Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by laurenhiya21 »

I have to catch up to my reviews too haha. I only have two more after this one though.

8/16: Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
There are many games in the Tales of series that I really should have played first, as I have not played most of the highly praised ones, but I really wanted to play on the Vita and I randomly decided to play Tales of Hearts R. I have heard very little praise for the game, but I still wanted to give it a shot and I’m glad I did.

The story of the game centers around Kor and his quest to gather the shards of Kohaku’s Spiria (which acts as a soul for a person), which of course eventually leads to saving the whole world. It’s a fairly simple story overall, but I was fine with that since a lot of the character interactions were interesting in some scenes and funny in others. I really enjoyed all of the main characters you can play as, with sometimes Kor being the exception. He’s just so incredibly dumb and loud that he did get on my nerves at times, but at least he was genuinely trying to do the right thing without trying to show off all the time like many loud anime protagonists might do. One other thing to note about the story/characters is that the translation can be a little bonkers at times. A lot of times it feels like someone decided that the original dialogue wasn’t good enough as is and decided to turn the puns and cheese up to eleven. As an example, Kor’s catchphrase is “Kor doesn’t TRY, Kor DOES!”, which sounds really odd to me especially since he doesn’t normally refer to himself in first person. Another example that’s just really weird, during amore serious cutscene where the team is confronting a bad leader guy, Kor says this to him:

I now sort of have an idea what the insult is suppose to mean, but it’s still just such a weird thing to say. I’m not sure if this is actually what the original Japanese dialogue was saying, but it certainly feels a bit out of place to me. That being said, the dialogue often was good for a laugh, even if it wasn’t suppose to.

From what I can tell, the gameplay is pretty typical for a Tales of game. Battles are in a side view (but you can move around freely if needed) and are go by very quickly, which your smashing though the monsters with both regular attacks and Artes. Outside of that, it’s mostly talking to random people, maybe doing a side quest or two, or looking around the overworld for various goodies. One aspect that I think is a bit different though is the Soma sphere thing, which acts as a sort of skill tree. As the characters level up they get a certain number of points, which they can allocate to several categories on the Soma sphere thingy. Each category levels up certain stats and at certain milestones, upgrades will be unlocked such as weapons, Artes, and skills. You can see what upgrades are available in each category so you can choose what you want to go for first, but you have to go through each category’s list of upgrades in the order they appear. So if one category has a nice weapon you want but it’s way down the list, you’ll have to unlock whatever is before it first. It’s not really a complicated system, which was fine with me but it may be disappointing to those who really like diving deep into skill trees.

Everything else about the game is just alright. The soundtrack is just there, graphics are fine but nothing special, and there wasn’t really anything else that stuck out as being really bad or really good. So overall while I did enjoy the game enough to beat it, it definitely didn’t blow me away either. If you haven’t played a Tales of game before, I don’t think I would recommend this to be your first, but I think it’s an alright game if you don’t set your expectations to high.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

laurenhiya21 wrote:I have to catch up to my reviews too haha. I only have two more after this one though.

Don't feel bad, I'm still one or two behind. :oops:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

I'm officially more up to date with my reviews than you guys now, clearly you're doing something wrong!
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

AJ, that post was epic. I generally skim through when someone updates that quantity of games, but they were all succinct yet informative enough that I read through them all. Helps that I either already like or have interest in most of the games there, too. Solid taste, solid writing.

Good stuff!
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

alienjesus wrote:I'm officially more up to date with my reviews than you guys now, clearly you're doing something wrong!

Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

great post, AJ
Ack

Post by Ack »

Terrible post, aj.

I kid, I kid. That was excellent. And I loathe Mega Man 8.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC
21. Battletech - PC
22. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part I - PC
23. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part II - PC
24. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch
25. Pillars of Eternity II - PC
26. Dragon Ball FighterZ - PS4
27. Detroit: Become Human - PC4
28. Call of Duty: United Offensive - PC
29. The Last of Us - PS4
30. The Last of Us: Left Behind - PS4
31. Prey: Mooncrash - PC
32. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4
33. Resident Evil 7 - PC
34. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero - PC
35. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War III - PC
36. Overwhelm - PC
37. Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation - PC
38. Hard Reset Redux - PC
39. Nier: Automata - PS4
40. Darksiders - PC
41. The Banner Saga 3 - PC
42. Guacamelee! 2 - PC

So this game snuck up on me; I didn't even realize it was coming out until I saw a Polygon interview with the dev team about the changes they made between the first game and this one. For the most part, the changes are in the pacing of teaching you abilities and a handful of new chicken abilities, making it a much more interesting form (rather than a glorified morph ball like it was before). Guacamelee! 2 is definitely one of those "more of the same" sequels, which certainly isn't a bad thing. I'd also say that the challenges top out at a harder difficulty than the first game (but they're also optional), so that's the big draw for people looking for something new.

The game starts at the last boss of the first game (though you're hilariously powered up and he's hilariously powered down; it's for story purposes) to quickly introduce you to the setting. This is important, as you are introduced to the idea that there are a bunch of parallel timelines, and you happen to be the only Juan who won in his timeline. The new bad guy is from the "Darkest Timeline", where after your character died a new luchador took up the mask and beat the final boss. However, this is not without consequence, and now this new hero, Salvador, is dying, and is willing to go to any length to prevent that. And that includes tampering with divine forces that threaten the entire multiverse with destruction. So you have to go to the "Darkest Timeline" to stop him.

The gameplay is still the metroidvania with the mobility moves also being combat moves, with color coded enemy shields that correspond to each of your moves. There is now a skill tree, which lets you buff yourself over time (and you'll finish the whole thing by the end of the game, so the important thing is to take the skills that appeal to you early). The game supports four player co-op, though I can't imagine how that will go given the precise platforming and timing with the live/dead dimension hopping. It's fast and furious and keeps you on your toes throughout the game.

The optional challenges for the best ending are a post-doctoral study in your movement options, and frankly they are far too frustrating for my tastes. You have to do an obstacle course in a single go and it is LONG and requires very precise timing for each of them. If you can make it through all four you get some kind of good ending (I haven't looked it up on the youtubes yet), but unlike Guacamelee! 1 this game's "bad" ending is still quite good. So I'm guessing the good ending is even more good.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Kingkongkool

Post by Kingkongkool »

My list isn't as impressive as some people's, but I have my fair share.

Call of Duty: Black Ops3
The Mummy Demastered
Top Gear 2
Crash Banidcoot: N Sane Trilogy
Double Dragon Advance
:wink:
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

Thanks for the appreciation on the omega post guys! It took me 2 nights to write it all up and it comes in at almost 6000 words overall! I'm actually impressed the forum let me fit it all in one post...

Maybe I'll even try and keep up with my beaten game reviews now. Or maybe there's be another humungo-post come December :lol: