Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marlowe221
Next-Gen

Re: Modern "retro" games. The comeback of new retro

by marlowe221 Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:37 pm

Sarge wrote:I think, other than some oddball cameos on some systems (Battletoads on XB1, for example), they're all pretty much the same. There is also a wealth of content at this point; you get the primary campaign, Plague of Shadows which adds a few little changes to the existing stages and a very differently controlling protagonist, Specter of Torment which arranges things differently and a more Ninja Gaiden-ish moveset, and the upcoming King of Cards, which I believe also has all-new stage layouts. I know I'm looking forward to that bit of DLC. :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shovel_Knight

Thanks Sarge.

Maybe I'll get it for the Switch...
Have: Sega Genesis, SNES, Atari 2600, Atari 7800, Atari 800XL, PC, N3DS XL, Wii U, GBA, Xbox One, Switch

Want: Games!!!
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:21 pm

My only gripe for using the Switch is the button d-pad. If you've got a Pro controller, though, you're golden.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:36 pm

3D Realms with some original Duke 3D staff still intact, are using the Build Engine to make ION MAIDEN.

Looks fucking amazing.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/562860/Ion_Maiden/
https://www.neogaf.com/threads/ion-maid ... 7.1404138/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fp7FvJcoINE
Ack

by Ack Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:39 am

It certainly looks and sounds awesome.

It does make me wish we'd get an updated re-release of Blood though. I know, I won't ever get it. But a guy can dream.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
pook99
24-bit

by pook99 Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:26 pm

nullPointer wrote:Have any of you guys played Slain: Back From Hell? it's certainly a beautiful looking game that effectively evokes shades of SotN era Castlevania, but I've not heard great things about the gameplay itself. Still you guys are who I turn to for a more unvarnished approach to these things, so I figured I'd ask here.

I personally loved slain, I heard its initial release was trash so they scrapped many things about it and rereleased it as slain: back from hell.

I thought the game had a good combat system, a nice challenge, and a really cool setting. It has been awhile since I played through it so I can't remember too many specifics but it definitely left a good taste in my mouth.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Tue Mar 06, 2018 11:54 pm

pook99 wrote:
nullPointer wrote:Have any of you guys played Slain: Back From Hell? it's certainly a beautiful looking game that effectively evokes shades of SotN era Castlevania, but I've not heard great things about the gameplay itself. Still you guys are who I turn to for a more unvarnished approach to these things, so I figured I'd ask here.

I personally loved slain, I heard its initial release was trash so they scrapped many things about it and rereleased it as slain: back from hell.

I thought the game had a good combat system, a nice challenge, and a really cool setting. It has been awhile since I played through it so I can't remember too many specifics but it definitely left a good taste in my mouth.

Way too cringy for me.
pook99
24-bit

by pook99 Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:23 pm

Xeogred wrote:
pook99 wrote:

Way too cringy for me.

In what way?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:54 pm

Hard Corps 2 Blazing Chrome looks amazing.

http://www.siliconera.com/2018/03/16/bl ... ning-year/
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:05 am

Super Bomberman R feels like a classic Bomberman complete with 32-bit era midi CD music. Love it.
The new Virtual On released on PS4, for the most part, feels like the DC game and once again that late 90s midi sounding music which I love.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
Nert
8-bit

by Nert Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:31 am

Sarge wrote:My only gripe for using the Switch is the button d-pad. If you've got a Pro controller, though, you're golden.

I absolutely hated the D-Pad on the joycons at first, but after using it a while it wasn't so bad.

----------------------------

Anyway for the topic, I highly recommend the End is Nigh, same people who made Super Meat Boy, has a similar feel but there's no wall jumps. It's more focused on precision platforming. It has a good difficulty curve, and the difficulty is dynamic. You have these little collectables called tumors that are in tough to reach spots and there's one on every screen. So you can choose to skip them and have an easier game or get them and make it tougher. There's a reward based on how many you get but I won't spoil it. :D You get an insane amount of control of the character, and deaths are quick. So it's more about figuring out the best path through the screen and once you know that level becomes easy. Also the soundtrack is rearranged classical tunes which is fantastic!
Return to General Gaming