The thread about Spiritual Sequels

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

The thread about Spiritual Sequels

Post by noiseredux »

recently when we were talking about series that have died, the subject of spiritual sequels came up. For instance, my first thought was to say that Clock Tower was dead, but in a weird way I felt like it had just received a sequel since Nightcry was totally a new Clock Tower without the name Clock Tower. So it got me thinking about starting a thread to talk about and discover spiritual sequels.

I guess too we should talk about how to define such a thing. There's definitely some blurred lines. Like, Alien: Infestation is clearly an homage to 2D Metroid games. But is it a spiritual sequel? I don't really think so. But why? Are we defining these as games that have some sort of involvement from original creators? Are they only games that fill a niche from series that are no more?

Is Bloodstained a spiritual sequel to Castlevania?
Is The Evil Within a spiritual sequel to Resident Evil (4)?
Is Mighty No. 9 a spiritual sequel to Mega Man?
Is Redout a spiritual sequel to F-Zero?

Anyway, I'm sort of just rambling on the topic here. Feel free to discuss or just post interesting spiritual sequels that are coming out or just overlooked.
Segata
Next-Gen

Re: The thread about Spiritual Sequels

Post by Segata »

Fast Racing Neo/RMX is the successor to F-Zero.
Dragon's Crown is no doubt the successor to D&D arcades. Same director and so many influences it may as well be D&D.
Mighty No 9 is a successor to little more than nothing. Gunvolt games are the successor to Mega Man.
Undertale may as well be Mother 4 with a different battle system.
Gunhound EX was the new Assult Leynos until they remade ASL (same developer)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

It's definitely fair, I think, to call the Fast Racing series a spiritual successor to F-Zero as well as Mighty Number 9 with Mega Man. The Evil Within probably tried to be one for Resident Evil 4, but as I have an unabridged loathing for that game, I'll not comment on that one.

Let's also remember Freedom Planet and Sonic (although since Freedom Planet started off as a Sonic fan project IIRC, that's not surprising).
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I know that Freedom Planet has a lot of Sonic DNA, but there are so many changes to how it plays that... I dunno, I think it might diverge a bit too much to be a spiritual sequel. I do know that I liked FP more than any of the Sonic games.

Eh, it's a borderline case for me, I can see the argument for inclusion.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I consider Bayonetta to be a Spiritual Sequel to Devil May Cry. Aside them being made by the same person, they also have a lot more than genre in common, and Bayonetta riffs on DMC all over the place.

I have seen I am Setsuna called a "Spiritual Sequel" to Chrono Trigger (Even though that game has a sequel), but its these sort of "We copied one thing" successors that don't really do it for me. Homage, maybe, mostly inspiration, but I think you need to bring over more than just core mechancis to be a true "Spiritual Sequel"

noiseredux wrote: Like, Alien: Infestation is clearly an homage to 2D Metroid games. But is it a spiritual sequel? I don't really think so.

I think once a game's methods are so successful that they become a genre of their own, I tend to not consider newer games "Spiritual Sequels". That said, sometimes games can still come really close within that genre (Axiom Verge is very Metroid, even within the "metroidvania" genre).
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

Post by Sload Soap »

Dark Souls and King's Field.

Bioshock and System Shock.

Timesplitters and Perfect Dark for Goldeneye.

Fallout and Wasteland.

Seems to happen if a developer loses the rights to the original IP or staff from one company move to/set up their own.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think spiritual sequels really do need to have some kind of connective tissue, like some of the same key team members effectively continuing their work under a new publisher. I agree with others that spiritual sequels have to be more than merely clones or knock-offs.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Some games are labor of love spiritual sequels, whilst some games are total ripoffs that become popular due to mainstream ignorance of the source material. Deciding which is which can provide endless subjective debate.

Labor of love spiritual sequel example: Undertale (very Mother inspired)

Popular ripoff example: Stardew Valley (shamelessly apes Harvest Moon)

Sload Soap wrote:Dark Souls and King's Field

This is a popular misconception that FromSoftware has come out on record to disavow multiple times. One example:

“I feel that King's Field and Dark Souls are two separate entities. For starters, yes, the perspective is different, but also they are guided by differing core game design concepts. As for a revival of King's Field, that’s a very difficult question. This is because King's Field is the brainchild of From's former president Naotoshi Jin, and if I or anyone else were to attempt a revival of the series, we would run the risk of creating a pale imitation. On a personal level, the first King's Field was one of my favorite games when I was just a gamer myself, and I believe there would be fascinating ways to bring it back, but all of these ideas would be contingent on Jin serving as director.” -Hidetaka Miyazaki ( source )

I honestly believe Shadow Tower has more in common with Demon's Souls / Dark Souls than King's Field does.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

marurun wrote:I think spiritual sequels really do need to have some kind of connective tissue, like some of the same key team members effectively continuing their work under a new publisher. I agree with others that spiritual sequels have to be more than merely clones or knock-offs.

This is why I was thinking RE4 and The Evil Within. (And Bloodstained and Mighty No. 9).

Exhuminator wrote:Popular ripoff example: Stardew Valley (shamelessly apes Harvest Moon)

In fairness, I'd call Stardew a definite labor of love. That guy worked for years trying to make a new HM-style game that would appeal to him the way that HM did. I feel like he was really trying to fill a niche and not just rip something off. Although you did precede this statement with admitting that deciding which is which is subjective. So carry on, haha.

That being said - isn't there an actual spiritual sequel to the HM games? I forget what it's called, but it's by the same developer? Or am I screwing up that story?
marurun

Post by marurun »

Final Fantasy Tactics is something of a spiritual continuation of the Tactics Ogre games.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.