Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Re: Sega Licensed USB Controllers

Post by samsonlonghair »

fastbilly1 wrote:I just hope for a decent PCB I can retrofit into an existing controller. It being a solid controller would be ideal for obvious reasons, but I will take what I can.

What's your plan, fast? You want to use the buttons and rubber domes from a legit Sega controller and the PCB from a Licensed USB controller? Then you stick those into the shell from the original controller with a USB cord coming out?

I hadn't really thought of that before. It could work assuming that the buttons and rubber domes all line up perfectly with the contact points on the PCB. It's an interesting plan, fast. Let me know if it pans out.
Note
Next-Gen

Post by Note »

nightrnr wrote:I am super skeptical about Sega controllers.
Even the late release Sega 6-button controllers (by Majesco?, the one with the turbo function) were sub-par for me. That and the performance 6-button pads were good enough to get me started back in the day, but basically failed me after a year or 2.

The original Sega 6-button controller is great though and really set the bar for me; only being matched by the Saturn model 2 controllers.

Dreamcast D-pads were fine for me, actually. I have always liked how smooth they roll and was able to really improve my game with them playing Cap vs SNK. My only gripe was the 4 button layout for other fighting games that cater to 6 buttons. My most used one is getting a little TOO squishy on the right though :| . Saturn converters save the day though :D .

I may have to try that SNES buffalo controller, as the SNES was the only other system besides the big Sega 3 to really get the D-pad right for me (N64 is basically the same D-pad, but awkward shape for a digital controller, more for 3D gameplay). If they got the Buffalo close to quality, it would really be an asset to emulation, and a must have for a pi setup.
...wondering if USB Saturn adapters work on the pi...

Yeah, the Majesco six-button controllers are awful. I have two that I got with the Model 3 Genesis upon it's release, and both of them have stopped working, and I barely used them.

Fingers crossed that these are decent quality ... would really like to have quality USB 6-button Genesis or Saturn controllers for ROMs or RetroPi.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

You know what would be cool? A bluetooth six-button Genesis or Saturn controller that doesn't stink. No more infrared nonsense. None of the garbage that at@games shovels out. Just a good, solid bluetooth controller like the PS4 or XBone controller, except for sega nerds like us! 8)

A man can dream. :)
Retrogameresource
16-bit

Post by Retrogameresource »

Yea a saturn model 2 bluetooth would be my go to for most games. My favorite overall controller is SNES, but sega d pads set the bar.

I dont even have a working sega saturn controller at this time, so obviously I am in the market. Though I do have the Saturn 3D controller somewhere at my parents house.
http://retrogameresource.com/ Your Source for Retro Game Curation
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

samsonlonghair wrote:
fastbilly1 wrote:I just hope for a decent PCB I can retrofit into an existing controller. It being a solid controller would be ideal for obvious reasons, but I will take what I can.

What's your plan, fast? You want to use the buttons and rubber domes from a legit Sega controller and the PCB from a Licensed USB controller? Then you stick those into the shell from the original controller with a USB cord coming out?

I hadn't really thought of that before. It could work assuming that the buttons and rubber domes all line up perfectly with the contact points on the PCB. It's an interesting plan, fast. Let me know if it pans out.

That is my backup, aslong as the PCB is good.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen

Post by samsonlonghair »

samsonlonghair wrote:

fastbilly1 wrote:That is my backup, aslong as the PCB is good.

Groovy! Please update this topic some time in the future if/when you move forward with this project. I'd be interested to see how it turns out.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

samsonlonghair wrote:You know what would be cool? A bluetooth six-button Genesis or Saturn controller that doesn't stink. No more infrared nonsense. None of the garbage that at@games shovels out. Just a good, solid bluetooth controller like the PS4 or XBone controller, except for sega nerds like us! 8)

A man can dream. :)

Pretty sure those just got confirmed, along with a bluetooth Dreamcast controller...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
racketboy
Site Admin

Post by racketboy »

Yup here you go
http://segabits.com/blog/2018/01/10/ret ... -revealed/

nice to see a good lineup.

interesting to see the Dreamcast VGA adapter show with the old official design. Looks like they just bought the rights to all the old original molds and added the new USB and Bluetooth guts for the controllers. That's not a bad thing, but not having an HDMI adapter for the Dreamcast is telling they they kinda went for the "easy" way out.

From a business standpoint, they probably got a good enough deal on the rights and they figure they can move enough units to make a profit.
Reprise
Next-Gen

Post by Reprise »

racketboy wrote:interesting to see the Dreamcast VGA adapter show with the old official design. Looks like they just bought the rights to all the old original molds and added the new USB and Bluetooth guts for the controllers. That's not a bad thing, but not having an HDMI adapter for the Dreamcast is telling they they kinda went for the "easy" way out.

Actually, I was thinking how cool it was that they're releasing new VGA boxes, but you raise a good point that an affordable and official HDMI adapter would have been way more convenient.

People are saying that Retro-Bit also said at the convention that consoles are in the pipeline. Of course, take that with a grain of salt...
Own: Sega Mega Drive, Sega Saturn, Sega Dreamcast, Playstation 1, Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation 5, PS Vita, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, Nintendo Gamecube, Nintendo Wii U, Nintendo Gameboy Advance, Nintendo DS, Nintendo New 3DS, Nintendo Switch

My gaming blog: https://366gamestoplay.wordpress.com

PSN ID: Anesthetize666
Nintendo Switch ID: SW-8077-5145-0328
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

Any word on price?