44. Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC
45. Star Control Origins - PC
46. Valkyria Chronicles 4 - PS4
47. The Messenger - Switch
48. Dragon Quest XI - PS4
49. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - PC
50. Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 - PC

51. Legacy of Kain: Defiance - PC

Remember how I said I was looking forward to this game? Now I'm just glad it's over. I am shocked by how disappointed I was in this game. And the worst part is that the story was still really really good; even ignoring my unwillingness to concede defeat I was definitely going to play this all the way through to see that story. This, at least, wraps up the plot threads that had been running through the Soul Reaver games. There is still an important story to tell, but I doubt we'll ever see it; the antagonist of that future story's voice actor died, and he was so distinctive that I doubt anyone would try and fill his shoes.

So why is Defiance so disappointing? Someone fucked up the gameplay severely. The two Soul Reaver games were puzzle platformers with some combat; it was terrible combat in the first one but you could basically always avoid it, the second one made the combat serviceable and it was mostly avoidable, but in the end sequence you were forced into fights to progress and it bogged down a bit. In this one they got an actually good combat engine, and their reaction was to go "great! now let's make the game have ALL the combat." The problem being, it's not a good enough combat engine to make it worthwhile. The game is full of forced fights for no other reason than to justify the time they spent on the combat engine. Hell, there are a bunch of boss fights that consist of you just whacking on them and trying to dodge their attacks (and frequently failling). If they had retained the amount of combat from the first game or the first half of the second game it would have been great. But this was jsut an execrise in tedium.

But the really bad part is that they cut down the puzzles to almost nothing (barring one really poorly done level that was a long series of find the keys with tons of backtracking that wasn't obvious you needed to do) and changed the camera. While the Soul Reaver games used the standard behind the back camera with the ability to pan it around you, this game goes with the fixed but dynamic camera that was seen in Final Fantasy X; this is where you are moving on screen with a fixed camera, but as your round corners and such the camera will move with you. This leads to you needing to adjust your inputs as it happens, as all the inputs are camera relative. And this was fine with FFX, because it was a JRPG. This is an action platformer; I can't tell you how many times I miffed a jump because the camera was fucking with me. And what makes it better are the number of times where you create platforms for a limited time, and the time requirements are tight. The camera and the camera relative controls end up being the thing that causes you to miss most of those. Also, I ended up finding a lot of times it very hard to determine if I was going to make a jump or not because of the camera position; if I was above the horizon then I lost all sense of my position relative to the ground. I'd love to interview the dev team sometime and find out how they decided to switch to this style camera over the very successful one in the previous games.

If you really liked the first two Soul Reaver games then you should definitely snag this one to finish up the plot arc. But be prepared for a lot of frustration in the gameplay. Enough of the story is told as part of the gameplay that you can't just watch a cutscene compilation on youtube.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by REPO Man »

I also recently beat Sonic Time Twisted as Sonic, though I failed to get all the Chaos Emeralds and Time Stones.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC
21. Battletech - PC
22. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part I - PC
23. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part II - PC
24. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch
25. Pillars of Eternity II - PC
26. Dragon Ball FighterZ - PS4
27. Detroit: Become Human - PC4
28. Call of Duty: United Offensive - PC
29. The Last of Us - PS4
30. The Last of Us: Left Behind - PS4
31. Prey: Mooncrash - PC
32. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4
33. Resident Evil 7 - PC
34. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero - PC
35. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War III - PC
36. Overwhelm - PC
37. Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation - PC
38. Hard Reset Redux - PC
39. Nier: Automata - PS4
40. Darksiders - PC
41. The Banner Saga 3 - PC
42. Guacamelee! 2 - PC
43. Spider-Man - PS4

52. Iconoclasts - PC

I saw this played at SGDQ this year and it looked like a fun metroidvania, so I waited for it to go on sale and then snagged it. I figured it'd be a good palette cleanser between the Legacy of Kain games and Darksiders 2 (which I need to get through since the third game is dropping in a few days). Overall it was pretty decent; not as good as Ori or Hollow Knight but better than Dust.

Iconoclasts is set in a world run by a theocracy with a rigid system of jobs. You play as Robin, the daughter of a rogue mechanic who is a mechanic herself. The thing about rogue mechanics is that the technology that powers everything is considered sacred, so obviously unsanctioned mechanics are heathens. You start off investigating a noise and then the theocracy comes and fucks up your life, so you go chase them. You then find yourself propelled by events through the rest of the game, though about midway through it stops being "well, shit's happening" to you trying to be a bit more proactive.

The game's main mechanic is manipulating objects in the world with your giant wrench. You can turn bolts to open gates, swing on bolts or hang on them to drag down a chain, spin your wrench to spin gears, and eventually build up a static charge to power electrical objects. The game actually doesn't have much in the way of mobility upgrades; compared to a game like Metroid most of your ability to explore the world is behind gates locked with keys and gates locked by story. The wrench upgrades and a couple weapons do serve as your "now you can explore more" tools, but it's distinctly low key compared to others in the genre.

The game's story has some neat ideas (it's really big on various characters being extremely sure of things due to their faith), but it isn't told very well. The whole game was created by one guy, and a master of prose he is not. Frankly, an editing pass would have really improved things, and I wouldn't be shocked to find that the playtesters didn't really read the dialog, just mashed through it. And the ending suffers a bit from the silent protagonist, because you spend most of the game having other characters around you driving the dialog; the final sequence is entirely just your character, so the ambiguous stuff stays very ambiguous.

I'd lump this one in the 'if you want more metroidvanias" bucket.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

REPO Man wrote:I also recently beat Sonic Time Twisted as Sonic, though I failed to get all the Chaos Emeralds and Time Stones.

Just beat the game again after getting the rest of the Chaos Emeralds and Time Stones. And I beat the true final boss.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2018
The first 50:
Darkwing Duck - NES (PS4)
DuckTales - NES (PS4)
DuckTales 2 - NES (PS4)
Talespin - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES (PS4)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
The Heart of Dark - PS1 (Vita)
Justice - PS1 (Vita)
Caligo - PC
Tomb Raider (2013) - X1
Nephise Begins - PC
Diablo III: The Darkening of Tristam - PC
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - X1
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES
Forza Horizon 3 - X1/ PC
Elbub - PC
Tekken 4 -PS2
Injustice 2 -PS4
Apollo 11 VR - PSVR
Star Wars Battlefront II -PS4
Unearthing Mars - PSVR
Jenny of the Prairie - C64
Part Time UFO - iOS
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite - PS4
War of the Monsters -PS2
Far Cry 5 - PS4
Uncharted: Lost Legacy - PS4
Soul Calibur 2 - GCN
God of War (2018) - PS4
Orcs and Elves - NDS
Tekken 7 - PS4
House of the Dead 4 Special - PS3
S.A.R. (Search and Rescue) - PS3
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR - PSVR
Time Crisis: Razing Storm - PS3
Time Crisis IV - PS3
Marvel Ultimate Alliance - PS4
Dodonpachi Saidaioujou - 360
Ketsui Kizuna Shigokutachi Extra - PS3
Bad Dudes - Arcade (Wii)
Crude Buster - Arcade (Wii)
Wizard Fire - Arcade (Wii)
Heavy Barrel - Arcade (Wii)
The Bouncer - PS2
Thor: God of Thunder - NDS
Destiny 2: Warmind - PS4
King Oddball - PS4
High Hell - PC
Postal Redux - PC

Super Night Riders - PC
Slap City - PC
Ultraflow - iOS
Grim Dawn - PC
Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - PC
Postal 2 - PC
Postal 2: Apocalypse Weekend - PC
Street Fighter V (SF1 Story Mode) - PS4
Windjammers- PS4
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim VR - Dragonborn - PSVR
Demon's Crystals - X1
Blek - iOS
Destiny 2: Forsaken - PS4
Roundabout - PS4 *new*
Shoot 1UP - 360 *new*
Forza Horizon 4 - X1/PC *new*

Total: 66

Previously: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010
Last edited by dsheinem on Wed Dec 26, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
*6. Pikmin (GCN)*
*7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)*
8. Shining Force II (GEN)
*9. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (PS1)*
*10. Mafia (XBOX)*
11. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GCN)
12. ChuChu Rocket! (SDC)
*13. Super Metroid (SNES)*
14. Final Fantasy II (NES)
15. Devil May Cry (PS2)
16. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (GEN)
17. Secret of Evermore (SNES)
18. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (PS2)
19. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GCN)
*20. Paper Mario (N64)*
21. Grandia II (SDC)
22. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PS2)
23. Bomberman Hero (N64)
24. OutRun (GEN)
25. Dragon Warrior IV (NES)
26. Super Monkey Ball (GCN)
27. Mischief Makers (N64)
28. Dragon Valor (PS1)
*29. Beyond Good & Evil (XBX)*
30. Tokyo Xtreme Racer (SDC)
31. Black (PS2)
*32. Street Fighter II (SNES)*
33. Koudelka (PS1)
34. Bad News Baseball (NES)
35. Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES)
36. Shattered Union (XBOX)
37. The Simpsons: Road Rage (PS2)
*38. Cruis'n Exotica (N64)*
39. Kid Icarus (NES)

40. The Lost Vikings (SNES)

I completed The Lost Vikings on the Super Nintendo Entertainment System this afternoon!

My favorite Youtube Video Game Review Series is 16-Bit Gems by Roo from Clan of the Gray Wolf. He offered a funny and insightful look into games that flew underneath the radar and he wanted to shine the light on them. His series got me into many games, some that I did not enjoy while others became instant favorites. His review on the Lost Vikings brought back memories of playing it as a child and since the game was very cheap, I picked it up many years ago. A few years ago, I tried to play it and I did not enjoy it all. However, my friend and several forum members convinced me not to sell it. So, I decided to finally give it another go and see if my first impressions were wrong.

It took me a while to warm up to Lost Vikings. Being unable to jump made things rather difficult and I kept dying rather frequently. However, I persevered and I was amazed to find a quality game here. The best part about the game is the level design. The game was made by people who would eventually make Blizzard and they had talent from the start. Two of your characters cannot jump, so to design levels around that hindrance is something special. Also, each character is unique in their abilities with weaknesses as well making none of them more over powered than the other one. However, together, they become a formidable unit that could take down many enemies. With unique worlds, colorful graphics and catchy music, the game has a solid package and tickles the brain in its purest puzzle mode.

However, when it gets to pure action or heavy platforming, the game can become incredibly frustrating. Neither you nor the enemies have any invincibility when taking damage, so your character dies rather quickly and that happens too frequently when it comes to the hand to hand combat. Also, especially the later levels that took a while to complete, to die after one mistake and to have restart the entire level gets incredibly frustrating.

Overall, Lost Vikings can get really annoying at times, but when the game is done right, it is incredibly good. It is a unique puzzle game that is not too common back then or even now a days. I am interested in the Genesis version with more levels and the differences in the sequel between the SNES and PS1 version. But, if you are looking for a puzzle game that will also test your reflexes, Lost Vikings is unique and good game.
pook99
128-bit

Post by pook99 »

318. 20XX

I have heard a lot of hype about this game but I was reluctant to buy it because I hate roguelikes, I mean I really really hate rogue likes, I hate the idea of perma death, I hate the idea of needing to replay a game 100x before you can beat it, I hate the idea of randomized levels, I hate the fact that 80% of indie side scrollers are roguelites nowadays, I just fucking hate the trend and wish it would go away.

But, I love megaman, and everyone hypes this game up as the greatest mega man inspired game ever made, so it went on sale for 7.50 and I figured I would give it a shot because despite playing well over a dozen mega man games this year, including the absolutely phenomenal MM unlimited and MM 11, I still need more mega man in my life.

I'm glad I did, I will start by saying this game is not as good as most actual mega man games and I enjoyed MM 11 far more than I did this game, but it probably is the best mega man inspired game I have ever played.

The game is comprised of 10 stages, much like MM the first 8 are filled with robot masters whos weapons you can acquire, with the final 2 stages being a pretty long and difficult summation of obstacles from all the previous levels alongside 2 bosses, both of which are fairly challenging but not impossible. Unlike MM games you don't have total control over the order of levels, the first level and boss are randomnly chosen for you and then you can choose from one of 3 levels at a time until you finally conquer all the robot masters.

Just like MM each boss has a weakness, but since you can upgrade your primary blaster you don't always need to find the weakness, I beat most bosses using just my mega buster. The levels are fun, the environments are pretty varied and each level has its own set of obstacles which are randomnly shuffled into all sorts of patterns with varying difficulty. One of the reasons I hate rogue lites so much is because I feel that randomnly generated levels will never be as masterfully designed as hand crafted levels, this game did not change my mind. The levels are fun and well made but they do not fall into the same level of greatness that typical MM games do.

You can choose to play in 3 different modes, revenant which gives you 3 lives, normal where you have one live, and hardcore where you have one life with extra challenges. I chose to play revenant because I truly hate the idea of having one life and then having to replay the whole game. This mode was a lot more palpatable since you have some room for error, my first run I made it to the final stage, I beat the game on my 2nd run, then went back one more time to play on normal. I did not notice any changes in difficulty between normal and revenant other than only having one life, I also found less bonus challenge rooms on normal but I'm not sure if that is because of the change in difficulty or the random nature of the level design.

Throughout each run you acquire soul chips and nuts. Nuts are money(much like the later MM games) and can be used to buy health and upgrades, upgrading your character is extemely important and you can buy things like extra max health, damage boosts, and various equipment upgrades. When you die all of these things go away and you start from scratch. Soul chips can be used in between runs in the main lobby and the items you buy with soul chips permanently buff your character and make consecutive runs easier.

I was not impressed with the difficulty in this game, another reason I hate rogue lites is I feel they are hard for all the wrong reasons. On a level to level basis, 20XX is probably the easiest mega man game ever made, the levels are generally far easier to navigate, the bosses are easier as well, the difficulty comes from the fact that your health does not replenish between levels and you only get 1 or 3 lives depening on the mode. Sure you can buy health from vending machines, find health in hidden boxes throughout the levels, and enemies will randomnly drop health but if this same system were implemented in any mainstream mega man game it would probably be universally hated.

I have been negative in this review because of my intense disdain for roguelites. 20XX was a very fun game, I enjoyed it and would recommend it to any fan of Mega Man, however due to having to subscribe to all the shitty tropes of roguelites it does not hit the level of greatness it had the potential to achieve.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC
21. Battletech - PC
22. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part I - PC
23. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part II - PC
24. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch
25. Pillars of Eternity II - PC
26. Dragon Ball FighterZ - PS4
27. Detroit: Become Human - PC4
28. Call of Duty: United Offensive - PC
29. The Last of Us - PS4
30. The Last of Us: Left Behind - PS4
31. Prey: Mooncrash - PC
32. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4
33. Resident Evil 7 - PC
34. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero - PC
35. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War III - PC
36. Overwhelm - PC
37. Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation - PC
38. Hard Reset Redux - PC
39. Nier: Automata - PS4
40. Darksiders - PC
41. The Banner Saga 3 - PC
42. Guacamelee! 2 - PC
43. Spider-Man - PS4

52. Iconoclasts - PC
53. Slain: Back From Hell - PC

So at PAX this year in the Indie Mega Booth I saw a game that was a Contra clone with gorgeous pixel art and a heavy metal aesthetic (think the cover of every album in the 80s). The game was really fun, and it's on my Steam wishlist, and the guy manning the booth gave me a Steam code for their previous game: Slain: Back From Hell. The game originally came out in 2016 in a bad state (poor balance), the needed a couple of years to be patched up to its current state (as the original programmer left and a new one needed to be found; the artist is the main dev behind things). Based on what I've seen, the original release was in the "promising but too many warts" category. This release, on the other hand, is a lot of fun, as long as you don't mind punishing difficulty.

This game is basically a modern remake of the NES game Holy Diver, complete with the heavy metal inspiration and kick you in the balls difficulty. Enemies are relentless and will punish you roundly for trying to blaze through it. You need to approach every situation as if it'll be lethal, because it is. At your disposal are a sword that can manifest elemental powers and can be used to parry enemy attacks, as well as a magical shot that can be charged and pierce through enemies, or you can expend all your magic in a screen damaging blast. The parry ends up being one of your most useful tools; when properly timed this stuns enemies and allows you to deal a critical blow (think the interrupt mechanic from Bloodborne). You can also stun enemies by reflecting enemy projectiles back at them.

Properly using the right weapon on the right enemy and taking advantage of parrying big enemies is the key to survival in this game. The three weapons swing at a difference cadence and with a different arc, and this will come into play if you just try to mash your way through. You might have to draw enemies out in order to set up things. And you have to be mindful of a plethora of instant-death traps. You'll probably die to the first one of each of them, but once you learn to recognize their tells you'll only die to them when you stop paying attention. You can never rest on your laurels here.

Aesthetically, the game is gorgeous. The pixel art is phenomenal, and the backgrounds have a ton of detail and animations in them. Your character movements and attacks are super smooth thanks to all the frames of animation added to it. And all the particle effects are very detailed and are used greatly. The soundtrack is also awesome; it's mostly heavy metal tracks with a couple of more atmospheric tracks in certain levels. The presentation is probably the strongest part of the game.

There's a few segments where the checkpoints get a bit light, and those tend to have some of the nastiest enemies. But once you overcome them you feel super accomplished. There is always a checkpoint right before a boss, and the multi-stage final boss lets you skip to the stage you died on. And the reload to checkpoint after a death is fast and doesn't restart the music; the game knows you'll die a lot and is optimized to not make the deaths more punishing than the fact you lose progress.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Markies wrote:I am interested in the Genesis version with more levels

Keep in mind the SNES game was the original, so the Genesis port essentially has "bonus levels" (as opposed to the SNES game "missing" levels).

In any event, I enjoy the game on Genesis but it's so much better on the SNES. It was clearly designed with the SNES controller in mind and feels clumsy even with a 6-button Genesis pad. Still a great excuse to replay the game. I've been trying to hunt down the CD32 port!

Nice job finishing this one.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Markies wrote:I am interested in the Genesis version with more levels

Keep in mind the SNES game was the original, so the Genesis port essentially has "bonus levels" (as opposed to the SNES game "missing" levels).

In any event, I enjoy the game on Genesis but it's so much better on the SNES. It was clearly designed with the SNES controller in mind and feels clumsy even with a 6-button Genesis pad. Still a great excuse to replay the game. I've been trying to hunt down the CD32 port!

Nice job finishing this one.

Yeah, I've heard of people trying to playing the Genesis version with a 3 Button Controller and that just blows my mind.

I know it is the 'lesser' version and probably won't play as great, but I am very curious about those bonus levels. I really enjoyed the game and I enjoyed every level in the game.

Except maybe the last two. Those were terrible.