Collections within a collection.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Re: Collections within a collection.

Post by dunpeal2064 »

I love doing stuff like this, though it is usually on a small scale (complimentary games and such). One that I am currently working on is to have every Data East developed game that was ported to the Sega Genesis. Its only 4 titles, but I enjoy them all to some extent (VT and AR are god-tier), and something about Data East is just so charming.

I've also been making a point to purchase every physical game that Nicalis has released for the Switch. This is mostly to support what I think is the best approach for releasing smaller games (Low cost, lots of goodies, fairly well-vetted games, no touting of "super limited", no Limited Editions of already limited releases, etc). Luckily for me, they have also been good-to-wonderful games so far!
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

dunpeal2064 wrote:I love doing stuff like this, though it is usually on a small scale (complimentary games and such). One that I am currently working on is to have every Data East developed game that was ported to the Sega Genesis. Its only 4 titles, but I enjoy them all to some extent (VT and AR are god-tier), and something about Data East is just so charming.

Only four? Are you sure, dunpeal?

Off the top of my head, I know Atomic Runner, Bad Dudes, Two Crude Dudes, Captain America, Vapor Trail and Side Pocket. Google Seems to indicate that High Seas Havoc was also an arcade game as well. Apparently it was up-ported from Genesis to Arcade in Korea. Who knew?

What about Outrunners? I know it was developed by AM1, but I think the Genesis port was published by Data East.

I'm pretty sure Dashin' Desperados was never an arcade game. Mega Turrican "feels" arcade~ish, but I don't think it was ever an arcade game. Solid game either way. I'm pretty sure Minnesota Fats was never an arcade game. :lol:

I guess you might need to consider expanding your collection ever so slightly.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

You forgot Darwin 4081! :lol: and Midnight Resistance how could you >=O

I should have specified, I am really only looking to get the games that I suspect (With some confirmation via old interviews) were both developed in-house and ported in-house by DECO. These 4 games (Atomic Runner, Vapor Trail, Midnight Resistance, and Two Crude Dudes) scream DECO, and tend to have thoroughly-loved port handling (Often outclassing their arcade counterparts).

Bad Dudes would make the list if it were on the Genesis, though, for sure. :)

Definitely mislead with my original post, though, as I've been looking at and playing these 4 games so much recently that I forgot there were others! In general, even with my mini complimentary collections, I can't stand chaff on the shelf, so stuff like Side Pockets would end up getting axed.
samsonlonghair
Next-Gen
Location: Now: Newport News, VA. Formerly: Richmond. Before that: Near the WV/VA border

Post by samsonlonghair »

dunpeal2064 wrote:You forgot Darwin 4081! :lol: and Midnight Resistance how could you >=O

Bad Dudes would make the list if it were on the Genesis, though, for sure. :)

You got me, dunpeal! :lol: Bad Dudes was released on a bunch of platforms, butnever released to Genesis. You were right and I was wrong on that one. I totally forgot Darwin 4081 and Midnight Resistance too. Man, my memory is shot.

dunpeal2064 wrote: In general, even with my mini complimentary collections, I can't stand chaff on the shelf, so stuff like Side Pockets would end up getting axed.
I can't blame you for separating the wheat from the chaff. I tend to keep my "wheat" games on the top shelf and my "chaff" games on the bottom shelf.

dunpeal2064 wrote:I should have specified, I am really only looking to get the games that I suspect (With some confirmation via old interviews) were both developed in-house and ported in-house by DECO. These 4 games (Atomic Runner, Vapor Trail, Midnight Resistance, and Two Crude Dudes) scream DECO, and tend to have thoroughly-loved port handling (Often outclassing their arcade counterparts).
Those are all really good ports. I like your taste in games, dunpeal.

By the way, have you checked out Data East Arcade Classics on Wii? That's a really solid compilation.
marurun

Post by marurun »

dunpeal2064 wrote:You forgot Darwin 4081! :lol: and Midnight Resistance how could you >=O

I should have specified, I am really only looking to get the games that I suspect (With some confirmation via old interviews) were both developed in-house and ported in-house by DECO. These 4 games (Atomic Runner, Vapor Trail, Midnight Resistance, and Two Crude Dudes) scream DECO, and tend to have thoroughly-loved port handling (Often outclassing their arcade counterparts).

I seriously question how much actual development DECO themselves did on, say, Midnight Resistance. According to sources cited on Wikipedia: "The Mega Drive/Genesis version was developed by Data East with the companies ISCO and Opera House". Hitoshi Sakimoto did the MD music, and I think he did contract work to Opera House for a few years, which lends credence to this claim.

As folks are quick to point out on the PCEngineFX forums, just because a particular company is listed as the developer doesn't mean they didn't subcontract a lot of the work. It really seems you have to track individuals rather than companies.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Does a video game CD soundtrack collection count as it's own thing or a collection within a collection? I have quite a big stack of VG OST's on CD that I bought over time and of course a few that were included with the release of the game.
marurun

Post by marurun »

I think that counts as a separate collection.

But it's still a collection.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
dunpeal2064
Next-Gen

Post by dunpeal2064 »

marurun wrote:

I seriously question how much actual development DECO themselves did on, say, Midnight Resistance. According to sources cited on Wikipedia: "The Mega Drive/Genesis version was developed by Data East with the companies ISCO and Opera House". Hitoshi Sakimoto did the MD music, and I think he did contract work to Opera House for a few years, which lends credence to this claim.

As folks are quick to point out on the PCEngineFX forums, just because a particular company is listed as the developer doesn't mean they didn't subcontract a lot of the work. It really seems you have to track individuals rather than companies.

What makes me wonder about this, though, is that one of DECO's other Genesis ports (Atomic Runner I think? Was either that or Vapor Trail) was confirmed in a 90s interview to have been done in-house but still had music arranged by Sakimoto. No confirmation on MR, but it had a similar arrange treatment. I'll have to dig back through scanlations and see if I can find the info I am thinking of.

Certainly agree though, companies tend to be tracked much more than individuals. This has become painfully obvious when seeing people react to the new Bayonetta announcements as "Devil May Cry Ripoffs", appearing to be completely unaware of the person behind the games. Hard to blame, though, since other than guys like Miyamoto and Kojima, the names aren't usually even provided, and in older eras, are often absent even from the game's own credit screens! (Damn all those nicknames everyone used, I just want to know who worked on what!!)

samsonlonghair wrote: Those are all really good ports. I like your taste in games, dunpeal.

By the way, have you checked out Data East Arcade Classics on Wii? That's a really solid compilation.

Thanks 8)

I have wanted to check that compilation out for some time now, but only recently started buying Wii games again. I need to hunt it down. Never heard much about it, glad to hear it is a good comp!
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

Post by Gunstar Green »

Atomic Runner on Genesis is sick. It's one of those ports that actually improves upon the arcade original. The music is amazing too.
Jmustang1968
Next-Gen

Post by Jmustang1968 »

Hmm let's see...

I have a majority of released RPGs on majot systems. However, I lack a lot of the monster collecting type games (pokemoks/digimons etc) and some of the action RPGs.

Say for SNES I am missing Secret of the Stars and Brandish, though I owned both at one point

I have just about every Ogre Battle series release in NA and Japan, even thr NGPC Ogre Battle Gaiden. I think I am missing the SFC Tactics Ogre and JPN N64 OB64. I also have the PAL Collector Edition release of thr PSP TO remake.

I own every numbered Final Fantasy release in NA and some of the offshoots. I believe I am missing Chocobo Dungeons and Crystal Chronicles games, but have everything else.

I have also made some effort into getting all Atlus and Working Designs releases. I was really close to WD at one point, but Exile Wicked Phenomenon proved too elusive. I ended up selling the PS1 shmups, so i am further. Atlus is one I will probably never actually complete, but I wouod say I have atleast 80%...