Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1. Tyranny (PC)
2. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)
3. SUPERHOT (PC)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)*
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
6. Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)
7. Nine Parchments (Switch)
8. X-com: UFO Defense (PC)
9. Chocobo Racing (PS1)
10. Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak (GBA)

11. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)

Bogus has been talking in the Slack chat for a good couple weeks about how much fun he's been having with this game. I've had it for a while, and he finally convinced me to give it a go, and I'm very glad I did! It's certainly an odd gameplay mechanic and genre combo given the series, but just as with Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle, just because it looks odd at first doesn't mean it isn't a great game underneath. The game took me about 50 some odd hours to beat, and that was exploring every land and trying to find all the hidden stuff and side objectives in each of the four chapters.

The overall premise is basically the plot and setting of Dragon Quest 1 with the mechanics of Minecraft. A quite strange premise to be sure, but damn if it doesn't work well. Minecraft with a plot really doesn't sound engaging, but it is. The gameplay revolves around building up and guarding a town and doing quests for the villagers inside it. These quests often revolve around either collecting some resource for them or building a very specific building via a blueprint they provide. Gathering resources and building are intimately tied to fighting monsters, who play a dual role of both routinely attacking your town (and sometimes destroying large bits of it, if you aren't careful) and being the guardians/sources of required materials. The building, questing, and combat all support and complement one another, and the exploration that facilitates all of it really gives the game great flow where the player is free to set their own pace. You can spend ages making your town as perfectly defensible and/or beautiful as you want, or you can just do the bare minimum of practicality and get onto more exploration and monster-bashing.

The combat is fairly simple, with two types of weapons (hammers with overhead swings and swords with sideways swings) that you can swing ever so fast to do damage to what's in front of you. Weapons have a kind of cadence to their swings, as do monsters to how quickly they can actually take damage, so just mashing the button isn't actually the best way to max out your DPS. The monster damage input only really becomes a problem when you're fighting with your villagers (who will help defend the village and sometimes can be brought out exploring with you as very tough helpers), and the inputs of so many bits of damage can just stop registering when you have three villagers AND you all trying to wail on some bigg'un.

The maps, for the most part, are set in a kind of stone, but are slightly randomly generated. There are certain rare item locations that can be randomized as far as which cave they'll be in, but the world always has the same general look to it as far as where certain geographical and NPC monuments are (mountains, castles, etc). The islands themselves are actually quite faithful recreations of the land masses from Dragon Quest 1, with some obvious exceptions on how some continents are broken up into pieces now (which the game does comment on, but chalks it up to some foul magic of the Dragonlord that we couldn't hope to understand :P ).

The story is, in traditional Dragon Quest fashion, is quite tropey in its Western fantasy setting, but very clever in how it tells its story and has great character writing. The characters are colorful, entertaining, and memorable, and this story proves time and again that just because a character talks/acts silly doesn't mean they can't have a meaningful story behind them. The comedy is also well done, and there were more than a few lines that gave me a big chuckle. There are also quite a few jokes and references (particularly in the last chapter) to other Dragon Quest games or popular JRPG tropes that I couldn't help but take screenshots of :lol:

The only real negative slightly odd controls. The controls are really strange. For a game largely about adding and removing features, the place/use hotbar item button is square, while the attack/remove button is triangle. The X button is how you initiate most misc actions (activating crafting stations, opening doors, talking to people, etc) but also how you open up your game menu. Given how often you need to mash a button to break up blocks or break open heads, having triangle as that button while the far easily mashable X button is the seldom used menu button is an extremely strange design choice to me.

Another slight negative is the mission/quest design. Often, you can accomplish several tasks all at once by going to a location. You aren't the fastest runner, so going places can take a little while, and some quest lines ultimately add up to going to the same distant location two to three times consecutively. There's only one or two times in the game this happens that I can remember (out of dozens of quests), but it was still something that I noticed.

The game runs fine and controls fine otherwise. You will get some slight FPS drops if there are a good few monsters on screen in an area with rain effects, but they were very seldom for me and I doubt you would ever encounter it on a PS4 Pro.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. If you have ever enjoyed Minecraft at all for any length of time, you will likely enjoy this game. I'm sick to death of Minecraft, and I still fell in love with this hard enough to binge through it over the course of like four and a half days. It's a great ARPG and I can't wait for the second one later this year that will add a multiplayer feature <3
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ESauced
64-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by ESauced »

Exhuminator wrote:
ESauced wrote:took what would have been a B+ game and made it a C-.

I've also beaten Golden Abyss, and I agree it's a C (or 6.5/10) experience. The only other Uncharted I've beaten is the first one on PS3, which was a 7/10 for me. Based on those two experiences, I don't see what the big deal about Uncharted is. I guess Uncharted 2 must be really amazing, I don't know. I'll play it someday.

Been a while since I’ve played the first Uncharted but I do remember the second one being a pretty big improvement and an amazing game. I enjoyed the first one more than a 7/10 though so you might not find the second one as amazing as I do.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
5. Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
6. Zenge (iOS)
7. Master of Darkness (Game Gear/3DS)
8. Wonder Boy (SMS)
9. Adventure Island (NES)
10. Full Throttle Remastered (iOS)
11. Adventure Island II (NES)
12. Adventure Island (GB)

My vacation on Adventure Island continues!

Adventure Island II is better than Adventure Island in almost every way. It looks better; the controls ar a bit tighter; the level design is better; the gameplay mechanics are drastically expanded; the levels and enemies are more varied; and it is more fun. Also...you can ride on dinosaurs. It is everything a third-generation sequel should be. It still isn’t a great game, though. For one, the controls are still way too slippery, and they are worse when you are riding a dinosaur. (Every level is like an “ice” level in another platformer. The “ice” levels in this game are even worse.) It also retains some of the “ troll” level design from the first game, and the last few levels require both memorization and flawless execution. Worse, the last few levels go on way too long between checkpoints - there are almost a dozen stages in the last level - and since the order in which you tackle them is randomized, you have to play a lot before you get the chance to memorize the game, much less practice enough to execute them perfectly. This sort of design might have been acceptable 30 years ago, but it is just a drag now.

Adventure Island (GB), on the other hand, is really fun. It is based on Adventure Island II (NES), but whether intentional or not, the controls are much more stiff, meaning the game plays like a dream. Due to the system’s limitations, the game is also jettisons Adventure Island II’s bloated final levels, and it is much more predictable. In short, it retains all of Adventure Island II’s good parts, and gets rid of the parts that really drag the other game down. If anything, however, it is a bit too easy, and you can likely eat it in a single sitting. (After trudging through Adventure Island II, I was able to 1CC Adventure Island (GB) on my first attempt.)

Since I am playing these games in chronological order, I have the first two 16-Bit entries, Super Adventure Island (SNES) and New Adventure Island (TG16) up next. I’m looking forward to them!
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

I agree with everything you say about Adventure Island 2. I love the game but usually only play a few levels before it gets overly difficult and I put it down. I beat it with save states and I don’t think I’d have the patience to beat it without them.

I’m interested in the GB one now based on what you’re saying.

Do you plan to play every game in the series? There’s a WiiWare one that you’ll have to buy in the next few weeks if you want it.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

25) Psycho World (MSX2) (6.0) (3/3) (2 hours)

Thoughts over in the Together Retro thread. I thought it was an interesting game, if not amazing. Might give the SMS version a go, just to see how things ported over. One of the things that is really interesting, though, is that the game manages to pull off smooth scrolling on the MSX2. So few games on the system actually did this; the fluidity is certainly a boon.
Ack

Post by Ack »

1. Jungle Book (SNES)(Platformer)
2. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge (SNES)(Light Gun Shooter)
3. Might and Magic VI (PC)(RPG)
4. Revenant (PC)(RPG)
5. Neo Turf Masters (NGPC)(Sports)
6. Fatal Fury: First Contact (NGPC)(Fighter)
7. Pac-Man (NGPC)(Action)

8. Golden Axe (Genesis)(Hack and Slash)
9. Blood and Bacon (PC)(FPS)
10. Gain Ground (Genesis)(Strategy)

Blood and Bacon

This game costs $0.99 on Steam. It's worth the price. The gyst is, you're one of a handful of characters trapped on a farm that is overrun by mutant pigs, so each day you have to take a gun and go out to cull the herd. There are 101 days, with the final day being normal pigs, which causes the farmer to reset the day counter back to 1. To break up the monotony of this, there is a boss every ten days, either a giant boar that you have to shoot the butt off to reveal an electric plug which will electrocute the boss for larger amounts of damage, or Princess. Princess sits in the middle of the stage, vomiting or defecating on anything that comes near. Seriously. And all this is done circa graphics from 1996.

I know, this sounds terrible. It was a failed Kickstarter campaign which netted only $100 out of the requested $5000 or whatever they asked for, so as a result, the devs sacrificed quality in exchange for ludicrous style. Case in point: the farmer is a dude stuck to the wall with a pitchfork who tells really bad jokes. In each of the ten days, you get a Revenge Day where you have infinite explosive ammo and just mow down all of your enemies. And there are special items, which can be earned by shoving pig corpses into a giant meatgrinder. And then there are the backstories, which include two guys named Blood and Bacon, a Jewish space princess who likes Warhammer 40,000, the greatest skeleton assassin of all time, and a dead viking. That's actually his name, Dead Viking.

So why play a game like this? Because with three of your friends, it's a stupidly fun time. That's why. I'm not ashamed to say I paid a dollar for this. I had more than a dollar's worth of fun.

Gain Ground

"Strategy" is a tough way to describe this, but Gain Ground defies a lot of genre expectations, and there is definitely some strategic choices involved. Basically the way the game works is that each level is a board, and you must either kill all the enemies or get all of your characters to the finish line. The strategic element comes in with your character choices, and over the course of the game you can find more characters to rescue, thus giving you a pool of up to 20 unique individuals with differing weapons, speeds, abilities, and even key differences in whether they are left or right handed. You must then traverse up to 50 levels in the Genesis port with these characters, but if you get killed, that character must either be rescued or is potentially permanently lost. You die when you run out of time for a board or lose all of your characters.

Each map operates as a sort of puzzle, sometimes with some quick thinking and reactions involved. Enemies can be on different planes from you, hiding in trenches or underwater, or can even be off screen and waiting to come out at key moments. Pick the wrong character, and you're pretty much set for failure. Therefore, I found it best when playing this to pause at the start of each level, study the map carefully, and then decide on who I wanted to bring. Sometimes I'd use a character as a sacrifice to clear most of the level and then have them get hit so the next character could mop up and rescue them. I also learned what I could about the different abilities of each character, because having the right tool for the job was always a necessity.

Now Gain Ground is not perfect. It requires knowledge of the characters, which unfortunately can only be gained the hard way. The final sets of levels can be ludicrously difficult, and not all characters are useful; in fact, there are many that I almost never used because they just weren't good enough compared to others or were so limited in their situational use that someone else could do the job better. There is also a small, tone deaf bit for SEGA here: the one black character throws spears. That was probably not the best move SEGA could have done...

At the same time, the game offers a lot of variety in its level design, and the difficulty settings operate more like Mode changes than difficulty changes. For example, the Easy setting only includes the original levels from the Arcade game, while Medium adds in the Genesis-only levels to extend the length. Hard difficulty completely changes the game by giving you access to all 20 characters at once, but you can never find anyone on the field to bolster your numbers and have only the 20 characters to get through the game. I believe Continues are also disabled in Hard mode, so you better know what your'e doing.

Before I sat down with it, I'd never played Gain Ground. Hell, I'd hardly even heard of it. Now I'm leaving it saying that I'm a fan. I wouldn't have played it without this month's Together Retro choice (there are several female characters), but now I have found something to love. This is exactly the kind of thing that TR is all about. Go check it out, guys. Gain Ground is worthy of anyone's Genesis or Mega Drive collection.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

ESauced wrote:I agree with everything you say about Adventure Island 2. I love the game but usually only play a few levels before it gets overly difficult and I put it down. I beat it with save states and I don’t think I’d have the patience to beat it without them.

I’m interested in the GB one now based on what you’re saying.

Do you plan to play every game in the series? There’s a WiiWare one that you’ll have to buy in the next few weeks if you want it.

I used save stated between stages on the very last level to practice a bit and cut down on frustration - a dozen stages is just too much - and I also played the game on my PSP so that I didn’t have to beat it in one sitting. You should try the Gameboy version if you like the beginning of AI2. It is a lot of fun.

I am playing through every game in the serried as part of my “explore th Wonder Boy series” challenge, and I do have Adventure Island: The Beginning. I have not played it yet, but I understand it’s pretty bad. We’ll see!
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2018 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017
* indicates a repeat

1. Tyranny (PC)
2. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)
3. SUPERHOT (PC)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)*
5. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PC)
6. Mario X Rabbids Kingdom Battle (Switch)
7. Nine Parchments (Switch)
8. X-com: UFO Defense (PC)
9. Chocobo Racing (PS1)
10. Hamtaro: Ham-Ham Heartbreak (GBA)
11. Dragon Quest Builders (PS4)

12. Dragon Quest (3DS)

I was still SUPER in the mood for more Dragon Quest after beating DQB yesterday, so I started looking up ways to play the original legit. I didn't really wanna wait a month for a copy of the Super Famicom remake to come from Japan, so I turned the the Virtual Console. I nearly bought it on the Japanese Wii VC, but it turns out the Japanese 3DS eShop has 3DS remakes of the first three DQ games, so I bought it there instead for just 6 bucks :)

It's Dragon Quest, but FAR easier than the original. This took me about 6 hours to beat, and even though I got lucky on a few fights, especially the Dragon Lord, I was still able to beat the Dragon Lord at level 19 on my first try. This is a fairly streamlined port that really narrows down the level curve (like every level after 17 or so is just 4k EXP, which is like 12 fights against the monsters in the Dragon Lord's chamber). It also gets rid of the menu system like talking, stairs, open, and replaces it with a mechanical and graphical style far more reminiscent of the DS remakes of DQ's 4-6 where A is just your universal interact button. They also dumb down some things, like the Fairy's Flute, Loto's Armor, and even the hidden staircase behind the Dragon Lord's throne being marked with shiny, unmissable stars, but for what it's worth, the location of Loto's talisman is still hidden (although you still get a big interaction '!' above your head when you walk over it).

Verdict: Recommended. It's Dragon Quest like it always was, but way easier and palatable. There is some grinding still, but this is far more beatable in an afternoon/evening than an entire weekend+ affair like the original was. It's pretty to look at and the music is great, so it's a great version to play if you can either read Japanese or just know the game well enough to ignore all the dialogue :lol:

The plan from here is to move onto DQ2, which I also bought from the eShop for around 9 bucks, so I can partake in this month's TR in a way that won't be an insane time vampire like the original NES port is :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

62. Ultra Goodnes (steam)
63. Lady Sia (gba)
64. goldeneye (n64)
65. Dragons Lair (pc)
66. Streets of rage: remake (pc)

63. Lady Sia: I have been meaning to play this game forever and I am glad I finally did. This is probably the prettiest gba game I have ever played, it has a great cartoony look and super smooth animation. The game is an action platformer, there are a nice mix of linear stages along with levels that require a bit of exploration(finding levers and such) in order to complete.

The only downside to the game are the boss battles, each world ends in a boss. When you confront the boss you turn into a sasquatch and you have new moves that you can't possibly know, making the bosses a complete head scratcher. For example, the last boss has an attack where he drops a cinder block on you, then you have to push the block into his shield in order to hit him. As soon as I saw this block I knew I had to push it, I tried hitting it, walking into it, jumping on it and nothing worked. I then looked up an faq and I had to hit the L button which makes her dash in order to push the block. The problem is, there was no reason to hit the L button throughout the entire game, why would I think to hit the L button on the final boss when I did not use that button for the entire rest of the game? Each boss is equally as cryptic, and then extremely easy and mundane to beat once you figure out what to do.

Terrible boss fights aside, Lady sia was a great game and well worth a playthrough.

64. Goldeneye(n64): I played it just to say I played it, horrible experience, and I will never even think about playing it again. I know it was a masterpiece in its time, but there is no way you could go back and play this for the first time after playing stuff like Doom 2016 and the new wolfenstein series.

65. Dragons Lair: I love this game so much, will be playing the sequel soon. I always like to playthrough this game twice in a row. The first time to relearn all the rooms, then I like to have a deathless run on my 2nd playthrough. This game, much like goldeneye, is probably not a game that one could play for the first time in this day and age and have fun with, unlike goldeneye, the rose colored nostalgia glasses are strong on this one for me.

66. Streets of Rage: remake

If you have not played this game, if you have not heard of this game, you need to stop reading right now, download this game(its freeware) and play through it.

It is better than streets of rage 2, it takes everything you love about the streets of rage series and ratchets it up, more enemies, enemies from all the old games, new enemies, new maps, branching paths, special moves from sor 2 and 3, the cops from the original sor, unlockable characters, cheats, even a mario maker style sor maker, and so much more.

This game is a masterpiece and I wish sega would take its head out of its ass, pay the guy who made it, and put it up on steam so it gets the recognition it deserves. This game, along with sonic mania, is proof that sega fans can make better games than sega itself could.

ESauced wrote:I agree with everything you say about Adventure Island 2. I love the game but usually only play a few levels before it gets overly difficult and I put it down. I beat it with save states and I don’t think I’d have the patience to beat it without them..

Adventure Island 2 is a game that is made to be used with save states. It is simply too long to playthrough in one sitting, and even though it is fun, it is more fun when played in small segments.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
14. Super Turrican* (SNES)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2* (SNES)
16. Super Turrican 2* (SNES)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
18. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
19. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 2: DualShock [Claire A/Leon B] (PSX)
21. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)

* = replay

Finally, a CoD with amazingly well written and memorable characters and a story that truly depicts the weight of humanity. For the story/characters, this is the best CoD and something even non-fans could probably enjoy. I'm honestly shocked at how good it was, considering how lazy most of rest of the entire series is when it comes to characters. I hope that starting with Advanced Warfare and this one, singular main characters are the norm from here on out. There's a sense of scale in this one and your position in the midst of everything was compellingly awesome, it will be very hard to top. Game wise I might like Advanced Warfare more for its linearity and better level design, but set pieces and story/writing/characters wise, this is the best CoD by several huge miles. Despite a lot of average experiences with CoD games, I am glad I didn't write the series off and gave some of them another chance, especially this one.

Maybe a commercial failure compared to the other installments, but I bet Infinity Ward had fun making this one as it's a really original venture and they got to let loose on some real artistic vision. It would be cool to see Infinity Ward aim to make something like CoD4 with MW4 next. I don't think we'll ever see CoD this sci-fi again. Ironically though, that scope and creative freedom is what gave this game a lot of weight and scale that they may never capture in the series again.