart 8 which I haven't touched).

2. Picross e8

I am rather obsessed with picross. I beat 5 picross games last year (including Picross DS). I refuse to play Mega Picross though.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:39 am

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 definitely features a range of subtle improvements over the first game while maintaining the look, sound, and overall feel of its predecessor. These improvements, however, definitely mark it as a much superior game to the first Rescue Rangers.

I think you're the first person I've ever seen that likes CnDRR2 more than CnDRR1. :| I'm just glad you enjoyed one of them at any rate.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:56 am

Nex Machina.

Took me a while to get back to this one and beat it. This is a fantastic twin-stick shooter but holy balls it keeps you on your toes. It's so insanely fast-paced but so damn fun! It controls really smooth and very responsive but this game is not afraid to throw a ton of enemies at you and different varieties at once. Each stage takes roughly 5 minutes but boy that is the longest 5 minutes at times. Like any HM game, you can save humans for bonus items and points. You really want to as the shield is your best friend..that and the spread gun upgrade. Spread gun not just for Contra anymore. The last couple of stages get insane! I died so many times as it's really tough to dodge bullet hell and lasers and 50 enemies on a small stage. You need to always be moving and never stop shooting. The bosses are varied enough but sadly a little easy compared to the stages themselves. Sure they start hurling more at you when you get them down to certain stages of health but never bullet hell like sections of the stage itself. You also have a fair amount of space to work with on a boss except the final boss but even that was pretty easy compared to some others. The OST is typical HM tunes which are great and have that nice 80s synth sound to them. It's a great game and very much worth a purchase esp if you like arcade like experiences!

dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:58 am

I spent last year delving into a lot of Housemarque's stuff past Super Stardust and Resogun (both of which I have loved for years) and was never disappointed. I still need to give Matterfall a look...but I can happily recommend you try Dead Nation and Alienation (as well as all versions of Super Stardust and Resogun) if you loved Nex Machina and haven't tried those yet.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:36 am

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 13
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24

13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24

EDF! EDF! EDF! Global Defence Force, otherwise known as Earth Defense Force 2, is the second game in the EDF series and the first to be released outside of Japan (although, unfortunately, not in North America until the Vita port a couple years ago). I mean, if you've played one EDF game, you've pretty much played them all - dozens of levels full of massive robots and insects to kill - but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go ahead and play them all. EDF!

Global Defence Force is a simple game for simple people. It's a wildly over-the-top third person shooter where you run around and kill 30 foot bugs. That's it. There's no story other than "Giant insects are attacking! Save the world!" There are no non-generic character. There's no experience or leveling up. Just 71 levels of bug-killing glory. It's a low budget cheap thrills game, and it feels like one, and that's okay. You don't watch a Steven Seagal flick for a powerful narrative, and you don't play EDF for deep gameplay. The levels are balanced like a low budget game, too; even in the middle of the game, some will feel really easy and be over in less than five minutes whereas others will be 10 or 20 minutes of harrowing near-death combat.

Because the game was only released in Europe and Japan, and I have a North American PS2, I had to play this on an emulator despite owning a retail copy of the game. I normally have ways of getting around region locks, but the PS2 have a particularly robust region lock that - as far as I'm aware - you can't bypass safely without a hardware modification. Anyway, because I played on an emulator (though still using a real disc), I spent most of the game thinking "Wow, this really doesn't look much different from the 360/PS3 EDF games." Not sure if that's a complement to EDF2 or an insult to EDF3 and EDF 4. Regardless, I eventually (and accidentally) discovered the hotkey to switch from hardware resolution to software resolution, seeing the game at the PS2's native craptastic 480i. Jesus Christ, it very quickly stopped looking the later games. It didn't look bad by any means (considering the low budget nature of the game), but it certainly didn't impress like it did when I was playing it at 4x the software resolution.

Above - ​1440p Below - 480p

The game features two player co-op, making this game PERFECT for getting hella drunk with a friend and blowing up giant bugs together. There's really not a whole lot more to say about the game. The music is fine although the loops are pretty short, so it can get annoying after a while. Rather than record little English voice clips for the in-game dialogue like they did in the later games, they just removed it entirely when localizing from the Japan, so it can feel rather awkward with short, repetitive music interrupted only by explosions and the screams of dying 50 foot spiders. Just turn the music volume off and blast some Rob Zombie, though; it makes everything better.

Global Defence Force is not a game that most folks would describe as "really good." It is, however, the second entry in one of my all-time favorite game series. It's the kind of stupid, mindless carnage and fun that people go to 80's action movies and MMA fights. It's utterly pointless, but it's an absolute blast to play especially if you've got friends. The visuals aren't the flashiest, and the frame rate tanks frequently, but as long time fans will you tell you, that's just one of EDF's quirks. You're gonna have a real hard time playing this one legitimately if you're not Japanese or European, but it's absolutely worth it to play however you can; when it comes to EDF, I won't ask about the legitimacy of your method. ;-) That said, though, it's objectively not a great game. It's just a really fun mediocre game.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:06 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:

Previously: 2016 2017

* indicates a repeat

1. Tyranny (PC)
2. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)
3. SUPERHOT (PC)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)*
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)

6. Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)

This game has interested me for a while, but I just wasn't really buying new games much last year. It's taken me a while to really get to it, but I'm damn happy I did! This is a brilliant SRPG and is probably now my favorite in the genre. The writing, music, gameplay, design; everything is just so fantastically woven together for a fantastic whole. For the record, I completed every level and challenge, getting gold on nearly every level and never trying easy mode (also was never able to try out the co-op stages).

The conceit is certainly an odd one: Rabbids get meshed into the Mario universe and the ensuing mayhem needs to be cleaned up by a team of Mario-themed Rabbids and their Mario gang counterparts in a modern X-com-style gunplay bonanza. That said, this game had me giggling to myself all the time with how funny it makes the Rabbids in this context. As someone who never really cared for them in the past, this was a very pleasant surprise :)

The mechanics are really unlike any other SRPG I've played, but they allow for a lot of really clever stuff. Like an X-com, it has both full and partial cover your character can hop into, but the percentages are absolute. In full cover, you cannot be hit from behind it, while partial cover is a 50/50 chance, and no cover is a 100% hit. Of the 8 characters, each has a combination of abilities that makes then well suited for different play styles with an according skill tree you can use to upgrade or alter abilities in addition to new weapons you can find and buy. But even though I played through the game mostly never deviating from my team of Mario, Luigi, and one other (who eventually was permanently Rabbid Yoshi), I never felt cornered into a mission that felt like it required a certain character's ability set to complete it, even for the gold.

Each member of your 3-man team can do 3 moves a turn in their main fire (of which they have a standard gun which they can fire any time as well as an AOE-focused sub-weapon with a cooldown), movement (which can be used to both slide-dash enemies for an extra bit of damage as well as to team-jump on a team mate to get across the map), and a buff/debuff which both have cooldowns (such as drawing in or pushing away enemies, raising your team's power, or having that character go on overwatch (i.e. they fire when an enemy enters their line of sight) to name but a few). To add to this, while there is a movement allowance, they can move and do any number of things within that range. For example, if you want to dash-attack 3 enemies (if that player has that upgrade) all in opposite directions, then go a 4th direction to launch a team jump, that's totally okay. Given that many enemies have these same capabilities, it makes for a really tense atmosphere.

The biggest problems the game has are in player information and quality of life departments. A Fire Emblem-style toggle to show the maximum attack range of enemies would be REALLY nice compared to the existing system of hovering over one to see that individual enemy's maximum attack or movement range /from their current location/. Add on top of that the fact that where exactly tiles on the game-grid are is pretty difficult to suss out, and it's an immense chore, often totally impossible, to tell if you're going to be safe in a bit of cover you're about to move into.

Another big problem is the lack of an undo-button for movement. While the game does tell you if you have line of sight against enemies to the tile you're about to move to, for Luigi and Rabbid Peach's chasing, explosive sentry-bot (imo, the best weapon in the game), it doesn't. This leads to glass cannon Luigi often getting into places you think he can wipe out an enemy group from when in fact they are out of range of the sentry. This combined with how there is no movement confirmation can lead you often into mis-clicking the space next to where you wanted to go, placing you right in a line of fire. An undo-button would've been a god-send for this game, or at least the option for one. This said, these are but minor complaints on an otherwise fantastic game. With the addition of the easy mode, the stated problems won't be an issue for someone unless they're trying to complete EVERYTHING on the standard difficulty while trying for a gold-rank (as I did).

Verdict: Highly recommended. I'm not usually a fan of SRPG's, but this one is freaking brilliant. The small 3-man teams combined with the simple level-up trees and weapon upgrades make it very accessible to get into, but the very clever combat system makes it an easy-to-learn but tough-to-master game system that had me legitimately upset when the whole game was said and done. I basically never go back to games for DLC's, but when the new Donkey Kong-based story DLC comes out in a few months for this, I very well likely will come back to this fantastical adventure :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:29 pm

@dishwasher

How did you access those Dezaemon Plus fan games? Do they just come bundled with a Dezaemon Plus download?

Quite the intriguing series. I'm only familiar with the N64 installment, oddly enough.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:45 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:@dishwasher

How did you access those Dezaemon Plus fan games? Do they just come bundled with a Dezaemon Plus download?

Quite the intriguing series. I'm only familiar with the N64 installment, oddly enough.

They do! They are at the bottom of the screen used to access save data, and they are labeled “contest winners” or something to the effect.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks!
Return to General Gaming