2018 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: 2018 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Post by alienjesus »

October update. The goals, as usual by this point, are basically a write off. But I least I made a dent in them? The main issue is just that I kinda got tired of working towards them eventually and just decided to play some other stuff I felt like playing. After all, the goals were a goal for fun, not work. Still, progress to date:

alienjesus wrote:Beating games:

1. Beat every game I recieved as a Christmas or birthday present in 2017.
Currently beaten: 10/13
List so far:
1. Nier Automata
2. Layton's Mystery Journey
3. Dynamite Cop
4. Mega Man 7
5. Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle
6. Metroid Samus Returns
7. Mega Man 8
8. Conker's Bad Fur Day
9. Ever Oasis
10. Jet Set Radio Future
Unfinished list: Gravity Rush 2, The Last Guardian, Xenoblade Chronicles 2

2. Beat (or sell on) at least 1/3rd of unbeaten games I received as Christmas/Birthday presents prior to 2017.
[color=#BF0000]Current progress: 6/12
List so far:
1. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Age of Empires: The Age of Kings (sold)
4. Shinobi X
5. Shinobi
6. New Super Luigi U

A little bit more progress here, but only a little!

3. Beat at least 1/3rd of games I've purchased at the London Retro Game Market to date.
Currently beaten: 7/12
List so far:
1. Little Nemo: The Dream Master
2. Legacy of the Wizard
3. Rhyme Rider Kerorican
4. Sonic Advance 3
5. Super Adventure Island
6. Crazy Taxi
7. Ecco: The Tides of Time

Nope...

4. Beat all the games I was challenged to beat in my 'challenge me' thread.
Currently beaten: 7/14

1. Dynamite Cop (Ack)
2. Rhythm Tengoku (Dunpeal)
3. Portal 2 (Noiseredux)
4. Shinobi (Gunstar Green)
5. Ecco: The Tides of Time (KeyGlyph)
6. Fire Emblem: Fuuin No Tsurugi (Exhuminator)
7. Jet Set Radio Future (SamuraiMegas)

Took out 2 of these since my last update.

5. Participate in every Together Retro month to some extent.
So far:
January (Licensed Platformers): I beat Little Nemo, Batman and Mickey's Wild Adventure
February (Final Fantasy Spin-offs): I tried Kingdom Hearts and didn't like it, so I sold all the games in the series I owned.
March (80s Ladies Night): I beat Legacy of the Wizard, The Legend of Zelda and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. I've also started, but not finished Earthbound Beginnings.
April: I beat Shinobi X for Saturn and have started but not finished Wing Commander III for 3DO.
May: I didn't play this month, so I guess I failed this challenge, but I'll try to join in other months this year!
June: I finished Advance Guardian Heroes and Alien Storm
July: I played through Vertical Force
August: I finished Conker's Bad Fur Day
September: I played through Wario World
October plan - I've finished Koudelka
November: I've started up Flower, Sun & Rain

6. Beat one unbeaten game in every series I own at least 2 unbeaten games in.
List to beat + comments:
- Atelier
- Danganronpa
- Devil May Cry
- Donkey Kong Country
- Dragon Quest
- Earthbound- Done!
- Final Fantasy
- Fire Emblem - Done!
- Harvest Moon
- The Legend of Zelda - Done!
- Mario & Luigi - Done!
- Mario Golf
- Metal Gear Solid
- Rayman
- Resident Evil - Done!
- Shinobi Done x 2
- Sonic the Hedgehog - Done!
- Super Mario Bros. - Done!
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Wave Race - Done!
- Wonder Boy - Done!
- Ys
- Zero Escape - Done! [/i]

Hey, lots of sudden progress here. I beat a Fire Emblem game (Fuuin No Tsurugi), Mario game (New Super Luigi U), Wave Race game (the GB one) and Zero Escape game (Virtue's Lasst Reward) since my last update.

Buying games:
1. Beat 2 games to buy 1 new unbeaten game
This is going very badly...

2. Acquire 1 physical copy of a game I own on Virtual Console per month. These won't count towards rule 1 unless they're still unbeaten.
Jan: Winds of Thunder, Feb: Ufouria: The Saga. March & April: Donkey Kong Country 2 & Gunstar Heroes. May: DoReMi Fantasy. June: Mega Man 4. July: Secret of Mana. August: Ristar. September: StarTropics. Nothing for October or November yet.

3. Finish my collection of Rare titles for N64
Mission accomplished! I picked up Killer Instinct Gold and GoldenEye at the retro market in April, and Mickey's Speedway USA at the retro market in July.

4. Acquire at least 3 more games towards my collection of games by Treasure.
Mission surpassed, I'm actually at 5 new Treasure titles this year - Gunstar Heroes, Advance Guardian Heroes, Wario World, Silhouette Mirage and Light Crusader.

Other:
1. Upgrade at least 1 of my consoles, preferably 2.
This one isn't done, and probably won't be at this point.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

My usual resolution of "play more, buy less" has been going pretty well :)
Just last month alone, I made like $1200 from selling games and such I don't need anymore. I was even able to get rid of a shelving unit in my room and it's given this place a lot more space :D
In the past few months especially, I've done a really good job at playing and beating more or less every game I buy not too long after I've bought it, so that's another happy thing ^w^
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Wow 2018 is already nearly over. Let's see how bad I've done so far...

Exhuminator wrote:1. Finish Xenoblade Chronicles. Beat it.

2. Beat Final Fantasy VIII.

3. Beat Grandia.

4. Beat Dark Souls.

5. Beat at least 1 Dreamcast game.

6. Beat at least 1 OG Xbox game. I beat Fatal Frame Special Edition.

7. Beat at least 1 PS2 game. I've beaten many PS2 games this year.

8. Beat at least 1 GameCube game.

9. Beat Aquanaut's Holiday: Hidden Memories (PS3). Beat and adored this one.

10. Beat at least one retro game for each month's TR in 2018. That train's chuggin' along.

Well actually I'm doing better than I thought. I don't see Dark Souls happening this year, but I can still pull a GameCube and Dreamcast beat. I don't know about Grandia and Final Fantasy VIII, not sure I'll have time. I went ahead and counted 10 because unless something dramatic happened to me, I'm very much on track to accomplish that goal, and fully intend to keep doing so.

My list for next year will be five items at most.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

One final update for last years goals:

alienjesus wrote:Beating games:

1. Beat every game I recieved as a Christmas or birthday present in 2017.
Currently beaten: 10/13
List so far:
1. Nier Automata
2. Layton's Mystery Journey
3. Dynamite Cop
4. Mega Man 7
5. Mario & Rabbids Kingdom Battle
6. Metroid Samus Returns
7. Mega Man 8
8. Conker's Bad Fur Day
9. Ever Oasis
10. Jet Set Radio Future

[color=#BF0000]I managed 10 of 13, and started on the 11th. Good progress, even if I didn't manage to finish this goal.

2. Beat (or sell on) at least 1/3rd of unbeaten games I received as Christmas/Birthday presents prior to 2017.
Current progress: 6/12
List so far:
1. Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.
2. The Legend of Zelda
3. Age of Empires: The Age of Kings (sold)
4. Shinobi X
5. Shinobi
6. New Super Luigi U

Unfortunately I did a lot worse on this one...

3. Beat at least 1/3rd of games I've purchased at the London Retro Game Market to date.
Currently beaten: 7/12
List so far:
1. Little Nemo: The Dream Master
2. Legacy of the Wizard
3. Rhyme Rider Kerorican
4. Sonic Advance 3
5. Super Adventure Island
6. Crazy Taxi
7. Ecco: The Tides of Time

And this...

4. Beat all the games I was challenged to beat in my 'challenge me' thread.
Currently beaten: 7/14

1. Dynamite Cop (Ack)
2. Rhythm Tengoku (Dunpeal)
3. Portal 2 (Noiseredux)
4. Shinobi (Gunstar Green)
5. Ecco: The Tides of Time (KeyGlyph)
6. Fire Emblem: Fuuin No Tsurugi (Exhuminator)
7. Jet Set Radio Future (SamuraiMegas)

I seem to have done about half of all my goals...

5. Participate in every Together Retro month to some extent.
So far:
January (Licensed Platformers): I beat Little Nemo, Batman and Mickey's Wild Adventure
February (Final Fantasy Spin-offs): I tried Kingdom Hearts and didn't like it, so I sold all the games in the series I owned.
March (80s Ladies Night): I beat Legacy of the Wizard, The Legend of Zelda and Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap. I've also started, but not finished Earthbound Beginnings.
April: I beat Shinobi X for Saturn and have started but not finished Wing Commander III for 3DO.
May: I didn't play this month, so I guess I failed this challenge, but I'll try to join in other months this year!
June: I finished Advance Guardian Heroes and Alien Storm
July: I played through Vertical Force
August: I finished Conker's Bad Fur Day
September: I played through Wario World
October plan - I finished Koudelka
November: I beat Flower, Sun & Rain
December: I beat U.N Squadron

6. Beat one unbeaten game in every series I own at least 2 unbeaten games in.
List to beat + comments:
- Atelier
- Danganronpa
- Devil May Cry
- Donkey Kong Country
- Dragon Quest
- Earthbound- Done!
- Final Fantasy
- Fire Emblem - Done!
- Harvest Moon
- The Legend of Zelda - Done!
- Mario & Luigi - Done!
- Mario Golf
- Metal Gear Solid
- Rayman
- Resident Evil - Done!
- Shinobi Done x 2
- Sonic the Hedgehog - Done!
- Super Mario Bros. - Done!
- Valkyria Chronicles
- Wave Race - Done!
- Wonder Boy - Done!
- Ys
- Zero Escape - Done! [/i]

Again, I made a dent in this goal, but didn't come close to finishing it

Buying games:
1. Beat 2 games to buy 1 new unbeaten game
I ended up buying about 1 game for every game I beat, which is much better than previous years, but I still need work to progress on this one for next year!

2. Acquire 1 physical copy of a game I own on Virtual Console per month. These won't count towards rule 1 unless they're still unbeaten.
Jan: Winds of Thunder, Feb: Ufouria: The Saga. March & April: Donkey Kong Country 2 & Gunstar Heroes. May: DoReMi Fantasy. June: Mega Man 4. July: Secret of Mana. August: Ristar. September: StarTropics. I didn't end up getting anything for October, November or December.

3. Finish my collection of Rare titles for N64
Mission accomplished! I picked up Killer Instinct Gold and GoldenEye at the retro market in April, and Mickey's Speedway USA at the retro market in July.

4. Acquire at least 3 more games towards my collection of games by Treasure.
Mission surpassed, I'm actually at 5 new Treasure titles this year - Gunstar Heroes, Advance Guardian Heroes, Wario World, Silhouette Mirage and Light Crusader.

Other:
1. Upgrade at least 1 of my consoles, preferably 2.
I bought myself a Game Boy Micro, which I'm counting as an acceptable upgrade for this

Overall mixed results, but I made some decent progress on all my goals, even if I didn't quite finish any of them.
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

Nemoide wrote:I've been on a serious Bemani kick lately so that's effecting a lot of my goals:

1) Get back into Dance Dance Revolution, so I can play hard songs without being totally out of breath
2) Get better at Beatmania IIDX; I'd like to be able to play level 10 songs by the end of the year, but I don't know if that's a realistic goal (it's a SLOOOOW game to progress in, I'm confident with most 5s and can clear some 6s)
3) Get a fancy DJDao IIDX controller (I'm eyeing the Platinum Edition Evolution... or maybe the FP7)
4) Play through at least one Dragon Quest spinoff
5) Play through Castlevania: The Arcade and Alien vs Predator in the arcade (because my local arcade has both and that's amazing)
6) Shrink the backlog!

1) SUCCESS - I met my old high water mark and am now better than I've ever been before!
2) CLOSE ENOUGH TO SUCCESS - I still can't clear level 10 songs (though I rarely try), I can clear some 9s
3) NOPE! But a new one got released at the end of the year and that's one I'll probably get one this year after my big trip to Japan in March.
4) KIND OF ALMOST - I *started* Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 but I'm still far from beating it.
5) YES AND NO. Castlevania: The Arcade ended up being a really buggy cabinet and it kept crashing, then it left the arcade pretty early in the year. I did beat Alien vs. Predator though!
6) HAHAHA, NOPE. My backlog EXPLODED in 2018. Badly. I got a Wii and loaded up on VC games, got NES and SNES minis, and an N64 with a bundle of games.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Xeogred wrote:
Xeogred wrote:
Xeogred wrote:- Play Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
- Play one OLD Dragon Quest game
- Play Marvelous: Another Treasure Island
- Play Gun Hazard
- Play Brain Lord

- Play Mega Man IV (GB)
- Play Metroid 2
- Tackle some PS2 Backlog
- Eliminate PSX Backlog

- Played Mystic Quest during the FF spinoffs TR month, while it has great music nothing else really kept me going after the initial hours. This was the second time I've tried playing this so it's probably the last attempt.
- Played Dragon Quest III (SFC) and while gorgeous to look at, it had no characters/story... so no spark really caught my interest. I'll try another one some other time.
- Beat Gun Hazard, simply put this is my RetroGOTY so far.
- Beat Brain Lord, I have many issues with this one but otherwise I'm glad I played it.
- Beat Metroid 2 FINALLY with the power of a color hack and it was amazing, loved it.

While Dragon Quest III (SFC) didn't work for me earlier this year... Dragon Quest V (DS) did! Just knocked that one out.

Played and beat Shadow Hearts for the PS2 and loved it. Played a few other PS2 games but didn't finish a few.

Overall I guess that's a wrap. Knocked out most of the goals!