Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by Xeogred »

You going to check out Super Adventure Island 2? That's the only one I've played and it was pretty neat and unique.

For Lunar, what's so bad about the PSX version? You say the "anime" is a plus Bone... the PSX version is anime to the max. I thought I generally always heard the PSX version of 1 is the best but for 2 the Sega CD version might be better, since they change the leveling/magic system or something in there.

Did another REmake run today... got that Infinite Rocket Launcher unlock! (beat it under 3 hours). It helps to know that cutscenes count against the time, so skip them. Now I'll work on Real Survivor mode with Chris which has been brutal so far. Hopefully I can knock it out and check out the Invisible Zombie Mode.

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Xeogred wrote:You going to check out Super Adventure Island 2? That's the only one I've played and it was pretty neat and unique.

Yes! I am running the series in chronological order (before heading back to the Wonder a Boy series). Up next, I have New Adventure Island (TG16), which is pretty great so far (really hard, though). After that, I head back to the NES and GB for Adventure Island III, Adventure Island II: Aliens in Paradise, and Adventure Island IV. I cap off my run with Super Adventure Island 2 and Adventure Island: The Beginning,

I have read that Super Adventure Island 2 is good and very unique. It was released the same year as the last game in the Monster World Series, and it will be interesting to see how the two series compare when I finish my run through them.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's always weirded me out how the main character looks like a bootleg Mario. Is that a localization thing? :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

Xeogred wrote:It's always weirded me out how the main character looks like a bootleg Mario. Is that a localization thing? :lol:

I always thought he looked like he was about to cr*p his pants. :lol: the facial expression paired with the constantly moving legs make me view the entire series as one mad dash to the bathroom.

He is, in fact, based off of Toshiyuki Takahashi, a former Hudson Soft executive:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Takahashi_Meijin

Who was, apparently, pretty awesome at shmups. Who knew?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Xeogred wrote:For Lunar, what's so bad about the PSX version? You say the "anime" is a plus Bone... the PSX version is anime to the max. I thought I generally always heard the PSX version of 1 is the best but for 2 the Sega CD version might be better, since they change the leveling/magic system or something in there.

Oh, the PSX version is a lot of fun. I just prefer the old school original.
nullPointer
128-bit

Post by nullPointer »

Full disclosure: I did a brief encapsulation of my impressions of The Great Giana Sisters in the Eighties Ladies' Night Together Retro thread, where I mentioned a forthcoming expanded review. Honestly though I wasn't feeling creative enough to write up an all new review, so the expanded version that follows contains a lot of repeated content right down to my half-assed attempts at humor. Yes I plagiarized my own material. For shame nullPointer, for shame … :|

The List So Far:
1. To the Moon [PC/Steam]
2. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros. 3 [SNES]
3. The Goonies [Famicom] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
4. Disney's Kim Possible: Revenge of Monkey Fist [GBA] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
5. The Addams Family [SNES] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
6. The Adventures of Batman & Robin [SNES] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
7. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy: Justice for All [3DS]
8. Mickey Mousecapade [NES] [Together Retro - 01/2018]
9. Assassin's Creed II: Discovery [NDS]
10. Half-Life: Source [PC/Steam]

11. The Great Giana Sisters [Amiga] [Together Retro - 03/2018]
Image Image

Wow, just get a load of that cover art. It's almost as if the box art for Mega Man had a sister ... and she wasn't too keen on wearing bras. This game is a bit notorious as being a straight rip-off of Super Mario Bros., but that's plainly ridiculous. You see these sisters aren't super; they're great. They're not brothers with vaguely Italian sounding names, they're sisters ... with vaguely Italian sounding names. Clearly this game is not derivative in the slightest! No … but in all actuality, this game really does steal most of its mechanics from Super Mario Bros. So much so in fact that Nintendo pressured the publisher into pulling The Great Giana Sisters from European store shelves in 1987. This of course has added to the game's mystique as a sought after collectible in the intervening years.

Image Image

And in this case, Nintendo's rabid protectionism of IP was perhaps not misplaced. The Great Giana Sisters really does borrow liberally from Super Mario Bros. You start the game as a well-mannered girl in a school uniform (i.e. small Mario), but upon gaining your first power-up (attained by hitting a power block from underneath, natch) you turn into a punked up wild child with purple highlights in her hair (i.e. Super Mario). Soon you'll find another power-up that allows you to chuck fireballs. Worlds are structured in such a way that you venture through a variety of outside and subterranean levels before entering a vaguely familiar looking castle to face off with a boss. Bricks are smashable, enemies are stompable, etc. etc. Hell, the entire first level is almost a direct copy of the first level of SMB, right down to the placement of power-ups. I can only assume that Time Warp Productions figured they could slip this under the watchful eye of Sauron Nintendo unnoticed. But Nintendo did notice, and the rest is history.

I've said this about other Mario clones, but it seems particularly pertinent here. Despite overwhelming structural similarities, The Great Giana Sisters doesn't have the same game feel as Super Mario Bros. I still maintain that if you're copying SMB this is where the focus should lie. If anything The Great Giana Sisters reminded me a lot of Alex Kidd in Miracle World in terms of controls. Still that's not necessarily a bad thing in this case, as it does actually create at least a slight bit of distance between itself and its seemingly sole inspiration. Drifty jumps and rather sluggish movement are the order of the day here. I do need to make special mention of the music though, which is fantastic. There are only two songs, but they're both great. Having said that, I have to admit that I'm a bit of a sucker for the weird jingly-jangly space-disco synthesizer found in a lot of Amiga games. I suppose your mileage may vary in this regard.

Image Image

In some ways, it's too bad that The Great Giana Sisters never really made it out of the starting blocks during the 80's. It's not a bad game, and given the proper opportunity it really might have developed (much earlier) into a unique franchise in its own right. Does it approach the same levels of greatness of SMB? Oh God no, but that's not to say it's a bad game by any means. It's good, plain, unremarkable fun. Other than one particular late game spike in difficulty, this is an entry level platformer. If you've beaten almost any other side-scroller from this era, The Great Giana Sisters should give you no trouble.
Last edited by nullPointer on Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

nullPointer wrote:Full disclosure: I did a brief encapsulation of my impressions of The Great Giana Sisters in the Eighties Ladies' Night Together Retro thread, where I mentioned a forthcoming expanded review. Honestly though I wasn't feeling creative enough to write up an all new review, so the expanded version that follows contains a lot of repeated content right down to my half-assed attempts at humor. Yes I plagiarized my own material. For shame nullPointer, for shame … :|

I replay games frequently, and sometimes just cut and paste from old Games Beaten posts of mine.

Nice job with Giana Sisters. I had fun with it several years back. The OST does indeed own.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Ren and Stimpy in Stimpy's Invention for Genesis. Used to rent this all the time as a kid. Literally blew threw it in about an hour at most. Also WOW, this game was MUCH better as a kid.
ESauced
64-bit

Post by ESauced »

REPO Man wrote:Ren and Stimpy in Stimpy's Invention for Genesis. Used to rent this all the time as a kid. Literally blew threw it in about an hour at most. Also WOW, this game was MUCH better as a kid.

Haha. Yeah I loved that game as a kid. As an adult...less so. I think the mechanics are pretty cool—all the unique moves that you have—but the execution is awful.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2018

Darkwing Duck - NES (PS4)
DuckTales - NES (PS4)
DuckTales 2 - NES (PS4)
Talespin - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers - NES (PS4)
Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES (PS4)
Scarecrow - PS1 (Vita)
The Heart of Dark - PS1 (Vita)
Justice - PS1 (Vita)
Caligo - PC
Tomb Raider (2013) - X1
Nephise Begins - PC
Diablo III: The Darkening of Tristam - PC
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - X1
Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES
Forza Horizon 3 - X1/ PC
Elbub - PC
Tekken 4 -PS2
Injustice 2 -PS4
Apollo 11 VR - PSVR
Star Wars Battlefront II -PS4
Unearthing Mars - PSVR
Jenny of the Prairie - C64
Part Time UFO - - iOS
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite - PS4
War of the Monsters -PS2 *new*

Total: 26

Previously: 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

This is a fantastic little game that is probably amongst the best “be a giant monster” games that I’ve played. It feels like an evolution of something like SNK’s “King of the Monsters” and does a lot of what that game does only better, in 3D, with stylish/servicable graphics. I’d love to see how well it works for vs play at some point...and apparently there’s a dodgeball mode that can be unlocked! :shock: