Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by dsheinem Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:41 pm

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:
noiseredux wrote:3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram (Xbox One)

My wife and I co-oped the anniversary event which is effectively a remake of the sixteen levels from the first Diablo, pixelated graphics and all. The event is only available in January, so time is running out if you're interested. We made fresh characters just to play through the first Diablo campaign fresh. It was a good time.

Oh, shit. i didn't know they were taking this away. I never finished regular Diablo 1 and I thought this would be a good chance to try to play through that story again but through the eyes of a game I adore (Diablo 3). About how long does it take to play through?

We played leisurely and hit some of the side quest stuff and banged it out in like 3 hrs or so.

We did kind of rush the last quarter of levels too though.

Nice. I think this will be my afternoon tomorrow, then! Always looking for a good excuse to get back into D3.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:52 pm

Are they going to bring the Diablo 1 thing to PS4?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:57 pm

Segata wrote:Are they going to bring the Diablo 1 thing to PS4?

It is on PC and consoles, but only in January.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:43 pm

This is the second year they've done it; it's the January event. Also, it's not really D1 in D3, it's more D3 as inspired by D1. So still using the D3 tilesets, monsters that best approximate the right monster distribution, and only a handful of boss monsters that already existed in D3 that fit well into the D1 story.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:

Previously: 2016 2017

* indicates a repeat

1. Tyranny (PC)
2. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)
3. SUPERHOT (PC)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)*

5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)

I've been meaning to play through this game since it came out and finally got around to it. I certainly can't say I was dissapointed! It's a puzzle game where you use each joystick to control a different brother through an adventure to save their dad. The story is by far the best part, but it's also just a really solid puzzle adventure game. I'd been told it was a masterpiece in storytelling through mechanics, and damn if that ain't true.

Verdict: Highly recommended. I don't really have much to say on this that hasn't already been said. If you want a game that blends its story and mechanics like no other, this is it.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Flake

by Flake Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:32 pm

January

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSi ware)

4th game of the year! This year Elkin and I have a shared theme for the games we play: Beat the stuff that is already purchased. In keeping with this theme, I dug WAAAY into the backlog to a game I downloaded on my DSiXL back in the day and then never played...even once.

Here is why that is significant - I traded that DSiXL in for a launch 3DS which I then traded in for a 3DSXL which I then traded in for a Super Mario and Luigi themed 3DSXL which I then traded in for a New 3DS XL. That is 5 iterations of the DS that I had this game downloaded on and never touched.

It's a shame that I didn't bother with it because it's actually a really good game. Right off the bat, it's clear that it's more of a series of Mario Mini vignettes than full levels. The DSiWare platform had some really strict limits on file size due to both the speed of the wireless adapter in the machine as well as the size of flash storage at the time. One thing about file size limitations is that it can sometimes inform good game design. Fluff or filler gets thrown away and the experience gets condensed into a purer form.

Mario vs Donkey Kong's levels are designed so that the simplest plans work best. When you try to get too many minis doing too much at the same time, you usually end up failing the level. The gameplay lets you 'bank' pink squares that you can use to fill in the map on the fly to keep the Lemming like Mario Minis from committing suicide or walking into disaster. There aren't a lot of enemies and those that you see are generally necessary to solve the level - a type of game design that I have always liked ever since Wario Land 2.

Except for introducing a few new elements here and there, the levels mostly play the same which isn't bad. There are boss fights where you have to use the stylus to aim cannons full of mini Marios at Donkey Kong or areas near him to damage him. I enjoyed these parts more than I thought I would since you have to balance attacking with not shooting your Mario Mini's into traps or debris that will cause them to break, leaving you with no ammunition.

I don't know if this game is still playable for most - I think that DSiWare was taken down a year or two ago. But if you need a game to pad out January and have this socked away, it's only about 3 hours from beginning to end. For completionists, there are remixed levels unlocked after the main story.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:43 pm

Proud of you homie. I think you're already at your normal amount of games beaten for a whole year. I'm gonna be strong this year; 11 more months of only-backlogged games!
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:15 pm

MrPopo wrote:This is the second year they've done it; it's the January event. Also, it's not really D1 in D3, it's more D3 as inspired by D1. So still using the D3 tilesets, monsters that best approximate the right monster distribution, and only a handful of boss monsters that already existed in D3 that fit well into the D1 story.

Yeah, I just played through it...I think? I got the “beat all 4 bosses” achievement and a pet reward. Is that it, then? It took like an hour and didn’t remind me much of the few hours I’ve spent with D1 at all. :lol:

Still fun, though! :D
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:23 pm

Dave, did you start a new character to do it with? I imagine it's super easy with an existing leveled up character. (Not that it was hard with a lvl1, but it took longer). Plus we took time exploring each level in full. Anyway, a note - it's lame but you get no achievements for doing it co-op.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:28 pm

noiseredux wrote:Dave, did you start a new character to do it with? I imagine it's super easy with an existing leveled up character. (Not that it was hard with a lvl1, but it took longer). Plus we took time exploring each level in full. Anyway, a note - it's lame but you get no achievements for doing it co-op.

Yup, I did it w/a level 1. Ended around level 21.
Return to General Gaming