I don't like y's

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: I don't like y's

Post by Segata »

Ys III is awesome. The SNES version which to clarify isn't a port. Each version was developed by a different company but not ported. Genesis version is great. Turbo CD version is best. The first game is accessible. First game I played in the series was I on DS in 2010. DS version is not very good but still got me into the series. The only issue I have with Ys I is it needs a map sometimes. Ys III has a great soundtrack from Noriyuki Iwadare. It's up there with Grandia IMO.
marurun

Post by marurun »

When referring to older games, ports aren’t necessary ports of the original code. As long as it is a fairly faithful adaptation it is considered a port. Pedantry need not apply here.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

The Genesis version in one aspect is better, not butchering out the original anime style visuals, but it's still low tier garbage compared to the intended good format on the TG16/PCE CD. The remastered/reimaging Oath in Felghana dropped that scrolling to go with the traditional style but in a smoother accessible way which gave it some good added value (as stated making it maybe one of the very best of the lot.)

The DS version was a weird hybrid of 2D sprites and 3D land but it's by no means one of the worst or a bad version. It's a faithful release of the old Ys 1 and 2, I finished it, and originally finished it on the TG CD first, later the PC (modern) one. You seem to have a uniquely warped sense of what's decent in the franchise but whatever floats your boat eh?
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Opened this to see Bones response :)

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Jagosaurus wrote:Opened this to see Bones response :)

I'm honestly surprised he wasn't too triggered to respond at all.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Stark
Next-Gen

Post by Stark »

Ys Book I and II on TG16 CD, as Bone said, is the way to go. Best soundtrack and a great intro to the series. I re-played it on PSP about 5 years ago, it has the option to use the PCE soundtrack if you so choose and was a great substitute for the original.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

If I ever play through Ys I/II again, it will be via Chronicles. Didn't care much for the TGCD version.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I must order that Terraonion Super SD System 3 device so I can experience Ys Book 1+2 again this year among the other discs I once owned before the great dying of the collection. I've so missed the NEC goodness for too long.