Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Blu
Next-Gen

Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Post by Blu »

Retro-bit is partnering with Sega to release some USB controllers for Genesis, Saturn, and Dreamcast. https://www.hardcoregamer.com/2017/12/1 ... es/284034/

I’m curious about build quality but interested in having a USB Dreamcast and Genesis controller.

Also interested in seeing what the models will be. If there’s not a genesis six button I may just get all three.

Edit by Racketboy: Here's the confirmation with pics http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/10/ret ... -revealed/
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Post by Jagosaurus »

Within a thread on the emulate sub forum I was just asking about USB Genesis options. Looks like I'll be getting one of those!
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Really looking forward to seeing more concrete info on this development!
Tanooki
Next-Gen

Post by Tanooki »

I am too because there's a bad combo here potentially behind it. Retro-bit is rarely coveted for quality materials or builds, and Sega will license to anyone for anything. Look how many years atgames got away using the firecore emulator for those Genesis systems without caring.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

Tanooki wrote:I am too because there's a bad combo here potentially behind it. Retro-bit is rarely coveted for quality materials or builds, and Sega will license to anyone for anything. Look how many years atgames got away using the firecore emulator for those Genesis systems without caring.

I'm kinda dreading the same thing. The Sega brand has been used and abused for too long.

Retro-bit isn't always bad; they're just inconsistent. They have (on more than one occasion) built some quality third party controllers. Right now Retro-bit includes a USB Sega Genesis controller with every "Generations" emulation console they sell. I'm guessing that the licensed Sega Genesis controller will be functionally identical to this controller.

When Nintendolife(dot)com reviewed the console they made a note of the controller build quality.
NintendoLife wrote:It's worth noting that while the controllers have USB connectors (at the end of a generous length of cable, it should also be noted), we couldn't get any other USB pads to function on the device. The pads are actually really comfortable to use, so the fact you can't substitute them isn't a deal-breaker; the rolling D-pad is precise and the buttons feel decent enough.

Source: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/1 ... enerations

That's not exactly a glowing review, but it's not terribad either. I believe this will be indicative of the forthcoming licensed controllers. Honestly, anything is better quality than at@games! :lol:

It will be nice to get new dreamcast controllers too. Maybe an improvement over the original design? The dreamcast could use a better d-pad. Maybe something closer to the Saturn 3D controller? Here's hoping! 8)
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

It's really hard to make a good Genesis controller I guess. The Hyperkin one I got kind of sucks. Wish I could get something like the Buffalo SNES controller I have, which is incredible quality.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

I dig the Retro Bit Retro Trio clone and the SNES style controllers that came with it. They're serviceable and do feel nice, just lighter.

I did accidentally rip one of the controller wires out a bit exposing the wires under the sheath which could be a quality control issue. I imagine those were made relatively middle of the road as you can still use all of the original controllers.

On the flip side, I have a 6 button retro bit Genesis controller from about 6 years ago & it works but the buttons are too "squishy." I'd give that controller a 5/10.

Hopefully because these are a specific product they'll be legit. Another piece is properly making them to interface with Windows, Mac, Linux so all the popular emulators recognize them. Every emulator I've used (besides outdated 3D0 emus) have recognized my Buffalo SNES USB pad. That's necessary or the controller is useless.
nightrnr
Next-Gen

Post by nightrnr »

I am super skeptical about Sega controllers.
Even the late release Sega 6-button controllers (by Majesco?, the one with the turbo function) were sub-par for me. That and the performance 6-button pads were good enough to get me started back in the day, but basically failed me after a year or 2.

The original Sega 6-button controller is great though and really set the bar for me; only being matched by the Saturn model 2 controllers.

Dreamcast D-pads were fine for me, actually. I have always liked how smooth they roll and was able to really improve my game with them playing Cap vs SNK. My only gripe was the 4 button layout for other fighting games that cater to 6 buttons. My most used one is getting a little TOO squishy on the right though :| . Saturn converters save the day though :D .

I may have to try that SNES buffalo controller, as the SNES was the only other system besides the big Sega 3 to really get the D-pad right for me (N64 is basically the same D-pad, but awkward shape for a digital controller, more for 3D gameplay). If they got the Buffalo close to quality, it would really be an asset to emulation, and a must have for a pi setup.
...wondering if USB Saturn adapters work on the pi...
...just another lost soul...
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Xeogred wrote:It's really hard to make a good Genesis controller I guess. The Hyperkin one I got kind of sucks. Wish I could get something like the Buffalo SNES controller I have, which is incredible quality.

I'm betting they are shopping around for existing plastic molds and theirs less to choose from out there for Sega stuff and they don't want to pony up to create their own mold.
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I just hope for a decent PCB I can retrofit into an existing controller. It being a solid controller would be ideal for obvious reasons, but I will take what I can.