Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Post by samsonlonghair »

Blu wrote:https://twitter.com/HDRetrovision/status/960184261725835264

This is unrelated to what RetroBit is doing; but a cool option too for people looking for a component cable solution. I'm not up-to-speed on the technical pieces, but component sounds like a good idea if your TV doesn't allow for VGA.

Component cables offer better separation and a better signal-to-noise ratio compared to traditional composite video cables.

That said, component cables are an analog solution that cannot change the resolution of a digital image. Some Dreamcast games can output at 480p (same resolution as Wii), but other Dreamcast games only output 240p/480i (similar resolution to PS1). Not all modern televisions can support all resolutions. If your TV set cannot support a 240p or 480i resolution, no component cable can change that. Double check which resolutions your digital TV set can support.

On the other hand, a VGA cable is also an analog solution which cannot change the resolution of a digital image. So we would still run into the same problem either way. The real problem here is that we are using the TV to upscale an image that it was never designed to display. This causes dreaded input lag.

What we need is to find a way to output a digital video signal from the Dreamcast. That way we can send 1080p directly to the screen, and the TV set doesn't need to waste precious milliseconds up scaling our arcade games.

Such a device isn't impossible to build; it just takes a lot of r&d. Maybe some fpga can use the dreamcast expansion bus? I would need to look up more info to see how that port works. A more viable immediate solution would be to output your video from a Dreamcast emulator. Then crank up those resolutions high as you like. 8)
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Blu wrote:https://twitter.com/HDRetrovision/status/960184261725835264

This is unrelated to what RetroBit is doing; but a cool option too for people looking for a component cable solution. I'm not up-to-speed on the technical pieces, but component sounds like a good idea if your TV doesn't allow for VGA.

Yeah I'm pretty excited about that :)
marurun

Post by marurun »

Unfortunately, component still becomes an upscaled mess on modern TVs. Alas!
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

marurun wrote:Unfortunately, component still becomes an upscaled mess on modern TVs. Alas!

I guess it depends on what you have. I've been happy with how the HD Retrovision cables have output for my Genesis and Saturn on my 6.5 yr old Plasma
marurun

Post by marurun »

racketboy wrote:
marurun wrote:Unfortunately, component still becomes an upscaled mess on modern TVs. Alas!

I guess it depends on what you have. I've been happy with how the HD Retrovision cables have output for my Genesis and Saturn on my 6.5 yr old Plasma

Plasma screens are typically better about upscaling and response times. Typical LCDs are shite, though. Component is still gonna look like crap on a 1080p LCD.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

racketboy wrote:

Is your Plasma a Samsung? I have 3 Vizio LCDs & had another Sony Bravia LCD (RIP!) and none of them accept 240p over component.

One of those older Vizios is a higher end studio style monitor. It was 1080p when 720 was the standard around 2007. The set is a beast and I see it in a lot of AV set ups & sound booths. It's handled almost everything I've thrown at it with one exception. It even accepts PAL signals such as 576i. Found that out by accident. But... no 240p over compobent :(

This chart lays it out... not many sets accept 240p over component. Once your plasma dies you're going to be using those cables with XRGB and D terminal upscaled to HDMI (or hunting down a specific set on this list on ebay/at pawns). At that point, RGB SCART to XRGB would've been cheaper. This is why the product confuses me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrogaming/co ... mment_list

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Panasonic
Jagosaurus
Next-Gen

Post by Jagosaurus »

Nice. Good to know. I haven't actually dug into that list in months. Is your set listed?

Another great feature of 240p over component is the ability to play PS1 games from a PS2 hooked up via component. Right now I have to swap between composite (PS1 games) & component (PS2).

Back to related to OP, wish there was a similar list of monitors that accept DC VGA natively.

My Retro Achievements Profile | My Console Mods
"Victory and honor do not grow from timid seeds" -Arbiter, Halo 5
Blu
Next-Gen

Post by Blu »

Quick update on this -- it feels like we've been in the dark for some time on these controllers. Looks like they showcased these during Gamescom. Dreamcast looks to be missing, but Mega Drive / Genesis and Saturn controllers come out this November.

http://retrorgb.com/retrobit-to-show-of ... escon.html

Additional images: https://imgur.com/a/2jvjnrM
Nemoide
Next-Gen

Post by Nemoide »

They certainly look great and I can see myself buying at *least* one of these.

But I'm still a little cautious and want to read reviews before I get *too* excited. I was burned once on an officially licensed Saturn USB controller (the "Play Sega" controller) and it broke after about a week.