Re: Games Beaten 2018

by alienjesus Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:49 pm

Games Beaten 2018
1. Letter Quest Remastered Switch eShop
2. Batman NES
3. Little Nemo: The Dream Master NES
4. Mickey's Wild Adventure PS1
5. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros. 3DS
6. Layton's Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy 3DS *NEW*

Layton’s Mystery Journey: Katrielle and the Millionaires' Conspiracy

Layton’s Mystery Journey is the latest game in the long-running series for 3DS. In actuality, it originally came out on iOS, so this is actually a port rather than an entirely new entry. As a long-time fan of the series, I was super excited to have another game to play, but the iOS origins have meant that there are some changes to the format, and whether those are for the better is a matter of opinion.

Layton’s Mystery Journey stars Katrielle Layton, daughter of the eponymous Professor Layton, the main character of the series. She has just started up her own detective agencyin London alongside her assistant Earnest when her first client appears – a talking dog. The game is divided up into 12 chapters, each of which require you to solve puzzles in the classic Layton way whilst finding ‘clues’ to solve the mystery.

Unfortunately, the actual solving of the mystery is automatic – once all the clues are found, Katrielle solves it herself, and it’s a little unsatisfying. The payoff is let down even further because the actual solution to the mystery is clearly discernable for most cases way before the end of the game.

Also a little weak are the puzzles themselves – they’re easier than previous games in the series, and there more of them that you can’t get ‘wrong’ – you can just keep playing around until you stumble across the solution.

The 12 stories mostly revolve the Millionaires referred to by the title. Obviously we know something is up by the games title, but actually the conspiracy of note doesn’t even appear until the final chapter of the game – previous Layton titles built the mystery up throughout, but unfortunately here most cases are entirely unrelated to the others. The game does have some satisfying moments though – a late game murder case is surprisingly dark for the series, and the final chapter of the game seems to take more than a few cues from Spike Chunsoft’s Zero Escape series – albeit less grisly. The final twist of the game is thankfully on a par with previous Layton titles, and although it was clued in a bit heavily right before the big reveal, it still caught me by surprise when I caught on, even if it was before the game announced it. Mild spoilers though - the game however does end with many mysteries unsolved, suggesting a sequel is in the works.

Layton’s Mystery Journey is by far the weakest of the traditional Layton games, but it’s still an enjoyable little romp in it’s own right. It’s worth a shot for fans of the series, but if you’re new to the franchise, start from the beginning for the best experience.

Required Listening:

This is a new feature I’m going to start including in my reviews.

Click the image below to listen to one of my favourite tracks from the game!

prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:03 pm

I can’t wait to play that. I love the series, it have yet to play any of the 3DS entries...

1. Bastion (iOS)
2. LaserCat (360)
3. Zombie Incident (3DS)
4. Bye-Bye BoxBoy! (3DS)
5. Monument Valley 2 (iOS)
6. Zenge (iOS)
7. Master of Darkness (Game Gear/3DS)
8. Wonder Boy (SMS)
9. Full Throttle Remastered (iOS)
10. Adventure Island (NES)
11. Adventure Island II (NES)
12. Adventure Island (GB)
13. Super Adventure Island (SNES)
14. New Adventure Island (TG16)
15. Adventure Island III (NES)
16. The Legend of the Ghost Lion (NES)
17. Part Time UFO (iOS)
18. Adventure Island II: Aliens in Paradise (GB)
19. Adventure Island IV (NES)

From an aesthetic perspective, Adventure Island IV is very similar to its predecessors. It still has bright, clean graphics, a tropical setting, and upbeat music, and all of Master Higgins’ old enemies are back for revenge. From a gameplay perspective, however, it differs radically. Rather than being a tough-as-nails action platformer with a dynamic, yet unforgiving, time limit, Adventure Island IV is an occasional challenging exploratory platformer in the vein of Metroid or Castlevania II. Hudson tightened up the controls considerably for this release, and unlike it’s NES predecessors, the game’s password and movable checkpoint system is very respectful of player’s time. Better, the game is very, very fun, and I was compelled to go back to it until I saw the ending. While there is ultimately too much “empty space” and too many useless items for me to call it a great “metroidvania,” it is still a really fun game (with a great English translation!) that any fan of 8-Bit games can enjoy. Highly recommended.

Only two games left before I run the series! Super Adventure Island II is up next, and I’ve read that it’s pretty great.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:20 am

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 44
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (10 Games Beaten)
35. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
36. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
37. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
38. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
41. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
43. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25
44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

44. My Nintendo Picross: Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess - 3DS - March 28

My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess was, as the name implies, a reward exclusive to My Nintendo users on 3DS. It's a basic game - your standard Picross with Twilight Princess themed puzzles - but for my first exposure to Picross, you can't beat free. Even if the price tag weren't $0.00, though, this is far from a bad way to kill some time on a puzzle game.

The game is broken into three parts - Picross, Mega Picross, and Micross. Picross is the most basic game mode, and it's a lot like sudoku crossed with Pictionary. You have a series of numbers atop every column and to the left of every row telling you how many blocks are filled in each row or column and how many are adjacent. From there, you have to figure out what blocks should be filled and what blocks can't be filled to create the picture and complete the puzzle as quickly as possible. As you get into later stage puzzles, the puzzles get bigger, going from something like 10x10 to 20x20. Mega Picross is basically the same but with one major addition; there are some clues that span two columns or rows. You still have your regular single row/column hints, but there may be one section with seven adjacent squares stretching over two columns, for example, adding an extra element of challenge. Micross is like Picross within Picross. The main puzzle is a standard Picross puzzle, but once you finish that, each individual square of THAT puzzle has its own Picross puzzle to solve to add detail to a large overall picture.

The game offers you a "hint roulette" if you need a hand at the start. It scrolls through each row rapidly and, whatever row is highlighted is filled in. It then repeats for the columns. You can opt out of this - it asks you at the start of each puzzle - but it's good for those learning the ropes in Picross (or those like me who just suck at the game). You can also turn on a hint feature that will highlight the numbers atop each column/beside each row if there are moves that you can make for sure although it's still up to you to figure out what you can fill in or rule out. This can easily be toggled on or off at any time during a puzzle. You're scored based on your time, and every time you fill in a square that shouldn't be filled it, the game tells you that you're wrong, Xs out the square, and adds time to your clock as punishment (2 min, 4 min, 8 min, etc), so if you're really bad (i.e. me), at the game, you could spend 10 minutes on a puzzle and have a final time over two hours (true story).

My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess is probably the best free 3DS game I've ever played. It was my first exposure to Picross, so I can't say how it compares to other Picross games, but I thoroughly enjoyed my time with it. The three different puzzle modes gave the game some good variety, and the Micross kept me busy for over two hours start to finish. I'll probably go back to it every now and then and try to get a finish time of under one hour for the puzzles I horribly screwed up on (mainly Mega Picross) as you only get a black and white image if your final time is over an hour, but I think it says a lot about how much fun the game is if I'm planning to go back to it given that I'm notorious for playing a game once and literally never touching it again.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:11 pm

I forgot to mention this, but some time ago I beat Tyrian, via OpenTyrian on my Raspberry Pi.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:04 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
*6. Pikmin (GCN)*
*7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)*
8. Shining Force II (GEN)
*9. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (PS1)*
*10. Mafia (XBOX)*
11. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GCN)

12. ChuChu Rocket! (SDC)

I beat ChuChu Rocket! on the Sega Dreamcast this evening!

ChuChu Rocket was a game I knew very little of going into my collecting for the Dreamcast. I had heard somewhat of the game, but not a ton. So, when I went looking through the Dreamcast's library, I noticed that it was rather paltry. So, I made sure to keep an open mind and try to remember any game that I had heard about. When I got to ChuChu Rocket, I decided to check it out and found it out to be a puzzle game developed by Sonic Team. I was already getting Dreamcast games developed by the Sonic Team, so I decided to see if it was any good. While out shopping one day, I spotted it tucked away in a glass case. I had traded in a game that day, so I decided to spend my credit on a unique Dreamcast title.

ChuChu Rocket is a very simple game and a very simple concept. It is a one screen puzzle game played top down. You place arrows on the floor to guide mice into the rockets without them falling into pits or getting eaten by wandering cats. It plays very much like a fast paced Lemmings game and has a feeling of old school Bubble Bobble in a way. I will admit that I only played the Puzzle Mode, but I have heard that the Party mode is really enjoyable. I can imagine the insanity of four people crowded around a television play the game at once. By itself and in the Puzzle Mode, the game is surprisingly enjoyable. The music is very upbeat and the graphics are rather adorable. There is nothing better than figuring out a difficult puzzle and seeing the creative ones was a real treat. Even though it was short, it was enjoyable.

But, yes, the game is super short. The game had three different difficulties in the Puzzle Mode, each having 25 puzzles a piece. With a walkthrough, I was able to beat the game in less than an hour. I feel a little dirty in cheating, but it is not like the game had much to offer. With the servers down and only being myself, there is little meat on the bone for just a single player. It is a party puzzle game, so it just doesn't have the normal length of a game.

However, even with the short run time, it was still enjoyable. I am going to try and sucker my friend into playing a game or two just to test out the multiplayer aspect of the game because I'm assuming that is a huge part of it. Even without it, the game is not bad. I wouldn't pay too much for it, but for a fun little puzzle game, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:13 pm

1. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (Genesis)
2. Darkwing Duck (NES)
3. Batman* (NES)
4. Journey to Silius (NES)
5. Aladdin* (SNES)
6. Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse* (SNES)
7. Run Saber (SNES)
8. Batman: Return of the Joker (NES)
9. Ninja Warriors (SNES)
10. Thunder Spirits* (SNES)
11. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
11. Thunder Force III* (Genesis)
12. Donkey Kong Country* (SNES)
13. Skyblazer (SNES)
14. Super Turrican* (SNES)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2* (SNES)
16. Super Turrican 2* (SNES)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4)
18. Monster Hunter World (PS4)
19. Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSX)
20. Resident Evil 2: DualShock* [Claire A/Leon B] (PSX)
21. Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare (PS4)
22. Resident Evil HD* (PS4) [PLATINUM]
23. Resident Evil 5: Lost in Nightmares* (PS4)
24. Devil May Cry 4: Special Edition* (PS4)
25. Yakuza Kiwami (PS4)

* = replay

Another Yakuza down. So far I have played 3, 4, Zero, and Kiwami - in that order too. Which let to a bit of a jarring experience, both on my end and possibly the dev's changes to this version as well.

I feel like I'm coming off with more negatives than positives... yet this is still an awesome game. But the origins are showing its weaknesses for sure. Let's get the biggest issue out of the way first that had me raging throughout, every single boss in this game will eventually start regenerating massive amounts of health. I'm talking full bars worth if you don't do something about it quick. And this is really problematic later on with bosses who have multiple bars of health in general, you better be packing 20 some healing items throughout the whole game... luckily this wasn't my first Yakuza so I already kind of knew a lot of the basics and mechanics, but still. I even dug around into this online and everyone just seems to suggest what I was doing, to stop bosses from regenerating you have to trigger a Heat action... but that's only if you have enough Heat or the items to spare. So you're obviously not always going to have that option and this got really annoying, needlessly dragging boss battles out way longer than they needed to be. One of the major boss fights early on was quite tough too because it was before you were even allowed to fully explore the city and purchase some equipment.

Second set of issues, is the jarring experience playing this after Zero and how they implemented Majima Everywhere. He pops up for a lot of goofy scenes yet he's also in the main story, but this all gets mixed in at some point and is kind of awkward. There was even points later on in the game where I couldn't tell, was this another Majima Everywhere gag or an actual story battle? It kind of messes with the tone and fans of the original PS2 release seem to agree on this as well. Hopefully there's nothing quite like this in Kiwami 2.

Now, perhaps my biggest disappointment is... Nishikiyama. The hilarious thing is that he is a far bigger character with way more time and development in Zero, yet here he's hyped up as the main villain. When really, he only finally reveals himself at the very end after some quick flashbacks in the early going. The box cover spoils him being a villain, since him and Kiryu are best buds in Zero. There was so much potential here, but it's like Zero did too good of a job setting up all this backstory that the original Yakuza / Kiwami just does not deliver on. Kiryu is in jail for a 10 year story gap here, so I guess you just have to assume Nishikiyama turned to the dark side here and his best friend not being around was an issue so nobody could stop his descent into madness. Unfortunately his turn is just barely fleshed out and not very believable, not to mention how casually they axe another character who returns from Zero:
Reina, her being killed off screen and shown in such a bloody mess pissed me off. Fuck you Nishiki.

Ultimately, what I got from Kiwami here is seeing how Haruka and Kiryu's fates cross and how they meet up, which was pretty cool. So now I have Haruka's backstory and that's good. It's just a shame, that Zero is too damn good of a prequel that Kiwami doesn't follow up on very well... granted, I understand Zero was developed way later and all, so it might just be my order of playing these that let to some disappointments. I know some people here and elsewhere played Kiwami first though and still liked it, but I can't even put into words how much better Zero is. The Yakuza series has grown and changed for sure. Yet, looking back viewing this as a PS2 game originally, it definitely stacks up well compared to the storytelling norm back then for sure. Although, I'm extremely glad I didn't play through an atrocious dub (I'm assuming, heh).

I don't feel too compelled to play much of the side content in this one. Most of the side stories are the same and break out into cliche' fights with uninteresting side characters and lacking good comedy, whereas the other games are loaded with hilariously goofy characters and side content. This one is very thin in comparison, but I won't fault it much here. Still got about 18 hours out of this and the low price tag was pretty generous.

Super excited for 6 and Yakuza 2 sounds like it's generally voted as the best game next to Zero... I see this literally everywhere and heard it from a friend. The leap in terms of quality from Yakuza 1 to Yakuza 2 is tremendous, so I'm extremely pumped we're getting Kiwami 2 this year as well with the 6 engine. 6 sounds a little mixed, but the storytelling and character development from 3-4 and Zero to me is leagues above Kiwami, so I'm sure I will like it more I hope. Can't wait to see how the new engine is.

I still recommend Kiwami for new fans, just know going in that it has some issues and don't let it turn you off from Zero or the others! And if you don't have issues with it well great! Play the rest of the series because it rules.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Mar 30, 2018 6:50 am

So weird to hear some of those things about Kiwami, Xeo! Compared to the original first game that I played through a year or so ago:
- Regenerating health for bosses is just not a thing
- Nishikiyama's turn to evil still came out of nowhere, but I'd read they actually added a good bit MORE to his character development in Kiwami. That was the main draw of the game for me. It's a real shame to hear it's still crazy lackluster in the remake, but I get that they can't change it TOO much :?
- It's a shame to hear how much Majima Everywhere messes with the tone. You're very right in that Yakuza 1's tone is far more serious (and thread bare and full of holes) than other games in the series. Majima is one of the only kind of silly parts in the original game, and I can definitely see how just PACKING the game with more encounters with him would really be jarring.

Yakuza 2 is also very serious, but it's story is farrrr better fleshed out and uses its characters far better in terms of when and how they die, though I guess that isn't THAT hard given JUST how many characters they kill off in Yakuza 1 :lol: . Yakuza 1's combat engine really hasn't aged well, so it's nice to hear that Kiwami has heard that, but it's also a shame to hear that it really hasn't addressed a lot of the very fundamental narrative problems that game sufferers from. Great review though! I can't wait to see what you think of Kiwami 2! :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:52 pm

Wondered if you'd chime in PartridgeSenpai, hehe. :mrgreen:

Overall, I kind of saw Kiwami as like an expansion pack to Zero haha... since it was the same engine. This engine is pretty great, but I'm excited to see the more true next gen 6 and Kiwami 2 later this year for sure.

That's super bizarre the regenerating health for every boss was a new addition... NO idea what they were thinking. A new gimmick for returning players, or trying to make it harder? No idea, I played on normal by the way.

That's funny if they added some context for Nishikiyama... but yeah it still wasn't enough. I really liked him in Zero and was expecting to get emotionally invested in their rivalry, but I really didn't feel anything. I forget if you played Zero yet yourself? If not, in a reverse way here you'll have some good Nishikiyama moments to look forward to in Zero haha.

I'm guessing the two real Majima encounters were at the baseball batting range and then later on when he rams a truck into a building, haha. But yeah in between all of that and even during the final mission, he'll pop up for weird gags in the streets that just seemed odd... even to someone like myself who never played the original. This seems like something that should have been in Adventure Mode after beating it perhaps.

I did like how Kiryu was more ruthless and "rougher" in this though, he's still somewhat of a rookie here compared to 3-4, haha. So punching shit was his answer sometimes. It was hilarious when he used some poor waiter at the Chinese restaurant as a shield when someone pulled out an assault rifle. I was impressed with how violent things were, assuming most of that is still in the original too.

The music was also a bit subdued compared to the others I've played. Still great, but the OST's really improved too for sure. I like how Zero had a different theme for every battle stance, but Kiwami sadly didn't.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:12 pm

Xeogred wrote:Wondered if you'd chime in PartridgeSenpai, hehe. :mrgreen:

That's super bizarre the regenerating health for every boss was a new addition... NO idea what they were thinking. A new gimmick for returning players, or trying to make it harder? No idea, I played on normal by the way.

That's funny if they added some context for Nishikiyama... but yeah it still wasn't enough. I really liked him in Zero and was expecting to get emotionally invested in their rivalry, but I really didn't feel anything. I forget if you played Zero yet yourself? If not, in a reverse way here you'll have some good Nishikiyama moments to look forward to in Zero haha.

I'm guessing the two real Majima encounters were at the baseball batting range and then later on when he rams a truck into a building, haha. But yeah in between all of that and even during the final mission, he'll pop up for weird gags in the streets that just seemed odd... even to someone like myself who never played the original. This seems like something that should have been in Adventure Mode after beating it perhaps.

It's about Yakuza 1! Of course I had to say SOMETHING :lol:

I haven't played Zero yet, only 1 and 2 on PS3 in Japanese. Still haven't gotten to tackling the samurai-era one we never got here, but that's next on my hit list after I finish Tales of Legendia, so I'll probably play it soon. It's mechanically like EXACTLY the same as Yakuza 2, and after kinda being burned out on Yakuza 1 when I even started 2, I was just so not in the mood for MORE Yakuza at that point, particularly with lots of difficult samurai-era vocabulary to sift through (that game literally has it's own in-game dictionary, ffs :lol: ). Japanese review outlets of the time called it Yakuza 2.5, because it's basically just Yakuza 2 but on a PS3 with a different story/time period, and that's exactly the gist of it that I got when I sat down for it for an hour or two a good while ago.

It really does seem very strange to put in stuff like regening health and Everywhere Majima as default in normal mode (I played both original games on hard, btw, and it definitely didn't have it in there). They seem like stuff that definitely should've been selectable at the start, in a NG+, or some kind of thing locked to a particular difficulty.

You're right on with the Majima stuff as far as his actual appearances go. It's in the beginning in the alleyway, the baseball place, and the truck thing. He's in 2 a LOT more though, and he's SO much fun in it. He knows (or at least thinks) he's awesome and just REVELS in it :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:33 pm

I just wonder WTF Majima was thinking with his wardrobe change after Zero.

To...

It's hard to still take him seriously now. :lol:

I guess he really just started to revel in his own madness like you said.

Now that we have most of the Yakuza saga here in the West, I really hope Sega comes through on Hokuto Ga Gotoku as well. I'm a huge Hokuto no Ken fan and it looks absolutely incredible. I might just import this one if it comes to it.
Return to General Gaming