Modern "retro" games. The comeback of new retro

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Segata
Next-Gen

Modern "retro" games. The comeback of new retro

Post by Segata »

The title is stupid. Anyway, I wanted to talk about this generations resurgence of retro games. Not just of est series like Sonic, Wonderboy or Assault Suit Leynos remakes, ports etc. I'm also talking about new games made to feel and/or look retro. Resogun, Undertale, Battle Chasers, Shovel Knight, Astebreed, Freedom Planet, I am Setsuna and more. While the AAA industry is worried about DLC, Microtransactions, and Loot Crates the mid-tier is back and many of them are giving us games that feel retro in gameplay and/or looks.

I have been loving this gen as PS4, Vita and Switch are just getting loads of these kinds of games. Xbox got Cuphead which looks like Mega Man on steroids. Matterfall may as well be the new Turrican. Neo Chrome is Smash TV. Anyway. Has anyone else enjoyed this resurgence of classic style games? What are some of your favorites and discuss?
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Modern "retro" games. The comeback of new retro

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Yeah I love this kind of stuff, and it's really my only connection to "modern" gaming for the most part. Tons of great "retro" themed games to be found in the eShop, on Steam and GOG.com and so on. I'm mostly into the RPGs - no surprise there - and have even stumbled upon many RPGMaker hidden gems.

I guess the only downside to these types of games is that some (many) are derivative and ordinary, to the point that I'd rather just play an actual retro game. The best ones are made by folks who carefully studied what made retro games good (creative pixel art, infectious chiptune compositions, quirky charm) whilst stripping away the more frustrating elements that appeared frequently in older titles (uneven challenge, insufficient save systems, questionable controls).

The best game of this type is probably Shovel Knight. One of the best action-platformers ever, regardless of era.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Segata wrote:I have been loving this gen as PS4, Vita and Switch are just getting loads of these kinds of games.

PC gets pretty much all the ones that come to console, and a whole lot more that don't.

This year alone I've enjoyed The Mummy Demastered, Blaster Master Zero, Shin Megami Tensei: Synchronicity Prologue (absolutely brilliant and FREE metroidvania more folks need to play), and if it counts Metroid Samus Returns. I'm probably forgetting some others. So yes, I love the neo retro stuff. It's very cool to get to play a new "NES" or "Genesis" style of game in this day and age.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Godly:
Shovel Knight

Excellent:
Axiom Verge
Momodora Reverie Under the Moonlight

Good:
Blaster Master Zero
Odallus The Dark Call

My favorites so far.

Game + Mega Man and or Metroid = Me Happy

Cuphead is nothing like Mega Man. And feels weird to count Metroid Samus Returns here, though I guess Blaster Master is an established old series. Didn't have a good track record though.
chuckster
32-bit

Post by chuckster »

I'm a huge fan of 2D action and platforming games, so I'm all for new entries in that genre. Heck, 2D just hooks me way easier these days in general. This has been a great year with Sonic Mania and Cuphead being some of my favorite games so far, and I've enjoyed what little I've played of Wonderboy and The Mummy Demastered as well (Love that Wayforward art). If Shmups count I liked Raiden V.

As for 'neo-retro' games released earlier, there are so many gems, and I'm ashamed at how many I've not played yet. I've still yet to dive into AM2R, Freedom Planet, or Shovel Knight DLC. One I was surprised by was Shantae: Half Genie Hero. It's a very smooth 2D platformer with great art and characters. It may be a bit on the easy side but it's charming, as are the other games in the series that I've played. It makes me wish for more DS > PC ports so I could check out the library.

I look forward to this thread, it is hard to find a good source/list of modern 2D indie games worth playing.
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

I am absolutely ecstatic that we still get "old-school" games today. I enjoy modern gaming, but there's something about a great retro-styled game that gets me absolutely pumped. Some great games already mentioned here, too.

For my money, Shovel Knight is the absolute best, but Freedom Planet is darn close. I'm not even much of a Sonic fan! AM2R is better than any fan game has a right to be, and Nintendo's official take is also splendid. Blaster Master Zero fixes all my problems with the original.

I liked Odallus, but it's not quite as the same level as the above games. I do have a soft spot, though, for Castle Pixel's output: Rex Rocket and Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King. The former is a tough Mega Man/Metroid mashup, and the latter a take on Link's Awakening.

I'm going to need to sort through a few lists to see what other retro shenanigans I've been up to, but again, it's a good time to be a retro gamer.

EDIT: Oh, right, the Shantae games! Both Pirate's Curse and 1/2 Genie Hero are great, but PC is easily the best of the series.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I need to check out that Castle Pixel stuff. Looks good.

I wish there was a bit more variety among these games. There are SO many roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, and Metroidvanias.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I wish there was a bit more variety among these games. There are SO many roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, and Metroidvanias.

There are some neo-retro RPGs like Cosmic Star Heroine, Pier Solar, and Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King. But you're right, the ratio is way off. I have to assume RPGs are much harder to produce than roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, or metroidvanias.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Exhuminator wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:I wish there was a bit more variety among these games. There are SO many roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, and Metroidvanias.

There are some neo-retro RPGs like Cosmic Star Heroine, Pier Solar, and Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King. But you're right, the ratio is way off. I have to assume RPGs are much harder to produce than roguelikes, dungeon crawlers, or metroidvanias.

Avoid Pier Solar at ALL costs. Outside of the great OST that is one awful AWFUL game. Everything is a damn confusing maze even the towns and it's just woefully off balance in combat. Combat isn't great either. It also does that thing where after a boss you still have to worm your way out of the dungeon fighting enemies then to get a story boss with no rest. What bullshit. Sorry, I know the game has a lot of love and hard work put into it but that doesn't stop it from being a pile of shit.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

Heh, I couldn't stand that game either and I felt bad because everyone else seemed to like it. It's really deficient in so many eras, and the dialogue and story are atrocious.