Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
User avatar
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5030
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by samsonlonghair Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:49 pm

Reprise wrote:
samsonlonghair wrote:You know what would be cool? A bluetooth six-button Genesis or Saturn controller that doesn't stink. No more infrared nonsense. None of the garbage that at@games shovels out. Just a good, solid bluetooth controller like the PS4 or XBone controller, except for sega nerds like us! 8)

A man can dream. :)


Pretty sure those just got confirmed, along with a bluetooth Dreamcast controller...

racketboy wrote:Yup here you go
http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/10/ret ... s-revealed

nice to see a good lineup.

Awesome sauce!

racketboy wrote:interesting to see the Dreamcast VGA adapter show with the old official design. Looks like they just bought the rights to all the old original molds and added the new USB and Bluetooth guts for the controllers. That's not a bad thing, but not having an HDMI adapter for the Dreamcast is telling they they kinda went for the "easy" way out.

From a business standpoint, they probably got a good enough deal on the rights and they figure they can move enough units to make a profit.

Wasn't there a quality-control issue with those VGA adapters? No offense to you, Racket. I seem to recall that you had to spend a lot of hours helping dis-satisfied customers after the sale. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9364
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by racketboy Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:10 pm

samsonlonghair wrote:No offense to you, Racket. I seem to recall that you had to spend a lot of hours helping dis-satisfied customers after the sale. Feel free to correct me if I am mistaken.


I'm actually pretty fuzzy, but I'm sure that troubleshooting thread still exists. However, those weren't the official ones and I don't recall having nearly as much troubleshooting as the Saturn chips (soldering/installation, of course complicates things). There were always a few issues regarding on some units where the colors would be skewed because of something coming loose in construction, but China, ya know?
User avatar
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5030
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by samsonlonghair Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:35 pm

racketboy wrote:China, ya know?

Right. I know what you mean.
User avatar
PresidentLeever
128-bit
 
Posts: 935
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:16 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by PresidentLeever Wed Jan 10, 2018 3:48 pm

My Saturn USB controller's d-pad is getting a bit worn down so I might pick one of those up.

What I really want to see though is high quality MD and Saturn mini consoles that take original games and have online connections.
Last edited by PresidentLeever on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
User avatar
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 5030
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:11 pm
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by samsonlonghair Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:17 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:My Saturn SUB controller's d-pad is getting a bit worn down so I might pick one of those up.

What I really want to see though is high quality MD and Saturn mini consoles that take original games and have online connections.

That sounds nifty to me. :mrgreen:
User avatar
chuckster
32-bit
 
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Sep 27, 2014 3:05 pm

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by chuckster Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:40 pm

nightrnr wrote:I am super skeptical about Sega controllers.

I may have to try that SNES buffalo controller, as the SNES was the only other system besides the big Sega 3 to really get the D-pad right for me (N64 is basically the same D-pad, but awkward shape for a digital controller, more for 3D gameplay). If they got the Buffalo close to quality, it would really be an asset to emulation, and a must have for a pi setup.
...wondering if USB Saturn adapters work on the pi...


Know I'm late here but I have had an iBuffalo SNES pad for about 4 years. It has been great up until recently. After playing through Cuphead with it without issue, I dug it out to test my Pi and the D-pd is sticking intermittently. I haven't oped it up to see what's going on or if it is fixable, but I thought you guys may like to know.

I'll be testing the Mayflash USB adapter for Saturn on the Pi tonight and keep you posted.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

With the trouble with the iBuffalo and the lag introduced by the Mayflash, I am really hoping these Saturn USB controllers are solid and not outrageous (looking at the history of Retrobit I'm more concerned about the former than the latter). I'm also interested in the power adapters for Genesis and S-video cables for Saturn. Both of those things are hard to find quality versions of without shelling out some dough for the originals.

I've always thought Sega consoles were undeserved by this resurgence of retro gaming. If these things are decent quality I will definitely be grabbing quite a few different items. Any word on release date or pricing?
Tanooki
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 6947
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by Tanooki Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:43 am

Is the Buffalo really that awesome? I've just been lazy about it and never tried to get one, plus I never dug to see if they had variants like 8bitdo with the normal or added buttons/sticks setup too.

I kind of just use that now, wired, (NES style 8bitdo pro) for the computer as it handles things nicely.
User avatar
Note
24-bit
 
Posts: 106
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:39 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by Note Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:54 am

chuckster wrote:
nightrnr wrote:I am super skeptical about Sega controllers.

I may have to try that SNES buffalo controller, as the SNES was the only other system besides the big Sega 3 to really get the D-pad right for me (N64 is basically the same D-pad, but awkward shape for a digital controller, more for 3D gameplay). If they got the Buffalo close to quality, it would really be an asset to emulation, and a must have for a pi setup.
...wondering if USB Saturn adapters work on the pi...


Know I'm late here but I have had an iBuffalo SNES pad for about 4 years. It has been great up until recently. After playing through Cuphead with it without issue, I dug it out to test my Pi and the D-pd is sticking intermittently. I haven't oped it up to see what's going on or if it is fixable, but I thought you guys may like to know.

I'll be testing the Mayflash USB adapter for Saturn on the Pi tonight and keep you posted.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

With the trouble with the iBuffalo and the lag introduced by the Mayflash, I am really hoping these Saturn USB controllers are solid and not outrageous (looking at the history of Retrobit I'm more concerned about the former than the latter). I'm also interested in the power adapters for Genesis and S-video cables for Saturn. Both of those things are hard to find quality versions of without shelling out some dough for the originals.

I've always thought Sega consoles were undeserved by this resurgence of retro gaming. If these things are decent quality I will definitely be grabbing quite a few different items. Any word on release date or pricing?


Please keep us posted on your findings with the Mayflash USB adapter and the Saturn controllers. I was thinking of picking one up, but have held off.

Is the lag very noticeable on a PC/Mac? Right now that's what I would use the Mayflash for, but I plan to get a RetroPi as well, and would like to use Saturn controllers for any Genesis/Saturn games I end up playing on it.
User avatar
Blu
Next-Gen
 
Posts: 2679
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:09 pm
Location: Dallas, Texas

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by Blu Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:56 pm

I'm really digging those controllers, Racketboy. Thanks for keeping us updated. The Dreamcast ones are really quite nice. I love that the Bluetooth will work with our original consoles. I can't wait to hear more, but I'll definitely be picking up the Dreamcast controllers.
User avatar
racketboy
Site Admin
 
Posts: 9364
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 8:28 pm
Location: Michigan

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

by racketboy Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:17 pm

Blu wrote:I'm really digging those controllers, Racketboy. Thanks for keeping us updated. The Dreamcast ones are really quite nice. I love that the Bluetooth will work with our original consoles. I can't wait to hear more, but I'll definitely be picking up the Dreamcast controllers.


A few concerns I have about the Dreamcast ones (some minor some less minor)
* I wonder if the VMUs/Rumble with work over Bluetooth
* That receiver looks rather large!
* I'm guessing their is a low chance of a black receiver to go with my black Sega Sports model. I love having black consoles in my home theatre setup...
Return to General Gaming

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: prfsnl_gmr and 6 guests