Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

by noiseredux Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:04 pm

Great write-up Markies. What's the cookie marathon? I must have missed that.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:41 pm

noiseredux wrote:Great write-up Markies. What's the cookie marathon? I must have missed that.

The Cookie Marathon is something I am doing this year for the first time on my Backloggery Page.

On January 1st, I used the Fortune Cookie to pick a completely random game on each of my systems and those would be the games that I would be starting the year off.

Unfortunately, the Cookie Marathon didn't exactly coincide with my 2018 Gaming Goals nor has it helped in the Together Retro, which I have been unfortunately not able to join.

The games selected for the 2018 Cookie Marathon were:

NES = Final Fantasy II
GEN = Shining Force II
SNES = Donkey Kong Country
N64 = Perfect Dark
SDC = ChuChu Rocket!
PS1 = The Granstream Saga
PS2 = Devil May Cry
GCN = James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire
XBX = Prince of Persia: Warrior Within

So, far it has been going fantastic. Shining Force II was my halfway point, so it's time to start the second half. It's been a great way to push me over the edge to play some games and I really liked the variety in my selection.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Mar 18, 2018 8:54 pm

Very cool.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:44 pm

Knocked out Coryoon on PC Engine and Flashgal for arcade. Verbiage for Flashgal will be in the TR thread.

From my Hardcore Retro Gaming post:

I just got my PC Engine-to-PSX controller adapter in. Wow, what a difference having something resembling a good d-pad makes. The system I ordered had a third-party controller with it, with a very stiff d-pad. It actually hurt to use at times! I tested it with a game that bested me with the old controller, Coryoon: Child of Dragon. If I must stoop to the term, it's a "cute-'em-up" from Naxat Soft starring a cutesy little dragon who apparently wants to change the princess (his owner?) back into an adult after she was magically changed by the big bad of the game.

The game itself finds you blasting through eight stages, of somewhat increasing difficulty. I say that because most of the time, staying alive only requires judicious grabbing of powerups when you can snag them (a shot upgrade gives you a hit buffer). The bosses range from easy to "aw, crap, I died again, hope I don't run out of lives this time!" That's where strategic snagging of powerups really helps.

The boss that ended my run the first time also threatened to end it this time, despite my having a better controller. It takes the form of a snake-like enemy in the second form, and shoots fire at you rather consistently. You have to keep moving, and it's only vulnerable in the head. Thankfully, dropping a boss will usually net you two or three extra lives, so by that point, you should have a store built up. He gave me more trouble in the re-fight, for whatever reason.

Other than that, seeing the colorful stages and enemies turns out to be rather neat, like most in this genre. The only complaint I have revolves around the colorful visuals. Sure, that can be a good thing, but parsing the on-screen action can be really tough! That's one of the reasons the game has to be somewhat forgiving.

Anyway, completely copies apparently sell for around $300 these days. I will absolutely, definitely say that this game is not worth that. It was probably a 7/10. That being said, feel free to go check it out if you enjoy (mostly) breezy shooters with a cute aesthetic.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
marurun

by marurun Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:51 pm

Coryoon was built on a really well-programmed engine, so much so that Hudson used that same engine for the first Air Zonk title. The music driver is particularly good, though it does suck up a lot of system CPU time. And yet the gameplay and graphical effects are fast and furious despite the music driver's overhead.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:18 pm

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 38
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (3 Games Beaten)
36. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
37. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
38. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18

38. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18

Bit.Trip Beat is the first game in the Bit.Trip series. Originally released on Nintendo's WiiWare service, the success of the game and the series it spawned saw ports to multiple platforms. What makes Bit.Trip Beat so awesome is that its extreme simplicity is complemented by extreme addictivity.

Beat essentially plays like someone said "What if we took Pong and made it a rhythm game?" You play as a paddle on the left side of the screen and have to bounce dots back as they come from the right side. Simple, yeah? There's only three levels, but each one is a marked increase in difficulty. You end up with dots that come back to you until you hit them multiple times, dots that burst into multiple dots, and even legit boss encounters. In addition to all of that, the dots fall in rhythm with the music so that every time you hit one back, the sound effect adds to the melody. It's a very simple concept, but it's a lot deeper than you first think.

The game has a very Atari 2600 aesthetic, but the visuals just serve a purpose; the star of the show here is the music. The soundtrack is absolutely phenomenal. I can't speak for the controls on other platforms, but tilting the Wiimote up and down to move your paddle feels so fluid and natural. The Wii really was the perfect platform for this game. I've played around with it on Vita a little bit, and while tilting the Vita up and down certainly works, it feels a lot more natural on the Wii. Whether it actually does perform better on the Wii or it's just my console bias speaking, I can't say, but it's a great game regardless.

Bit.Trip Beat is an inconspicuous little game that ended up garnering a cult following and fairly prolific series, and once you play it, it's not at all hard to see why. It takes the simple Pong formula, adds rhythm game mechanics, and turns it into something wholly new and addicting. It may not have the flashiest graphics, compelling story, or intricate gameplay, but it's fun, it's addicting, and it's got a killer soundtrack. I have zero problem recommending this game especially given how easily available it is.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:32 pm

marurun wrote:Coryoon was built on a really well-programmed engine, so much so that Hudson used that same engine for the first Air Zonk title. The music driver is particularly good, though it does suck up a lot of system CPU time. And yet the gameplay and graphical effects are fast and furious despite the music driver's overhead.

Oh, I didn't know they reused that engine. I haven't messed with Air Zonk yet. Very cool to know!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:36 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:38. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18

Super cool game. Beat the hell out of me though; so, nice work getting through it. I love Commander Video - my wife made me a Commander Video coffee mug a few years ago - and I really should revisit it. If only I could play it with an Atari paddle controller...
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:36 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:38. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18

Super cool game. Beat the hell out of me though; so, nice work getting through it. I love Commander Video - my wife made me a Commander Video coffee mug a few years ago - and I really should revisit it. If only I could play it with an Atari paddle controller...

Dude, I kept thinking that exact same thing about the paddle. I got through the first level no problem, and while it was tough, I got through the second level on my first try, but the endboss in the last level took me a few tries.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:12 pm

Borderlands 2 for PS4 on Normal as Axton. Also beat the DLC expansions.
Return to General Gaming