Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Post by fastbilly1 »

racketboy wrote:A few concerns I have about the Dreamcast ones (some minor some less minor)
* I wonder if the VMUs/Rumble with work over Bluetooth
* That receiver looks rather large!
* I'm guessing their is a low chance of a black receiver to go with my black Sega Sports model. I love having black consoles in my home theatre setup...

Rumble is likely, VMU we will have to wait and see. You can easily paint or dye the receiver if you really must have an all black setup.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

Note wrote:Please keep us posted on your findings with the Mayflash USB adapter and the Saturn controllers. I was thinking of picking one up, but have held off.

Is the lag very noticeable on a PC/Mac? Right now that's what I would use the Mayflash for, but I plan to get a RetroPi as well, and would like to use Saturn controllers for any Genesis/Saturn games I end up playing on it.

Sorry for the delay, I've been dealing with the winter weather here for the last little bit.

I tested the Mayflash with the SS pad, and it was a no-go. I'm sure there are scripts out there for it, or maybe it works with another distro (I'm using plain old Lakka), but it was not plug-n-play for me.

As for lag, I'd say it's not too bad. I emulated with the pad for years and it didn't bother me. I only really started to notice when I played Sonic Mania (because I couldn't resist playing it with an official Sega Saturn pad!). I played through the game with minimal issues, but it was definitely there. When I moved onto Cuphead and it's airtight gameplay I switched to the iBuffalo pretty quick, because even on a CRT monitor it was a noticeable difference. I know everyone has their own lag tolerance, but if the difference is the gap between Sonic Mania and Cuphead controls, I'd say it's a pretty small one.

Speaking of the iBuffalo, I have fixed the sticky D-pad issue. I popped it open (to find a very simple layout, I can post pictures if anyone want's to see), and I found that the D-pad had a small burr of plastic--like an injection molding remnant--on the right side. I sliced that off and filed it smooth and it's good as new, I'm back to a 5-star happy customer.

A Raphnet Saturn adapter is definitely on my list this year if these USB pads aren't up to snuff. The SNES controller is fine but nothing beats a Saturn pad for me.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

Regarding the bluetooth wireless Dreamcast pads, I expect the VMU will work fine.

A wireless bluetooth controller already technically exists thanks to a modder. They're called Dreamconn or something and VMUs work fine from what I gather.
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Considering that is the only way to save, (versus the secondary oXbox mem card in controller) I highly doubt they'd omit VMU compatibility.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Any idea on release dates? The more I use this Hyperkin 6-pad, the more I hate it. :|

But I guess I'd rather keep using it for now instead of using my Buffalo controller for Sega stuff... since that just isn't right haha.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I'm pretty far behind as I just found out about these yesterday. I'm very excited for these as I've been wanting a wireless Dreamcast controller since I originally joined this forum. This would give me an excuse to play DC games yet again despite having spent over $200 on Steam games in December. :lol:
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

chuckster wrote:
Sorry for the delay, I've been dealing with the winter weather here for the last little bit.

I tested the Mayflash with the SS pad, and it was a no-go. I'm sure there are scripts out there for it, or maybe it works with another distro (I'm using plain old Lakka), but it was not plug-n-play for me.

As for lag, I'd say it's not too bad. I emulated with the pad for years and it didn't bother me. I only really started to notice when I played Sonic Mania (because I couldn't resist playing it with an official Sega Saturn pad!). I played through the game with minimal issues, but it was definitely there. When I moved onto Cuphead and it's airtight gameplay I switched to the iBuffalo pretty quick, because even on a CRT monitor it was a noticeable difference. I know everyone has their own lag tolerance, but if the difference is the gap between Sonic Mania and Cuphead controls, I'd say it's a pretty small one.

Speaking of the iBuffalo, I have fixed the sticky D-pad issue. I popped it open (to find a very simple layout, I can post pictures if anyone want's to see), and I found that the D-pad had a small burr of plastic--like an injection molding remnant--on the right side. I sliced that off and filed it smooth and it's good as new, I'm back to a 5-star happy customer.

A Raphnet Saturn adapter is definitely on my list this year if these USB pads aren't up to snuff. The SNES controller is fine but nothing beats a Saturn pad for me.

Good looks on the review for the Mayflash adapter, that's too bad to hear that it wasn't up to par. Is the Raphnet adapter available on any sites? It's sold out on the Raphnet site.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Everything looks right with these controllers. Here's hoping that the controllers feel as good as they look. We're going to need hands-on impressions from someone who plays fighting games. When do you suppose that reviewers will get their hands on these?
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

https://twitter.com/HDRetrovision/statu ... 1725835264

This is unrelated to what RetroBit is doing; but a cool option too for people looking for a component cable solution. I'm not up-to-speed on the technical pieces, but component sounds like a good idea if your TV doesn't allow for VGA.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Not many sets are able to handle 240p over component. There's a compatibility list in reddit and it's rough. It's limited to basically 2 manufacturers and it's still spotty.

Many people using these cables are going:
240p Retro vision component > d terminal adapter > XRGB mini > HDMI out

Fortunately for the DC, you can force the vast majority of games into 480p!

This is a cool option and because of the mostly 480p friendly library this is a MUCH better all around solution. I didn't understand the cables for Genesis and SNES if most users still needed a XRGB. You could've just used SCART to XRGB for a cheaper option.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5