Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by Ack »

Hey Ds, Postal 2 multiplayer also lets you play as Gary Coleman, and you can snipe with the shotgun. That game is stupidly magical.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Ack wrote:Hey Ds, Postal 2 multiplayer also lets you play as Gary Coleman, and you can snipe with the shotgun. That game is stupidly magical.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

What you talkin' 'bout, Willis?
Ack

Post by Ack »

Yep. Deathmatch skins in Postal 2 included Postal Guy, Coleman, and the Gimp.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

1. Ultima V - PC
2. Ultima VI - PC
3. Might and Magic VI - PC
4. Realms of Arkania: Blade of Destiny - PC
5. Pool of Radiance - PC
6. Curse of the Azure Bonds - PC
7. Secret of the Silver Blades - PC
8. Pools of Darkness - PC
9. Gateway to the Savage Frontier - PC
10. Treasures of the Savage Frontier - PC
11. Champions of Krynn - PC
12. Death Knights of Krynn - PC
13. Dark Queen of Krynn - PC
14. Into the Breach - PC
15. Lords of the Realm - PC
16. Dark Sun: Shattered Lands - PC
17. Lords of the Realm II - PC
18. The Alliance Alive - 3DS
19. Shattered Steel - PC
20. Guacamelee! Super Turbo Championship Edition - PC
21. Battletech - PC
22. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part I - PC
23. Pillars of Eternity: The White March Part II - PC
24. Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - Switch
25. Pillars of Eternity II - PC
26. Dragon Ball FighterZ - PS4
27. Detroit: Become Human - PC4
28. Call of Duty: United Offensive - PC
29. The Last of Us - PS4
30. The Last of Us: Left Behind - PS4
31. Prey: Mooncrash - PC
32. Horizon Zero Dawn: The Frozen Wilds - PS4
33. Resident Evil 7 - PC
34. Resident Evil 7: Not A Hero - PC
35. Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War III - PC
36. Overwhelm - PC
37. Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation - PC
38. Hard Reset Redux - PC
39. Nier: Automata - PS4
40. Darksiders - PC
41. The Banner Saga 3 - PC

The Banner Saga was the very first game I Kickstarted (shortly followed by Shadowrun Returns), launching its campaign right after Double Fine showed that there was a market for video game crowdfunding. The pitch for the game was an adventure game in a Viking inspired world with hand drawn animation to be told over three games. And we finally have reached its conclusion.

Banner Saga 3 picks up immediately after the second game, and the three games really do form a single narrative; think of it like how Lord of the Rings is split up. So it's essential you play all three, though fortunately the third game (and maybe the second; it's been a while since I played it) comes with a recap section to remind you of what has gone down. This game wraps up the storyline, though honestly the ending could have used an extra scene and some more description; it ends up being slightly abrupt (though not necessarily missing important information). The story is the darkest it has ever been; like its mythological inspirations you end in the middle of a cataclysm and the best you can expect is to stop it from finishing off everything. A rosey ending you should not expect.

Mechanically the game doesn't introduce much over the other two. The main addition is an additional piece of character progression for your high level characters; now you can give characters a unique title, which has five levels of benefit. Each title can only be awarded to one character, so choose wisely. These let you further specialize your characters and are defintely necessary for those final battles. The other piece that comes in new is an addition to the Oregon Trail parts. At the climax of the story you are in a race against time to finish things up. One of your groups is trying to hold out while the other group needs to get to the end goal. When you are with the first group the actions you take will indicate how much time you have bought for yourself; then it swaps to the other group and you have that much time before it swaps back. There are only so many times the first group gets to act, though, so you have to be careful with your choices for both groups (as the group racing can take more or less time on stuff depending on your choices).

This game also takes the time to finally explain all the details of the workings of the world, and those niggling mysteries finally get solved. I really enjoyed the world they built, and it's a bit of a shame that it'll be hard to explore more of the world.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

First 50
1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
5. Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
6. Zenge (iOS)
7. Master of Darkness (Game Gear/3DS)
8. Wonder Boy (SMS)
9. Full Throttle Remastered (iOS)
10. Adventure Island (NES)
11. Adventure Island II (NES)
12. Adventure Island (GB)
13. Super Adventure Island (SNES)
14. New Adventure Island (TG16)
15. Adventure Island III (NES)
16. The Legend of the Ghost Lion (NES)
17. Part Time UFO (iOS)
18. Adventure Island II: Aliens in Paradise (GB)
19. Adventure Island IV (NES)
20. Super Adventure Island II (SNES)
21. Adventure Island: The Beginning (WII)
22. Quell Memento (3DS)
23. Wonder Boy in Monster Land (ARCADE)
24. Saiyuuki World (FAMICOM)
25. Whomp ‘Em (NES)
26. Bikkuriman World (TG16)
27. Wonder Boy III: Monster Lair (TG16)
28. Go Series: Picdun (DS)
29. The Keep (3DS)
30. Dooors (3DS)
31. Ninja Gaiden (ARCADE)
32. Advance Guardian Heroes (GBA)
33. TMNT (GBA)
34. Double Dragon Advance (GBA)
35. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
36. Double Dragon II (ARCADE)
37. Kung Fu Master (GB)
38. Cube Escape: The Lake (iOS)
39. Cube Escape: Seasons (iOS)
40. Cube Escape: Arles (iOS)
41 . Cube Escape: Harvey’s Box (iOS)
42. Cube Escape: Case 23 (iOS)
43. Cube Escape: The Mill (iOS)
44. Rusty Lake Hotel (iOS)
45. Cube Escape: Birthday (iOS)
46. Cube Escape: The Theatre (iOS)
47. Rusty Lake Roots (iOS)
48. Cube Escape: The Cave (iOS)
49. Rusty Lake Paradise (iOS)
50. Double Dragon 3: The Rosetta Stone (ARCADE)

51. Knightmare Tower (iOS)
52. 80s Overdrive (3DS)

80s Overdrive is a loving homage to Outrun that looks and sounds great on the 3DS. It has a neon-soaked graphics, a remarkable synth soundtrack, and its entire aesthetic is influenced by 1980s popular culture (as remembered by people who were born in the 1980s and 1990s and really only remember the 1980s by its most outlandish artifacts). The game also plays great, and offers a relatively robust “career” mode to supplement Outrun’s simplistic arcade gameplay. (In that mode, you can buy and upgrade cars to work your way through increasingly difficult races. There is an entry fee for each race, and you have to pay for gasoline and repairs after each race. Finally, criminals occasionally offer you bonus objectives, such as causing damage to rival cars, picking up packages on the street, or finishing in a certain position, that can earn you additional funds.) The racing is very, very fast, and one mistake usually spells defeat (and a costly repair bill), but there is no penalty for restarting a race; so, you can easily skirt someone the game’s most frustrating aspects. Finally, and as anyone who has played the Sega 3D Classics versions of Space Harrier and Outrun knows, sprite-scaling looks amazing in the 3DS, and this game offers plenty of it. Accordingly, it really is a showpiece for the 3DS’ unique capabilities. In sum, 80s Overdrive is fast and fun, 3DS-exclusive Racer that I thoroughly enjoyed and do not hesitate to recommend.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
*6. Pikmin (GCN)*
*7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)*
8. Shining Force II (GEN)
*9. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (PS1)*
*10. Mafia (XBOX)*
11. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GCN)
12. ChuChu Rocket! (SDC)
*13. Super Metroid (SNES)*
14. Final Fantasy II (NES)
15. Devil May Cry (PS2)
16. Mega Man: The Wily Wars (GEN)
17. Secret of Evermore (SNES)
18. Test Drive: Eve of Destruction (PS2)
19. Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GCN)
*20. Paper Mario (N64)*
21. Grandia II (SDC)
22. Ghostbusters: The Video Game (PS2)

23. Bomberman Hero (N64)

I beat Bomberman Hero on the Nintendo 64 this afternoon!

Back in the day, I was a huge fan of Funcoland. This was in my late teens, so I was new to game shopping and buying games from store to store, but I always loved going inside Funcoland. They had areas where you could test out games and they just had so many games for sale. Looking back, the prices were ridiculous compared to today. Unfortunately, Gamestop bought them and EB Games out and got out of the Retro Gaming Market. One of the last days of Funcoland, I was walking around the store and found Bomberman Hero for the N64. I was looking for good N64 party games and I figured a 4 player Bomberman game had to be amazing. When I figured it was one player only, I ignored it until I started Backlogging. After several random Monday play sessions, I figured now was a good time to finally beat the game.

The best aspect of Bomberman Hero is the music. It is Drum N Bass, so it is relaxing and very calming to listen to, but exciting enough to listen on its own. It is very much worth checking out and listening to if you can. For the game itself, it is obvious that Mario 64 is a huge influence on the game. The game is a 3D platformer with a good amount of action. Bomberman can jump, throw bombs and collect items all in the 3D world. He also has various stages where he turns into a plane or submarine for a Star Fox style level. The nice thing is that each stage is only a few minutes long, so they never overstay their welcome. Each world has its own theme and each stage has its own unique feel to them. With bosses thrown into the mix, the game has a short and breezy feel to it.

Unfortunately, it is not like that all of the time. There is infinite continues and automatically saves after each stage, but the game also doesn't replenish your life after beating a stage. Also, you fight bosses way too many times and the end of the game is just basically a huge boss rush. With the stages and the bosses, it basically comes down to trial and error and that can get rather frustrating sometimes.

Overall, I was quite surprised by Bomberman Hero. From being initially turned off by the game to finding it surprisingly fun, I had a roller coaster of emotions. If you love Mario 64 or 3D Platformers, I would call this an underrated gem. It is very unique and has enough good music to keep any player interested for its short length.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

@Markies: I remember Bomberman Hero being really different from Bomberman 64. Did you ever play the first 64 game?
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Xeogred wrote:@Markies: I remember Bomberman Hero being really different from Bomberman 64. Did you ever play the first 64 game?

I have not!

The only other Bomberman game I really have played was Mega Bomberman on the Genesis. I have dabbled with the arcade and home versions, but those are the only two that I own and have beaten.

I am interested in the Bomberman series, even though they make me feel like an idiot. They are fun and frustrating games.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
18. Warpman (Famicom)
19. Final Fantasy (NES)
20. Transformers: Convoy no Nazo (Famicom)
21. Arcade Archives: Moon Patrol (Switch eShop)
22. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
23. Arcade Archives: Ninja-Kid (Switch eShop)
24. Shining in the Darkness (Genesis)
25. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Gate of Doom (Switch eShop)
26. Front Line (Atari 2600)
27. Donkey Kong 3 (NES)
28. Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (Game Boy)
29. Exerion (Famicom)
30. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Bad Dudes (Switch eShop)
31. Arcade Archives: Double Dragon (Switch eShop)
32. ACA NeoGeo: Ninja Combat (Switch eShop)
33. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Wizard Fire (Switch eShop)
34. Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (Game Boy)
35. Virtual Boy Wario Land (Virtual Boy)
36. Grand Master (Famicom)
37. Johnny Turbo's Arcade: Sly Spy (Switch eShop)
38. ACA NeoGeo: Top Hunter Roddy & Cathy (Switch eShop)
39. ACA NeoGeo: Shock Troopers (Switch eShop)

Just got back from a vacation. Took my Switch with me. Played some arcade stuff I had downloaded. All are replays, so I'll keep this quick.

Sly Spy is a 1989 Data East "walk and gun" with pacing and mechanics similar to Rolling Thunder and Shinobi. It's about a 007-esque spy, though this dude is from America. The game lacks console ports (feels like it coulda made a solid Genesis game) so you're gonna wanna play the arcade original. It's an okay game. Certainly not a masterpiece, though it doesn't exactly feel like it's trying to be one. Like Bad Dudes, there's a solid layer of cheeze here, which makes the whole thing more enjoyable than it has any right to be.

Top Hunter is as close as you can get to a "pure platformer" on the Neo Geo, Blue's Journey notwithstanding. Unfortunately Cathy, the cute anime girl, is automatically assigned to player 2, which means I had to play as Roddy who looks like a cornball bumpkin. In fact, all the character designs here are pretty atrocious. I oftentimes find Neo Geo character art to be really off-putting. Anyway, this is a platformer where one can grapple and toss enemies, so there's a sort of quasi-beat-em-up feel to the whole thing. The stages are colorful and stunning, though mostly dull flat expanses. The main "gimmick" to gameplay is the ability to hop back and forth between foreground and background, but this isn't executed well. The issue is the fact that the background is barely in the the background -- there simply isn't enough contrast to be able to tell which is which and things get muddled quickly. Virtual Boy Wario Land did it so much better, one year later.

Shock Troopers KICKS ASS. It's a top-down run and gun (extremely high IQ genre) with really unique shooting/strafing controls, branching pathways, and a meaty roster of characters. Though I only play as Milky, the top waifu of the Neo Geo. Probably the best game for the whole damn console, though Metal Slug comes close. Play this.
Flake

Post by Flake »

January:

Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)
Batman: The Telltale Series (PS4)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Mario vs Donkey Kong: Minis March Again (DSi ware)

February:

Roundabout (PS4)
Pocket Fighter (PSX)
Double Dragon Neon (PS3)
Batman Arkham VR(PSVR)

March:

Gundam Versus (PS4)

April:

Batman: The Enemy Within (PS4)
Megaman 9 (PS4)
Megaman 10 (PS4)

May:

The Legend of Zelda: BotW (Switch)
Injustice: Gods Among Us (PS4)
Metroid: Zero Mission (GBA/WiiU)

June:

Street Fighter Alpha: Warriors Dreams (Switch)
Megaman (Switch)
Megaman 2 (Switch)
Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS4)
Ikaruga (Switch)
Batman: Tell Tale Series (Switch)
Gunbird (Switch)
Street Fighter Alpha 2 (Switch)
Caladrius Blaze (PS4)

July:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater HD (PS3)
Street Fighter (PS4)
Street Fighter II: The World Warrior (PS4)
Megaman X (PS4)
Megaman X4 (PS4)
Super Mario World (SNES Classic)

Yes, you're reading this right. I beat Super Mario World for the first time.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?