Games Beaten 2018

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2018

Post by Xeogred »

Sarge wrote:In goofing around, though, I finally learned the deal with adding "Orbs" to your enemies. See, you can chain level 1, 2, and 3 specials into a powerful ender combo that adds an "orb" to the enemy you're fighting. Once you've added these orbs, then if you use your Chain Attack, you have an opportunity to break them. If you break them, you get a big boost in your multiplier, and you get to add another round to your onslaught! You can see where this is heading...

...there's also a massively powerful boost for Pyra in the end game that makes her output amazing amounts of damage, especially in chain attacks. It's a one-time-per-battle thing, though. So I worked down the last boss to about half health, adding orbs as I could (it ended up being three), activated the super mode, and triggered my chain attack. I broke all three orbs, and in the course of the chain attack, I basically took that massive pool of health down all in one go. Heck, I had damage to spare! I was just piling on at the end. :lol: So I went from being mad at the game to saying, "Okay, not so bad after all."

Yeah, I didn't understand it until the final boss basically required me to look into it. Suffice to say, pulling off my first Full Burst combo on the final boss was exhilarating.

Were you expecting to not like the story with your doubt there or something? lol, for me:

XB1 - better story
XB2 - better characters

Maybe the characters made you enjoy it more. The quality of life improvements were amazing when you look back on the original. No more of that crappy left and right scrolling bar, instead that was reduced to single inputs. I still need to play XBX, but I'm not super interested and probably won't beat it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Are all these games, like, on one disc, dawg?

Yes...or one tiny cartridge. They were collected for both the Wii and 3DS.

I am digging your reviews, Elkin. It is my secret shame that I have not played through all of the Bit.Trip games.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Xeogred wrote:Yeah, I didn't understand it until the final boss basically required me to look into it. Suffice to say, pulling off my first Full Burst combo on the final boss was exhilarating.

Were you expecting to not like the story with your doubt there or something? lol, for me:

XB1 - better story
XB2 - better characters

Maybe the characters made you enjoy it more. The quality of life improvements were amazing when you look back on the original. No more of that crappy left and right scrolling bar, instead that was reduced to single inputs. I still need to play XBX, but I'm not super interested and probably won't beat it.

Nah, it's just that a lot of anime stuff turns me off a bit. A lot of the tropes in JRPGs as well. Dumb as dirt characters, and the whole, "Well, I guess we're off to kill God." This totally didn't do that! And the ending was happy! Sometimes that's all I need. The whole game was so earnest about it all (even the goofy characters!) that I couldn't help but enjoy myself. I liked the characters from the first game, but I definitely think the new ones are incredibly memorable. They were a ton better than I was expecting from all the pre-release artwork for the game.

You know, the scrolling left and right didn't bother me, and I think I'd have liked to have seen the triggers used to access a second set of moves (other games have done this), but what they had was fine. It's the inventory management that got me in the first game. Constantly sorting through junk, selling it, equipping it... blah. I think just removing the inventory limit for the first game would have improved things immensely. I think it's still my favorite of the series, but I can't deny that XC2 was far better than I expected, especially with as fast as they got it out.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Are all these games, like, on one disc, dawg?

Yes...or one tiny cartridge. They were collected for both the Wii and 3DS.

I am digging your reviews, Elkin. It is my secret shame that I have not played through all of the Bit.Trip games.

Thanks buddy! Yeah, I forgot about the 3DS collection. So one disc on Wii and PS4, and one tiny cartridge on 3DS and Vita!

Games Beaten in 2018 So Far - 44
* denotes a replay

January (16 Games Beaten)
1. Phantasy Star Portable - PlayStation Portable - January 1
2. Middle-Earth: Shadow of War - Xbox One - January 9
3. Duck Tales - NES - January 10
4. Yakuza Kiwami - PlayStation 4 - January 14
5. Xuan-Yuan Sword: The Gate of Firmament - PlayStation 4 - January 20
6. Doki Doki Literature Club - Steam - January 20
7. Deep Space Waifu - Steam - January 21
8. Turok: Dinosaur Hunter - Steam - January 21
9. Duck Tales 2 - NES - January 22
10. TaleSpin - NES - January 22
11. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers - NES - January 23
12. Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers 2 - NES - January 24
13. Global Defence Force - PlayStation 2 - January 24
14. Darkwing Duck - NES - January 25
15. Tiny Toon Adventures - NES - January 26
16. Poi - Steam - January 28

February (18 Games Beaten)
17. Galaxy on Fire 2 Full HD - Steam - February 3
18. Final Fantasy Legend - Game Boy - February 5
19. Valkyrie Drive Bhikkhuni - Vita - February 5
20. Super Little Acorns 3D Turbo - 3DS - February 8
21. Adventures in Equica: Unicorn Training - Android - February 8
22. Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest - SNES - February 10
23. X-COM: UFO Defense - Steam - February 14
24. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys -TurboGrafx-CD - February 18
25. Army Men - Game Boy Color - February 19
26. Army Men 2 - Game Boy Color - February 19
27. Army Men: Air Combat - Game Boy Color - February 20
28. Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA 2nd - PlayStation Portable - February 22
29. Army Men: Sarge's Heroes 2 - Game Boy Color - February 22
30. Army Men Advance - Game Boy Advance - February 24
31. Dynasty Warriors Gundam Reborn - PlayStation 3 - February 25
32. Army Men: Operation Green - Game Boy Advance - February 26
33. A Night Out - PC - February 27
34. Army Men: Turf Wars - Game Boy Advance - February 27

March (9 Games Beaten)
36. Phantasy Star - Master System - March 10*
37. Grand Kingdom - PlayStation 4 - March 17
38. Bit.Trip Beat - Wii - March 18
39. Bit.Trip Core - Wii - March 18
40. Bit.Trip Void - Wii - March 18
41. Bit.Trip Runner - Wii - March 22
42. Bit.Trip Fate - Wii - March 22
43. Bit.Trip Flux - Wii - March 24
44. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25

44. Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien - Wii U - March 25

Bit.Trip Runner 2 took everything that was great about Runner - which I had already considered to be a nearly perfect game - and made it even better. Literally everything has been improved over Runner. The presentation is leagues better, the levels are more varied in style, there are multiple playable characters, the music is even better, and freaking Charles Martinet narrates the game. They even fixed the one complaint I had about the original - checkpoints. They added checkpoints, and best yet, they're optional for folks wanting a challenge - jumping over the checkpoint skips it but adds 50,000 points to your score.

Runner 2 takes the foundation set by Runner and stretches it, filling in the gaps with awesome features you never knew you wanted. The game is broken into five worlds each with fourteen regular levels and five bonus levels for a whopping total of 96 levels to run, jump, and slide through. Each of the worlds has a drastically different theme, and while the gameplay remains pretty consistent throughout, the visual style gives each one a VERY different feel. The game's core mechanics remain the same from Runner, though; you have to jump, duck, kick, leap from springs, and raise your shield at the right times to traverse the game's obstacles. The biggest differences in the actual gameplay are the introduction of checkpoints and the overall refinement. Runner 2 feels a lot more responsive and fluid than Runner did, and I didn't even think there was much that really needed improvement in that regard.

There was always a storyline in the still images and storyboards of the first six Bit.Trip games, but it's made a little easier to follow for those of us with short attention spans in Runner 2 with Charles Martinet's truly fantastic narration. It was weird hearing him sound SO different from the voice we're all most used to from him - Mario - but the knowledge that it was him doing the narration gave it a special feel. I don't really know how to describe it, but there's something special about having Mario's voice actor do the narration for such a purely fun game.

Bit.Trip Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien is the perfect game for short bursts of play. It's broken up enough and easy enough to understand that it's got the positive aspects of casual games, but it's got enough challenge and clever level design to hold the attention of core gamers, too. The story if goofy, but the presentation and delivery coupled with Charles Martinet's narration make it an overall product that it's impossible not to love. As good as Bit.Trip Runner and Bit.Trip Fate were, Runner 2 is absolutely the pinnacle of the series. With Runner 3 set to release this year as a Switch console exclusive (also coming to Windows), the bar is set pretty high. Here's to hoping that Runner 3 does what Runner 2 did for Runner - improve things that I didn't think could be improved.
Last edited by ElkinFencer10 on Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

1. Ducktales: Remastered (360)
2. Grand Theft Auto V (Xbox One)
3. Diablo III: Darkening Of Tristram (Xbox One)
4. Final Fantasy Type-0 (Xbox One)
5. The King Of Fighters: Neowave (Xbox)

Neowave is a pretty middle of the road KOF entry. I mean, it's got a fairly interesting roster and all. But I don't know. It's just kind of good, not great. Also the music is pretty meh and the loading times are horrendous for some reason.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

1. Antarctic Adventure (Famicom)
2. Nuts & Milk (Famicom)
3. Commando (Atari 2600)
4. Binary Land (Famicom)
5. Devil World (Famicom)
6. Disney's Aladdin (SNES)
7. Popeye (NES)
8. Super Mario Land (Game Boy)
9. Ys: The Vanished Omens (Sega Master System)
10 Ys II: Ancient Ys Vanished - The Final Chapter (Famicom)
11. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest (SNES)
12. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
13. Otenba Becky no Daibouken (MSX)
14. Metroid (Famicom Disk System)
15. Mahou Kishi Rayearth (Game Boy)
16. Wabbit (Atari 2600)
17. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)

"It's too short!"

"It's too easy!"

Wrong. I mean, Kirby's Dream Land (HAL Labs & Nintendo, 1992) is indeed short and easy, but those are positive attributes rather than detriments. Kirby was released at the tail end of an era where platformers were essentially synonymous with "difficult." Castlevania had clunky controls and the Death & Dracula double feature. Ninja Gaiden was rife with pitfalls and ornithological terrors. Even Super Mario Bros., the genre-defining game itself, was undeniably unforgiving. And then here comes Kirby on Game Boy, sucking and blowing in all his effervescent glory. What a cool game.
The eponymous Kirby is an unusual protagonist: essentially a pink (white on the box art) happy-go-lucky vaguely-defined puffy thing. His home, Dream Land, has been ravaged by King Dedede (some sort of chunky pseudo-penguin) and all the food has been stolen. Perhaps that's why Kirby is so set on eating everything in sight. Not one to hop on foes or utilize a firearm, the voracious blob instead inhales enemies, which can then subsequently be swallowed for total elimination, or spit back out as star-shaped projectiles. Kirby also has airborne capabilities, as a push of the up button causes him to puff up even further and begin floating. Not only can he fly indefinitely, but he's also able to generate his own projectiles in this state, by spitting forth his inhaled air. Ultimately, Kirby is significantly overpowered when compared to any enemy faced along his journey. There's an impressive array of bosses and minibosses - with modified versions of Lolo and Lala making a humorous surprise appearance - though all go down without much of a fight.

Dream Land itself is comprised of only a handful of levels, and can be cleared in well under an hour. Stages themselves are surprisingly nonlinear, with plenty of passages and doorways (some hidden). That said, all roads still lead home and there's no conceivable way for Kirby to get lost along the way, nor is there a time limit. Everything in the game is intentionally and painfully cute. There's no urgency to the level design: these are inviting, soothing areas where one can linger for awhile. Enemies look as nonthreatening as they behave. Just a long parade of adorable bouncing creatures (real and imagined). The graphics are rather impressive. Kirby was released a few months before the exemplary Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins and both titles share a similar aesthetic. Big chunky sprites, plenty of open "white" space, and detailed backgrounds that eschew clutter and make excellent use of the original Game Boy's limited color palette. It's one of those games that makes me forget the Super Game Boy even exists -- there's simply no reason to play this in color. With only five stages, each one manages to stand out as distinct from the rest, and all open with a quaint "cutscene" that introduces the environment. The accompanying soundtrack is also excellent. It's almost comically upbeat and peppy, with the first appearance of the tune "Green Greens" being a certain crowd-pleaser.
I have little more to say about this one. Not because it's boring or blasé, but because Kirby's Dream Land possesses a sweet and sentimental charm that's best experienced rather than received second-hand. For those itching for more challenge, there is a hard mode, unlocked via a code received at the game's end. And while newer Kirby games showcase some enhanced controls, abilities, and allies, this one keeps it straightforward and simple, and for that I adore it. The credits refer to the programmer as one "Sunday Rain" (in actuality Satoru Iwata, or so I've heard) and it's a fitting moniker. When looking to relax and embrace some escapism on a warm, rainy Sunday afternoon there's nothing better than this pink (or white) puffball.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

PresidentLeever wrote:Vixen 357

You may already know this, but if not; Vixen 357 is the sequel to Hisou Kihei X-SERD on PCE. If you're interested in playing HKXS, it has an English translation: https://www.romhacking.net/translations/2780/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
AaronC
8-bit

Post by AaronC »

1) Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
2) Golf Story (Switch)
3) Azure Striker Gunvolt (Switch)
4) Shovel Knight (Switch)
5) Mummy Demastered (Switch)
6) Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (Switch)
7) SteamWorld Dig (Switch)

Both new additions are great. Really enjoyed the art style of Wonder Boy. Maybe one of the most visually appealing games I've played in quite some time. This was my first Wonder Boy ever and I really liked the way the game opened up with each transformation. Just a solid game all the way around.

But I have to say that I really enjoyed everything about SteamWorld Dig. The world, the characters, and the gameplay was all pretty awesome. I had played a little bit of it before on Wii U, but it just seems like it was made for the Switch as I played it in handheld mode the whole time. I'm waiting for the physical release of SteamWorld Dig 2, but I'm pretty stoked to play it. My highest recommendation for this one.
pierrot
Next-Gen

Post by pierrot »

PresidentLeever wrote:Thanks. Yeah I remember seeing the news on RHDN, but I'm skeptical about earlier TBS games as they tend to be too basic, have poor interfaces and/or poor balance. Warsong is about as far back as I can go if I wanna finish the game.

I had to dig around a little for this post of mine from when I tried out Vixen: https://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=38795&p=1049285&hilit=vixen#p1049285.

The important part is that according to the random Japanese blogger I found talking about Vixen and Hisou Kihei X-Serd, the former is as toilet paper, and the latter is the greatest strategy game of all time. I didn't play enough of Vixen to formulate a lot of opinions that weren't, admittedly, a little bit surface; I didn't enjoy it, though, and was plenty willing to believe that X-Serd is much better.
Markies
Next-Gen

Post by Markies »

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2018!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. The Granstream Saga (PS1)
2. Perfect Dark (N64)
*3. Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete (PS1)*
4. Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (XBOX)
5. Donkey Kong Country (SNES)
*6. Pikmin (GCN)*
*7. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina Of Time (N64)*
8. Shining Force II (GEN)
*9. X-Men Vs. Street Fighter (PS1)*
*10. Mafia (XBOX)*

11. James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (GCN)

I beat James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire on the Nintendo GameCube this evening!

My enjoyment of first person shooters dates back to GoldenEye on the N64. Even though I was never a big fan of the James Bond franchise, GoldenEye left a huge mark on my teen years and one that holds a special place in my heart. With that in mind, I always associate FPS games with the James Bond name and I've always been curious about them. I enjoyed the offshoot game, Rogue Agent, last year, so it was time to try a real James Bond game. They stopped making them for a while, so Agent Under Fire is a completely new experience from the ground up.

Agent Under Fire is a love letter to old Bond games and old FPS games in general. Everything that you have come used to in FPS games thanks to Halo, dual stick control, frequent checkpoints, regenerating health, is gone and completely stripped away. You move and shoot with one analog stick as the other one acts more like the C-Buttons in GoldenEye. You only have three lives to finish the level with maybe only one checkpoint in them. Heck, even the multiplayer has Bots. The nostalgic trip is so much fun that it feels nice to step back in time for just a moment. It's not something I'd do forever, but it's nice to remember the good old days of FPS games. Also, the game loves to mix it up a bit. Almost a quarter of the game is either on rails, driving a car or handling turret which is an absolutely blast and makes the game fly by.

Though, the game is not long at all. In reality, you could beat it in a day long sitting. Though the controls feel nice and nostalgic, there are certain spots where they feel incredibly clunky. Also, the switching between guns and gadgets never felt quite right especially during an intense gun fight. Also, enemies taking a surprisingly amount of bullets and the game can be quite linear. Though, the most disappoint aspect is that the story is kind of cheesy. They had the freedom to do anything and they chose a plot done a hundred times before.

In the end, James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire is a love letter to many things that make Bond great. He is suave with one liners, women fall all over him and he shoots many bad guys. It's also a love letter to great old Bond games. It has everything that made GoldenEye great along with the flaws that modern FPS games are spotlighting. If you want an old school throwback and a short rush, it's not a bad choice.