Collections within a collection.

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Collections within a collection.

Post by Segata »

Do you have any series you collect for within your game collection? I have a few. Ys is the biggest (I don't have the space to photograph all of it tbh) Since I can't do Ys since well as mentioned don't have the space to get it all in one shot. I figured as an example use Xenoblade. A series I love and have a little collection for. You don't have to take a picture. If you want to list or just talk about some series you have collections for. No specific way you have to show or talk about them.

=========================================================================================================================

As one example is Xenoblade. I first saw the game at E3 2009 in a short trailer for a game called Monando Begining of the World. I wanted to know more but like Cosmic Walker NOA just never said anything after that. As many of you know the game wasn't even going to be released in NA. Operation Rainfall began and with Xenoblade, The Last Story and Pandora's Tower eventually did release in NA thanks to passionate fans. I bought all three from Gamestation (RIP) in the UK online store and had them shipped overseas. When they were released in the US I re-bought TLS and XB. I loved Xenoblade so much it was the first time since 2004 I put in a long gaming session. 19 hours. I finished the game and started again. I beat the game 3-4 times within 2 years and not done that since Ys and before that Grandia II. I've been hooked on the series since. What I love most are the huge and imaginative worlds.

These games remind me why I so fucking love this medium. Fun and great imagination. IMO too many games focus on recreating something that exists but I play games to take me to worlds I can only dream of like a Reading Rainbow kid. :P Seeing the Mechonis above me for the first time in the first game took my breath away like Berlin in Top Gun. XCX let me explore a massive alien planet with mechs and it was glorious. XC2 recreates that feeling with the first game except with the Titans you were running around on. Seeing their heads move around thousands of feet up in the distance is something that makes it more amazing. The music in these games is fantastic. I even enjoyed X's a good deal. I'm not always a huge fan of the character designs but always find everything else fantastic. It's a series that enraptures me every time I turn one of the games on.

Last edited by Segata on Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CRTGAMER
Next-Gen

Re: Collections within a collection.

Post by CRTGAMER »

Please reduce your attached picture width to 725 wide to prevent text box from extending beyond the default width in the original Racketboy Theme. Weird that under image command your text box still extends.

EDIT
Removed large picture based on your reply below.
Last edited by CRTGAMER on Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CRT vs LCD - Hardware Mods - HDAdvance - Custom Controllers - Game Storage - Wii Gamecube and other Guides:
CRTGAMER Guides in Board Guides Index: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=1109425#p1109425

Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Not the pic that made that text go out of frame. I just put too many ==== in the post. There is a bug that does that. It's done it to me before when I made topics and had a preview. This time just forgot to check.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I don't have the means or interest to go after full console sets, so this is the only way I "collect."

I guess we'll start old to new.

I'm a big fan of golden age arcade games, so I'm trying to get a home version of all those that were ported and/or featured on a compilation at some point. So, for example, I'm still trying to track down stuff like Mr. Do's Castle, Strategy X, Turtles, Polaris, Frenzy, and many more.

There's a bit of overlap here, but I'm also shooting for some Atari 2600 subsets, based on publisher more so than series. Mainly quality ones like Coleco, Activision, M Network, Sega, and Imagic.... but also some cornball fun ones like U.S. Games and Mythicon.

I managed to nab all the SNES and Saturn RPGs released in North America, as of this year. I'd like a "mostly complete" FDS RPG set - the eroge games are impossible to find.

"Classic Falcom" console ports are a big one for me too (through sixth gen). Have most, but need a few more like the Mega Drive Lord Monarch and Legend of Heroes titles, and all the PSX Falcom stuff.

I'm picking away at Micro Cabin too. Have most of it, but some of the weird visual novel type things have eluded me thus far.

Xtalsoft is an obscure old JRPG developer that I love. Only four of their games are what I'd call accessible to a North American living in 2017 (all the others are for like the PC-88 or FM-7 and whatnot). I have two but damn are those final two hard to track down.

Then there are all the individual series I go after. Mostly RPGs. Like, (retro) Dragon Quest, (retro) Final Fantasy, Hydlide, Dragon Knight, Langrisser, Shining, and many more.

Oh, and games with penguins in them. I like those.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

The closest I got to this was getting nearly every SNES, PSX, and PS2 RPG. I'm closest on the PSX, but never summoned the will to get the rest that I'm missing. And I gave up on keeping up on the PS2 at the end of the life of the system, which means of course the games I'm missing are ridiculously expensive.

I probably should go for it some day. If memory serves, the only thing I'm missing is Dragonseeds, Chocobo's Dungeon 2, and (get ready, Exhuminator!) the King's Field games.

EDIT: Okay, maybe a few more than that. Missing RPG Maker and the Digimon games. And *gulp* Shadow Tower.
Last edited by Sarge on Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:If memory serves, the only thing I'm missing is Dragonseeds, Chocobo's Dungeon 2, and (get ready, Exhuminator!) the King's Field games.

You bring shame upon yourself and your family. But there is still time to mend your misguided ways.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator, I see that your button says to ask you about King's Field. What is King's Field? ;)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I looked into getting a full PSX RPG libray, but it's way too pricey.

PS2 RPG library is way too bloated and fluffy for my tastes. Some good stuff in there, surely, but tons of crap I'd never play.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Sarge wrote:What is King's Field?

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

:twisted:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I looked into getting a full PSX RPG libray, but it's way too pricey.

PS2 RPG library is way too bloated and fluffy for my tastes. Some good stuff in there, surely, but tons of crap I'd never play.

At this point, yeah, it'd be tough to get on the cheap. It makes me glad I kept up with it as best I could back in the day. I probably didn't pay much more than $25 for any game in the collection. No, wait, scratch that, I paid about $10 less than list price for Arc the Lad Collection way back when, and I paid a full $50 when SquareSoft made Xenogears available again. No way was I missing out on that one.

I'm not enthused by how expensive Shadow Tower is. Maybe I'll just not call it an RPG and be done with it. Yeah, that's the ticket. :)

The PS2 RPG library is very strong, but there are definitely some second-tier games that I haven't put a lot of time in. And some that I have; Legaia 2 commanded over 30 hours of my time and I still haven't finished it. I still say that span of time from the SNES to the PS2 was the absolute best for a JRPG fan.

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:What is King's Field?

[img]<span%20class="skimlinks-unlinked">https://i.imgur.com/F9RSZPw.gif</span>[/img]

Seems legit.