Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by dsheinem »

I picked up the Switch port of MWIII last week when it was on sale for $10 and so far (about a half an hour) am quite liking it. Is that the only game in the series to get this particular kind of remaster treatment?
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

dsheinem wrote:I picked up the Switch port of MWIII last week when it was on sale for $10 and so far (about a half an hour) am quite liking it. Is that the only game in the series to get this particular kind of remaster treatment?

Yep. It's a great game; that coat of paint is absolutely beautiful. The gameplay held up really nicely, because under that pretty veneer, it's still (mostly) the same game. I'd love to see other games in the series with this sort of treatment; Monster World IV is legit.

Couple of games beaten: Gotzendiener and Mighty Final Fight. The former held so much promise, but is too short, too buggy, and too unfinished to be any sort of hidden gem. 4/10. The latter is still one of my favorite beat-'em-ups, and while I wasn't looking to get an early start on the June TR, I ended up blasting through with a splendid run that saw me hit max level with Haggar at the start of Level 4 (that's really quick, y'all), and also finish without continuing (and that wasn't very close, either). It's either an 8.5 or 9.0.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

dsheinem wrote:I picked up the Switch port of MWIII last week when it was on sale for $10 and so far (about a half an hour) am quite liking it. Is that the only game in the series to get this particular kind of remaster treatment?

How 'bout this?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/5238 ... y_Returns/
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Mafia 3 for PS4. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1-20

21. Deadbolt (Steam)
22. Legend of Grimrock 2 (Steam)
23. The Witness (PS4)
24. Uurnog (PC)

25. Super Mario World (SNES Classic)*

I was testing out the SNES Classic to see how comfortable it was to play in its current position in the new room, and it actually didn't work. Looking around on the Nintendo support site, it turns out because it's because I was using such a giant HDMI cable and the SNES Classic only works with a 10ft or shorter cable. After I finally got it working I ended up beating all of Super Mario World. I didn't exactly wake up this morning with the intention of beating every exit without having activated any switch palaces, but I'd never done it before, so I thought why not give myself an interesting challenge. It certainly did make the game a fair bit harder, if not mostly because not having those extra mushrooms and feathers in later castles REALLY starts to suck after a while Xp

Maybe it's because of the HDMI on the SNES Classic, or maybe it's because of just how big this TV I'm using is and how close I sit to it, but there were just so many small graphical things I noticed during this playthrough. Stuff like how the little red guys with spikes that hug walls while they climb around are Buzzy Beetles or some other, and how Yoshi has little orange arms I've somehow never seen before. It was also a bit weird just how quickly I beat it. It only took me a few hours to 100% the game. I guess I've just never done it in one sitting like this, so it's never occurred to me just how quickly you can completely beat that game if you know what you're doing.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. It's still the classic it always was and it's still absolutely amazing. I'm not sure it's my favorite 2D Mario game, but it's still one I'll always have a ton of nostalgia for and love either way <3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

35. Xenoblade Chronicles

After 80 hours I've finally finished this JRPG. Since I talked about it on this forum while I was playing earlier this year, I figured I'd provide some closure with some brief thoughts...

Top 5 things I liked about XC:

A unique, beautiful, and innovative setting.
XC provides a palpable sense of exploration.
The best graphics you will ever see on Wii.
An absolutely amazing OST.
Fiora's derrière is magnifique.

Top 5 things I didn't like:

Short sighted battle system that is badly designed, cumbersome, and increasingly tedious.
A lame overwrought plot with a boring husk of a main character.
Party AI is absolutely, infuriatingly abysmal.
The last 25% of XC is a grindy, monotonous, buzzkill slog.
XC constantly abuses the ever living hell out the Wii's disc drive.

Overall:

When it was released in the west, many gamers proclaimed Xenoblade Chronicles "the savoir of the JRPG". It's true that Xenoblade Chronicles represents a ton of development work, and is an amazing technical accomplishment for its platform. But any discerning RPG veteran would be hard-pressed to ignore XC's biggest faults; an inept combat system, a simply bad plot, reams of pointless shallow side quests, unbalanced endgame, hours of grinding required if you don't do the side quests, and a play time that's twice as long as it should be. For most folks this won't matter, because hey wow they're running across the beautiful carcass of a dead god. I probably had my hopes too high going in (thanks internet), but this savoir didn't lead me to any promised land. 7/10
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Oh, right, I forgot how badly it hits the disc drive. It's pretty brutal. I don't remember if I swapped over to USB Loader GX at some point or not. Now I'm really curious. :)

Glad you pushed through it. I don't know why I didn't have a whole lot of grinding issues at the end, but it may be because I did so many quests beforehand. I didn't want to miss any of the "missable" ones. Thankfully, this is something they did away with in the sequels.

Don't ignore the others, even if this one didn't stick. I'm not saying go run out and buy them immediately, but some of the rougher edges have been smoothed off. The inventory management, in particular.

EDIT: Yep, that's exactly what I did. Found my old Talking Time post where I installed USB Loader GX, and I started the game back up on here not long after. It makes a load of difference for your drive, that's for sure.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:may be because I did so many quests beforehand

I did like three side quests, accidentally. I am sure if you do the side quests as you go along that helps keeps your leveling up. But these side quests are the most boring imaginable. Of the ~450 side quests at least 98% of them were "collect X amount of X item" or "kill X amount of X enemy". Nope not doing that. I know this was because of the MMORPG influence, I get it. I also did not bother with rebuilding colony 6 at all. Most of my 80 hours was spent fully exploring and filling out every inch of the maps. And then five hours of grinding at the very end just to be able kill the final boss rush. I'm sure there's powerful secretive gear and optimal party configurations I didn't know about, but I don't play RPGs with guides.

Sarge wrote:Don't ignore the others, even if this one didn't stick.

I've got the one on Wii U. I'll mess with it someday. The best part of XC for me was the exploration. I understand the Wii U sequel doubles down on the exploration, so that's a good start.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

That was my favorite bit, too. XCX definitely has a lot of it; that world is massive. The story was "eh", and the combat was... well, I think it depends on your class how well it goes. Much like the other games, enemies feel like they have a bit too much HP for my tastes. It didn't help that I chose a class initially that takes a long time to build up, but by the end, I was much more efficiently dealing damage. (Galactic Knight, I think.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:Much like the other games, enemies feel like they have a bit too much HP for my tastes.

Agreed. And Monolith Soft can often get carried away with that (see Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier).

For what it's worth, Monolith Soft's Soma Bringer has a lot in common with Xenoblade Blade, although it proceeded XC by two years. Monolith Soft definitely used ideas from Soma Bringer to build upon. But I think Soma Bringer is the better game. Unfortunately SB never received an official localization so hardly anyone's bothered to play it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.