2018 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: 2018 Gaming Goals and Resolutions

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I don't like to set hard specific goals, because that usually just sets me up for failure.

Some more casual ideas that have been rolling around in my head....

I have some hardware that's failing (sniffle) and would like to start looking into repairs, even replacements if necessary. Ouch.

I'd like to hit up my MSX, and play some PC WRPGs as well. It's been a long time.

Getting back to writing "good" lengthy reviews in Games Beaten would be fun.

Other than that, not much. As always I'll pick away at my backlog, replay old favorites, and hopefully discover some great "new" retro titles.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

In light of my utter failure in 2017, I am going to set more modest goals for 2018. Here goes nothing...

1. Complete my Atari 7800 collection (Mean 18, Midnight Mutants, Ninja Golf, Scrapyard Dog, Tank Command)
2. Complete my PS3 collection (Black Ops III, DBZ Budokai Collection HD, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator, Persona 5, Yakuza 3)
3. Complete my collections of digital games for seventh generation consoles
4. Beat another Dragon Quest game
5. Beat another King’s Field game
6. Beat Dark Souls
7. Beat at least five more classic games on my “to beat” list
8. Finish off all the games in at least three series (e.g., Contra, Fantasy Zone, Kid Icarus, Metroid, etc.)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

prfsnl_gmr wrote:5. Beat another King’s Field game

Best goal I've seen yet!

I recommend this one:

It's fantastic. On some days I like it even more than KF4.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Seeing as how I've failed miserably at my goals the past two years, I don't hold a lot of hope for 2018, but I'll try to set some more modest goals this year. I'm going to try to buy house this year, so that's going to affect my gaming funds.

1. Complete my Fire Emblem collection (missing Binding Blade and New Mystery of the Emblem)

2. Complete my North American Wii U set (I'm 10 games away)

3. Beat at least three of the following games
a. Lunar: The Silver Star (Sega CD)
b. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment (PS1)
c. Xuan-Yuan Sword: Gate of Firmament (PS4)
d. Fatal Frame IV (Wii)
e. Ys IV: The Dawn of Ys (PC Engine CD)
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Mine are nice and simple.

1: Be more active in Together Retro (where possible).

2: Give more love to my neglected handhelds, that being the NGPC and PSP.

3: Play moar retro games. I have a nice stack of Famicom and Super Famicom games going cold in boxes under my bed.

4: Quit smoking.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

1. Beat 3 games in my PS1 backlog.
2. Beat 3 games in my PS2 backlog.
3. Beat 3 games in my PS3 backlog.
4. Don't ask for video games as Christmas presents unless completing 1-3.
5. Obtain some flash carts.
6. Go easy on the Nintendo Switch purchases.

This year's theme is going to be about managing my backlog. Most of my PlayStation games are RPGs so I gotta keep the numbers low to be realistic. I also need to try not to go hog wild on Switch purchases. I did pretty good this year at 4 physical games and 2 digital. I think I want to keep the total under 10 but I'm not putting a hard limit on it. That one is going to be hard as my Switch wishlist is rapidly growing.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

I am going to try to limit this list to just three things this year.

1. Create and publish a video game. Sell it.
2. Create and have some respectable outlet publish an essay about video games. Share it.
3. Create and utilize the developing retro-gaming room in my basement. Post pictures.

Elaboration on these, if you are interested:
1. I think I'd like to pull together a lot of the visual and musical experimentation I have been doing over the past couple of years into a video game, and I have some design ideas that should work. I will need to learn game creation software and the process of publishing stuff along the way, but I am ready to do so.

2. I took a bit of time off from writing this year and want to move back on course in 2018 with regular writing, publishing, etc. At least some of that should be about games.

3. I started working on a downstairs space to do more retro gaming, and I want to finalize its design, organize the games in there much better, and otherwise make the space more inviting. I'd love to have this finished by the Spring so I can enjoy it in the Summer.
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

First, I really enjoyed reading everyone else's resolutions, and it inspired me to do some of my own.

I have a few simple ones that are overall, then some specific ones for consoles. So here's my 2018 Gaming Goals and Resolutions:

1. Beat more than I buy. I did this last year (21 beaten, 14) bought, and want to widen those margins and continue the streak.
2. Write an article and publish it every two weeks on my site.
3. Spend $0 after I flip and trade games in. I ended 2017 with $248 in my pockets.
4. Use said trades and profits from flips to self-fund a Nintendo Switch.
5. Get my backlog to under 60
6. Have another Michigan Racketboy Meetup in the SE Michigan Area. Do some gaming with BogusMeatFactory and the like.
7. Beat the following games:

SNES = Beat Donkey Kong Country, Final Fantasy 3
Wii = Beat Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2
Wii U = Beat Zombi U, Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Dreamcast = Beat Skies of Arcadia and Grandia II
Xbox One = Beat Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
PS4 = Beat Yakuza Kiwami and Yakuza 6
Last edited by Blu on Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I intend this year to get back into the TG/PCE stuff this year, but as a game player, NOT a collector. I've ordered a PCE Core Grafx 2 from Japan and it's outbound from there hours ago.

Same as the last year, scale more stuff OUT of the collection, and not just the game one, but other stuff too. I'd rather have the money than more clutter.

Also same as last year, play more stuff, make the effort to be less lazy to start as I'm good when I get into things.

Focus on just one new system only going forward, spread the rest of the time with the computer and past generation games on the consoles and handhelds I've retained.

I want to have less distraction ultimately to like what I have and USE it properly too.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

dsheinem wrote:1. Create and publish a video game. Sell it.

A noble goal, I wish you luck.

--

This is kind of a digression, but eh why not... Earlier this year, I was working on my own little video game. A completely randomly generated shmup. I made a lot of progress on it, got to the point of a playable demo (sans the boss parts). If anybody wants to play a shmup made by Ex:

http://www.filedropper.com/ex-shmup-demo

That demo has no sounds (didn't get that far), and simple placeholder graphics. But it does allow you to play for a high score in a limited time. The yellow boxes are power-ups, touch them. Don't touch the black holes.

Controls are:

Arrow Keys (move)
Spacebar (shoot)
F5 (reset game)

-

And now back to your regularly scheduled goals thread.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.